HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #341  
Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 1:34 AM
Colin May Colin May is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I was thinking of those who were part of the State Street debacle around the time of the 2008 financial meltdown.
We'll never know who was responsible; I assume they have moved on.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #342  
Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 9:29 AM
Keith P.'s Avatar
Keith P. Keith P. is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 6,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post
We'll never know who was responsible; I assume they have moved on.
This is HRM, remember. They could have been promoted by now.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #343  
Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 12:20 PM
midasmull midasmull is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
This is HRM, remember. They could have been promoted by now.
The CIO at that time was Terri Troy who has since moved on - the rest of the HRM team appears to be young enough that they wouldn't have been involved. My understanding is that the managers of the Pension Plan have no involvement with the management of that the HRM takes in (whether it be property taxes, fees, or affordable housing payments) so the HRM is free to mismanage it in their own special way.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #344  
Old Posted Nov 9, 2019, 7:04 AM
Querce Querce is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 102
This is before the Halifax and West Community Council this week, hopefully for the last time

https://www.halifax.ca/city-hall/com...munity-council

https://www.halifax.ca/sites/default...13hwcc1012.pdf
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #345  
Old Posted Nov 18, 2019, 7:45 PM
midasmull midasmull is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Querce View Post
This is before the Halifax and West Community Council this week, hopefully for the last time

https://www.halifax.ca/city-hall/com...munity-council

https://www.halifax.ca/sites/default...13hwcc1012.pdf
Looks like this has been approved. Hopefully we'll see some demolition equipment on site soon.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #346  
Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 12:51 PM
IanWatson IanWatson is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by midasmull View Post
Looks like this has been approved. Hopefully we'll see some demolition equipment on site soon.
I know tenants are being moved out. The Sexual Health Clinic is relocating to Bayers Road.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #347  
Old Posted Feb 28, 2020, 1:46 AM
Dmajackson's Avatar
Dmajackson Dmajackson is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: B3K Halifax, NS
Posts: 8,349
Global News - "Willow Tree Tower site to become seniors home"

Shannex has purchased this property. Demolition is set to occur this spring. They are vague about the plans for the property but just say it will meet all of the conditions from the amendments approved in November.
__________________
Halifax Developments Blog

- DJ
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #348  
Old Posted Feb 28, 2020, 2:27 AM
mleblanc mleblanc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Global News - "Willow Tree Tower site to become seniors home"

Shannex has purchased this property. Demolition is set to occur this spring. They are vague about the plans for the property but just say it will meet all of the conditions from the amendments approved in November.
What a shame to hear. I was excited with this development and what it would bring to Quinpool. Wonder what we're going to get now? (visual wise)


Although I'm sure all the NIMBY's that shot down the 30+ storey tower for this site years ago will be excited to meet all their new neighbours. And all the deliveries, ambulances, staff, and visitors that come with a seniors complex instead of retail, young families, etc that would have come with the other development.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #349  
Old Posted Feb 28, 2020, 6:15 AM
TheNovaScotian's Avatar
TheNovaScotian TheNovaScotian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Global News - "Willow Tree Tower site to become seniors home"

Shannex has purchased this property. Demolition is set to occur this spring. They are vague about the plans for the property but just say it will meet all of the conditions from the amendments approved in November.
This ought to help fix the housing crisis in Halifax...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #350  
Old Posted Feb 28, 2020, 12:20 PM
Drybrain Drybrain is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,392
Seniors' housing is needed, but given Shannex's track record I don't hold out much hope for anything with much curb appeal, nor anything that does much to enliven the neighbourhood. And this at one of the most important intersections in the city. Disappointing.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #351  
Old Posted Feb 28, 2020, 12:21 PM
Keith P.'s Avatar
Keith P. Keith P. is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 6,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNovaScotian View Post
This ought to help fix the housing crisis in Halifax...
It could help. Seniors going into it would in many cases be vacating residences and apartments they have inhabited for decades. For single-family homes, their resale could lead to buyers who would be vacating apartments, or to redevelopment of those properties into multi-unit buildings, while the apartment vacancies go towards satisfying that demand.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #352  
Old Posted Feb 28, 2020, 1:00 PM
Jstaleness's Avatar
Jstaleness Jstaleness is offline
Jelly Bean Sandwich
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Dartmouth
Posts: 1,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
Seniors' housing is needed, but given Shannex's track record I don't hold out much hope for anything with much curb appeal, nor anything that does much to enliven the neighbourhood. And this at one of the most important intersections in the city. Disappointing.
They're building this in the Toronto area so it is possible we could get a good design. Fingers crossed.



credit- experienceparkland.com
__________________
I can't hear you with my eyes closed
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #353  
Old Posted Feb 28, 2020, 1:17 PM
stevencourchene's Avatar
stevencourchene stevencourchene is offline
Steven Courchene
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: halifax
Posts: 76
wow

this is a huge disappointment what a waste!!! i know we need more seniors housing but doesn't have to be in a location such as this.
__________________
Bulid,Bulid,Bulid that's what I say!

Steven Courchene
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #354  
Old Posted Feb 28, 2020, 3:19 PM
Colin May Colin May is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,291
The sale has not yet been registered. The building is assessed at just $2,357,000.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #355  
Old Posted Feb 28, 2020, 4:59 PM
OldDartmouthMark OldDartmouthMark is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 4,964
A little bit of a disappointment, but I'll wait to see the renderings before I decide what I really think about it.

I suspect these will be higher end accommodations for retirees who are no longer able to manage their own households or need help from a PCW. Shannex and their competitors charge quite a lot for these type of accommodations and care, with monthly rents often in the $3000 - $5000 range, payable by the resident. A couple of elderly relatives of mine have been in such facilities in the past, and basically both used most of their life savings (including money from the sale of their houses) to live semi-independently, before nursing home placement.

Hopefully this means that Shannex is intending to put some money into the building to make it attractive, as the payoff is probably good for them on the other side. As privately owned and run facilities, they are in competition with other such facilities (like the Berkeley, for example), so there it is of benefit to them to make them as attractive as possible.

I guess we'll see as it unfolds.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #356  
Old Posted Feb 28, 2020, 5:18 PM
Keith P.'s Avatar
Keith P. Keith P. is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 6,601
It does seem more than a bit ironic that the oldsters who tend to show up at public hearings to complain "it's TOO TALL!!!" in response to a proposal like the one for this site could end up living in one of those dizzying towers.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #357  
Old Posted Feb 28, 2020, 5:32 PM
OldDartmouthMark OldDartmouthMark is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 4,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
It does seem more than a bit ironic that the oldsters who tend to show up at public hearings to complain "it's TOO TALL!!!" in response to a proposal like the one for this site could end up living in one of those dizzying towers.
LOL... maybe it will help sway the attitudes of such 'oldsters'... though they probably still don't want their property values to drop so they will be able to have sufficient monies to use up from the sale price of their homes to live in such 'dizzying towers'...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #358  
Old Posted Feb 28, 2020, 7:18 PM
worldlyhaligonian worldlyhaligonian is offline
we built this city
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,675
It says they're building to 25 stories... As the DA is approved, why would they build anything shorter. It would be less economical for them to do so.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #359  
Old Posted Feb 29, 2020, 12:44 AM
terrynorthend terrynorthend is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 953
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
It says they're building to 25 stories... As the DA is approved, why would they build anything shorter. It would be less economical for them to do so.
I wouldn't count on 25 stories just yet. Armco is quoted as saying Shannex would "adhere" to the DA, which included the 1.8 million to HRM, and a 25 story height, but IIRC, that is the max allowance, not a strict requirement, eg. "this must be 25 stories".

I agree that a developer gets the most value building a full 25 stories, but it just may not suit their purposes. They built that barn shaped one at College and Tower, and the design for their Toronto building pictured a little bit back in this thread is remarkably similar.

I am currently lowering my expectations, but hoping to be surprised.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #360  
Old Posted Mar 1, 2020, 6:14 AM
FuzzyWuz FuzzyWuz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
It could help. Seniors going into it would in many cases be vacating residences and apartments they have inhabited for decades. For single-family homes, their resale could lead to buyers who would be vacating apartments, or to redevelopment of those properties into multi-unit buildings, while the apartment vacancies go towards satisfying that demand.
But they would still be doing that wherever this was built.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:35 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.