HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 30, 2013, 1:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilippeMtl View Post
the suspect is a tourist from Ontario.
Calling this animal a tourist is being a little generous, Montreal has become a real magnet for homeless bums from all over the northeast,apparently the city's tolerant nature and lack of police action attracts these losers (check out how many of these bums speak perfect english)

Old Posted Jul 30, 2013, 3:52 PM

I think the worst part is he was harassing and attacking people for 10 minutes before he attacked that lady and nobody decided to call police or do anything about him.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2013, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkoshvilli View Post
I think the worst part is he was harassing and attacking people for 10 minutes before he attacked that lady and nobody decided to call police or do anything about him.
That is because if we were to develop that type of response we'd be calling police all day long. I walk by people behaving exactly like the suspect every day and night. Sometimes they scream in my face at the top of their lungs.

Mind you, this is a learned behaviour. My natural reaction would be, in the very least, a spidey-sense tingle, but it's just worn off over time. There is a guy in my neighborhood who looks like Mickey Rourke and walks around with clenched fist saying to himself ''im gonna fuck you up motherfucker'' while looking other people directly in the eyes. He does this all the time, everywhere he goes. He is very physically imposing.

I am always amused watching how people react to him - those who aren't familiar with ''Montreal crazies'' are terrified, full on fight or flight mode until they realize everyone else is not even flinching as they walk by him.

I wouldn't be surprised if this woman walked right past her assailant as he cocked back his fist and screamed at her. It's just what we do.

That's what makes this so fucked up and sad.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2013, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftimage View Post
That is because if we were to develop that type of response we'd be calling police all day long. I walk by people behaving exactly like the suspect every day and night. Sometimes they scream in my face at the top of their lungs.

Mind you, this is a learned behaviour. My natural reaction would be, in the very least, a spidey-sense tingle, but it's just worn off over time. There is a guy in my neighborhood who looks like Mickey Rourke and walks around with clenched fist saying to himself ''im gonna fuck you up motherfucker'' while looking other people directly in the eyes. He does this all the time, everywhere he goes. He is very physically imposing.

I am always amused watching how people react to him - those who aren't familiar with ''Montreal crazies'' are terrified, full on fight or flight mode until they realize everyone else is not even flinching as they walk by him.

I wouldn't be surprised if this woman walked right past her assailant as he cocked back his fist and screamed at her. It's just what we do.

That's what makes this so fucked up and sad.
So this is usual and expected behaviour on the streets of Montreal?
That seems sad in and of itself. Your citizens should be outraged! Maybe this tragic death will serve as a wake up call and be the genesis of a movement to change this culture of acceptance.
I'm not saying you need to cure mental illness or that Montreal has more than other cities but maybe there needs to be more of a police presence on the sidewalks with cops of foot, bikes, horses, etc

Old Posted Jul 31, 2013, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drto View Post
So this is usual and expected behaviour on the streets of Montreal?
That seems sad in and of itself. Your citizens should be outraged! Maybe this tragic death will serve as a wake up call and be the genesis of a movement to change this culture of acceptance.
I'm not saying you need to cure mental illness or that Montreal has more than other cities but maybe there needs to be more of a police presence on the sidewalks with cops of foot, bikes, horses, etc
This is an isolated event (the violent outcome) but Montreal definitely does not need more police presence. The suspect was arrested within 2 minutes... the problem is it only take a couple seconds to kill an old lady.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2013, 1:22 AM
I am a typical

Montreal, the city that has been bringing out riot gear against protesting students on a nearly weekly basis, needs more police?

Most homicides outside of large cities happen inside houses. Should every house have an officer inside it to make sure no one gets drunk and kills their spouse?

Old Posted Jul 31, 2013, 1:26 AM

Quote:
This is an isolated event (the violent outcome) but Montreal definitely does not need more police presence. The suspect was arrested within 2 minutes... the problem is it only take a couple seconds to kill an old lady.
But by both your post and that of Darkoshvilli, it would seem that "something" needs to be done, rather than accepting this behaviour as an accepted norm, as this type of incident seemingly could happen over and over, as these loose cannons seem to walk the streets intimidating all but the most hardened of residents, to which end this victim could have easily been as well, which led to her death.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2013, 1:30 AM
I am a typical

Something needs to be done, but no one ever says what that something might be.

More police? Doing what, exactly?

Old Posted Jul 31, 2013, 5:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Something needs to be done, but no one ever says what that something might be.

More police? Doing what, exactly?
I would say start by removing inebriated people who are behaving aggressively from the area, and put them into the tank. For those who are mentally handicapped, I would suggest having a social program that specifically caters to homeless people with an aggressive streak. If they are as aggressive as they are made out to be, then they are almost definitely known by police, in which case they can be helped by the program. With the right kind of help anyone can amalgamate into society, or be provided with a place that is safer for both them and other citizens.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2013, 6:15 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Whenever I read a story like the one above, I can help but put the blame squarely on the provincial and federal government for the almost complete destruction of mental healthcare facilities in this country twenty years ago. It's a national embarrassment that rarely gets talked about.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2013, 8:20 AM

It goes without saying I wish the Montreal murder from the other night hadn't happened... but does ''something'' need to be done about random murder in our streets? I would say it's very low on our list of priorities. Even panhandling... sure we would like to see less of it but I wouldn't say it's a pressing issue at the moment tbh. In fact I tend to view the occasional unprovoked act of violence and homelessness as normal aspects of city life.

How often does one stranger intentionally kill another in Montreal (or any other Canadian city) in a non-gang related affair? I would say less than once a year on average.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2013, 9:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
Whenever I read a story like the one above, I can help but put the blame squarely on the provincial and federal government for the almost complete destruction of mental healthcare facilities in this country twenty years ago. It's a national embarrassment that rarely gets talked about.
This is precisely what can be done. More police would unfortunately do nothing to stop this sort of thing when the person is seriously mentally ill and can kill in seconds. Not having dismantled the mental healthcare facilities in this country might. We need mental health infrastructure back, now!

Old Posted Jul 31, 2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
It goes without saying I wish the Montreal murder from the other night hadn't happened... but does ''something'' need to be done about random murder in our streets? I would say it's very low on our list of priorities. Even panhandling... sure we would like to see less of it but I wouldn't say it's a pressing issue at the moment tbh. In fact I tend to view the occasional unprovoked act of violence and homelessness as normal aspects of city life.

How often does one stranger intentionally kill another in Montreal (or any other Canadian city) in a non-gang related affair? I would say less than once a year on average.
I'm sure if this latest victim was your mother, you would have a very much less indifferent attitude towards what can and should be done. I'm not saying you can prevent random murders. I'm not saying that more police could have prevented this attack (necessarily). But what I am saying is to simply turn the other way and pretend that this behaviour is normal and should be expected as part of your daily walks thru your neighbourhood is abhorrent. Why can't the police arrest this dipshit who walks around with fists clenched threatening everyone with f'ing them up (uttering threats) and then get him assessed in a mental facility, effectively removing him from the streets.? Just my thoughts on the matter.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
I'm sure if this latest victim was your mother, you would have a very much less indifferent attitude towards what can and should be done. I'm not saying you can prevent random murders. I'm not saying that more police could have prevented this attack (necessarily). But what I am saying is to simply turn the other way and pretend that this behaviour is normal and should be expected as part of your daily walks thru your neighbourhood is abhorrent. Why can't the police arrest this dipshit who walks around with fists clenched threatening everyone with f'ing them up (uttering threats) and then get him assessed in a mental facility, effectively removing him from the streets.? Just my thoughts on the matter.
Did anyone call the police to report his threatening behaviour?

Old Posted Jul 31, 2013, 1:13 PM
Look at me!

Quote:
Why can't the police arrest this dipshit who walks around with fists clenched threatening everyone with f'ing them up (uttering threats) and then get him assessed in a mental facility, effectively removing him from the streets.? Just my thoughts on the matter.
Um, let's see, because they wouldn't be able to hold him for more than 5 minutes? What are they supposed to do, do a wiretap, get a detectives team on the case?

Big cities (and small ones too) have dangerous, disturbed, and disgruntled people roaming their streets. It's a constance of life.

For Christ sake, they released Guy Turcotte and the Manitoba bus head chopper/cannibal after less than 1 year. Are we to expect the police, to start rounding up all the crazy hobos? And God knows what can of worms that would open, with the police enjoying casual killing and all...

Old Posted Jul 31, 2013, 1:47 PM

This is just a reality of living in a big city unfortunately. I've bumped into a few crazies before and you just learn to ignore them. I saw the guy's mugshot after he was arrested and they clearly beat the shit out of him. My guess is this was done by the bystanders. We're talking about one of the busiest intersections downtown. How long would it take for a full grown man enraged with (pardon the term) retard strength to severely damage/kill a 67 year old woman?

I agree that we should have better care/treatment for our mentally ill population, but more police on the street won't help. This happened in a matter of seconds.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2013, 2:02 PM
ARTchitecture

Shit man, that is really sad Sorry to hear this happened in MTL. <3

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2013, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexiQuebecois View Post
This is just a reality of living in a big city unfortunately. I've bumped into a few crazies before and you just learn to ignore them.
This is exactly it. Unfortunately in a big city you get more unsavory types, but if you don't bother them they don't bother you.

Mental health treatment, or a lack thereof, is the biggest problem here. People have mental illness and you can't force them into treatment unless you can prove they are a danger to themselves or others. And if there was a need for treatment determined, the facilities that handle this are few and far between. Canada as a whole needs to improve our mental health care.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2013, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
This is exactly it. Unfortunately in a big city you get more unsavory types, but if you don't bother them they don't bother you.

Mental health treatment, or a lack thereof, is the biggest problem here. People have mental illness and you can't force them into treatment unless you can prove they are a danger to themselves or others. And if there was a need for treatment determined, the facilities that handle this are few and far between. Canada as a whole needs to improve our mental health care.
I agree. However, how far does one have to go in order to be determined as a danger to themselves or others. Would uttering threats qualify? In a country where we talk endlessly about equality, then if an average citizen were to utter threats to a stranger on the street, that would be enough to warrant an arrest no, should it not then be enough to require one to obtain mental illness treatment.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2013, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
Um, let's see, because they wouldn't be able to hold him for more than 5 minutes? What are they supposed to do, do a wiretap, get a detectives team on the case?

Big cities (and small ones too) have dangerous, disturbed, and disgruntled people roaming their streets. It's a constance of life.

For Christ sake, they released Guy Turcotte and the Manitoba bus head chopper/cannibal after less than 1 year. Are we to expect the police, to start rounding up all the crazy hobos? And God knows what can of worms that would open, with the police enjoying casual killing and all...
And unfortunately Turcotte is only as safe as his ability to take his Meds.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada