HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Nov 12, 2021, 4:29 AM
Show me the blueprints

The best solution for this complicated site would have been the MTA incorporating tower supporting foundations into the ventilation buildings engineering so a third.of the site wasn't essentially unbuildable. They could have made some sort of arrangment where the future development owner reimbursed the MTA for the foundation work so they recouped the cost. We would be getting a full.site build out instead of this bizarre thing.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Nov 12, 2021, 4:33 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
The best solution for this complicated site would have been the MTA incorporating tower supporting foundations into the ventilation buildings engineering so a third.of the site wasn't essentially unbuildable. They could have made some sort of arrangment where the future development owner reimbursed the MTA for the foundation work so they recouped the cost. We would be getting a full.site build out instead of this bizarre thing.
Not necessarily. In this age, a lot of non-traditional looking buildings are getting built.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 2:28 PM
BANNED

I’ll gladly take a 1,650’ version of this.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 2:58 PM

The only good thing about this is the height, it looks so awkward as it is presented. Back to the drawing board.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 3:40 PM
Ω

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Maybe I'm in the minority but I kind of like it aside from the cantilevered angle, which is ugly.

Tower Fifth on the other hand is way worse IMO.

I'm the same. I love the details and materials, dislike the overall massing and silhouette. But it is sort of growing on me.

I'm surprised by how similar the neo-gothic arch motif looks to the old WTC towers. That had to come up in the design process, right?

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 4:33 PM
I like Skyscrapers 🏙

Well, everything can’t stay the same, it had to change.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 5:31 PM

Honestly I think this would be a beautiful building if it was literally just a square all the way up, no canti-levers or anything

Old Posted Dec 5, 2021, 2:21 PM
BANNED

I hope that this tower has less than 1m sf of office space so that it can be built on spec.

Having Witkoff on board is significant.

https://amsterdamnews.com/news/2021/...k-achievement/

Last edited by NYguy; Dec 7, 2021 at 5:54 AM.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2021, 4:13 AM
BANNED

Does anyone know if Community Board 4 can thwart this tower or demand a height cut, or are its decisions advisory only?

https://www.archpaper.com/2021/10/co...n-yards/?amp=1

Old Posted Dec 7, 2021, 5:55 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
Does anyone know if Community Board 4 can thwart this tower or demand a height cut, or are its decisions advisory only?

https://www.archpaper.com/2021/10/co...n-yards/?amp=1

This is a state development. But community boards are always only advisory anyway. As of now, no proposal has been selected.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2021, 12:41 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
This is a state development. But community boards are always only advisory anyway. As of now, no proposal has been selected.
Thanks. That's what I thought.

There's no way that it won't be selected. I'm pleased with that. I think that it's amazing.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2021, 12:54 PM
New Yorker for life

We don’t discuss politics here, and not knowing what the other proposals are, no way to weigh it. What will be weighed though, is ability to get the project started. A committed tenant or financing would go a long way towards that.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2021, 1:10 PM
New Yorker for life

https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/bla...er-11638882002

Black Developer Aims to Build New York’s Tallest Skyscraper

By Anne Kadet
Dec. 7, 2021

Quote:
An architecturally ambitious skyscraper proposed for Manhattan’s West Side would be by one measure the tallest in the Western Hemisphere, and a property its Black developer hopes would be symbolic.

The project known as Affirmation Tower is a 2 million square-foot, $3.5 billion development planned for a 1.2-acre plot of state-owned land facing the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center. It is one of a number of proposals that New York state’s Empire State Development Corporation is considering for the site.
Quote:
Designed by Sir David Adjaye, a Black Ghanaian-British architect, the tower would be developed, built and largely funded by a team of Black-owned companies. The partners said they would award a significant share of the construction work, exceeding the 30% suggested by the state, to minority- and female-owned contractors.

The office space could attract a mix of minority entrepreneurs and the global businesses that are increasingly seeking high-end office space on the city’s West Side, Mr. Peebles said. The local offices of the NAACP would be among the first tenants.
Quote:
At 1,663 feet, the 90-story building would be taller by floor height than One World Trade Center, but shorter by spire height. Mr. Peebles said this was done out of respect. “Nearly 3,000 people lost their lives there, so we have to be mindful of that,” he said.

Mr. Peebles’s partnership faces tough competition for the rights to the site. It occupies one of the few remaining parcels of undeveloped Manhattan land. The once-forlorn far West Side has been booming in recent years with huge office, retail and residential projects from the big real-estate companies Related Cos., Brookfield Properties and others.
Quote:
The state’s call for proposals in March has sparked interest from major developers. Brookfield, Related, Rockrose Development Corp. and Tishman Speyer were among those sending representatives on a site tour, according to state documents. The Empire State Development Corporation declined to comment on when it expects to select a winner.

It is an attractive opportunity, said Jonathan Miller, president and CEO of Manhattan-based real estate appraisal and consulting firm Miller Samuel Inc. “It’s not an outlier, it’s the next location,” he said of the site.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2021, 4:32 PM
I like Skyscrapers 🏙

“At 1,663 feet, the 90-story building would be taller by floor height than One World Trade Center, but shorter by spire height. Mr. Peebles said this was done out of respect. “Nearly 3,000 people lost their lives there, so we have to be mindful of that,” he said.”

Huh, so that’s why they kept the buildings shorter than 1 WTC. Kind of a shame.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2021, 5:07 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raysiri View Post
“At 1,663 feet, the 90-story building would be taller by floor height than One World Trade Center, but shorter by spire height. Mr. Peebles said this was done out of respect. “Nearly 3,000 people lost their lives there, so we have to be mindful of that,” he said.”
I just want to shake people that perpetrate this baloney. No one cares about the significance of 1WTC spire height!!! The symbolic roof height of 1WTC has already been surpassed...how does a nod to the tv antenna height have one fucking thing to do with honoring Sept 11 victims? It doesnt it! It reminds me of the MTA's reluctance to leave the giant American flag stickers off their vehicles I guess because they dont want to be blamed for being unpatriotic or some such nonsense?

Anyways, that being said im still against this absurd design and at this point would vote for onw of the other proposals sight unseen as long as it didnt look like it was about to fall over.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Dec 7, 2021, 5:31 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
”At 1,663 feet, the 90-story building would be taller by floor height than One World Trade Center, but shorter by spire height. Mr. Peebles said this was done out of respect. “Nearly 3,000 people lost their lives there, so we have to be mindful of that,” he said.”
To be taken at value, we have to know the full context. Was there a David Adjaye design for a taller tower? Was it shortened by removing a spire? What exactly are we talking about? The proposal is exceptionally tall as it is. I would like to see that taller design, otherwise I just see this as baloney, just a standard answer given to the obvious question.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2021, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raysiri View Post

Huh, so that’s why they kept the buildings shorter than 1 WTC. Kind of a shame.
No, it's not. It's an excuse is what it is. The "reason" why towers don't surpass the height of 1WTC has absolutely nothing to do with 9/11. It has to do with air rights, zoning, and money.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2021, 6:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdurk View Post
Honestly I think this would be a beautiful building if it was literally just a square all the way up, no canti-levers or anything
One can only hope.

I for one have fingers crossed on one of the other designs winning.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2021, 8:08 AM

Are there renderings of the other designs?

Old Posted Dec 8, 2021, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
This 1,600'+ tall tower is amazing.

If this were proposed for any city other than NY, the locals would be doing backflips.

I... kind of like it. From this angle at least anyway. The cantilevers make me uneasy though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals