HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Sep 21, 2008, 4:56 AM

Arrow "They Don't Build Them Like They Use To"...6th Avenue Parkway, Denver, Colorado

6th Avenue Parkway, Denver, Colorado

I drive down this parkway on my way home from work daily and walk it every other week. Here are my shots from my walk last week, sorry it was partially cloudy and the never ending tree coverage made it very dark.

As early as 1885, Baron Walter Von Richthofen urged the development of tree-lined parkways from Denver to serve his Montclair suburb. East 6th Avenue Parkway was developed (largely between 1909 and 1912) as part of the 1909 Montclair Parkway Suburban Improvement District No. 1. Nearly two miles in length, it is the longest east-west parkway in Denver. It served a major role in shaping Denver's urban fabric. The parkway defined the city's eastern limit, it encouraged the development of adjacent residential neighborhoods (which in turn were landscaped following the planting patterns found in the parkway), and it provided an emphasis on mountain views from the parkway.

Beginning at Quebec Street, the classically designed 6th Avenue Parkway extends westward through residential neighborhoods for 25 blocks. Serving as a major connection for surrounding residents, 6th Avenue Parkway also links the parkway system to Monaco Street Parkway and Clermont Street Parkway. At Colorado Boulevard, the parkway corridor continues west as 7th Avenue Parkway. I will post shots of the homes on 7th in my next thread. The style of homes found here include: Tudor, Mediterranean, Colonial, Deco, French Chateau, Ranch, Mid Century and a few Modern structures.

Basically no high walls, but no sidewalks so it does discourage pedestrian traffic. Canopy covered streets, lush lawns and all maintained by landscapers. The fall colors are just about ready to expose themselves followed by the frost and snow that the four seasons bring to Denver. These homes fit any season at any time of day, it always just ‘feels right’ on this parkway. The hundreds of surrounding blocks have many similar homes but many have been altered. Only a few homes are new on this Parkway.

“Why do we park on driveways and drive on parkways?” – Stephen Wright

The absence of sidewalks along some of the parkway blurs the distinction between public and private space. Some residents extend fence lines and shrub beds into the public tree lawns. This has disturbed the overall linear quality and continuity of the parkway.

Modern:

The median has become a gathering space with a park-like atmosphere. Mass plantings of shrubs occur at the edges of grassed open spaces, intended to separate the pedestrian users from the vehicle. Shrub massings ten or more feet in height provide privacy and a sense of enclosure to the pedestrian users of the median. These open spaces form an axis, directing views to the mountains. The shrubs include Dogwood, Sumac, Buckhorn, Spindle Tree Euonymus, and assorted horizontal evergreens. Recently, sidewalks have been added across the median, some of which detract from the design of the plantings. Within the median, Blue Spruce and Ponderosa Pine are used as speciman plantings, giving the parkway an evergreen character while enclosing space in thick shade. Speciman evergreen trees include Rocky Mountain Juniper, Ponderosa, Pinion, and Scotch Pines, White and Douglas Fir, and Colorado Blue Spruce.

Gregorian Style For Sale - $1,450,000.00. But it does have four bedrooms!

One other Modern, actually very cool.

Good Lord, who can afford these prices now days?

Hope you enjoyed!

Denver Aztec

Denver Threads:

When Summer Attacks! – Denver, Part Two;
When Summer Attacks! – Denver, Part One;
Democratic National Convention, Part One;
Democratic National Convention, Part Two;
Historic Denver Public Schools;
Golden Triangle and the Denver Art Museum;
Lower Downtown (LoDo) and the Museum of Contemporary Art;
First Night Art Walk along Santa Fe Drive;
Historic Halloween Part 1;
Historic Halloween Part 2;
Summer 2007;
Taste of Colorado Festival

Old Posted Sep 21, 2008, 5:36 AM

I did enjoy.. You musta got every home in Denver.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2008, 7:25 AM

Amazing shots and equally amazing homes. Thats alot of shots!
83' Columbia University Degree: $60K. 91' Harvard Law School Degree: $100K. 04' US Senate victory: $80 Million. Running for office of US President: $1 Billion+. Having a half-brother living in a Kenyan shack on less than $12.00 a year: PRICELESS.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2008, 2:28 PM

Beautiful neighborhood. Love all the large trees and greenery.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2008, 3:34 PM
no its not...

many years ago...

I used to go with a girl who lived at 6th & Forest...the house was very cool inside

Old Posted Sep 21, 2008, 4:31 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Great photos! So that must be east of Colorado Blvd? I thought the parkway was on 7th Ave west of Colorado Blvd. .

Old Posted Sep 21, 2008, 4:33 PM

Thanks for the comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket1964 View Post
I did enjoy.. You musta got every home in Denver.
Actualy, this is just one street, parkway in Denver. We have several similar parkways and about 38 historic neighborhoods with homes like this. We are fortunate to have retained them. I will post 3 others soon.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2008, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dktshb View Post
Great photos! So that must be east of Colorado Blvd? I thought the parkway was on 7th Ave west of Colorado Blvd. .
Thanks Dktshb, this is east of Colorado, 7th will be my next thread, followed by Monaco PKWY and 17th Ave PKWY in Park Hill. The variety of homes on 17th is even greater. I will have to give you a tour when you come back to Denver.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2008, 9:15 PM

Solid neighbourhood!

Old Posted Sep 21, 2008, 9:30 PM

Man, I love your threads with the pictures of the houses. Great shots, looking forward to the future threads.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2008, 12:07 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

I love the negativity in the thread names: "they don't build them like they used to", "when summer attacks..." That will generate good view counts!

Another great tour! You certainly don't skimp on the photos aztec. But I love looking at nice houses; Quite a mix of housing styles. Very nice.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2008, 2:41 AM
Exploring the world

Great selection of Denver houses ! Time you moved out of your Governor's Park pad & picked up THIS place! Only 10 grand a year in taxes

Old Posted Sep 22, 2008, 7:00 PM

Thanks for the comments!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Pride View Post
I love the negativity in the thread names: "they don't build them like they used to", "when summer attacks..." That will generate good view counts!

Another great tour! You certainly don't skimp on the photos aztec. But I love looking at nice houses; Quite a mix of housing styles. Very nice.
Yes, I like to add more then just a city name or area of town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pausgree View Post
Great selection of Denver houses ! Time you moved out of your Governor's Park pad & picked up THIS place! Only 10 grand a year in taxes
The current mill levy in Denver is 66.897. For residential properties, your actual value (shown on your Notice of Valuation) is multiplied by the residential assessment rate in order to arrive at your assessed value (the residential assessment rate is set by the state, and the current rate is 7.96%, the assessment rate for all other properties is 29%). Your assessed value is then multiplied by the mill levy to arrive at your property tax bill.

Thus, if the actual value of a home is $150,000, this figure would be multiplied by the assessment rate of 7.96% for an assessed value of $11,940. This assessed value would then be multiplied by the mill levy of 66.897 (.066897) for a property tax bill of $798.75.

These homes in this neighborhood are so expensive that the property taxes are beyond insane.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2008, 7:57 PM
deep in enemy territory

I love your shots, per usual.

I wonder what those scenes looked like before Dutch Elm Disease decimated the urban forest in the late 70s.

--dave

Old Posted Sep 23, 2008, 1:30 AM
Exploring the world

Any info on this la-te-da place? Check out those pointed ends and tall chimney.....Looks like a 17th century European chateau

Old Posted Sep 23, 2008, 2:45 PM
Closed account

Man, some beautiful homes there! Thanks

Old Posted Sep 24, 2008, 12:21 PM

Thanks for the comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedensf View Post
I love your shots, per usual.

I wonder what those scenes looked like before Dutch Elm Disease decimated the urban forest in the late 70s.

--dave
When I was a kid, I would go Trick-O-Treating in this neighborhood and recall tons of leaves everywhere. Piles that you could run and jump in. I wasn't concerned when many of them began getting Dutch Elm and consequently disapeared because landscaping was not an appeal for me then. Now you have me wondering what I was not appreciating at that moment. The very near future sadly has the pine bettle on it's way to Denver, it has decimated much of the pine in the mountains. However, I think this area will spray constantly as they do have the money to afford it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pausgree View Post
Any info on this la-te-da place? Check out those pointed ends and tall chimney.....Looks like a 17th century European chateau

Hey Pausgree, your picture didn't come through, but from your description I believe it is the one below. I love using www.zillow.com to find out the price that a home last sold at. If you know an address or an intersection, it will show you a satellite view with the price on the roof. You can then select a street view. I found out this information about the home: 5130 E 6th Avenue Pkwy Denver CO 80220, 4 beds, 3.5 baths, 2,606 sq ft

Zestimate®: $914,000
Monthly Payment: $ 4,777
30 year fixed rate of 5.93% with 20% down

I am thinking that it has not been on the market recently and may need some updating inside as the price could easily be double what is estimated above. I can totally see the Seven Dwarfs coming out of it. Very cool and one of my favorites.

http://www.zillow.com/homes/map/6th-...72_rect/18_zm/

Old Posted Sep 24, 2008, 4:17 PM
E pluribus unum

Whoa, this is a neighborhood in Denver!? Neighborhood kind of looks like something you'd see back east (maybe its the trees)

Got kind of a Hyde Park (Cincinnati) vibe

Old Posted Sep 24, 2008, 4:31 PM

East meets West... love it!

Old Posted Sep 24, 2008, 4:40 PM
BANNED

6th ave was one of my favorite walks in Denver. My one friend use to live on Josephine and 6th ave.

Great thread.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos