HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 6:12 AM

I'm impressed. Hopefully this will enliven that dead section of Argyle Street. The Duke Street side looks much improved too.

I just wish the proposal included a canopy over the sidewalk on Argyle.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 2:26 AM

That does seem like an odd omission but it also seems that it's not required or even really encouraged here (based on the design rationale, I don't remember the finer details of HRMbyDesign offhand)

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 4:25 PM

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 7:06 PM

Hmmm... I don't know what to say. It's refreshingly different yet somehow kind of strange looking. But in fairness it's quite a ways from being finished.

I do hope they plan to remove the external cable conduit from the Bell/Aliant building, though.

Really curious as to how it will look when it's done.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2019, 7:03 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Old Posted Jan 26, 2019, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Hmmm... I don't know what to say. It's refreshingly different yet somehow kind of strange looking. But in fairness it's quite a ways from being finished.

I do hope they plan to remove the external cable conduit from the Bell/Aliant building, though.

Really curious as to how it will look when it's done.
I wonder what sort of thinking drove the decision to have such a sharply sloped roof. I know they call it "lofts" but there does not seem to be any habitable space up there judging from the lack of windows.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2019, 1:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I wonder what sort of thinking drove the decision to have such a sharply sloped roof. I know they call it "lofts" but there does not seem to be any habitable space up there judging from the lack of windows.
Yes, that's part of what drove my thought process... and the proportions of the tall section. The strange arrangement of windows is kind of whimsical though.

Will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Yeah, pretty sure there is no habitable space in there. From what I recall when the structure was going up, that whole volume is basically a dense network of trusses.

If I had to guess, the definition of "height" in DT Dartmouth doesn't include that space, so they added it without losing any saleable area. It wouldn't cost that much more to add that space, and it definitely makes the building stand out.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Here's a rendering for some more modifications to the former WTCC:

There's more information about this proposal here: https://www.halifax.ca/city-hall/boa...view-committee

It will include 6 new commercial spaces along Argyle.
I read in AllNovaScotia that the Armoyan Group is courting Passport Canada for much of the retail space along Argyle.

Probably appealing to the Armoyans because they don't have to court several smaller tenants and I assume that there'd be a fairly long lease on space for Passport Canada.

I realize it's better than nothing (the current state), but I can't help feeling this would be a loss for the street life that COULD be... retail surrounding a significant civic square should be activated as much as possible... I just feel like bureaucratic offices aren't the highest and best use (they seem fine inside a high-rise office tower like the current situation).

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 4:32 PM

I agree. That sounds like a terrible waste of that streetfront. I was hoping it would help to liven it up where it's kind of a dead area currently, but this would not contribute to that.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
Yeah, pretty sure there is no habitable space in there. From what I recall when the structure was going up, that whole volume is basically a dense network of trusses.

If I had to guess, the definition of "height" in DT Dartmouth doesn't include that space, so they added it without losing any saleable area. It wouldn't cost that much more to add that space, and it definitely makes the building stand out.
At least the snow should just slide right off of it...

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 5:25 PM

Passport Canada and the Atlantic Lottery Corp in the Nova Centre. Greaaaaaat use of our newly-pedestrianized street.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 8:42 PM

Simply evidence of the over-dependence upon govt spending that exists in Halifax. The private sector plays second fiddle.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Simply evidence of the over-dependence upon govt spending that exists in Halifax. The private sector plays second fiddle.
I think government contracts are the low-hanging fruit. They will pay top dollar and commit for many years. Easy guaranteed money for the developer.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 1:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
I think government contracts are the low-hanging fruit. They will pay top dollar and commit for many years. Easy guaranteed money for the developer.
Yeah and you know you're not going to have to evict them or have them stiff you on the rent.

I don't really blame Armco for wanting them as a tenant, but damn it's a poor use of Argyle Street. Honestly, it blows my mind that Argyle isn't designated as a "pedestrian-oriented commercial street" in the Downtown Halifax Land Use By-law. This seems like a huge oversight.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Yeah and you know you're not going to have to evict them or have them stiff you on the rent.

I don't really blame Armco for wanting them as a tenant, but damn it's a poor use of Argyle Street. Honestly, it blows my mind that Argyle isn't designated as a "pedestrian-oriented commercial street" in the Downtown Halifax Land Use By-law. This seems like a huge oversight.
I agree wholeheartedly.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 5:22 PM

Quote:
This sort of thing is where the planner's idealistic visions run head-on into reality. While they may desire to have that part of Argyle to be a "commercial street" they cannot force businesses to risk their own money on something that is at best speculative. What kind of commercial enterprise did they foresee I wonder? More bars? The bar business is hardly one that is growing. Restaurants possibly, but those have a high failure rate. Retail? Unlikely in that spot. The planner's ideal of cafes and boutiques at street level is not always realistic, and for the latter at least, becoming even less likely in today's world of online shopping.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 6:26 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I do wish that government agencies would take the health of the city into account a little more when choosing where to locate. Putting Access NS out in the suburbs and offices in the ground floor of that building at Barrington and Prince is the opposite of this.

But there are going to be some bland government uses in less-than-perfect areas. The important thing is that Argyle is set up nicely to continue to evolve over time. There's nothing permanent or particularly harmful about having a passport office in the old WTCC. Maybe in 10 years if the city grows more there will be enough demand for that stretch to be packed with restaurants and bars too.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 2:01 PM

Quote:
they cannot force businesses to risk their own money on something that is at best speculative.
They can't force a restaurant or retail to go in there, but they can (well, could have if the rules had been updated in time) force Armco to not put a use there that prevents retail or a restaurant.

Make no mistake, if retail and restaurant/bar was all that was allowed to go there, that space would fill up. It's prime downtown space.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 2:31 PM
Steven Courchene

blasting

lots are wondering what is happening and going in where they are blasting at 9 otter Lake Court Bayers Lake?

hoping its not just more heated storage units.

thanks in advance.

Steven Courchene

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth