HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Bolded that seems to be the "go to" around here as a poor excuse for substandard infrastructure!
You overlooked that my suggesting to "lower the speed" was part of a bigger piece -- merging through traffic to a single lane before the choke points to effectively created a time specific extended acceleration lane.

I would guess the biggest challenge isn't the total volume of traffic but rather with getting traffic at those points merged into the through traffic flow.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 8:52 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Perhaps adding a longer, dedicated acceleration lane and ramp metering would help solve the issue?

Adding a third lane from West Hawk/Falcon Lake to Winnipeg for seasonal cottage traffic doesn't sound viable.

Another alternative would be to lower the speed east of the merge points and force through traffic into a single lane. That would create gaps to allow the traffic to merge into the existing flow. Or perhaps temporary traffic lights to control the flow and allow traffic to merge in. Both options could be limited in operation to peak volume times and would have minimal expense to implement.
Okay I have to be frank here. This is why Manitoba infrastructure sucks.
(1) In Ontario, we have built divided freeways(!) for cottage traffic (well, mixed with long haul commercial traffic), in the sparsely populated central and northeastern parts of the province. If Ontario, which typically has a hard time justifying such expenditure, can do it, I honestly can’t see why Manitoba isn’t able to twin the remainder of TCH.
(2)&(3) A super-2 is still a freeway. A speed limit of 100 kph appropriate, and there must be absolutely no stop lights (like, actually). What you’re describing seems to be an issue of capacity (I’ll let engineers on SSP weigh in), which can only be addressed by increasing roadway capacity, i.e. twinning here.

Edit: I just see your new comment. How do you merge traffic into single lane when each direction only gets 1 lane to begin with?

Ps: Sorry I have to be harsh as I see it necessary to discourage this line of thinking.

Last edited by Dengler Avenue; Apr 15, 2021 at 9:04 PM.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 9:05 PM

Based on the fact they are doing the structure rehabs and design for twinning. I'd suspect that will happen in the near future over any of the other options presented.

Perhaps the West Hawk interchange will be upgraded into a trumpet along more modern standards. With Falcon maintaining that elongated trumpet thing they have going on. It would be best for Falcon to just build a new diamond to align with the access into Falcon and the ranch/ whatever the Lake is called to the north.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2021, 9:42 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

By the way, if anyone happens to be in Falcon Lake area these days, can you go to the provincial boundary and see whether there’s actually O.P.P. there discouraging non-essential interprovincial travel? The order should be in effect starting 12:01 am Saturday (17th).
I just wanna see whether O.P.P. actually enforces the order.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2021, 10:30 PM

^ My neighbours stayed home this weekend so it must be serious

I would be surprised if the OPP didn't engage in a little 'show of force' at the MB/ON border. It's easy enough to do with only one main artery in and out.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2021, 1:45 PM
What could go wrong?

My neighbours went yesterday and got through.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Apr 17, 2021, 2:16 PM
the first stamp is free

Barricades go up on Monday.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2021, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Barricades go up on Monday.
Well that's 2 years then my cottage won't see anyone. Hope the Ontario government has a nice tax relief package for us cottage owners who cannot even upkeep our cottages.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2021, 3:01 PM
the first stamp is free

One of the reasons you may be let thru the barricades is to complete necessary maintenance.

But I wouldn't chance doing anything beyond that.

Why couldn't you go last summer?

We have a family cottage near Kenora and last summer was pretty normal all things considered.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 3:44 PM
BANNED

News today conference about the construction of Rockall Road in Headingley as part of the South Perimeter highway project.

Was extending Centre Port no longer the viable option?

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 3:48 PM

From what I can tell that's down between Roblin and Wilkes.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
One of the reasons you may be let thru the barricades is to complete necessary maintenance.

But I wouldn't chance doing anything beyond that.

Why couldn't you go last summer?

We have a family cottage near Kenora and last summer was pretty normal all things considered.
Reason was at the start of was closed. By the time it was opened the season was half over. And with my own business here there just wasn't time.
What irks me is my boats is sitting shrink wrapped and paying hefty Marina charges. Besides that at the and of 2019 I hauled about $3000 worth of lumber for our new dock. Which is now probably worth $10k. And in 2018 the cottage was broken into. So I'm very sure I'll be seeing another claim.
I have a useless neighbour where my cottage is that lives in KTown and her daddy is part of city council and she uses it to her advantage. My family has been there in the same cottage since 1917. She's been there since 2019. But we get the shit stick thanks to daddy. She had stop work orders on us for a dock..... Even though she mowed all the trees down in her lot. We kept ours natural and forested. But she said to daddy we were an environmental concern. LoL. We have then most environmentally conscious lot on the bay ffs.

Kenora is run by idiots.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 4:17 PM
BANNED

^ Tell us how you feel!

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 4:21 PM

Quote:
^ Tell us how you feel!
Come on now. You always do

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 7:12 PM

Quote:
News today conference about the construction of Rockall Road in Headingley as part of the South Perimeter highway project.

Was extending Centre Port no longer the viable option?
I’ve never heard of this or the name of the road. What is this project related to in regards to the perimeter?

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpgstvsouth94 View Post
I’ve never heard of this or the name of the road. What is this project related to in regards to the perimeter?
A quick search turns up that Rockhall Rd would run along the west side of the Perimeter between Roblin and Wilkes. The existing road in the area, Caron Rd, is in the City of Winnipeg. The properties along Caron Rd fall inside the RM of Headingley and include a number of commercial/light industrial properties. The addition of the new road would move control of the local road to the RM and allow for additional commercial/light industrial development for the area.

This project likely ties into funding for service road changes along the Perimeter related to closing of access points.

Shindico

Headliner article from Nov 2019

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 10:09 PM

Quote:
A quick search turns up that Rockhall Rd would run along the west side of the Perimeter between Roblin and Wilkes. The existing road in the area, Caron Rd, is in the City of Winnipeg. The properties along Caron Rd fall inside the RM of Headingley and include a number of commercial/light industrial properties. The addition of the new road would move control of the local road to the RM and allow for additional commercial/light industrial development for the area.

This project likely ties into funding for service road changes along the Perimeter related to closing of access points.

Shindico

Nice another win. That road being closed was dicey when adrenaline adventures was still operating. It looks like Shindico wants to keep adding industrial there so it's nice to see that close before more truck traffic pops up.

Any updates on the Aimes service road construction by St Annes rd? Last time I drove by the bridge looked complete minus the paving but the approaches and road base for the service road was not started.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 11:44 PM

Quote:

Shindico

Thank you found it! Exciting. They didn’t even give a construction start day. I would assume that means it’s starting immediately!!

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post
Nice another win. That road being closed was dicey when adrenaline adventures was still operating. It looks like Shindico wants to keep adding industrial there so it's nice to see that close before more truck traffic pops up.

Any updates on the Aimes service road construction by St Annes rd? Last time I drove by the bridge looked complete minus the paving but the approaches and road base for the service road was not started.
I’m wondering the same thing. It’s not like the road base is affected by any weather. I always question the speed of construction in this province...

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 3:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpgstvsouth94 View Post
I’m wondering the same thing. It’s not like the road base is affected by any weather. I always question the speed of construction in this province...
Road base requires a lot of water to compact. It can't be done in freezing temperatures. For job planning purposes, road crews start after May long. Sometimes they can start a week or two early.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan