HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Apr 28, 2008, 7:03 PM
It's Hammer Time

Is anyone going to Metronauts on May 3rd? I'll buddy up with someone if you go. Metronauts is a group where you can share your ideas with the people who have the power to implement them (officals from Metrolinx, Rob MacIsaac will likely be there). So this is a serious group to attend.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2008, 7:22 PM
Hammer'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Is anyone going to Metronauts on May 3rd? I'll buddy up with someone if you go. Metronauts is a group where you can share your ideas with the people who have the power to implement them (officals from Metrolinx, Rob MacIsaac will likely be there). So this is a serious group to attend.
Not me. Doors Open is one the same day. I'll be busy with that, and dead tired after
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Apr 28, 2008, 8:21 PM
Closed account

Metronauts?? Is that really the name of the group??

Old Posted Apr 28, 2008, 8:29 PM
It's Hammer Time

http://www.metronauts.ca/

Metronauts Hamilton: An Unconference About the Future of Transportation
Saturday, 3 May 2008 - 9:00am
McMaster University
Kenneth Taylor Hall

Old Posted Apr 29, 2008, 6:44 PM
Closed account

Just read an interesting Wikipedia article about Charlotte, NC's brand-new LRT line (Opened Nov 07) Lynx Rapid Transit. Very interesting stuff. According to the article, it took them just under 3 years to officially complete the 15.45km ($427 million) line.

Check it out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LYNX_Ra...ansit_Services

Old Posted Apr 29, 2008, 6:55 PM
Closed account

there are videos on SSP from a forumer in Charlotte too. Check it out.
Hopefully we can post vids from our new LRT in a few years!!

Old Posted Apr 29, 2008, 7:05 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisethehammer View Post
Hopefully we can post vids from our new LRT in a few years!!
So say LRT is approved June 25 (I think that's the decision date, right?) 6 months for an EA, Groundbreaking in Jan 09, completed Nov-Dec 2011? Sounds good to me hahaha

I believe ours could get done quicker than Charlotte's... they seemed to have some unique problems.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2008, 8:50 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC83 View Post
So say LRT is approved June 25 (I think that's the decision date, right?) 6 months for an EA, Groundbreaking in Jan 09, completed Nov-Dec 2011? Sounds good to me hahaha

I believe ours could get done quicker than Charlotte's... they seemed to have some unique problems.
actually, it won't be that quick.
Once they decide on either rail/bus or a hybrid of both then they have to decide actual routes and whether or not other routes will be eliminated. that will be the longest process, and knowing Hamilton, will be a VERY long process.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2008, 11:07 PM
Hammer'd

Apparently someone has taken the initiative to get the word out. Found this a couple of days ago at Queenston and Nash.

Unfortunately after checking today, it has since been ripped down.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Apr 29, 2008, 11:16 PM
Closed account

haha....gotta love those people around town who always rip down posters and signs on poles.
Then they make sure their double thick curtains/drapes are closed fully each night to keep out the blinding light from the mega-billboard 4 blocks away.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2008, 11:22 PM
It's Hammer Time

Aw I would put some of those posters up if I had copies.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 12:44 AM

my poster is famous!

time is short but i have a few left... care to grab some for your area?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 2:09 AM
Closed account

awesome piece from Seattle.
Copied from www.hamiltonlightrail.com

Note: "no multi-family housing had been built here without pubic subsidies in 3 decades".

Rail doesn't just move people; it shapes cities
Light rail isn't just tracks and trains full of commuters. It's also a way to build better cities, channel growth and slow sprawl.
Published in the New Tribune (Tacoma, WA) on April 28, 2008.

Light rail isn't just tracks and trains full of commuters. It's also a way to buil better cities, channel growth and slow sprawl

The South Sound needs it as a reliable alternative to Interstate 5 and to spur intelligent urban development in the corridor between Sea-Tac Airport and Tacoma.

A good example of intelligent development can be found in Seattle's Rainier Valley. The light rail line through Seattle is still a year away from opening, but it has already begun to transform the communities it will run through.

The Seattle Times reported last week that private developers are proposing to build more than 1,500 condominiums or apartments within a short walk of what will become Sound Transit rail stations in the Rainier Valley. Seattle officials say they'll be the first multifamily projects built there without public subsidies in more than three decades.

Martin Luther King Jr. Way, the valley's main drag, is now dominated by old strip malls, parking lots and the like. It's the corridor the car built, and it takes a lot of driving around to run errands, shop or get anything done. The new, rail-oriented development promises a denser population with stores and other amenities - not to mention the train station - within walking distance.

The Puget Sound region as a whole will never look like this. There will always be suburbs and single-family homes - that's an option many people will always want to have.

But the dense, transit-intensive option is also crucial. It draws people inward to urban services, easy commutes and rich entertainment and retail offerings.

The creation of multi-story apartments and condominiums near the stations in the Rainier Valley demonstrates the magnetism of light rail. The extension of rail transit from Sea-Tac to Tacoma would have the same effect on development in that corridor. As the region's population grows, the result would be much greater housing density along Highway 99, where the line would mostly run.

This makes infinitely more sense than pushing newcomers out to new developments around small towns and in rural areas - a pattern that has overwhelmed country roads with traffic and spread large numbers of people far beyond the logical reach of sewers, utilities, police and other urban services.

Light rail alone won't halt sprawl, but it's an important part of the solution. Regions with large populations don't work unless most people live in cities - the denser the better. Rail transit makes that an attractive choice.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 2:29 AM
It's Hammer Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by coalminecanary View Post
my poster is famous!

time is short but i have a few left... care to grab some for your area?
Got an electronic copy? I'll print some out and post them up around work (McMaster).

Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 11:32 AM
It's Hammer Time

Clean, green and good for the city's future

April 30, 2008
Paul Wilson
The Hamilton Spectator

Nicholas Kevlahan is a math professor at McMaster. His specialty is the theory and computation of fluid turbulence.

Don't worry. We've come to him today for another reason.

On his own time, Kevlahan is passionate about LRT, or light rail transit.

He talks to groups all over town about it -- the chamber of commerce, the house builders association, regular citizens -- the very people he'll be talking to tomorrow night, as city hall tries to decide whether light rail or rapid bus is the way for Hamilton to go.

It was love of a woman that led the professor to love LRT.

Kevlahan went to France for four years on a post-doctoral fellowship. And in Paris he met Catherine Cox. She was from Grenoble, a city with a metro population the same as Hamilton's.

In the 1950s Grenoble ripped out its streetcar system, like many other cities, including Hamilton.

But 20 years ago, Grenoble was among the first to bring back LRT. Kevlahan says it's been a great success, and the city has gone from one line to five.

Now there are cities all over Europe and North America shedding buses and moving to the quick, quiet and yes, sexy, electric trains.

Ten years ago, Kevlahan joined McMaster. He and his wife, a translator, live in a 152-year-old stone cottage in the core. They don't own a car, but do walk over to Avis at Jackson Square a couple of times a month to rent one.

Most days, Kevlahan rides his bicycle to work. If the weather's bad, he takes the bus.

All that makes him a rare bird indeed in Hamilton. This city drives to work, to play, to shop.

We're finding out that's bad for our world, our wallets, our nerves.

So last year, the province announced a big Move Ontario program, with $300 million for Hamilton to build two rapid-transit lines -- McMaster to Eastgate, and Upper James to downtown.

City hall could decide this summer whether to go for buses or light rail. Kevlahan's hoping for the latter and right after that transit announcement from Queen's Park, he and others got together and formed Hamilton Light Rail.

"LRT has the potential to really transform Hamilton," Kevlahan says.

Yes, LRT will get people out of their cars in a way buses can't. Even people with briefcases.

And yes, LRT will be good for the environment.

But Kevlahan thinks the biggest bonus is what light rail can do for the economy of Hamilton.

Developers are drawn to rails. Housing, stores, offices spring up along them and municipal assessments climb. It's already happened in cities like Portland, Ore. and Charlotte, N.C..

Closer to home, the region of Waterloo has completed its transit study. The findings there:

"The benefits associated with LRT are more than double those of Bus Rapid Transit, although the costs of LRT are higher ... LRT has a much greater potential to attract transit ridership and to shape urban form than BRT."

Kevlahan knows all that. But he also knows constructing an LRT is more complicated than the bus option. "It will be a bit disruptive, a bit controversial. The politicians will want to know there's public support... The whole city has to feel it's to their benefit."

So that's why he's out on the speaker's circuit.

"The biggest hurdle is deciding this is what we want and not being distracted by minor issues," he says. "If we dither and say, 'Maybe later,' the province will say, 'There are others who want to go ahead. Get back to us in 10 years.'"

A public meeting on LRT versus BRT will be held tomorrow evening, May 1, from 7 to 9 p.m., at the FRWY Cafe, 333 King St. E. at Wellington. For more information -- and an eight-minute Kevlahan video on LRTs -- go to hamiltonlightrail.com.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 1:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Got an electronic copy? I'll print some out and post them up around work (McMaster).
better late than never!

http://neenerneet.net/brt-lrt-v2.pdf

Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 1:20 PM

GREAT TO SEE THIS IN THE MAINSTREAM PRESS!

amazing!

Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 1:21 PM
Closed account

there were a couple beauty pictures too.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 1:24 PM
It's Hammer Time

Okay I'll post a few around during my lunch break. Final exam is over but I'll place them on bus shelters anyways. I'll mostly focus on bulltin boards for employees.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 1:45 PM
It's Hammer Time

I've posted a few already, I'm on a roll

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure