HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 2:52 AM
Eschew Obfuscation

Hyatt Regency nearing completion. Original post by u/RollTribe93 on the DevelopmentSLC subreddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Development...ng_completion/

VIDEO:

https://v.redd.it/8fy3ese04yh91/HLSP...3D%3D&v=1&f=sd

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 3:41 PM

It looks like they're starting to physically address the accident at Astra this morning:

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 3:08 PM
Verticle

As a stand alone, the Hyatt is one sweet looking building. Especially if you watch the video. The window tint is so cool reminds me of water.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 3:32 PM

With Hyatt winding down, do any of you think we will see any movement related to the Arrowpress site across the street?

It has been used as staging for Hyatt, so I've been hoping we could at least get some sort of announcement or plans At least something in the next year or so.

However, we haven't really heard anything in a couple years or so for it...so I don't know.

Last edited by Blah_Amazing; Aug 17, 2022 at 3:59 PM.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Amazing View Post
With Hyatt winding down, do any of you think we will see any movement related to the Arrowpress site across the street?

It has been used as staging for Hyatt, so I've been hoping we could at least get some sort of announcement or plans At least something in the next year or so.

However, we haven't really heard anything in a couple years or so for it...so I don't know.
I know the Priskos family has been working on finalizing plans for the APS development. I have heard that some things have changed with regards to the family plans semi-recently. The decision to make a change happened shortly after Outdoor Retailer decided to return to SLC starting next year.

From what I have heard, they are planning to wait until after OR's show next year to see how attendance looks and the overall vacancy rate for the downtown hotels after the Hyatt opens. This information will help them to finalize the planned room count.

I know that there was plans to add apartments previously, I am hopeful that they are still included in the finalized plans.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 9:16 PM

Read this article which mentions the Lee Group and then found this. Anybody know anything about this? Looks cool. Would be a high rise that integrates the historic building next to the gun range.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePriceWentUp View Post
Read this article which mentions the Lee Group and then found this. Anybody know anything about this? Looks cool. Would be a high rise that integrates the historic building next to the gun range.
Nice find. It looks like this is would be around 300'.

It does look like 200 South is really going to change over the next few years.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 9:49 PM

Quote:
I know this is a skyscraper forum, but I don't love this idea. That little strip with Fice Gallery, Este Pizza, and the Indian food place across the street from Beer Bar/Bar X, People's Coffee, and Taqueria 27 is one of only a few pockets of vibrancy downtown. It also funnels people into Edison Ave with its new restaurants and bars. This area needs to remain small-scale and (relatively) charming or there isn't really a reason to live in the neighborhood.

I want these big new buildings to be placed in all the empty parking lots! But I know that's not how the real world works.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 10:06 PM

Nice Twitter thread about SLC's worst eyesores (most are high rises, but not all)

https://twitter.com/SaltLakeTom/stat...24396810129409

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 10:08 PM
Space Magi

Quote:
I've seen this before, a few years back. I don't think it's a real design. Might have been some kind of student design competition entry. Maybe they're using it as a placeholder for a new development there?

Last edited by Atlas; Aug 17, 2022 at 10:29 PM.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2022, 3:28 PM
Space Magi

A new design for the data center building on 200 S/200 E has appeared on the subreddit. Looks like a really nice adaptive reuse project to me!

Old Posted Aug 18, 2022, 7:57 PM
Ironweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
A new design for the data center building on 200 S/200 E has appeared on the subreddit. Looks like a really nice adaptive reuse project to me!
My personal preference is to raze it and build something tall.

It is better than the status quo, I suppose.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2022, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironweed View Post
My personal preference is to raze it and build something tall.

It is better than the status quo, I suppose.
I agree. Doesn’t have to be massive but 10-20 story buildings would be nice. Don’t really see those in SLC. Everything is around 5-10 stories with the exception of the few high rise projects we have going on. The design does look pretty good. And there is ground retail! Would be awesome to add retail there

Old Posted Aug 18, 2022, 8:29 PM
Space Magi

I honestly really like it, tall or not. The existing building has an interesting midcentury form that this new design largely carries forward, which is cool. Assuming it has at least a couple ground floor commercial spaces, I think it will do a lot to extend the walkability of 200S eastward toward those other massive residential developments coming soon on 400 E (Big Lots & Crown Burger sites).

In any case, it's way, way better than "The Randi" across the street.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2022, 10:23 PM
Engineer

I love the reuse of the building. I'm getting to the point where I'm against razing almost anything. It seems such a waste. There are definitely exceptions, like Royal Wood Plaza, and Big Lots, although even there I have mixed feelings, as it's been an asset for lower-income residents. But it's ugly and not at all urban and it's already closed anyway.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2022, 10:29 PM

https://citizenportal.slcgov.com/Cit...howInspection=

Building Permit for Big Lots. No renderings

Old Posted Aug 19, 2022, 9:20 PM

I think Block 200 is an attractive transition. If memory serves me correctly there were some very prohibitive cost factors that turned up in demolishing the old block 200 Data Center. I can see where this new attractive design makes for a slick and easier transition from the original. This reuse design is actually as attractive if not much more so than the apartment complex that was proposed. Even going further back the original intention was always to rework the original structure, not demolish it. The second go around with some interested developers was to demo the building, but they discovered that the demolition of this particular structure would have been cost prohibitive. While I always like to see taller structures in the downtown CBD, there are still a lot of empty or seriously underdeveloped plots like the Big Lots that can use a ten-story plus or Astra or even taller tower.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2022, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
I think Block 200 is an attractive transition. If memory serves me correctly there were some very prohibitive cost factors that turned up in demolishing the old block 200 Data Center. I can see where this new attractive design makes for a slick and easier transition from the original. This reuse design is actually as attractive if not much more so than the apartment complex that was proposed. Even going further back the original intention was always to rework the original structure, not demolish it. The second go around with some interested developers was to demo the building, but they discovered that the demolition of this particular structure would have been cost prohibitive. While I always like to see taller structures in the downtown CBD, there are still a lot of empty or seriously underdeveloped plots like the Big Lots that can use a ten-story plus or Astra or even taller tower.
The Big Lots development will be 6 stories tall. It's a 5 over 2, but the lower level of parking will be in a basement level.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2022, 8:14 PM

I like that redesign a lot. It doesn't need to be tall.

The one that should've been tall is The Randi kitty corner from that. That was a real wasted opportunity.

I think it would be cool if some time in the future a taller building could be built above the 2nd & 2nd building - emphasize above, because I would never advocate tearing that building down. But there are plenty of empty lots before we get there.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2022, 11:47 PM

I don’t think it needs to be super tall either and like the redesign with ground retail. I’d be curious though, how many recently finished/in the works buildings are in the 10-20 story range? I know there’s a few (west quarter, state street), but not sure how many. Seems like a few more stories would have been nice, but I know it comes down to profit margins and cost

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West