HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Nov 12, 2007, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMRetrofit View Post
A monkey laying a dung would have arranged a better site plan than that.
Wow. That's tops. I really like that.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2007, 9:15 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanmedic View Post
Wow. That's tops. I really like that.
haha...classic line!
I need to get a job as an 'architect' or whatever these people are called. I assume they make good money whipping stuff like this together.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2007, 12:11 AM

This is garbage.

I've seen such piss poor implementation of 'street presence' elsewhere (I have to work in Burlington). It's more about using street frontage as advertising space. There will probably be 20 feet of chemically sustained sod in front of the shops with no sidewalk leading up to them.

Does anybody know where I can get a vacuum cleaner bag downtown? Not anywhere in Jackson Square, that's for sure. I can thank developments such as these for this sorry state of affairs downtown.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2007, 12:15 AM
It's Hammer Time

I wonder how the Food Court Pavillion is going to work. Never heard of a Food Court Pavillion at a big box development before, even got drive thu.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2007, 1:10 AM

We're getting a food court pavillion? Oh, baby!!!!!! I'm so pumped - I want to email everyone at city hall and thank them. It will be so great - imagine how hungry you would be after a whole day of driving from store to store. Soon you will be able to hop in your car and head over to the food court pavillion building. I never dreamed that this day would come!! I hope it's like the food building at the CNE!!!!!!!!!! Only with cars. And no pedestrians. And no customers. And stucco.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2007, 1:20 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Dalton View Post
Does anybody know where I can get a vacuum cleaner bag downtown? Not anywhere in Jackson Square, that's for sure. I can thank developments such as these for this sorry state of affairs downtown.
there was always a vacuum store at king william and wellington. don't know if it's still there.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2007, 1:22 AM
Hammer'd

It was recently emptied out.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2007, 2:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Dalton View Post
There is a shop on Ottawa Street just south of Cannon called Hamilton Vaccuum Supply. It carries all sorts of vaccuum parts and accessories, including vaccuum bags.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2007, 3:11 AM
Closed account

Arudas on Barton at James is the best spot downtown for 'home depot' type products.
or the Canadian Tire on Main.
Or Steel City Surplus on Dundurn (don't know for sure, but they seem to have everything else).

Old Posted Nov 24, 2007, 2:42 PM
It's Hammer Time

New lease on life for Ottawa St.

Lisa Grace Marr
The Hamilton Spectator
(Nov 24, 2007)

The redevelopment of Centre Mall is about to transform its entire neighbourhood from Ottawa to Kenilworth.

First of all, the mall will no longer be a mall. But then neither will it be a power centre.

Think open-air walkways between stores with streets, trees, bus stops and bike racks, with storefronts facing Barton.

Don Burton, vice-president of shopping centres for Redcliff, the property manager for owners Osmington and the Canada Pension Plan, calls it a hybrid, a mix of old-style shopping district and big-box power centre. It is an evolution.

"Centre Mall opened as an open mall 50 years ago, then it was enclosed. Now it will be open again."

The $100-million investment in the mall is boosting Ottawa Street North -- already the city's No. 1 tourist destination.

The garment district is in the midst of morphing into a holistic home decor destination area, complete with lighting, antique, design and glass stores.

"What (businesses) are finding is that there is a niche market here," said Patty Despinic, executive director of the Ottawa Street Business Improvement Area.

The year-round farmers' market no longer fits in Centre Mall's plans, but it fits neatly into Ottawa Street's, and with some assistance in zoning changes, it is expected to move by next spring.

"It means a change for everybody," said Despinic of the mall investment. "Ottawa Street is willing to change ... "

Gord Moodie, the city's co-ordinator of downtown municipal incentives said the Ottawa Street BIA has had the most applications and grants under the commercial property improvement program -- 33 -- and it's having an effect on the property values and real estate activity in the district.

"I think the important thing is that people are upgrading the properties," said Nick Lapcevich at Metro Hamilton Realty 2000 Inc. He's sold real estate for 30 years, much of that in the east end. "It's a good sign of how vital an area is. All of the property values (in the area) are increasing."

In fact, it's so good, Lapcevich has decided to renovate an office building on Ottawa. He plans to open his business there in the next few weeks.

The real estate activity doesn't surprise the BIA's Despinic. She's averaging three new people a week wandering into the BIA office looking for a place to hang a shingle.

One of those new businesses, is Molly's Back Porch, an antique shop. Molly Cowan said she moved to the area because of the shopping district's vibrancy and because of the Centre Mall redevelopment which she feels will draw more traffic to that end of the city.

"I've had people in here from Bracebridge and Sudbury ... I have had at least one of my old clients from Caledonia in here nearly every day. They've followed me here."

The city is expanding its downtown residential loan program to other urban neighbourhoods. That will lead to even more upgrades to residential properties on Ottawa, said Despinic.

Lapcevich said it's easy to sell or lease out property on Ottawa. He said activity has also picked up in the last few months in the whole area, including nearby Walter Street (near Kenilworth).

"Now that the notice is official about the ... mall, people believe it's going to happen," he said. According to Lapcevich, Kenilworth is the next hot spot. "There is going to be a lot of growth on that street, it's got Mountain access, it's a major road and it's got good buildings."

Ray Lee, acting manager of development planning, said Redcliff has accommodated a series of requests to make changes to make the shopping centre fit the landscape.

"We didn't want the (centre) to look like a big-box development," said Lee. "We didn't want to look down Barton and see a wall of bricks."

Burton, of the mall's property management company, said the overall purpose of the design is to create a people-friendly place.

Although a redevelopment of an inner-city mall is more challenging than a new shopping centre, Burton said the site has its advantages, including long street frontage, flat property, public transit links and an existing market.

There are still some question marks around the fates of Canadian Tire and Sears which owned properties near the mall. There is an agreement to keep Canadian Tire, although it may move near Kenilworth. The owners acquired the Sears property but it's not certain whether the store will stay.

The aim is to appeal to the "mosaic" that is central Hamilton, Burton said.

"We want to stop the outflow of people to Burlington. The market's changed ... and we have to cater to their needs."

Burton said the overhaul will take about two-and-a-half years to complete but the bulk of the work will be done by the end of next summer. He said some new buildings will go up before the enclosed mall is torn down.

Redcliff is expected to submit its revised architectural site plan to the city Monday. Once the plan receives formal approval, construction will start as soon as possible, said Burton.

"The owners are very keen, they're very bullish on Hamilton. We've been raring to go for a long time."

Old Posted Nov 24, 2007, 2:43 PM
Closed account

ok, so a very interesting piece in today's Spec about Centre Mall. Sounds like new plans will be submitted to the city on Monday. Thank goodness! These current plans that I have are pretty lame.
IF (that's a fairly big 'if') this project is actually people friendly and goes ahead in the manner being discussed in today's article, then this will be great for the area.
Once again, I think it shows the power that citizens have. Many citizens have shared their opinions on this project because many citizens are passionate about this neighbourhood. Every so often you get a builder/developer who seems willing to listen and revise plans (IF they actually have).
Anyhow...anyone have any clue what this 'destination store' will be that is supposed to be announced in the next few weeks?
I sure hope some activity spills onto Kenilworth and Barton. Would be great for the area.
I live downtown, but will make the trip over there much more regularly to check out the new farmers market and enjoy Ottawa St come spring time.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2007, 2:44 PM
Closed account

haha! we posted at the exact same time.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2007, 2:47 PM
It's Hammer Time

haha it's a good article! A must post!

I'm surprised with this quote "Ottawa Street North -- already the city's No. 1 tourist destination"

I hope the design includes like a pedestrian trail or something to each store to encourage people to walk to each store instead of park and go.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2007, 2:55 PM
It's Hammer Time

Centre Mall directory

The Hamilton Spectator
(Nov 24, 2007)

It's safe to say Centre Mall will not be recognizable after its reno. But some of the tenants will be.

The stores' banners may be similar but expect to see the latest and greatest these retailers have to offer in terms of store formats and design. Confirmed tenants include:
1) Zeller's.
2) Loblaws -- format unknown. (The Barn is near the mall but is owned by a different corporation, Metro).
3) Shopper's Drug Mart -- new store moving out to Barton Street.
4) Five financial institutions that already have room in the mall: TD Canada Trust, Scotiabank, CIBC, Royal Bank, Desjardins.
5) The Beer Store -- on Barton.
6) Canadian Tire -- will likely relocate to a larger format store closer to Kenilworth, perhaps with a Mark's Work Wearhouse.

Other elements of the centre include:
1) A small building for medical arts such as doctor or dentist offices. (Two are already in offices at the mall).
2) A destination store expected to be announced in the next few weeks.
3) Three bus stops inside the property, along with facilities for cyclists.
4) Food pavilion -- will have an enclosed space with five or six restaurants, washrooms, meeting space, outdoor and indoor seating.

Don Burton at Redcliff said: "We recognize Centre Mall is a meeting place and it would be a mistake not to have some sort of venue to let that continue."

Old Posted Nov 24, 2007, 3:16 PM
Closed account

let's hope that food pavilion is done up right...outdoor seating would be great.
what would be a destination store?? That sounds to me like it would have to be something not currently in Hamilton.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2007, 3:16 PM
Closed account

I'm pretty sure the RBG is the city's number 1 tourist destination.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2007, 3:39 PM
Closed account

^actually, that would be burlington's #1 tourist destination.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2007, 4:14 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dude View Post
^actually, that would be burlington's #1 tourist destination.
NO WAY! I refuse to turn over our best attraction, built by Hamiltonians, to Borington just because Aldershot ended up being annexed to Burlington.
The majority of RBG land is in Hamilton and Hamilton taxpayers have contributed to it FAR more than any other municipality. Burlington can claim to having the 'front entrance' and that's about it.
RBG is as Hamilton as it gets.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2007, 4:30 PM
Closed account

couldn't agree more. mind you, we gave aldershot away, so i guess it's our fault for the confusion.

speaking of which, there's some work happening at the main rbg centre as we speak. don't know what they're doing, though.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2007, 4:50 PM
Closed account

I think making it a year-round centre.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues