HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Rockerfeller Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Hoboken (New York City) Skyscraper Diagram

Old Posted Jan 20, 2014, 3:53 AM

Thumbs down HOBOKEN | Rockerfeller Tower | 400+ FT | 40 FLOORS

http://www.northjersey.com/realestat..._building.html

Quote:
HOBOKEN — The company that built New York’s famed Rockefeller Center says it is putting the finishing touches on plans to construct a skyline-altering project in Hoboken’s industrial northern end.

The Rockefeller Group has been talking with Hoboken city leaders for the better part of two years as the firm continued buying up land between Park Avenue and Clinton Street near the Weehawken Cove, according to the company. The full contours of the plan still have not been completed or readied for public announcement. But those familiar with Rockefeller’s working concept say the development is likely to have a number of buildings, including a tower up to 40 stories tall — which would become the city’s tallest building.
http://www.jerseycityreporter.com/pa..._popular&open&

Quote:
The company is now petitioning the city to classify the area as a redevelopment zone, sources say. Redevelopment zones allow a city to dictate zoning changes, take over some property by eminent domain, designate a developer or several developers, and make a separate tax deal with those developers.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2014, 1:25 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Hoboken should go on the path of Jersey City. Help alleviate that demand along the waterfront. Any renderings of this project?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2014, 3:49 PM
New Yorker for life

Given recent revelations, this will probably never happen.

There was another larger proposal for the waterfront railyards, but it's since been scaled way down.

www.hudsonreporter.com

Can Hoboken withstand a 75-story building?
NJ Transit proposes skyscrapers for $500M development at train tracks

By Tricia Tirella and Timothy J. Carroll
09/29/2008

Quote:
A 36-acre swath of land at the southern tip of Hoboken is an ideal location for a 75-story building, several other tall towers, and 9.2 million square feet of new development, according to NJ Transit officials and Mayor David Roberts.

Broad plans for the proposed $500 million, 20-year development were unveiled on Thursday, at the third of three public meetings held by NJ Transit to talk about their development plans for the tracks at the city's southern border.

The new development would revitalize an industrial area and bring as many as 6,000 new residents to the city. But many people believe it is out of scale for mile-square Hoboken. At the meeting, members of a private planning firm, FXFOWLE - appointed by the city and paid for by NJ Transit - tried to convince some outraged residents that condos, office buildings, and retail and park space could "beautify the blighted area" bordering Observer Highway.

http://thehobokenjournal.blogspot.co...rce-press.html

Follow up planning...

http://cdn.hoboken411.com/wp-content...pment_Plan.pdf

http://www.lcor.com/development/Page...ent&project=18

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2014, 7:15 PM

This will definitely happen. It's supported by basically everyone.

Unfortunately, NJ has an idiot governor, and Hoboken has an idiot mayor, and their political battles are now involving this. But the site is owned by the Port Authority, and it's the Port Authority that determines the future on this project.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2014, 7:35 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post

Unfortunately, NJ has an idiot governor, and Hoboken has an idiot mayor, and their political battles are now involving this. But the site is owned by the Port Authority, and it's the Port Authority that determines the future on this project.
Not the type of recognition we in Jersey want. The Jersey Shore show already gave us a bad reputation, now this corruption nonsense...

Old Posted Jan 20, 2014, 8:22 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

I hope they end up decking over the HBLR tracks as part of the project, if it goes through.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2014, 10:17 PM
BANNED

Was that are hurt by hurricane sandy?

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 12:40 AM
Homo sapiens sapiens

New York YIMBY:

Rockefeller Group Hoboken Development Jeopardized
BY: NIKOLAI FEDAK ON JANUARY 20TH 2014 AT 1:00 PM

Quote:
The scandal surrounding New Jersey Governor Chris Christie has another twist, and this time, a development by The Rockefeller Group could be threatened. Mayor Dawn Zimmer has asserted that Christie officials forced her to support the project — which she should have done anyways — and she is now publicly attacking the Governor. The ensuing battle could ensnare Rockefeller’s proposal in the process.

In addition to The Rockefeller Group’s project — which is on the city’s northern end — Hoboken’s transit terminal is also being redeveloped. The common thread between the developments is a lack of mayoral leadership and the fostering of barriers against growth, rather than the creation of solutions that could benefit the entire community.

Hoboken Terminal has seen little press, but the proposal is impressive, and would convert vacant, unused railyards into a thriving mixed-use hub, in a plan devised by SOM. The entirety of the development would comprise nearly three million square feet of new space, adding over five acres of parkland in the process, but approval has been held up by NIMBY politics. Nearby residents prefer that the land stay dilapidated and unused.

In addition to the actual development, NJ Transit’s PDF of the project indicates it would create 11,000 new jobs, and generate $15 million in additional yearly tax revenue for Hoboken. The plan is split between nearly 1.3 million square feet of residential, and 1.5 million square feet of office, with an additional 162,000 square feet of retail space.

The Rockefeller Group’s plans would be a similar boon to the city, and the proposal — which has not been publicly revealed — is worth $1.1 billion. Rockefeller will build 1.8 million square feet of office, as well as 300 condominiums and 85,000 square feet of retail space. The redevelopment would be an economic boon to the community, which suffered enormously during Sandy.
- - -

Images deleted to keep thread on topic. - D

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Last edited by Dylan Leblanc; Jan 26, 2014 at 12:38 AM.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 1:06 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
I don't think it will happen given the political state of things. At least as long as the current mayor is in office.

- - -

Deleted to keep thread on topic - D

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by Dylan Leblanc; Jan 26, 2014 at 12:39 AM.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 3:13 AM

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: These projects popping up in Jersey and the outer-boroughs will have as much impact on the skyline as the new supertalls in Manhattan (IMO of course).

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 3:19 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I think there is a lot of money and power at hand for this not to happen. Pressure is going to be put on officials for this to happen. It would be a boon if this is not built. The jobs, taxes, and units are needed. The media isn't helping either; yapping about this scandal 24/7. That moronic female mayor of Hoboken sounds like a clown btw.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 1:23 PM

As a resident of the immediate area for the Southern Hoboken proposal, I really hope they go forward with both it and the new Northern proposal. The Southern proposal has been there for a long time with seemingly little progress.

Both the North and South edges of Hoboken are currently unfriendly to pedestrian traffic. The Southern edge especially is a perfect place for high density residential considering the proximity to mass transit. Any mass developments here would mean better pedestrian access, more shops, more restaurants. I wouldn't complain about that.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I don't think it will happen given the political state of things. At least as long as the current mayor is in office.
Well the current mayor, Dawn Zimmer, supports large-scale development here. But she also has a huge beef with the governor, and she tends to be an idiot (as is the governor, IMO).

In any case, it's the Port Authority in charge here. The governor and mayor have influence, but the Port Authority is driving this development.

And I am 100% confident this site will be developed. The Port Authority has very wide latitute to develop its holdings without any sort of local review process.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 2:47 PM

Crawford, I'm sure it's NJ Transit that owns the Hoboken Terminal lands. The Port Authority is not involved. Unlike the Port Authority, NJ Transit is not exempt from local zoning. This is why there is little to no progress being made.

The Hoboken Terminal redevelopment probably deserves its own thread. This one was tonge-in-cheek relating to recent events.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIA View Post
Crawford, I'm sure it's NJ Transit that owns the Hoboken Terminal lands. The Port Authority is not involved. Unlike the Port Authority, NJ Transit is not exempt from local zoning. This is why there is little to no progress being made.
I think the Port Authority owns the railyards, and selected the Rockefeller Group for the master plan.

And I do believe they are excempt from local zoning. I don't think NJ Transit has jurisdiction over the redevelopment.

In any case, the recent shennanigans are not really relevant to the development of this parcel. The whole political thing is ultimately not going to be a determining factor in this development.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 3:01 PM

Quote:
I think the Port Authority owns the railyards, and selected the Rockefeller Group for the master plan.

And I do believe they are excempt from local zoning. I don't think NJ Transit has jurisdiction over the redevelopment.

In any case, the recent shennanigans are not really relevant to the development of this parcel. The whole political thing is ultimately not going to be a determining factor in this development.
If that's the case and the Port Authority is in charge, that's great news!! Why do all the planning documents come from NJ transit. Also the Hoboken Terminal redevelopment and the Rockerfeller Group proposal are two unconnected developments, no?

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 4:33 PM

Quote:
But the site is owned by the Port Authority, and it's the Port Authority that determines the future on this project.
Not to make this too political, but even before the most recent events it was apparent that the Port Authority is not much more than a patronage mill for the governors of NJ and NY.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 3:53 PM

The Hoboken Terminal Redevelopment and the Rockerfeller Group proposal are two independent developments on the opposite ends of town.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 1:17 AM
just a pool of mushy goo

Anybody else just see the Hoboken city councilman on The Chris Hayes show mention some huge development proposed for Hoboken headed up by some Dutch company? Anyone have a scent of what this could be?

Trumpism is the road to ruin

Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 2:04 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

they really need a bridge over the railyards, connecting the PATH station in Hoboken with Newport. it's annoying to have to drive up and down to get to JC.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals