HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 5:21 PM

Just great the forks attack on the Ukrainians is national news on cbc lunch hour newscast just great. This city has gone way too soft dealing with thugs and crime and they are taking full advantage of it.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 5:22 PM
What could go wrong?

I agree with others on here that we need to address the root cause of all these issues and have better support systems in place from the start.

Having said that, it has gone so far over to the not doing anything stage as to not upset anyone that ordinary people don't feel safe anymore. The bus shelter situation is absolutely ridiculous and I can't ever remember a time in my life that things have swung so far out of wack. Regardless of what any social interest groups say - people should not be living in bus shelters - they are for paying transit users...the end. Root causes, yes...but they should be made to move on.

Where does it end? If homeless start occupying a children's play structure in a schoolyard with tarps and tents - is that acceptable? Having needles and garbage around children? I would expect that they would be forced to move on, but why is it any different?

Public spaces need to be protected for the public good. Prosecute all of those fuckers that stabbed people at the Forks to the extreme limit of the law. Random attacks on people should never be tolerated.

It really makes me sick that they last year has seen so much of the core go to hell.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Just great the forks attack on the Ukrainians is national news on cbc lunch hour newscast just great. This city has gone way too soft dealing with thugs and crime and they are taking full advantage of it.
It's a super embarrassing look for the city.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
It's a super embarrassing look for the city.
So far all the mayoral candidates have been silent on fighting crime

Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 5:33 PM
What could go wrong?

Because the moment they do they will be labelled a racist, against reconciliation, against homeless, drug addition what have you.

Crime is crime regardless of race, religion etc. I could care less if someone in native, black, white, gay whatever. Decent people should be protected from criminals.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 5:59 PM
surely you agree with me

It is definitely getting to a point where I think about leaving.

Last edited by trueviking; Jul 4, 2022 at 8:46 PM.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 6:01 PM

If TV is thinking of leaving you know its bad

Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 6:08 PM

Biff...your point about tent cities on playgrounds is exactly right. Where does this end? The point is that public land is NOT available for camping - whether it's me, you or someone that is homeless. I've be railing about this for a long time. Received the most bland and non-committal responses from the Mayors office over the past couple of years regarding the mess we are dealing with. Bowman and the council fell asleep at the wheel. Allowing what the Main Street project has become...just blocks from city hall is one example. It started by allowing panhandling at every corner, and blew up from there. The bus shelters in front of City Hall and Across the Street at the Concert Hall have been taken over by squatters too often. Vandalism, petty crime and assaults are out of control. And as I have said previously - people don't need to just feel safe, they have to be safe. So we have a chicken and egg problem. Downtown won't be truly safe until we increase the population. The population won't reach that critical mass until people feel safe. Now what? Get rid of the garbage. ZERO tolerance on bus shelter occupation, and sleeping on the street. Establish a housing policy for homeless...and put it into action. Enforce the laws in place. At the risk of being hyperbolic, this coming election is probably the most critical of our generation.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Because the moment they do they will be labelled a racist, against reconciliation, against homeless, drug addition what have you.

Crime is crime regardless of race, religion etc. I could care less if someone in native, black, white, gay whatever. Decent people should be protected from criminals.
I agree 100%.
The Forks recent embarassment of 7 people injured in 5 days is showing us that the criminals are pushing the boundaries yet again.
Brazen acts, daylight, evening, no matter.
It will make national headlines.
Recent immigrants from war torn Ukraine settle in Winnipeg and within 2 weeks are seriously assaulted & tramautised for life.
The recent Ukraine immigrant / stabbed man is still in hospital getting blood drained from his neck?????

"Welcome to Winnipeg, Made from whats Real"

A father & daughter seriously assualted @ 7:30 pm ?????WTF??
The sun is out until 10ish.
A man seriously assaulted near Polo Park the other day as well.
This is the worst advertising for Winnipeg ever.
I supose it is just a matter of time that we see the criminals more so in Tuxedo, Sage Creek, Charleswood, Pritchard Farms, etc more than we ever thought.
St Norbert had an incident recently.
I implore on our lawmakers & civic, provincial, federal leaders to LEAD & get something done now!
Anyone looking for a vote soon should be made uncomfortable to repsond to these concerns as investors, newcommers to Canada & tourists will also stop coming.
I do not think the general public understand how dire this is.
This is an Emergency!

Last edited by BAKGUY; Jul 4, 2022 at 8:32 PM.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 6:12 PM

I am just glad I moved to la salle this year so peaceful and friendly and well taken care of and I am just 10 minutes from south winnipeg for shopping

Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 7:52 PM

Hearing about all these recent horrific events and I feel grateful for the safe relatively boring community I live in north of the city.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 8:54 PM
surely you agree with me

i went for a burger at white top yesterday on Burrows. Riding back I took Scotia but after Redwood I ended up on main street. Honestly, I was completely on edge the entire time. I got to Logan and cut west because I could see the sidewalk ahead of me and wasn't prepared to go through it. I was embarrassed of myself for feeling that way but I couldn't help it. It shook me.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
I am just glad I moved to la salle this year so peaceful and friendly and well taken care of and I am just 10 minutes from south winnipeg for shopping
I do 80% of my contract work in LaSalle lol. It has issues. Trust me. It's just like living in Sage Creek or South St Vital. The RM and Ventura are almost as incompetent as a toddler.

But back on to what I was suggesting earlier.

We don't need vigilant, but we need groups like Bear Clan to patrol. This would help a lot. It's made a huge difference for Selkirk Ave , I know we still get murders on Selkirk but it's nothing like it was 10 years ago. And I think it's great to have these folks who are just regular people trying to help the homeless and protect the other people in the areas they patrol. I think they get alot more respect then a cop or a security guard ( who cannot do squat anyway ). And seeing as most are of Metis or Aboriginal decent, this helps with the people who are homeless as lets be honest. Most are Aboriginal. And most of these kids commiting crimes are also.

The justice system needs to be seriously overhauled though. I don't know wtf happened to it, but I remember being a teen in the mid 80's and when my friends got in shit with the law they were sent to the youth center which wasn't the nicest place to be. Now they just get sent home...like wtf? Are l the bleeding heart momma's and Pappas really ok with their kids having no consequences?

Maybe a nice place like Milners Ridge. Have a wing just for the youth. Maybe have them to but across from the adults. Scare the fck out of them. Put them in a cell with Bubba. LoL

Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
i went for a burger at white top yesterday on Burrows. Riding back I took Scotia but after Redwood I ended up on main street. Honestly, I was completely on edge the entire time. I got to Logan and cut west because I could see the sidewalk ahead of me and wasn't prepared to go through it. I was embarrassed of myself for feeling that way but I couldn't help it. It shook me.
Cannot believe the city held an open house in the evening last week under the Disraeli underpass at Sutherland. What were they thinking? No way I was going to that.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 10:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
I was walking to my home in Wolseley past two burnt out bus shacks on Thursday, came around the corner at Good street and Broadway and had a cop's taser in my face as they were taking down a methed out guy with a knife.. The barber shop I was coming from at Spence and Ellice had someone stabbed behind the store the night before.

This city is becoming a real sewer, maybe we need some of that old school 1970s/80s policing.

The kinder gentler approach isn't working.

White flight continues, new suburbs are built, and the doughnut grows.
Soft on crime and community policing is a joke that has never worked, Winnipeg issues have nothing o do with white flight, anyone with any sense can see the shithole Winnipeg is becoming and eagerly will move out far enough where crime isn’t an issue!

Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 10:39 PM

I get how you guys are feeling but YOU CANT let a few incidents with some young offenders get to you that badly , I am a huge Winnipeg Guy love it here and I’m not moving away to some dinky bedroom community or leaving I’m going to try to tackle it head on , all cities have issues this is not a Winnipeg Thing and like I said in a previous post I was downtown in the Exchange on Saturday with my wife and we were fine not worried at all , I’m not letting some little punks take away from my city experience. ( This is by no means a post to criticize people’s reactions to recent events or to criticize anyone for their opinion ) . These young offenders need to put away , not coddled and the criminal justice system can’t be lenient with these underage kids anymore .

Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davequanbury View Post
People around the world generally agree that a busy street is a safe street. People have famously observed that they feel safer in new York city than parts of Winnipeg. Everyone knows the homeless element is present in New York City but it is generally agreed that this element is manageable because there are many non-homeless people to out number the homeless ones.

I hear lots of folks on this thread pointing out the downtown situation these days. I hear people pointing to a tipping point happening during the pandemic. I also hear many looking to blame politicians for failing to impact greater change. But during the pandemic downtown actually suffered two blows huge blows. 1: a lot of people got more desperate, visible homelessness spiked and the opioid and meth crises ground on. 2: Downtown was abandoned by the workforce. I believe both these factors are contributing to the current state of downtown. I am surprised not to hear more folks point out that the tipping point had a great deal to do with the thousands of workers who started working from home.

Now, I don't give 2 sh$ts about Bowman either way. But my question is, why are we giving the mayor so much credit to be able to have done something about 1: a national housing crisis, 2: a national opioid and meth crisis, and 3: a global pandemic? it just seems naive to blame the mayor of Winnipeg who most of us know wields very little meaningful power.

Just me two cents.
Your excellent point has been missed by most on here. Different levels of government are all accountable for the situation as the issues that give rise to it cut across government responsibilities. I'm not a big Bowman fan but the provincial government also has its hands all over what is going on in the city of Winnipeg right now.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 3:54 AM

Excellent post Davequanbuty , and good explanation Ando . Downtown workforce abandoning Downtown during the pandemic and not nearly 100% back is a huge part of the issues ,

Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 3:55 AM

Honestly folks I do whatever I want and have never once been attacked, robbed, whatever. I biked I work(ed) downtown I do all kinds of shit. Do bad things happen to good people, yup. But most of the time just being scared is the problem. If you talk to the people who approach you, treat them like humans, you realize the problem doesnt really exist. Its perceptions. Most of the violent crime happens between people involved with eachother.

I will never stop going to the forks, or going downtown, because something bad happened one time. Maybe, maybe something will happen one day. Maybe I'll win the lottery and move to Costa Rica too.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 3:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Honestly folks I do whatever I want and have never once been attacked, robbed, whatever. I biked I work(ed) downtown I do all kinds of shit. Do bad things happen to good people, yup. But most of the time just being scared is the problem. If you talk to the people who approach you, treat them like humans, you realize the problem doesnt really exist. Its perceptions. Most of the violent crime happens between people involved with eachother.
The problem is that a lot of stabbing and assault victims never get stabbed or assaulted, until they get stabbed or assaulted.

Look at the Ukrainian refugees at The Forks, minding their own business, one of them accidentally bumped someone the way people in cities sometimes do, he did the civilized thing and attempted to apologize, only to have some local jackass trying to insert a sharp object into him.

There are a lot of people roaming the streets of Winnipeg who have no place in a civilized society given that their main purpose in life seems to be inflicting injury on others, wrecking shit or stealing things. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why downtown has trouble attracting investment.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan