HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 9:18 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleblanc View Post
This one turned out pretty poorly in my opinion. It fits in with the area well and the massing is fine, but those materials just look so cheap.
In particular the metal cladding often doesn't end up looking very good. And metal cladding seems to be proliferating around the city lately, along with porcelain or ceramic tile as an exterior cladding material.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
In particular the metal cladding often doesn't end up looking very good. And metal cladding seems to be proliferating around the city lately, along with porcelain or ceramic tile as an exterior cladding material.
The more I look it at, the more I dislike. Even if they chose a different colour scheme it would look marginally better.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 10:11 PM

I think I have to differ. The colour scheme is a little...avocado. And I'm over the metal cladding too. But I actually think this works. A little eccentric, perfect scale, good street presence with the brick. It could be better, but it could be much, much worse, too.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 10:45 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
I think I have to differ. The colour scheme is a little...avocado. And I'm over the metal cladding too. But I actually think this works. A little eccentric, perfect scale, good street presence with the brick. It could be better, but it could be much, much worse, too.
The Gottingen rebirth is pretty special as far as North American infill goes. This was a severely decayed area that has maintained an old street network and fine-grained land ownership patterns. There are not a lot of places with this mix of heritage and eclectic smaller scale modern buildings. There is not a lot of Gottingen-era urban fabric in all of North America. St. George's would be the oldest building in almost every other Canadian city, and it's a landmark, not a pioneer log cabin.

I think the North End as a whole is going to be a marquee sort of neighbourhood in the next 5-10 years that will become nationally well-known or even beyond as a cool place for urban enthusiasts to visit or live in. The Plateau is probably an example of where the North End is headed, although the North End seems to have more new construction and holes in the historic fabric.

People might be surprised at how popular Halifax ends up being when it's filled in and cleaned up a little more, and grows a bit more.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 4:29 AM
Somewhat Pretentious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
Definitely aimed at those who eat avocado toast, but despite the design screaming broke millennial lofts I do think it’s an improvement. I think the lack of uniformity in design on Gottingen is what makes the street attractive in the first place.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post

The other interesting one was Case 23401 a 12 story project by Olympus Property Management Limited, submitted by Stephen Adams Consulting Services Inc.
Interesting. I can only assume that it’s former Councillor Steve Adams?

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 1:12 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Baklava View Post
Definitely aimed at those who eat avocado toast, but despite the design screaming broke millennial lofts I do think it’s an improvement. I think the lack of uniformity in design on Gottingen is what makes the street attractive in the first place.
I think it’s pretty average on the whole and has a decent scale and good street presence. Not every building has to stand out or be a landmark, and as you said, Gottingen’s strength is the fine-grained streetscape of small lots and varied buildings.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
Interesting. I can only assume that it’s former Councillor Steve Adams?
I would have to say yes.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Steve-Ad...=page_internal

Quote:
MORE INFO

Additional Information
Retired Member of HRM Council
categories
Consulting Agency

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleblanc View Post
This one turned out pretty poorly in my opinion. It fits in with the area well and the massing is fine, but those materials just look so cheap.
I have to disagree on the basis that it looks a little funky, which seems to blend in well with its surroundings, and the direction that this section of Gottingen is moving towards. Kinda eclectic, in a good sort of way...

The colour palette isn't my favourite, but it sure is a nice change from those cold grey/black themed buildings that are popping up like spring dandelions these days. Nice to see something on a warm palette for a change.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2021, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Small new project for 6459 Bayers Road (northside between Oxford and Connolly). It's 5 floors and 8 units.

Case 23161
Construction permits been issued for 6459 Bayers Road.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2021, 12:29 AM

I guess we don't have a thread for 34Eleven (3411 Joseph Howe Drive)? The construction is now above grade.

See link above

Old Posted Mar 15, 2021, 8:29 PM

My question is always will that be real brick or a precast brick panel? It is looking better in that rendering than I was expecting. But those balconies look tiny. Barely enough room for a chair.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2021, 8:39 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
But those balconies look tiny. Barely enough room for a chair.
I wonder why so many residential buildings have such tiny balconies. They seem like they'd be a relatively affordable way to make buildings much more appealing. I'd guess (though I don't really know) that adding an extra square foot of balcony is relatively cheap compared to a square foot of indoor living space.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2021, 7:28 PM

Quote:
I wonder why so many residential buildings have such tiny balconies. They seem like they'd be a relatively affordable way to make buildings much more appealing. I'd guess (though I don't really know) that adding an extra square foot of balcony is relatively cheap compared to a square foot of indoor living space.
I remember reading an article a while back that looked at this as a somewhat Canadian phenomenon. Where so many multi unit buildings have balconies, no matter how tall the building is and no matter how big the balcony is. It was saying it is not very common in a lot of other countries and made the argument that it is part of the Canadian psych. Where in we all feel like we need that connection to nature. And that having a balcony vs not having one, even if it is not used, somehow provides that connection.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2021, 1:18 PM

I suspect energy code is the main reason for small balconies. When balconies are just an extension of the poured slab they're basically a giant radiator fin to the outside. So energy code has put limits on how big they can be without a thermal break. There are products that add a thermal break, but they're more expensive and complicated.

Developers still add them even if they have to be small because, as Jono says, there's a psychological demand for them; people want them even if they never use them. Also, with more and more buildings using mini-split heat pumps for the AC and/or heat the balcony is a convenient place to hide the outside unit.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2021, 8:21 PM

Quote:
I suspect energy code is the main reason for small balconies. When balconies are just an extension of the poured slab they're basically a giant radiator fin to the outside. So energy code has put limits on how big they can be without a thermal break. There are products that add a thermal break, but they're more expensive and complicated.

Developers still add them even if they have to be small because, as Jono says, there's a psychological demand for them; people want them even if they never use them. Also, with more and more buildings using mini-split heat pumps for the AC and/or heat the balcony is a convenient place to hide the outside unit.
This. And if I understand the energy code correctly, you can basically trade off for different 'energy wasters' up to certain maximum. For example, if you keep the balconies smaller, then you can add more glass and vice versa. There are other trade offs too (R-value, efficient equipment, etc.) You can use different combinations of envelope/equipment items to accomplish what you want while staying within the boundaries set out in the energy code.

That said, in practice, this is a bit of a black art depending on factors outside of what can be anticipated by modelling software (ie. quality of installation and materials enforcement.)

Old Posted Mar 17, 2021, 8:32 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
So energy code has put limits on how big they can be without a thermal break.
So we give people in apartments less outdoor space and they yearn to move into an energy efficient bungalow instead! Another interesting angle is how much this unheated outdoor space reduces the need for heated indoor space.

A lot of apartments are not concrete construction. I'd guess most in metro Halifax but I am not sure. Do you know the dollar cost of installing thermal breaks for the concrete buildings?

Old Posted Mar 18, 2021, 12:39 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

There is a run-down here of an assortment of projects in the city: https://www.saltwire.com/news/canada...pality-564178/

None of them are new to the forum but there are some details about each. I thought Bloomfield was interesting and I am curious to see how the Rapid Housing Initiative projects turn out.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2021, 12:01 PM

Quote:
A lot of apartments are not concrete construction. I'd guess most in metro Halifax but I am not sure. Do you know the dollar cost of installing thermal breaks for the concrete buildings?
With non-concrete construction it's probably relatively easy to do large balconies because you're either attaching them to the exterior, or they're an extension of the wooden floor joists, which are much easier to insulate than concrete extensions.

For concrete construction there are products like this: https://www.schoeck.com/en-us/balcony-products. They're basically a block of foam with rebar through them. I don't think the products themselves are particularly expensive, but the cost comes in the install. With traditional concrete balconies you just do it all in one big pour along with the floor. With this you have to do a lot more preparation and detailing.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 7:48 PM

Quote:
For concrete construction there are products like this: https://www.schoeck.com/en-us/balcony-products. They're basically a block of foam with rebar through them. I don't think the products themselves are particularly expensive, but the cost comes in the install. With traditional concrete balconies you just do it all in one big pour along with the floor. With this you have to do a lot more preparation and detailing.
The only building that I am aware of that has done this is The Maple. It was quoted as a sustainability feature when it was getting approval through the DRC.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth