HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted May 13, 2015, 4:22 AM

I missed the reference to "3 towers" in the original post - will be interesting to see the site plan. I assume the hotel will be the tallest, as it has to be the apartments that are being split into 2 towers.

For reference, this is the old University Square site, and it'll be interesting how close/different this new proposal is. I wouldn't be surprised to see a significant conference center component to the hotel.

I hope the design is a little scaled back, though, as University Square was really a beast of a project in that area. I also think retail is important along 7th Street (to keep the connection between College and Mill moving forward) and University. I hope the hotel entrance and garage ramps are located on one of the north-south streets.

Old Posted May 13, 2015, 4:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
I missed the reference to "3 towers" in the original post - will be interesting to see the site plan. I assume the hotel will be the tallest, as it has to be the apartments that are being split into 2 towers.

For reference, this is the old University Square site, and it'll be interesting how close/different this new proposal is. I wouldn't be surprised to see a significant conference center component to the hotel.

I hope the design is a little scaled back, though, as University Square was really a beast of a project in that area. I also think retail is important along 7th Street (to keep the connection between College and Mill moving forward) and University. I hope the hotel entrance and garage ramps are located on one of the north-south streets.
Something is not adding up for me. The project we've been discussing is "7TH STREET MIXED USE". This is on the DRC agenda under that name, the same name Wexford refers to on their web site: http://wexforddevelopments.com/locat...pe-7th-street/

However the address on the Tempe DRC is in fact a University address. You can see from the Wexford site that the lot they highlight is much smaller and doesn't touch University.

I am completely confused now! These must be two different project after all?

Last edited by PHXFlyer11; May 13, 2015 at 1:12 PM.

Old Posted May 13, 2015, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
Something is not adding up for me. The project we've been discussing is "7TH STREET MIXED USE". This is on the DRC agenda under that name, the same name Wexford refers to on their web site: http://wexforddevelopments.com/locat...pe-7th-street/

However the address on the Tempe DRC is in fact a University address. You can see from the Wexford site that the lot they highlight is much smaller and doesn't touch University.

I am completely confused now! These must be two different project after all?
Yep, two different projects! 7th Street Mixed Use (on the DRC agenda) is big square between University, 7th St, Forest, and Maple.

Tempe 7th Street is the Wexford one you link to, which is on 7th St between Myrtle and Mill (to the west of 7th Street Mixed Use). Got to love the confusion!

Old Posted May 13, 2015, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsRider View Post
Yep, two different projects! 7th Street Mixed Use (on the DRC agenda) is big square between University, 7th St, Forest, and Maple.

Tempe 7th Street is the Wexford one you link to, which is on 7th St between Myrtle and Mill (to the west of 7th Street Mixed Use). Got to love the confusion!
Thanks! Well, in this case the confusion is a good thing! Looks like the Wexford development is further off, but they do great work. So maybe we'll see four new towers on 7th! But then, I'm just probably getting greedy now...

Old Posted May 13, 2015, 3:12 PM

ASU Athletic District

I was thinking today we should be seeing the proposal for the ASU Athletic District soon. I did some brainstorming on what I thought would work, here are my thoughts. Keep in mind, this should all be designed in mixed-use with ground-level retail/amenities, offices, hotel, residences above.

I believe the center of The District should be focused at the intersection to Rio Salado and University, to ensure that an urban environment is created. All four corners are available for development as part of the district, so each would enhance each other and bring density.

There is a district advantage based on location. You are really at the heart of Spring Training facilities in Tempe and Mesa, as well as ASU Athletic Facilities as well as the Lake. This makes the location of the district very attractive and it should be marketed as such.

Athletic Facilities
  • New ASU Basketball Arena (potentially with USA Basketball, but probably wishful thinking) – SW corner of Rio and University
  • New ASU Swimming/Diving facility
  • Exclusive Membership Alumni Bar/Restaurant on lake

Amenities
  • Arizona Sports Hall of Fame
  • Cactus League Museum / MLB West HOF
  • Top Golf Driving Range
  • Sports Cutters
  • Lifetime / Upscale gym
  • Massage / Tan
  • Sports Doctors
  • Sports training (some of the best in the country are in Phoenix/tempe)
  • Yoga Studio
  • Dance School

Restaurants
  • Move the Buffalo Wild Wings
  • Majerle’s on the Lake
  • ESPN Zone (if they even have those anymore) / Hard Rock

Retail
  • Finishline / Footlocker, etc.
  • Dicks / Cabella’s (w/Urban design)

Hotel
  • Top tier hotel tower
  • Marriot/Hilton OR HardRock (probably a stretch)

Offices
  • MLB West HQ / Cactus League Office
  • SABR HQ – Society for American Baseball Research (unfortunately they just committed to downtown PHX)
  • USA Basketball Offices (that ship has probably sailed)
  • ANY sports related business HQs (Sports Authority, Dick’s, Louisville Slugger, Topps)
  • Fox Sports Arizona HQ and outdoor studio
  • HQ of The Joint (National chiropractic chain)
  • Office tower for Avnet (largest company based in Arizona)
  • Sports Incubator
  • Tech Incubator
  • Video Game developer
  • Shared work space
  • Sports Agents

Residential
  • High End Condo Tower
  • High End Apartment Tower
  • Student Athlete Housing

Just some ideas. Feel free to add/discuss. I hope the proposal considers all of these types of business/amenities in addition to just facilities.

Old Posted May 13, 2015, 5:28 PM

PHXFlyer11... Wow, impressive effort, that (can't wait to see how close you are ).

Old Posted May 14, 2015, 4:06 AM

Quote:
Cactus League Museum / MLB West HOF
Sloan Park/ Cubs’ spring-training complex is in contention for the Cactus League Museum

Quote:
ESPN Zone (if they even have those anymore) / Hard Rock
They closed five ESPN Zone (NYC, Chicago, Baltimore, D.C. and Vegas) locations in 2010 leaving only the Anaheim and Los Angeles.

Old Posted May 16, 2015, 5:12 AM

New Corner Bakery to open at Tempe Gateway
Quote:
Cushman & Wakefield of Arizona is delivering a new Corner Bakery to Tempe Gateway, 222 S. Mill Ave.

The 4,777-square-foot café/deli/bakery joins tenants that include Limelight Networks, Allstate, Waste Management, and Amazon at Tempe Gateway, which is now 99-percent occupied.

Summer Jackson of C&W’s retail group represented the landlord, Parkway Properties Inc., in the long-term lease transaction. Richard Francis of HeinzRich Companies LLC represented the tenant. Jerry Noble, Greg Mayer and Patrick Devine of C&W’s office group represent the landlord in leasing the office space at the property.

“We are very excited to announce the addition of Corner Bakery,” said Jackson, associate director at Cushman & Wakefield. “They will be an excellent amenity to the project and surrounding office complexes.”

Corner Bakery will occupy the northern end-cap of the retail space that fronts Mill Avenue. Plans call for a large patio to the north and east sides of the space. Corner Bakery offers freshly baked breads, a breakfast menu, homemade soups, pasta, salads, sandwiches as well as coffee and espresso.

Cushman & Wakefield has two additional retail spaces for lease at Tempe Gateway, 1,614 SF and 1,805 SF. Occupancy date of Corner Bakery is Oct. 1.

Old Posted May 17, 2015, 4:00 PM
A City's where I'll die

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaBass View Post
Cool, hopefully they get enough business, that end of Mill is mostly dead, maybe with the State Farm completion this area will get busy.

Old Posted May 17, 2015, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butta View Post
Cool, hopefully they get enough business, that end of Mill is mostly dead, maybe with the State Farm completion this area will get busy.
Not for long! HFL3 seems to be wrapping up and the 100 Mill towers should break ground soon. Plus, I expect to see the Hayden Mill project begin. I also almost forgot about the Marriott AC.

If it can make it a year or so things will really pick up and that will be one of the hottest areas in Tempe!

Old Posted May 19, 2015, 6:50 PM

Just flew in to town for the first time in over a year....what is that giant hideous new parking garage on the north side of the lake?!!!!! What is that going to be for? What a waste of prime land.

On a side note, Marina Heights looks great! When I left last year they had just broken ground on the first floor. And flying over Tempe looked great with all the midrise apartments.

Old Posted May 19, 2015, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksteady View Post
Just flew in to town for the first time in over a year....what is that giant hideous new parking garage on the north side of the lake?!!!!! What is that going to be for? What a waste of prime land.
Relax, it's actually going to be wrapped and be a terrific project: http://www.cpexecutive.com/tag/vela-at-town-lake

Old Posted May 19, 2015, 8:00 PM

Quote:

On a side note, Marina Heights looks great! When I left last year they had just broken ground on the first floor. And flying over Tempe looked great with all the midrise apartments.
Where have you been? Living under a rock? (no pun intended).

Old Posted May 19, 2015, 8:40 PM

Quote:

Its very obviously apartments under construction.....

Old Posted May 19, 2015, 10:22 PM

I wouldn't worry about Corner Bakery surviving. The retail component of the Gateway building has filled out quite nicely - as the article mentions, only 2 spaces remain. Additionally, Corner Bakery has a built-in market with the thousands of workers who have offices upstairs. I am sure it will become a hot lunch spot for those offices, as well as HFL if the retail there doesn't fill in.

The northern entrance to Mill will be really interesting to see in a few years once everything has settled. I'm confident enough in the Marriott AC and the One Hundred Mill projects; but, a bit skeptical on the Hayden Flour Mill project, which I think might be the most significant of them all. I hope the plaza space connecting One Hundred Mill with the lake and light rail stop at 3rd/Mill becomes an active gathering space with vendors, etc. I do hope some projects like the ones thrown around for the Mill/7th area happen and bring market rate or condos to the southern part of downtown - right now, it's kind of segmenting into a more corporate area along the lake, and a casual/college-friendly vibe toward University. It'll be great when the two begin to mix and then spread to the east and west.

Old Posted May 19, 2015, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
I do hope some projects like the ones thrown around for the Mill/7th area happen and bring market rate or condos to the southern part of downtown - right now, it's kind of segmenting into a more corporate area along the lake, and a casual/college-friendly vibe toward University. It'll be great when the two begin to mix and then spread to the east and west.
They have been keeping this very close to the vest. It looks like the DRC got a preview of the project in their study session last week, but no link to the file. It is up for review next Tuesday, so we should see the file posted any day now. I keep looking. I can't wait to see this one!

Old Posted May 19, 2015, 11:33 PM

PHXFlyer11- thanks for sharing your ideas on the Stadium District. A few scattered thoughts:

I think that no matter how hard both entities try to sell this as a cooperation between ASU and Tempe, the final product is going to be one that provides the greatest revenue for ASU in the end. Unfortunately, Tempe's land use decisions beyond downtown (see: TMP) and ASU's own "sustainable/urban" development projects (see: ASU Downtown) give me little faith that this district will serve as an expansion of the City's core and as a way for the campus to integrate itself further within the city limits.

I think the problem for me that is that I still don't quite understand the goal of this District necessarily, aside from developing land that will be attractive to tenants for the tax-breaks given to ASU. It could very well be a large, midrise, suburban-style development (i.e., ASU Research Park) filled with a variety of tenants that don't necessarily even complement each other. While the theme of amateur sports has been tossed around, I don't know that ASU can really bank on the area becoming a hotbed for such programs, and therefore, they could end up simply filling in spec office space with whoever puts in the best offer.

You mentioned how the District could serve as an important connection between downtown, the lakefront, TMP, Riverview, Papago Park, etc. And, I totally agree, which is yet another reason I think the current and planned routes for the streetcar are a miss. In my dream world, these are my key points for the District:

1. For Veterans Way and Rural Road to become the main, urban "boulevards" of the District; if designed correctly, the retail along these roads would broaden the boundaries of downtown (though Veterans Way obviously has some tricky shapes to it). The idea of a completely mixed use village across this amount of land seems unreasonable, and rather than scatter random restaurants and retail throughout, I think it would work much better to create small blocks that are all oriented toward these boulevards for their retail needs.
2. For the corner of Rural/Rio Salado to become the mass transit center that should have been built at Phoenix's Central Station. 2 streetcar lines (the currently proposed line extended through Mesa, as well as a 2nd that runs along Priest and Rural and down McDowell into the Papago Park region) and 1 BRT line (planned from Chandler Blvd. to McDowell Rd.) would converge in a mixed use tower whose ground level would become an ethnic markeplace opening up to the lake and which would become the center of ASU's international study programs. A seasonal restaurant would border the lake, where ferry services would be launched, and the upper levels would be used or transit offices and a 4-star hotel.
3. Rural Road would between Rio Salado and University would become a defining gateway to ASU, with an expanded linear park running down the length of it with large signage/monuments. The west side would be lined with 5-story live/work units targeted toward recent graduates, wrapping 2 parking structures that serve the campus and stadium/arena. On the east side, similar mixed-use midrise residential would wrap some big box retail outlets.
An office/classroom tower at the corner of Rural/University would help transition into more school-focused buildings.
4. The lakefront would be used for state-of-the-art athletic training/competition facilities in an "athlete's village" setup; Wells Fargo Arena, the baseball/softball stadiums, and Mona Plummer Aquatic Center would all be moved to the area. High-rise residential dorms would put student-athletes right next to these facilities, and would serve as living quarters for international exchanges and future multi-sport Games such as the PanAms.
5. On the south side of Rio Salado, research and medical buildings will feed into a health-and-wellness campus with a health clinic, physical trainers, public gym (e.g., LA Fitness), spa, etc.
6. A mix of residential options throughout is important so that this doesn't become a giant deadzone during the summer as students leave campus. Undergrad dorms, loft-style apartments for recent grads, live/work units for the creative class, and even smartly-planned single-family homes should all be included, as this should be an inclusive part of Tempe comfortable for people of all ages. I'd also like to see the Villas senior project at SouthBank eventually built.

Old Posted May 19, 2015, 11:34 PM

Quote:
They have been keeping this very close to the vest. It looks like the DRC got a preview of the project in their study session last week, but no link to the file. It is up for review next Tuesday, so we should see the file posted any day now. I keep looking. I can't wait to see this one!
Heh. When I type in "T," the first suggested site is the development review's meetings page.

Old Posted May 20, 2015, 3:07 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaBass View Post
Corner Bakery is great. This should be successful. There's one in Mission Valley, that is difficult to get to with the traffic pattern with the 8 and the heavy congestion of the area. Every time I've stopped in there it is packed.

Old Posted May 20, 2015, 6:24 PM

Interesting the "7S" project will be split in two phases...at least they are building the tallest tower at once. I guess the long nature of the building's footprint reminds me of 100Mill (Mill + Rio).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest