HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
Concourse B officially opens today. The old airport is officially done

https://www.fox13now.com/news/salt-l...ts-concourse-b
So you're saying all the old concourses are closed now? I know they originally planned to leave them open while the rest of A was built but are they closing them early now with lower flight demand? They built the bridge between the old and the new, but maybe that has already filled it's useful life

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCRes View Post
So you're saying all the old concourses are closed now? I know they originally planned to leave them open while the rest of A was built but are they closing them early now with lower flight demand? They built the bridge between the old and the new, but maybe that has already filled it's useful life
They still list C, F and G gates on arrivals for today and tomorrow, so I don't think they're totally done yet.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 5:25 PM
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCRes View Post
They did announce due to the pandemic and lower flight demand they are closing the old gates and accelerating the construction schedule and will save 300 million dollars by doing so. The bridge was pretty well built by the time the pandemic hit, I'm sure they initially intended to use it for much longer. Maybe they'll keep the old concourses open until the time comes to tear them down. Will take a few months to tear down the parking garage.

https://www.deseret.com/utah/2020/5/...-save-millions

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 6:25 PM
Eschew Obfuscation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucsbgaucho View Post
They still list C, F and G gates on arrivals for today and tomorrow, so I don't think they're totally done yet.
Nope. On the SLC Airport webpage it says:

"As of midnight, aircraft were no longer loading and unloading passengers in the former airport concourses C, F and G. All airlines serving SLC are now operating out of entirely new facilities."

https://slcairport.com/assets/news/N...-B-Opening.pdf

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeder113 View Post
Nope. On the SLC Airport webpage it says:

"As of midnight, aircraft were no longer loading and unloading passengers in the former airport concourses C, F and G. All airlines serving SLC are now operating out of entirely new facilities."

https://slcairport.com/assets/news/N...-B-Opening.pdf
As I mentioned, they still have other gates listed for flights... not sure how they're servicing them or if they'll change soon to an A or B gate.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 7:45 PM
Eschew Obfuscation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucsbgaucho View Post
As I mentioned, they still have other gates listed for flights... not sure how they're servicing them or if they'll change soon to an A or B gate.

Dunno. I'm just sharing info straight from the horse's mouth.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airhero View Post
They did announce due to the pandemic and lower flight demand they are closing the old gates and accelerating the construction schedule and will save 300 million dollars by doing so. The bridge was pretty well built by the time the pandemic hit, I'm sure they initially intended to use it for much longer. Maybe they'll keep the old concourses open until the time comes to tear them down. Will take a few months to tear down the parking garage.

https://www.deseret.com/utah/2020/5/...-save-millions
I completely understand why they made the decision to accelerate the closure of the remaining original concourses due to decreased demand as a result of Covid-19, but that temporary bridge connecting the new terminal to the old concourses has to be one of the biggest wastes of the entire project in hindsight. It was very large and very solidly built, originally intended to serve for several years, but in the end only ended up being used for one month and now it will be demolished along with the rest of the old facilities.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 4:59 AM
Exit 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
Concourse B officially opens today. The old airport is officially done

https://www.fox13now.com/news/salt-l...ts-concourse-b
I kinda wish I could've gone inside one last time.

As a kid (pre 9/11) the airport was probably my favorite place in the valley. Didn't get to fly until I was a teenager, but I was *always* excited to go there to see the planes, navigate the terminal (especially the looooooong B gates), and just enjoy the crowds.

9/11 killed that off substantially.

And now the old airport is closed forever. Guess you can never go back.

Last edited by i-215; Oct 28, 2020 at 5:28 AM.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 1:56 PM
Eschew Obfuscation

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhitektor View Post
I completely understand why they made the decision to accelerate the closure of the remaining original concourses due to decreased demand as a result of Covid-19, but that temporary bridge connecting the new terminal to the old concourses has to be one of the biggest wastes of the entire project in hindsight. It was very large and very solidly built, originally intended to serve for several years, but in the end only ended up being used for one month and now it will be demolished along with the rest of the old facilities.
That's the key word......"hindsight." Nobody anticipated a pandemic. In the end it's a pretty good trade off to save hundreds of millions of dollars.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeder113 View Post
That's the key word......"hindsight." Nobody anticipated a pandemic. In the end it's a pretty good trade off to save hundreds of millions of dollars.
Yes- it's no criticism of the decision they made, I just remember thinking while seeing that connecting bridge being constructed that it seemed to be very substantially built for a temporary structure. Even more so after it was only used for a month.

Meanwhile, UTA will be operating TRAX via a shuttle bus to a wooden station with no ticketing machines until next summer...

Last edited by arkhitektor; Oct 30, 2020 at 9:14 PM.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 9:16 PM

Ooh, ooh! I have some pictures of that temporary station!

As you can see, it's two wooden platforms built next to the very last grade crossing before the old TRAX station. One of the platforms is built for the Aux track (holding extra or broken down cars), and the other is built over the old westbound mainline track in order to access trains on the former eastbound track. That is a very clever way of getting two tracks at the station while using only the existing switches. Whoever designed the airport line tracks, they certainly knew what was coming and designed for it very well.

The catenary guys did excellent planning also:

The wires go right up to the current end-of-tracks.

A last view of the old station, the ripped-up tracks, and the demolition of the parking garage in the background:

With all that planning, you'd think they would have considered running a power cable out for a fare machine? You can see that there are TAP readers on the temp platform, where are they getting their power? I know UTA contracts out the work for supplying, maintaining, and servicing the fare machines (Spending money to collect roughly the same amount of money, causing less people to ride transit overall - Gah! Don't get me started!), so perhaps there was an agreement issue outside of UTA's control that would prevent a ticket machine at a temp location?
Maybe put a fare machine at the shuttle bus stop, so you buy your ticket before boarding the bus?
IDK, with the way things are going maybe they're counting on finishing the TRAX station ahead of schedule, and they just don't care about the temp station all that much.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 2:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedikermit View Post
A non-development/architecture nerd perspective:

Ex-wife flew to Vegas last weekend, came back, asked her what she thought of the new airport, and she said "was there a new airport?"

Sooooo
Next level observation skills. Lol.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 4:31 PM
Eschew Obfuscation

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhitektor View Post
Yes- it's no criticism of the decision they made, I just remember thinking while seeing that connecting bridge being constructed that it seemed to be very substantially built for a temporary structure. Even more so after it was only used for a month.

Meanwhile, UTA will be operating TRAX via a shuttle bus to a wooden station with no ticketing machines until next summer...
Yeah, that's weird.

Also, why is going to take until next summer to finish? Does anyone know? It seems like a long time for such a short amount of track, especially considering they've already done a significant amount of work at the permanent station up next to the new terminal. I guess I was just hoping to be able to use the new station next June when I fly out (I don't use the airport much, obviously).

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 6:35 PM

Building and qualifying new tracks for passenger service isn't usually a fast process even for very short segments. However, the main impediment to opening the new TRAX station is the old Parking Garage demolition, which must be complete before TRAX can start construction through the same general area.

The image posted by arkhitektor above should be helpful. The location of the temp station is about where the 'BIG D' letters are, and the new TRAX station is visible as a dark line in the dirt below the road bridge. Between the two locations is the old parking garage.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 1:43 AM
A.K.A. Vigo

They’ve got a good portion of the old garage demolished... it’s coming along.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 4:28 PM
The Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
They’ve got a good portion of the old garage demolished... it’s coming along.
This weather keeps up like it has been the past 9 months and we could see the demolition finish months early.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2020, 11:32 AM

Points Guy SLC Airport Photos

The second phase of the new Salt Lake City airport has opened; here’s a first look
https://thepointsguy.com/news/new-slc-airport-b-gates/
Zach Griff
Nov 19, 2020

There’s exciting news for flyers headed to or from Salt Lake City.

On Sept. 15, city officials, as well as Delta, inaugurated a portion of the new airport with the opening of the first phase of Concourse A. But only select passengers have been able to experience the new facility since mid-September. That’s because the new terminal and its 25 gates primarily serve Delta flights.

As part of the brand-new concourse, flyers have been treated to dramatic art installations, like The Canyon in the main departures hall, sun-soaked gate areas, a plethora of bathrooms, top-notch retailers and much more.

There’s even a brand-new 28,000-square-foot Delta Sky Club welcoming the carrier’s premium flyers. It boasts passenger-friendly amenities like an outdoor deck, two buffets and private workstations.

But what if you’re flying another airline?

On Oct. 27, local airport authorities opened the second phase of the new airport — Concourse B. And with the opening, all flyers passing through SLC will now pass through a new gate.

I’ve already detailed what phase one of the new SLC looks like, so now let’s take a peek at how the new B gates compare.

To start, every passenger departing from a B gate will need to clear security in the main headhouse. Then, after passing through The Canyon, you’ll need to walk to the underground tunnel connecting the A and B gates.

The walk from the security checkpoint to the tunnel entrance takes about five to seven minutes, and you’ll then need to walk the nearly 1,000-foot tunnel before getting to the B terminal.

Though the trek is long, keep your eyes peeled to the walls — there’s a colorful art installation depicting Utah’s four seasons.

Fortunately, SLC is building a more convenient underground passageway, but that won’t be ready until late 2024. Once open, you’ll be able to head to the B gates right after clearing security, saving you at least ten minutes.

Once you ascend the escalators at the end of the tunnel, take a deep breath. (At this point, I was sweating under my mask.)

And once you open your eyes, you’ll see that the B concourse is essentially a carbon copy of its older cousin. There are 21 gates, allocated as follows:

Alaska Airlines — one
American Airlines — two
Delta — seven
Frontier — one
JetBlue — one
Southwest — four
United — two
Three common-use gates allocated based on demand
As you walk east, you’ll appreciate the wide hallways.

Continue walking and you’ll approach the end of the concourse near Gates B21 and B24. These gates are primarily reserved for regional jet operator SkyWest since they afford easy access to the ramp for a hard-stand operation.

As you meander through the concourse, you’ll notice that there are bathrooms at nearly every turn. Indeed, the new SLC is proud to offer restroom facilities every 150 feet.

The bathrooms themselves are large, with plenty of stalls and sinks. Each features a different art installation as well.

All 21 gates have a ton of seating, as well as power outlets and — my personal favorite — USB-C ports. As more and more phones support faster USB-C charging (like the new iPhone 12 Pro), this is a feature I hope other airports add soon.

If you’re hungry, there are three new restaurants in the B concourse, including Gourmandise Euro Diner and Bakery, Uinta Brewing Company and Wasatch Brew Pub. Indoor dining is currently permitted in the airport, and flyers seemed to be enjoying their meals.

There’s also a selection of retailers offering conveniences like drinks and snacks, magazines and newspapers, tech gear and more. As passenger throughput increases, several additional restaurants and shops are slated to open.

Concourse B is large enough to handle current levels of demand. But, hopefully, demand will pick up we recover from the pandemic. If it does, SLC is prepared; the airport has the ability to add eight additional B gates in a second construction phase and 15 more in a third phase.

In the meantime, now that the first phase of B gates is open, construction returns to the A gates. Specifically, the airport is working to complete the demolition of the old C, D and F concourses, as well as the international terminal — all while building 22 more gates in Concourse A East.

All photos by Zach Griff/The Points Guy

Old Posted Nov 25, 2020, 11:22 PM

Wow, the new airport really looks awesome, I think it lives up to the hype.

I rarely fly but next time I do I'm excited to check it out.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2020, 11:28 PM
They all float down here

Wow. Griftology is huge!

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 3:40 PM

Somebody who flew through the airport said it was an extremely long hike to the North Concourse. People with mobility problems would have a hard time. Any plans to fix this?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West