HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Feb 12, 2010, 9:59 PM

[QUOTE=JET;4696221]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
Do people in Dartmouth really want viewplanes bylaws? QUOTE]

As a person in Dartmouth, I do support protecting viewplanes. Some of the views are amazing. Makes sense to protect them. JET
as a manly man in the good side of de harbor I wish to protect Jet feeling's

so if it makes him happy plase no tall stuff cus it make Jet SAD

Old Posted Feb 13, 2010, 1:47 AM
Salty Town

[QUOTE=Dr SweetLove;4696822]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post

which side of the de harbour are you on SweetLove?

Old Posted Feb 13, 2010, 2:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr SweetLove View Post

so if it makes him happy plase no tall stuff cus it make Jet SAD
What's up with your obsession with Jet?

Old Posted Feb 13, 2010, 2:41 AM

I don't understand view planes, because eventually development will take over most areas besides parks, then you have say max 4 story buildings everywhere, you can't see anything anyway because your just a person.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2010, 7:46 AM

I don't think Dartmouth should have additional viewplanes put in place...the downtown is dead enough and at the first sign of major investment and high-density development in the area (King's Wharf) we jump to stifle anything similar to it that may follow?

I may have missed something, but are there any renderings of the NSLC Agricola plans? I saw the layout on Councillor Sloane's website and I wish they would have worked to make the streetwall more uniform along there rather than breaking it up furthur, but it sounds loads better than what's there now.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2010, 3:51 PM

If I'm not mistaken this article is the first one I've seen that identifies the planned heights, 14 and 22 stories. Hopefully the renderings are available soon.

Source: The Chronicle Herald

Highrises planned in Starr area

By CHRIS LAMBIE Business Editor
Sat. Feb 13 - 4:54 AM

A three-building residential development proposed for downtown Dartmouth that’s estimated to cost as much as $60 million is about to get a public airing.

Darrell Dixon’s plan includes building a seven-storey complex on Ochterloney Street, beside the former Greenvale School, which Dexel Developments is turning into a complex of 36 loft-style apartments.

Dixon, who didn’t return calls Friday, also wants to build a 14-storey tower on the corner of Queen and Pine streets, and a 22-storey building on a vacant lot behind the former school off the Pine Street Extension.

"We want to get as many people living downtown as we can," said Coun. Gloria McCluskey (Dartmouth Centre).

A public information meeting on the project is slated for 7 p.m. Monday at Dartmouth High School.

Sobeys Land Holdings Ltd. owns the chunks of property where Dixon plans to erect the seven-storey and 22-storey buildings.

"They were going to put a grocery store there," McCluskey said. "They only did it because they thought that Atlantic Superstore was going to buy part of the Starr Manufacturing property. And, of course, (the city is) not selling the Starr property, so Sobeys dropped it."

A numbered Nova Scotia company headed by Dixon owns the other nearby property where he wants to build.

"This developer has the Sobeys land under agreement, so he has a purchase-and-sale agreement with them," said Mitch Dickey, a city planner.

Under the current zoning, Dixon could now construct a 24-unit building on each of the four lots. The buildings could be as tall as 21 metres.

But Dixon, a construction manager who does work for Shannex, wants to create about 300 units, Dickey said.

The developer hasn’t told the planner whether they’ll be apartments or condominiums. "That’s something he’ll let the market decide," Dickey said.

Dixon is asking the city for an amendment to the municipal planning strategy that would allow the three buildings he’s proposed.

"What guides us on that is community feedback," Dickey said.

A lot of low-rise buildings have gone up in downtown Dartmouth over the past decade, he said.

"Generally the feedback is not good on how they look or what their quality is like," Dickey said.

Locals who have already commented on Dixon’s plan want to make sure the project is attractive and of good quality, he said.

"He’s proposing very modern buildings. The renderings are attractive," Dickey said.

"He’s proposing a more traditional design for the Ochterloney Street building — something that would complement Greenvale School with a brick finish on it. And then the other two buildings would be more modern and contemporary."

The downtown plan calls for pedestrian-friendly streets. It aims to ensure new development brings people off the sidewalk right into a business, Dickey said.

The plan wants to promote "lively streetscapes . . . with a variety of architecture," he said.

"At the sidewalk level, buildings should really not exceed three storeys in height. They would have to step back for any level above the third floor, and that’s what (Dixon’s) showing for this proposal."

The city will likely require him to have commercial space in the largest building, which abuts the former Starr Manufacturing site.

Besides the former skate factory, levelled a decade ago, the site also borders the Shubenacadie Canal.

As part of his proposal, Dixon is offering to fund improvements to the public space called the Canal Greenway, which runs down Prince Albert Road from Sullivans Pond to Halifax Harbour.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2010, 5:49 PM
Honored Member

"We want to get as many people living downtown as we can," said Coun. Gloria McCluskey (Dartmouth Centre)."

I like to read quotes like this. Now hopefully they will forget about implementing new viewplanes and just stick with the ones that they already have.

A nicely designed 22 storey apartment in Downtown Dartmouth wouldn't look bad at all.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2010, 6:23 PM
Salty Town

The only place in Dartmouth that should have a protected view is from Dart. Common. The view should start at George's Island and end at the mouth of the Harbour. No Halifax view, no mid harbour etc. from Dartmouth common. The Dart Common is not the Citadel, there are not bus loads of tourists snapping pics of Halifax from the summit and the only locals are the very few area residents walking a dog or taking a shortcut. The Citadel is a national historic site so the idea of highrises close by is a non starter. In Dartmouth more density Downtown may pull it out of its dismal Downtown state?

Old Posted Feb 13, 2010, 6:47 PM

Since we know have some heights and whatnot I'm thinking of starting the thread for the Dartmouth sites but I can't think of a name for them ... any suggestions?

Old Posted Feb 13, 2010, 7:53 PM

From todays Herald.

Changes sweep Dartmouth

ROGER TAYLOR
PERHAPS more than any other part of Halifax Re gional Municipality, the face of the former City of Dartmouth is changing the most. Ranging from the huge Dart mouth Crossing development, which has had a domino effect on Dartmouth’s retail sector, to numerous residential devel opments, good old Dartmouth is in transition.

It all seemed to star t with the development of Dartmouth Crossing a couple of years ago, which attracted a number of stores to relocate from other shopping centres.

One was the Canadian Tire store on Tacoma Drive, just off Main Street. After Canadian Tire relocated, Sobeys moved its West phal store to take over the va cancy left by the defection.

As part of the redevelopment plan, the former grocery store was torn down and replaced with a new structure that will soon house a Lawtons Drugs

store, also part of the Sobeys group. The new building has room for offices upstairs, which will have implications for anoth er retail centre.

Meanwhile, Penhorn Mall, owned by ECL Developments Ltd.,

another subsidiary of the Sobey family-controlled Empire Co. Ltd.,

was perhaps the one retail cen tre most affected by Dartmouth Crossing because it lost Walmart as one of its anchors.

After trying to sell the proper ty without success, ECL came up with a redevelopment plan. It started with the tearing down of the former Walmart store and replacing it with a modern So beys. A strip mall, which over looks the Circumferential High way, was built across the parking lot from Sobeys.

On one side of the new Pen horn Sobeys is the familiar Sears store, which is a holdover from the old Penhorn Mall. Un der construction on the other side is a two-storey fitness club, GoodLife Fitness for Women.

The Alberta-based fitness chain GoodLife acquired locally owned Nubody’s in September.

Just down the street from Penhorn is the Staples Wood lawn Plaza, still referred to by locals as the Woodlawn Mall, which has been suffering from defections and closures.

The Woodlawn plaza lost one of its main tenants, Bank of Mon treal ,

to the rival Millstone Square Shopping Centre , built by West wood Developments Ltd. in Russell Lake West. And soon the Wood­lawn branch of the Halifax Re gional Library will be moving to the former Empire Theatres loca tion next to the Portland Street Superstore , which is currently being renovated.

A Sobeys subsidiary owns the building that houses the Law tons store and the Woodlawn

Medical Clinic, but technically that structure is not part of the Woodlawn plaza. Both the Law tons and the 22 doctors in the medical centre will be relocat ing to the new Lawtons in West phal next month.

There’s still no word on what Empire and Sobeys plan to do with the Woodlawn building once it is vacated, but it is ex pected to be redeveloped due to its convenient location and proximity to a largely resi dential part of Dartmouth.

In the meantime, Peter Mac kenzie, leasing agent with real estate brokerage C.B. Richard Ellis Ltd. , told me Friday that client Retrocom Mid-Market REIT

of Toronto owns the majority of Woodlawn plaza.

He said Retrocom isn’t in terested in acquiring the rest of the property from Empire but is pushing forward with plans.

While there are plenty of vacancies in the retail plaza, he said, it will probably take two or three months before an announcement can be make about new tenants.

It is a bit confusing, but change isn’t always an orderly process. The messiness is likely to continue for some time.

(rtaylor@herald.ca)

Old Posted Feb 13, 2010, 8:52 PM
Honored Member

Does anyone have any pictures of the Penhorn Mall now that it has been re-developed?

Old Posted Feb 13, 2010, 11:24 PM

February 2010 Phototour

Just the Chebucto Mosque going up on Matthias Lane;

Old Posted Feb 14, 2010, 12:12 AM
we built this city

Thanks for this DJ!

I've been out in Whistler for the Olympics for about 3 weeks and needed my Hali fix. This mosque is around the corner from my house.

A ton of construction is going on this winter! So much milder than last year.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2010, 5:01 PM

That mosque looks awesome! Its a shame it is so tucked out of the way. I would love to have seen it in a more prominent location.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2010, 3:05 PM

http://www.downtowndartmouth.ca/.../...ber%202009.pdf -

Some interesting short articles in here on Dartmouth Down Town, including before and after photos of the first completed Facade Improvment Project. JET

Old Posted Feb 15, 2010, 3:30 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
http://www.downtowndartmouth.ca/.../...ber%202009.pdf -

Some interesting short articles in here on Dartmouth Down Town, including before and after photos of the first completed Facade Improvment Project. JET
When I try to open this link, I get an error message. I am interested in seeing it.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2010, 3:37 PM

Quote:
When I try to open this link, I get an error message. I am interested in seeing it.
I wish that I could replicate the article as other posters have done.
I found it by googling "Greenvale estate, dartmouth, ns" and it was the third or fourth item. Might work. JET

Old Posted Feb 15, 2010, 4:04 PM

i dont know if there planning on building it but on that link there was information on a year round ice rink, and it looked pretty cool, i hope they do make one.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2010, 4:48 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
I wish that I could replicate the article as other posters have done.
I found it by googling "Greenvale estate, dartmouth, ns" and it was the third or fourth item. Might work. JET
Thanks, I found it. ( http://www.downtowndartmouth.ca/imag...ber%202009.pdf ).

Old Posted Feb 15, 2010, 8:29 PM

Quote:
I beat you this time. I got the blue screen of death.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth