HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Nov 17, 2022, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleWhiteOut View Post
Anyone else think this is a little “cart before the horse”? I’ve lived in Philly for a decade and this overall project has been promoted as “imminent” in one form or another for nearly as long. Admittedly, I never venture to that part of the city to check in, but my understanding is they have barely scratched the surface on safely remediating the Beury Building, let alone broke ground on the first new wing of the expansion. Now they are proposing a Phase 2? Can anyone share an update on the concrete progress this project has made to date?

Last edited by PHLJD13; Nov 17, 2022 at 9:15 PM.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2022, 9:04 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
While I don't doubt that this was an active intersection, the density in that area at the time wouldn't create such a pedestrian crush. There must have been some type of event.

Edit - back in the 1930/40s, I don't know if work let out like school would let out, i.e. everyone empties out of an office building at exactly the same time. I suppose that could explain it as well.

^ I thought the same. It almost looks like the end of a parade or a Presidential motorcade or something. The sidewalks look lined and those dashed things on the pavement seem strange.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Nov 17, 2022, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysb View Post
That said, pretty tacky veiled threat at the end....choose us or a big building and gentrification will take over!
I totally see what you mean by the threat but NIMBYism often back fires which might be the deeper point they are making. A couple examples that come to mind:

1) The Harper – the building was to be built on the corner of 19th and Chestnut but zoning wouldn’t allow the height and the neighborhood fought the re-zoning. At the same time, a group was fighting to preserve the Boyd theater. Due to the fight, Pearl picked up the adjacent properties, demoed the Boyd to give them the FAR to build it out right.
2) St Laurentius in Fishtown – there was a viable proposal to convert the church to apartments. The neighbors fought to keep it a church and shut down the development. The end result, another developer comes in, demo’s the property and now there still apartments there but no church building. Great.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2022, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
^ I thought the same. It almost looks like the end of a parade or a Presidential motorcade or something. The sidewalks look lined and those dashed things on the pavement seem strange.
Lol, I included that statement just to see what other people thought. It's very possible something was happening. I do wonder what the historic population density was. I would guess at least 40k people per square mile, if not higher.

Love old photos of north broad

North Broad Street: A history in photos

Old Posted Nov 17, 2022, 10:26 PM

It's a bit of sad commentary that building three tall office buildings is a threat. LOL! People would actually get up in arms over a bunch of Liberty Place sized office buildings - on Market Street. Could you imagine how many jobs (permanent and temporary) would be created and how that would trickle down into the City's coffers? And all those office workers patronizing local businesses. Might even add enough people to the streets to drown out the Black Israelites. Who would ever want any of that?!

I do fully support the Sixers plan. But just thought it was funny that they're using office buildings as this horrific alternative. Which of course is silly anyway b/c we all know Philly is not getting 3 900+ ft office towers - on Market East of all places! If that were remotely possible, office buildings would be a no-brainer over an arena.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2022, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
It's a bit of sad commentary that building three tall office buildings is a threat. LOL! People would actually get up in arms over a bunch of Liberty Place sized office buildings - on Market Street. Could you imagine how many jobs (permanent and temporary) would be created and how that would trickle down into the City's coffers? And all those office workers patronizing local businesses. Might even add enough people to the streets to drown out the Black Israelites. Who would ever want any of that?!
Leave it to McBane to bring that up! Just joking - I do like your contrarian perspective on here. But jokes aside, I'm haven't been on East Market much since the pandemic but I haven't seen or heard about that crew in years. Are they still around?

Old Posted Nov 17, 2022, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Zoning nuances also make the Sixers believe this is the city’s best chance to revitalize a declining area. If this project does not pan out, Adelman said, another developer could buy the property and “build a Liberty Place-[style] building on each of the three blocks [of the Fashion District] … walk in with a permit, over the counter, and not have to give any of the community groups anything.”
...I mean this is exactly what I would prefer lol, mixed use/office is what downtowns are for. And Chinatown would get lots of lunch traffic and more jobs residents could walk to. What a stupid statement.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 2:25 AM

Deleted post

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 2:37 AM

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 11:46 AM

Quote:
...I mean this is exactly what I would prefer lol, mixed use/office is what downtowns are for. And Chinatown would get lots of lunch traffic and more jobs residents could walk to. What a stupid statement.
Why not both?

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 2:53 PM
Chris

Quote:
My hope is that the arena sparks mixed-use development on nearby blocks. Best of both worlds, a new arena/venue, and nearby apartments, offices, hotels, retail, etc.

Demo for the arena won't start until 2026 (assuming the plans sticks), but maybe the South side of Market will move quicker? To my knowledge there is nothing holding back a fresh on the South side.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 3:52 PM

I honest to god don't see how this is a threat to Chinatown. Our Chinatown will never look like DC's generic AF Chinatown because we have actual Chinese people living there. DC's Chinatown was never that vibrant to begin with. It was more like a retail strip than an actual neighborhood.

That being said, aren't there more Chinese people in Mayfair at this point than there are in Chinatown? Hell, there might be more Chinese people in Northbank at this point.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 4:30 PM

Also no one is mentioning that DC has a height restriction ratio that limits buildings to 200 feet but most buildings are around 150 feet. The DC/Philly comparison is comparing apples and oranges. Philly has so much room around Market East to build up without infringing on Chinatown. Pretty much the entire South side of Market Street from 11th to 8th can be demolished besides the awesome federal court building at 9th. Then you have all of the surface lots from 8th to Broad, Vine to Arch. The anti development mentality in Philly is really something. In the midst of a gun/opioid/carjacking explosion, you'd have to be crazy to not think the Sixers investing in center city is a bad thing for the city.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reparcsyks View Post
I can already anticipate the online reviews — “nice hotel, but the neighborhood is scary, would not recommend walking around at all.”

Good on the developer for skating to where the puck will be, but man, this is some next-level foresight.
Yeah, Im still surprised by this project

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 5:08 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadandMarket View Post
Also no one is mentioning that DC has a height restriction ratio that limits buildings to 200 feet but most buildings are around 150 feet. The DC/Philly comparison is comparing apples and oranges. Philly has so much room around Market East to build up without infringing on Chinatown. Pretty much the entire South side of Market Street from 11th to 8th can be demolished besides the awesome federal court building at 9th. Then you have all of the surface lots from 8th to Broad, Vine to Arch. The anti development mentality in Philly is really something. In the midst of a gun/opioid/carjacking explosion, you'd have to be crazy to not think the Sixers investing in center city is a bad thing for the city.
Doesn't PREIT own most of the 1000 block on Market south side?
I imagine they want to offload and raise capital. I know potential demo of the Robinson Building (midblock) was contested at one point, but hopefully that entire block can be razed and start fresh.

And I doubt Goldenberg will do anything with 8th & Market since they are focused on their Broad & Lombard project.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Doesn't PREIT own most of the 1000 block on Market south side?
I imagine they want to offload and raise capital. I know potential demo of the Robinson Building (midblock) was contested at one point, but hopefully that entire block can be razed and start fresh.

And I doubt Goldenberg will do anything with 8th & Market since they are focused on their Broad & Lombard project.
PREIT hinted that something was brewing on the south side. I think the magnificent failure that the Gallery turned into stopped their plans dead. But I'm surprised they're holding on with no action whatsoever.

We're decades away from disney hole action, I fear.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2022, 2:24 AM

Drove past tonight and it looks like the Site has been cleared for the 11 story development at 4400 Market street.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2022, 5:20 PM

Quote:
This turned out nice.

Brick Overbuild Close to Completion Near 2nd & Market
https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...ear-2nd-market

Much better than what the building looked like before:

Before

After

Old Posted Nov 19, 2022, 5:24 PM

Will The Poplar Get Some More Neighbors Soon?

Current site:

Site plans:

Project renderings:

Quote:
We last discussed these properties in January 2020 when there were plans for The Darien, two 11-story buildings, featuring 112 and 276 units for a grand total of 388 new apartments. Unfortunately for our skyline-expanding desires, these grand plans from Hightop Development and CosciaMoos Architecture have since been scaled down, with two five-story buildings now planned instead. Zoning documents were issued this week giving the go-ahead to move forward on this now 212-unit plan.
Read/view more here:
https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...neighbors-soon

Old Posted Nov 19, 2022, 5:26 PM

Quote:
A New Addition, Renderings for North Broad’s Beury Building

Never would I have expected they're so bullish on the Beury building hotel that they're proposing a new 10 story adjacent addition for more rooms
I too think this may be a little too soon for the area... and am certainly concerned about out of town guests who may book a room here entirely unfamiliar with the area... however, if they do pull this off... HOLY SHIT that building will be gorgeous.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development