HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted May 4, 2015, 2:16 PM

Not sure if this has been made public yet? Kimpton has pulled out of Mill + Rio. The project is still going forward but supposedly with a new hotel opeartor. I hope they make an annoucement soon, Omni?

Old Posted May 4, 2015, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
Not sure if this has been made public yet? Kimpton has pulled out of Mill + Rio. The project is still going forward but supposedly with a new hotel opeartor. I hope they make an annoucement soon, Omni?
Omni would make sense. Tempe Council is voting this Thursday on final approval for the Monti's development.

Old Posted May 4, 2015, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempeAZnative View Post
Also, it looks like Hooters closed as well. Hopefully a better place can fill the space since 5th and Mill is a major area.
Wow im surprised by that, but hooters seems like a dying brand in general.

Old Posted May 4, 2015, 10:26 PM
BANNED

Their cup size has diminished among breasturants over the past several years.

Last edited by dtnphx; May 5, 2015 at 4:08 PM.

Old Posted May 5, 2015, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtnphx View Post
They're cup size has diminished among breasturants over the past several years.
*Their

Go you gotta stick the landing!

Old Posted May 5, 2015, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
That really sucks. I really hope this truly doesn't delay the project.

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 1:53 AM

There's good news and bad news...

On the upcoming DRC Agendas:

5/12

1) McClintock Station - 423 Apartments, 4 Stories
http://www.tempe.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=32796

I think this was proposed some time ago, but must have had issues, as it is back on the agenda over a year later.

5/26
- All of these have been previously discussed thanks to posting by a couple of members

Bad News:

1) Southbank Lot 1 - 273 Apartments, 5 Stories, 69ft

2) Southbank Lot 2- 272 Apartments, 6 Stories, 84ft

Good News:

3) Mixed-Use, Hotel, Retail, Restaurants, 447 apartments
3 towers with a maximum height of 240 feet!!!!

I really hope #3 Pans out! Really would give West Sixth some company in the skyline!

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 2:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
On the upcoming DRC Agendas:

5/12

1) McClintock Station - 423 Apartments, 4 Stories
http://www.tempe.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=32796

I think this was proposed some time ago, but must have had issues, as it is back on the agenda over a year later.

5/26
- All of these have been previously discussed thanks to posting by a couple of members

Bad News:

1) Southbank Lot 1 - 273 Apartments, 5 Stories, 69ft

2) Southbank Lot 2- 272 Apartments, 6 Stories, 84ft

Good News:

I really hope #3 Pans out! Really would give West Sixth some company in the skyline!
Just for reference:

W6 Tower 2 - 345 ft
W6 Tower 1 - 258 ft
HLF II - 194 ft (I have trouble believing it's this tall)
University House - 193 ft
Proposed Mill + Rio - 190 ft

Not sure the max height of Marina Heights.

Source: http://www.emporis.com/statistics/ta...6/tempe-az-usa

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 3:24 PM

I think we've talked about the 7th St Mixed Use project a couple pages ago (bounded by University, Myrtle, 7th, and Forest). This would be fantastic to see actually happen. The southbank news is, once again, very disappointing. Last time around, it was two 4-story apartment buildings that got rejected. I find it hard to believe that a 5-story and 6-story building will fare much better. Then again, they let SALT go in between HFL and Marina Heights, so who even knows at this point.

It's hard for me to get that excited about McClintock Station. Yeah, it adds good density and replaces a trailer park, but it's such a Mark Taylor suburban-style apartment complex. Ah, well, it's such an odd shaped lot that something like this was bound to happen.

And I think the reason it stalled last time was Council and community concerns about affordability and where the current residents are going to go. Perhaps they've resolved all that somehow.

Quote:
Also, I do think HFL 2 really is that tall, though it definitely looks much shorter because of the way Mill Ave elevates coming over the lake from Rio Salado Pkwy. I think the tallest in Marina Heights was supposed to be somewhere between 220 and 240, but I don't remember the exact number.

Quote:
Just for reference:

W6 Tower 2 - 345 ft
W6 Tower 1 - 258 ft
HLF II - 194 ft (I have trouble believing it's this tall)
University House - 193 ft
Proposed Mill + Rio - 190 ft

Not sure the max height of Marina Heights.

Source: http://www.emporis.com/statistics/ta...6/tempe-az-usa

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsRider View Post
I think we've talked about the 7th St Mixed Use project a couple pages ago (bounded by University, Myrtle, 7th, and Forest). This would be fantastic to see actually happen. The southbank news is, once again, very disappointing. Last time around, it was two 4-story apartment buildings that got rejected. I find it hard to believe that a 5-story and 6-story building will fare much better. Then again, they let SALT go in between HFL and Marina Heights, so who even knows at this point.

It's hard for me to get that excited about McClintock Station. Yeah, it adds good density and replaces a trailer park, but it's such a Mark Taylor suburban-style apartment complex. Ah, well, it's such an odd shaped lot that something like this was bound to happen.

And I think the reason it stalled last time was Council and community concerns about affordability and where the current residents are going to go. Perhaps they've resolved all that somehow.

Also, I do think HFL 2 really is that tall, though it definitely looks much shorter because of the way Mill Ave elevates coming over the lake from Rio Salado Pkwy. I think the tallest in Marina Heights was supposed to be somewhere between 220 and 240, but I don't remember the exact number.
Yes, I couldn't remember who was the one that actually went and took pictures of the signs. I don't think we knew the height would be 240! Although SilverFox said we'd LOVE the project. I really hope it's not phased.

I really hope Tempe sticks to their guns and doesn't allow 5/6 stories just because the TRENDEX project failed.

What's surprising is that HFL 2 is 12 stories, but really that tall, while the proposed Mill + Rio is supposed to be 15 stories and 190 feet, and UH is 193 ft but 17 stories.

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 5:23 PM

240' sounds about right given that we knew it was 400+ apartments. I am sure there are 2 towers planned (1 for the hotel and 1 for the apartments), so it'll be interesting to see what the shorter of the two tops out at.

I'm not too optimistic about the project being completed - at least in full. I am skeptical of any project with a hotel component at this point; we already know Kimpton pulled out of Rio+Mill and haven't heard a replacement named, and it just feels all too familiar to the last boom. I just don't see what is driving the demand for 4 more hotels (here, Mill+Rio, Hayden Flour Mill, University/Rural) in addition to the AC Marriott, Marriott Residence Inn, and Graduate Hotel. I'd love to see it happen, because brands like Kimpton and Omni would go a long way toward diversifying downtown's demographics and, thus, retail mix. It seems like each time Tempe is about to make the jump, reality slams on the brakes.

400+ apartments, however, I could see happening and hope it is marketed toward professionals like Hanover. That's exactly what downtown needs - height and density - in residential projects.

Lastly, I think the SouthBank proposals will be approved easily. The issue wasn't simply the height of the original buildings, but that they also had a very generic suburban design, and lacked any sort of mixed use element. The latter has already been directly addressed with the inclusion of retail in both buildings, and live/work spaces in 1. Given that there are 3 apartment projects under construction/in planning on the lake that are less than the 6 stories they are proposing (Jefferson, VELA, SALT), I can't see the justification for denying them this time. At least the added commercial space gives a little bit of hope that the entire development will engage with the lake/public.

Old Posted May 8, 2015, 2:27 PM

Looks like Rio+Salado got the final nod from the City of Tempe and is scheduled to break ground by end of year. It is now known as One Hundred Mill and love the updated rendering including rooftop lounge and pool. No hotel brand as of yet but will be 4-star boutique

Tempe approves twin towers project on former Monti's site
http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...on-former.html

Quote:
Although final preservation plans for restoration of the historic Monti’s La Casa Vieja is not part of this action, the development team is fully committed to a restoration of the Hayden House.

Last edited by ASU Diablo; May 8, 2015 at 3:51 PM.

Old Posted May 8, 2015, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airomero83 View Post
Looks like Rio+Salado got the final nod from the City of Tempe and is scheduled to break ground by end of year. It is now known as One Hundred Mill and love the updated rendering including rooftop lounge and pool. No hotel brand as of yet but will be 4-star boutique

Tempe approves twin towers project on former Monti's site
http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...on-former.html
This is going to be so awesome with AC now underway, HFL 3 nearing completion and the upcoming Hayden Flour Mill hotel/reataurant/amphitheater

Old Posted May 8, 2015, 2:58 PM

Driving into Tempe on Mill or riding in on the light rail over the lake is going to be very impressive.

Old Posted May 8, 2015, 7:16 PM

Quote:
This is going to be so awesome with AC now underway...
Tempe is getting an AC before Denver though being first is not unusual given this area's population and tourism base. For example, Denver's 1st Hotel Indigo just broke ground recently, an AC supposedly this summer.

I would have thought for a "lifestyle" brand that a Moxy Hotel might fit Tempe better but I suppose its largely six a one... and the AC was brought over from Europe earlier.

Old Posted May 10, 2015, 12:14 AM
A City's where I'll die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Wow im surprised by that, but hooters seems like a dying brand in general.
Maybe a Tilted Kilt can open there, that would be sweet.

Old Posted May 11, 2015, 5:51 AM

Per the latest City Council notes, preferred track alignment for the Mill Ave segment of the streetcar has been given. Once again - as they did for the Apache segment - they've chosen a mixed traffic model; the streetcar will operate in the northbound travel lane with buses, cars, and other vehicles.

Yes, there were some concerning consequences of using a dedicated curbside lane, such as tree removal and the elimination of east-side street parking; however, this just says to me that Mill Ave was clearly a poor choice for the northbound section of the route.

Dedicated ROW along Apache and Mill wouldn't have made the streetcar any less redundant or unnecessary, but it would at least retain potential for decent ridership as the speed and reliability of the system would outperform the alternatives (biking, walking, light rail). With mixed traffic along the entire route, I don't see why anyone would ever choose to use this for travel, aside from it being a free ride home for drunken students on Mill. Otherwise, the route covers an area that is easily accessible by light rail, bus, walking, biking, or some combination of the 4. And, all but bus have consistent and predictable travel times, making the streetcar an unnecessary risk for commuters, event-goers, etc.

Old Posted May 11, 2015, 10:21 PM

Quote:

Ware the hell is this going to go

Old Posted May 11, 2015, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Ware the hell is this going to go
Scroll back a bit, we've been discussing this one bound by University/7th St for awhile. No renderings posted quite yet, but that will change here in two weeks when it's in front of the DRC.

Also worth mentioning, this one here has been proposed since atleast 2009. It looks like the developer is asking for another extension for the 20-story building until Dec, 2016.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...93112503,d.cGU

Old Posted May 12, 2015, 12:22 AM

7th St. Mixed Use

It looks like the Study Session agenda for tomorrow night has been modified to include a presentation on this project. I think that will be the first time renderings will be shared.

http://www.tempe.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=32855

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest