HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs

Old Posted Dec 12, 2009, 3:45 PM

I agree option 3 is the best, followed by 1. 2 Looks half assed.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2009, 8:19 PM

Former Fire Station Sold to Community Group

(Thursday, December 10, 2009) - The former fire station at 1247 Bedford Highway has been sold to the Alrasoul Islamic Society for $375,000. The society will convert the main floor of the building to accommodate their own activities and make the rest of building available to other community groups for a nominal fee.

The HRM Charter allows for the sale of municipal buildings at less than market value when they are sold to non- profit organizations. The sale was approved following a public hearing at City Hall. The Alrasoul Islamic Society’s proposal outlines how it will upgrade and maintain the interior and exterior of the property. Its intention is to promote the regular and diverse use of the available spaces for the community.

"It is a pleasure to be able to apply the Charter for the purpose of supporting organizations that give back to the community and enrich our neighbourhoods," said Mayor Peter Kelly. "Citizens benefit from diverse environments that inspire vibrant, caring and connected communities."

"The Alrasoul Islamic Society will be a welcome addition to our community," said Councillor Tim Outhit. "In addition to creating extra space for community meetings, events and recreation activities, upgrades to the building and grounds will improve the streetscape consistent with the surrounding neighbourhood.."

The Alrasoul Islamic Society was formed in 2001 for the purpose of assisting new and established members of the Islamic faith. The activities of the society include religious education and observance, referrals for Islamic immigrants, opportunities for social gatherings and the preservation and development of Islamic culture. Members and participants are of different nationalities.

For anyone unfamiliar with Bedford the old fire hall is located at the foot of Meadowbrook Drive off of the Bedford Highway.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2010, 8:46 PM

The Clayton Park West Phase V DA is going before the CCC tonight;

8.1.1 Case 01304: Stage I Development Agreement - Clayton Park West Phase 5 - Halifax Water Lands

Old Posted Jan 4, 2010, 9:02 PM

I'd love to see a bike lane included in that new underpass to Washmill Court. Riding in/out on Lacewood/Chain Lake Drive is risky at the best of times.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2010, 5:33 AM
BUILD!

Council approved the first phase of Clayton Park West tonight. Councillor Mary Wile believes that the third entrance to Bayer's Lake could begin in the fall of this year.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2010, 6:56 PM

thats great, bayers lake definitly needs this its hard enough to go in and out as it is, cars are backed up from one end of chain lake drive to the other, all the time.
and its good to see more residential and commercial in the area. clayton parks is gettin to have a nice little skyline lol.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2010, 10:22 PM

The Two Sackville Projects

Just some update photos from the two Sackville projects:.

Legacy Court:

Old Sackville Rd:

Old Posted Jan 29, 2010, 8:08 PM

Hopefully someone has insider information on this;

Over the last few months an older house on the Bedford Highway just south of Lindsay's Hill was being worked on in the rear. This week the house was demolished but there's no information available on it from what I can tell. I've emailed Tim to see if he knows anything but if someone in the construction industry can help me out it would be greatly appriciated.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2010, 9:17 PM

Just to answer my own question it is going to a vet office.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 5:23 PM

Developers like what Fairview offers

By ROGER TAYLOR Business Columnist
Tue. Feb 16 - 4:53 AM

THE SITE where Halifax West High School once stood on Dutch Village Road in Fairview may be a little closer to being redeveloped.

United Gulf Developments Ltd., headed by Halifax developer Navid Saberi, is proposing to build a four- to six-storey building on the site. The residential structure would create 100 condo units and a 10,000-square-foot retail component on the ground floor.

The United Gulf plan also includes the construction of seven semi-detached structures on the site, which would create another 14 residential units.

Documents released by the regional planning department indicate that United Gulf would build a four-storey, 40,000-square-foot commercial building with retail on the ground floor and offices on the remaining three floors. And if the necessary approval is granted, it would also build a two-storey, 24,000-square-foot commercial building with retail on the ground floor and offices on the second floor.

The detailed multimillion-dollar purchase and development proposal would allow for 330 underground and 76 above-ground parking spaces. The proposal would also set aside a small area for a park off the Coronation Avenue extension.

Redevelopment of the empty lot has been an objective of the city for a while. The United Gulf initiative was selected following a request for proposals by the city.

The proposal to redevelop the site through the development agreement process will require amendments to both the Halifax Municipal Planning Strategy and Halifax Mainland Land Use Bylaw.

Fairview seems to be attracting a lot of attention from developers.

In a separate development, a company called Basin Vista Developments Ltd., headed by Youssef Ghosn, is proposing to build a uniquely shaped 19-storey residential tower on the site of the Bayview Motor Inn on the Bedford Highway.

In official documents posted online by the city planning department, the Basin Vista proposal calls for the creation of 150 residential units and 104 office units. The residential component would be in the highrise, while the office and hotel space would be created in a three-storey base.

The company still needs to get approval from regional council and the community council before it can proceed.

Cesar Saleh, an engineer with W.M. Fares Group of Halifax, which is acting on behalf of Basin Vista, says the project probably won’t be before council until April at the earliest.

The proposal was unveiled about a year ago and the developer was optimistic that construction would begin by last fall, with an 18- to 24-month timetable for completion.

W.M. Fares is also acting on behalf of another proposed redevelopment project in the Fairview area.

The Roman Catholic Episcopal Corp. of Halifax wants to build an 11-storey residential tower on top of a floor of commercial space and a connected five-storey commercial building on land now occupied by St. Lawrence Catholic Church on Dutch Village Road.

Saleh told me Monday that the scheme for the church is still in the planning process and it probably won’t come to city council for consideration until sometime in the summer.

In an earlier news report, Wadih Fares, CEO of W.M. Fares, said he plans to pay the church more than $2.5 million for the property and spend from $15 million to $20 million to build the structures.

The plan calls for the creation of 104 residential units — 79 two-bedroom and 25 one-bedroom rental units.

If everything goes well, it was stated that construction could start as early as the fall of 2010 or as late as the spring of 2011.

Creation of so much residential space in such a small area would give a significant shot in the arm to that part of the city.

It should be interesting to see how long it takes to bring all or any of these projects to reality. It may come down to first come, first served.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2010, 10:23 PM

Bedford Construction Update - February 2010

The amount of construction going on here in Bedford is dumbfounding to even begin to get the scale of. Here are the ones with no threads right now;

Old Posted Feb 28, 2010, 1:28 AM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

I meant to ask you Bedford if you knew what was going in place of your first pic. I didn't even know the Beacon building was coming down. There wasn't even an excavator there when I drove by on Friday.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2010, 4:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
I meant to ask you Bedford if you knew what was going in place of your first pic. I didn't even know the Beacon building was coming down. There wasn't even an excavator there when I drove by on Friday.
I really don't know right now. The excavator surprised me too when I went by today and it was kind of lucky that I had my camera on me at the time.

I've emailed somebody I know though to see if they know what's going to happen so hopefully I'll have an answer next week sometime.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2010, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
The amount of construction going on here in Bedford is dumbfounding to even begin to get the scale of. Here are the ones with no threads right now;

they could have at least removed the a/c unit...........

Old Posted Feb 28, 2010, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdm View Post
they could have at least removed the a/c unit...........
Seriously. They way we take down buildings here is archaic. It is hard to tell from the picture, but I'm sure some of this could be salvaged and diverted from a landfill. That front entry door looks great.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2010, 2:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by planarchy View Post
Seriously. They way we take down buildings here is archaic. It is hard to tell from the picture, but I'm sure some of this could be salvaged and diverted from a landfill. That front entry door looks great.
Totally agree.

There is enough metal in the picture that could have been recycled, along with other material.

shame.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2010, 2:43 AM
we built this city

I would say it is likely sold at bulk. If not, there could be money in sorting through these demo sites.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2010, 5:09 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

The front of building was still standing yesterday. No excavator in site. Looks like storefront may be left and new addition built behind. We'll see.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2010, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
The front of building was still standing yesterday. No excavator in site. Looks like storefront may be left and new addition built behind. We'll see.
Yep noticed that this morning too.

The air conditioning unit is still in place ...

Old Posted Mar 18, 2010, 5:09 PM

Architects sought for Bedford park pavilion
By MICHAEL LIGHTSTONE City Hall Reporter
Thu. Mar 18 - 4:54 AM

Halifax city hall is seeking an architectural firm to oversee the design and construction of a public building in a waterfront park in Bedford.

The new structure, a pavilion destined for DeWolf Park on the shores of Bedford Basin, must be esthetically pleasing, energy efficient, use natural light, be as "vandal-resistant as possible" and include public washrooms, a proposal request said.

Cost of the project has been set at $250,000. The tendering competition closes April 1 at 2 p.m.

Included among the pavilion’s elements, as required by Halifax Regional Municipality, are:

•Separate bathrooms for men and women, and a family washroom with a change table

•Covered and lockable bulletin boards.

•Exterior electrical hookups and lighting.

•Bicycle racks and a waste-recycling station.

The successful bidder will undertake full architectural and engineering services, said the proposal request, available on the municipality’s website.

All interested parties have to attend an information session Wednesday at 10 a.m. at DeWolf Park. Meet at the playground.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs