HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 7, 2017, 8:57 PM

11 in Vancouver for 2016, down from 15. 67 in the region (of 3 million stretching from Whistler to Chilliwack), up from 60 in the 2015.
http://vancouversun.com/news/staff-b...e-rise-in-2016

Old Posted Jan 9, 2017, 3:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
Based on your logic the military should be brought into Calgary because in 2016 Calgary police shot 10 people, killing 5 of them. Given Chicago's population is about 2.25 times larger than Calgary's I'd say the problem was worse in Calgary in 2016 than in Chicago. Is there something wrong with the Calgary Police Service? Anyone who lives there and isn't a police apologist knows that there are huge problems.
I was unaware of the police shootings in Calgary - 3 dead in the last three months. Wow! I would agree that that is a problem. I never advocated for a military intervention in any city - I was pointing out that the so-called "Ferguson effect" has been debunked. Repeatedly.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...2016-1.3800554

Montreal police have killed 2 in the last couple of weeks. And at least one earlier in 2016 plus an injury on New Year's Eve. That is a long way from Calgary's numbers, though.

I think that better training and cameras cannot come fast enough. And better oversight.

Of course, this means in 2017, Montreal police have killed one man while there has been one murder in the province (near Ottawa).

Old Posted Jan 9, 2017, 6:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post

My favourite part of the episode though was when the journalist told the police chief details he didn't know about the case, and he asked her if she wanted to be interrogated! I've seen our police do this, you tell them that there is someone who might be of interest and they start treating you like you're the criminal. I've seen them walk right past fights to question bystanders who committed the crime of trying to get the attention of police because there is a fight. I once called a ride for a homeless person and police to report a fight, the police came and drove past the fight then arrested the homeless person which really confused the ride I called for him because he was no longer there. It was as if a bloody aboriginal man standing on the sidewalk screaming was invisible while the drunk aboriginal man slumped on the sidewalk half-conscious was surrounded by those ultraviolet markers that flowers use to attract bees. Except it attracted police instead.

I could go on for quite a while. Our chief can talk a good game when he needs to score points with the local indigenous community but the message obviously doesn't make it out to the officers in the street.
Same kind of stuff happens in Timmins as well. When you mentioned that journalist, that same thing happened here as well with one of our newspaper writers. Sometimes they will be on such a power trip that they forget that journalists have a right to ask questions about anything! And I know a number of people who were treated like criminals because they came forward with information about crimes.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2017, 2:59 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Two murders and an unlawful death dominating the news here today. The Don Dunphy inquiry will certainly be the biggest news story here this year. The Anne Norris case is one of two locally high-profile ones before the courts right now. And the final one wasn't homicide but we'll see where it ends up.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador

Old Posted Jan 9, 2017, 5:14 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

And another one.

RNC investigating 'suspicious' death of man, 44, in Wabush

Quote:
Police are investigating what they call the "suspicious" death of a 44-year-old man in Wabush, Labrador.

The Royal Newfoundland Constabulary said Tuesday it responded to a call of a sudden death inside a home on Winter Avenue on Saturday.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...bush-1.3927462

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 1:34 PM
HVAC guru

Two found dead in a car in the south-east suburbs of Edmonton, Edmonton at 3 so far for this year

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 2:05 PM

The Record reports that Waterloo Region had 6 homicides in 2015 (population est. 575,000). Average over past years has been 5.

Not sure why they are a year behind in reporting the number. I think the total for 2016 was similar or lower, but i'm not sure.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
Two found dead in a car in the south-east suburbs of Edmonton, Edmonton at 3 so far for this year
Confirmed, to people from BC with ties to the Drug trade.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2017, 4:47 PM

Montreal got it's 1st last night. 2 if you include the police shooting.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2017, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djesus777 View Post
Montreal got it's 1st last night. 2 if you include the police shooting.
Police killings are excluded from homicide totals in Canada aren't they?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2017, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkoshvilli View Post
Police killings are excluded from homicide totals in Canada aren't they?
I think so yeah, but all the articles are saying 2nd homicide for MTL. The only thing that happened was this and the police shooting last week.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2017, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djesus777 View Post
I think so yeah, but all the articles are saying 2nd homicide for MTL. The only thing that happened was this and the police shooting last week.
Maybe it's the guy who was stabbed in old montreal. I doubt the media would consider the police shooting a murder. They never do.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2017, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Maybe it's the guy who was stabbed in old montreal. I doubt the media would consider the police shooting a murder. They never do.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...899999999&z=17

Old Posted Jan 14, 2017, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbvan View Post
11 in Vancouver for 2016, down from 15. 67 in the region (of 3 million stretching from Whistler to Chilliwack), up from 60 in the 2015.
http://vancouversun.com/news/staff-b...e-rise-in-2016
Didn't realize there was such a significant difference in homicide rates between Vancouver and outlying communities in terms of homicide rates. I knew Abbotsford and Chilliwack had higher rates than Vancouver, but looks like aside from North and West Vancouver and Richmond, pretty much all the suburbs have higher rates.

In Toronto, the city still has higher homicide rates than the suburbs, and some suburbs, mainly in York and Halton Region have much lower rates than the city.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2017, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
Here's a map and timeline.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2669539/ti...nipeg-in-2016/

Not great, but nothing out of hand in the North End. A comparatively quiet year in the West End, which has had some wooley years in the recent past. Nothing in St. Boniface, after some strange murders there the last few years. Strange goings on in North Kildonan. And the only murder south of the Assiniboine was a guy from Edmonton who got his car shot up on the road.
It's still pretty striking how much of the homicides are concentrated in the North End and close-in West End and how few homicides there are elsewhere. It's much more evenly distributed in Toronto. Even the worst parts of Toronto have significantly lower homicide rates (5-10 per 100k) compared to Winnipeg's North End and close-in West end which seems to be in the 20-30 per 100k range. A rate of 20-30 is still less than the typical bad neighbourhood in an American city which might be 50-100, but much higher than anywhere I can think of in Canada. On the other hand, the entire southern half of Winnipeg had just 1 homicide which puts its homicide rate at about 0.3-0.4, safer than Durham Region and possibly even York Region.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 1:11 PM
HVAC guru

Two found dead in house in the Deep South west in Edmonon this morning, depending on circumstances that brings Edmonton to 4 or 5 for 2017

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 2:13 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
They would count someone killed by police as a murder only in the extremely rare case where a police officer would be charged with murder, no?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
They would count someone killed by police as a murder only in the extremely rare case where a police officer would be charged with murder, no?
As far as I can tell the officer in this case hasn't been charged yet. Most likely never will. That's why I'm surprised it's already being considered as a murder.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 8:32 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Looks like Gatineau may have its first homicide of 2017, and the first in over a year. (We had no murders in 2016.)

The body of an 83 year old woman was found in her home today and a man who was acting "agitated" was arrested nearby.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 10:10 PM

Just let me point out that there is a difference between murder and homicide. Murder is illegal and homicide can be justified. Murder is basically unjustified homicide. Which is why the media labels killings by police "homicides" right away but won't label it "murder" unless it is proven the killing wasn't justified

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada