HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
It's not a NIMBY issue for me. It is the totally absurd "vision" - sort of like the visions people in psycho wards sometimes have - of this grandiose project paid for by govts that have no money for the basics.

Sorry, but this one is out to lunch and it isn't coming back.
Lord, even worse. Like I said I would love to see an aquarium in Halifax, I was in the one in Shanghai and it was amazing.

Just more proof this will never happen in Halifax. The Worlds largest aquarium is the Georgia aquarium.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_Aquarium
The cost is over 250 million USD. And it uses all conventional means of electricity etc... The cost of the aquarium was over 300 million US.

This guy talks about math and showing accurate figures and how figures were botched for the old Aquarium, but he apparently thinks that he can build the worlds biggest facility, it would cost close to half a billion if not more.

I think that a small-medium sized aquarium in Halifax would be a great idea. And something that should be studied and looked at. But something this size will never happen, and anyone will half a brain can see that.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalNinja View Post
Lord, even worse. Like I said I would love to see an aquarium in Halifax, I was in the one in Shanghai and it was amazing.

Just more proof this will never happen in Halifax. The Worlds largest aquarium is the Georgia aquarium.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_Aquarium
The cost is over 250 million USD. And it uses all conventional means of electricity etc... The cost of the aquarium was over 300 million US.

This guy talks about math and showing accurate figures and how figures were botched for the old Aquarium, but he apparently thinks that he can build the worlds biggest facility, it would cost close to half a billion if not more.

I think that a small-medium sized aquarium in Halifax would be a great idea. And something that should be studied and looked at. But something this size will never happen, and anyone will half a brain can see that.
Not only that but the supposed location for this thing seems like a really poor choice. As much as I hate infrastructure being reworked in order to satisfy tourists, a project like this should really be on the Penninsula waterfront. Someone mentioned the Salter Street lot, which would be a perfect place for it if the SSB project falls through (not to jinx it). It'd be adjacent to the new Discovery Centre, Maritime Museum, and the Art Gallery a little bit further back and would tie in nicely with the Seaport developments. Shannon Park has the marine biology institute but it just isn't a very convenient location for something that's supposed to be a tourist draw.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2011, 12:20 AM

That was me who mentioned the SSB site. From my understanding the project for that site already fell through.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth