HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

King's Wharf Lot I in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jan 13, 2015, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Re-reading your comments, I can't help but wonder how those in big cities can sleep with such big-city noises as sirens and traffic (and the ubiquitous horn-blowing) going all night... seems to me that there is nothing more "city" than living in a condo and hearing loud noises all night. Sounds like Dartmouth is moving into the big time.
I can't disagree. I lived for two years at the bottom of Bayview, overlooking the Bedford Highway, CERES and the Rockingham rail yard. All night long you could hear the sound of squealing brake shoes, couplers slamming together and, yes, the occasional airhorn. It might have taken me two nights to get used to it.

Sorry, but I have very little sympathy for landowners who purchase their properties, knowing their environment, then demand that government help them change things. I have even less respect for grandstanding politicians who cater to that crowd.

If I was living at King's Wharf -- and I've considered it -- I'd be more than happy to have a rail crossing that's a safe as possible. And I'd be even happier with more rail traffic and less road traffic through downtown.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 2:38 AM

Quote:
Re-reading your comments, I can't help but wonder how those in big cities can sleep with such big-city noises as sirens and traffic (and the ubiquitous horn-blowing) going all night... seems to me that there is nothing more "city" than living in a condo and hearing loud noises all night. Sounds like Dartmouth is moving into the big time.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...eir-horns.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/29/ny...igns.html?_r=0
Honestly, I love the sound of the city. Sirens, whistles, horns, yelling, bustling, traffic.

Everything except the ridiculous blast of motorcycle exhaust on choppers. The rest is great.

On this count, I really don't have a dog in the race, other than the fact that I quite dislike CN Rail these days. Just a duplicitous company.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2015, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilan8888 View Post
The constant honking is, I think, kinda a New York thing.

Not that there's not plenty of honking in other cities, just that I've lived in TO for 7 years, and when I went to Manhattan last month for the first time on a business trip, my colleague brought up all the constant honking.

I sort of liked it though, myself.
Yeah, perhaps the honking wasn't the best example, but even sirens, city crews working through the night when traffic is low, etc.

Personally, once I get used to these sounds they strangely provide a level of comfort - the usual noises to remind me that I'm home. Probably because I have lived near train horns, a fire station, and a busy street during different times in my life.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2015, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns_kid View Post
I can't disagree. I lived for two years at the bottom of Bayview, overlooking the Bedford Highway, CERES and the Rockingham rail yard. All night long you could hear the sound of squealing brake shoes, couplers slamming together and, yes, the occasional airhorn. It might have taken me two nights to get used to it.

Sorry, but I have very little sympathy for landowners who purchase their properties, knowing their environment, then demand that government help them change things. I have even less respect for grandstanding politicians who cater to that crowd.

If I was living at King's Wharf -- and I've considered it -- I'd be more than happy to have a rail crossing that's a safe as possible. And I'd be even happier with more rail traffic and less road traffic through downtown.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2015, 1:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterfactual View Post
Honestly, I love the sound of the city. Sirens, whistles, horns, yelling, bustling, traffic.

Everything except the ridiculous blast of motorcycle exhaust on choppers. The rest is great.

On this count, I really don't have a dog in the race, other than the fact that I quite dislike CN Rail these days. Just a duplicitous company.
I kind of figured that you'd be one to embrace city noises. I don't know much about CN these days, but it often seems that when former government corporations go private, the resultant company seems to maintain a level of disfunctionality and lack of concern for the public welfare as a carryover - perhaps this is also as a result when inheriting a monopoly (i.e. NS Power).

I'm with you on those horrific V twin bikes with straight pipes (no mufflers). I'm amazed at how they are able to get away with it, as I know I'd be tossed in jail if I tried to do the same with my car (which I wouldn't). One small advantage of the wintertime...

Old Posted Jan 17, 2015, 1:57 AM

Quote:
I kind of figured that you'd be one to embrace city noises. I don't know much about CN these days, but it often seems that when former government corporations go private, the resultant company seems to maintain a level of disfunctionality and lack of concern for the public welfare as a carryover - perhaps this is also as a result when inheriting a monopoly (i.e. NS Power).

I'm with you on those horrific V twin bikes with straight pipes (no mufflers). I'm amazed at how they are able to get away with it, as I know I'd be tossed in jail if I tried to do the same with my car (which I wouldn't). One small advantage of the wintertime...
(The part I've highlighted), that's a really interesting / astute observation, Mark. And when I think about it, strikes me as quite right. CN, being just one example. I'd say the British company "BT" (formerly Crown company British Telecom) is a great example from a British context.

On the bikes with exhaust pipes with no mufflers, yeah, I don't understand how that is not against the law. Or if it is against the law, how I never hear of anyone pinched for the thing. It's one of the worst things.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2015, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterfactual View Post

On the bikes with exhaust pipes with no mufflers, yeah, I don't understand how that is not against the law. Or if it is against the law, how I never hear of anyone pinched for the thing. It's one of the worst things.
That's the thing. It is illegal. Just like most part sold to aftermarket suppliers. Mostly all have warnings that they are for off-road only. Look at all these lifted trucks and jeeps. If cops went strictly by the book, they would be ticketed. But again, if they did that, people doing one kilometer over the limit would also get a ticket.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 8:43 PM
New Brunswick booster!

Any updates of the picture kind? :p

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 12:11 AM

This is a bit old, from the 10th, but better than nothing I suppose.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 12:19 AM
Volatile Pacivist

When's the big one going to get started?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 1:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
When's the big one going to get started?
Good question.
Several years away. Sales in metro are poor.
The Anchorage sales were very weak, almost non-existent. The developer took out 2 year mortgages on many of the units and the mortgages will be up for renewal this summer.
The bankers may draw in their horns a little if they don't see an uptick in the metro economy.
The oil price slump is good and bad but may cause Shell & BP to delay their offshore drilling.
Gulf states oil production is not being reduced as the countries are negotiating rates for tanker storage.
The only bright spot is the shipbuilding programme so McNeil better make sure that Junior guarantees no delays if he forms government.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2015, 3:11 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post
The Anchorage sales were very weak, almost non-existent.
According to the website, all but two units in the Anchorage have been sold.

I wouldn't be surprised if sales are a bit better in the main tower than in these buildings, and supposedly some people have already put down deposits on the units even though construction won't start for a while.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2015, 3:13 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Well will be nice to see it get started. It's the one that will have a real impact on the skyline.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2015, 7:43 AM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
According to the website, all but two units in the Anchorage have been sold.

I wouldn't be surprised if sales are a bit better in the main tower than in these buildings, and supposedly some people have already put down deposits on the units even though construction won't start for a while.
I agree... those are the most desirable. I'd assume they are coming next.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2015, 7:43 AM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post
Good question.
Several years away. Sales in metro are poor.
The Anchorage sales were very weak, almost non-existent. The developer took out 2 year mortgages on many of the units and the mortgages will be up for renewal this summer.
The bankers may draw in their horns a little if they don't see an uptick in the metro economy.
The oil price slump is good and bad but may cause Shell & BP to delay their offshore drilling.
Gulf states oil production is not being reduced as the countries are negotiating rates for tanker storage.
The only bright spot is the shipbuilding programme so McNeil better make sure that Junior guarantees no delays if he forms government.
I don't think shipbuilding folks are the clientele, or that it really has any bearing on this development.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2015, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
I don't think shipbuilding folks are the clientele, or that it really has any bearing on this development.
My reference to the shipbuilding contract is within the context of the metro economy.
Skilled management staff in the naval shipbuilding industry are highly educated, usually in a professional society and very well paid. Irving was in Scotland last February recruiting such people and ran large adverts in several UK dailies.
The Anchorage is the building nearest the railway tracks.
Sales to related parties or subsidiaries should not be regarded as a 'sale'.
A visit to the Registry of Deeds quickly reveals the true status of the project.
Or look at PVSC online and peruse the long list of unsold units, but that does not reveal the ownership of the units.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 3:55 PM

CBC, in a rather boosterish piece on their website, reports that Francis Fares will start construction of tower four as early as next month, and that the third building is "nearly sold out".

Obviously Fares doesn't read Colin's sage advice and doesn't know his buildings are really vacant. Since he must be an idiot, like all developers, he will continue building empty shells until the money runs out.

The same story says with the completion of the fourth building and occupancy of over 800, he will launch his promised water taxi from the Kings Wharf marina to downtown, using a "sailboat with captain and crew."

"We'll take them across the harbour, they can go cruising, whatever their wish and desire is," says Fares.

Some commenting wag suggests that maybe they could put people on the train instead.

Fares adds the fourth building will be marketed specifically to young professionals rather than those downsizing oldsters.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...lete-1.2927248

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns_kid View Post
Obviously Fares doesn't read Colin's sage advice and doesn't know his buildings are really vacant. Since he must be an idiot, like all developers, he will continue building empty shells until the money runs out.
I can't tell if that's sarcastic or not...

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
The kid needs to distinguish between sales and occupancy.
And selling units to yourself and trying to rent them is a lot different from sales to unrelated persons or companies.
He'll be able to sort it out if he ignores the media and visited the Registry of Deeds.
35 of 88 units are unsold in The Anchorage.
And the moon doesn't set in the south west.

Over at the Trillium 12 of 85 units have yet to be sold.

Last edited by Colin May; Jan 25, 2015 at 4:00 AM. Reason: Correction from 36 to 35

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth