HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jul 30, 2021, 8:48 PM

Old Posted Jul 30, 2021, 9:39 PM
Fishtown & Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
Always knew it was a Furness (and it's the bank I use) but thanks - this is the first I've heard about any changes.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2021, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Awesome. So glad another Furness building is getting some attention. It’s a shame none of his highrises survived.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2021, 11:04 PM
Chris

Quote:
Looks fantastic, the new building as well.

Another plan preservation/re-use plan announced today a little bit north. The entire Northern Liberties, Fishtown, South Kensington is booming non-stop.

Paper Factory Lofts Project is Resuscitating a Historic Building on Berks Street

http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...g-berks-street

Old Posted Aug 1, 2021, 4:29 PM
Chris

Urban forest or urban boulevard? Philadelphia tries to reimagine the Parkway — again.

https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...-20210801.html

Good article from Inga. I generally agree with her points. Reducing driving lanes is a given, more cafes, more cultural amenities, and importantly (and overlooked) adding more dense residential projects on the Parkway.

Not sure why some Philadelphia officials and neighbors have resistance to this idea, yet they want the Parkway to emulate the Champs-Elysees. A bit contradictory.

Either way, I hope one day soon these endless studies will result in improvements to one of Philadelphia's premiere boulevards. The Calder Sanctuary is a great start in adding more cultural amenities.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2021, 3:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Urban forest or urban boulevard? Philadelphia tries to reimagine the Parkway — again.

Good article from Inga. I generally agree with her points. Reducing driving lanes is a given, more cafes, more cultural amenities, and importantly (and overlooked) adding more dense residential projects on the Parkway.

Not sure why some Philadelphia officials and neighbors have resistance to this idea, yet they want the Parkway to emulate the Champs-Elysees. A bit contradictory.

Either way, I hope one day soon these endless studies will result in improvements to one of Philadelphia's premiere boulevards. The Calder Sanctuary is a great start in adding more cultural amenities.
I get that removing a community asset like a ballfield and selling it to developer to build a luxury condo building isn't exactly great optics, but removing those ballfields is absolutely the right call.

All of the proposals for the parkway would represent a huge step in the right direction, but I agree with Inga, if more residential isn't added, the parkway will never feel as lively as the rest of center city.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2021, 7:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
I get that removing a community asset like a ballfield and selling it to developer to build a luxury condo building isn't exactly great optics, but removing those ballfields is absolutely the right call.

All of the proposals for the parkway would represent a huge step in the right direction, but I agree with Inga, if more residential isn't added, the parkway will never feel as lively as the rest of center city.
It would be an epic battle. Many in Fairmount consider those ballfields the beating heart of the neighborhood. Many of those same people also don't want dense towers there, nor want the area to feel more lively. Many of those same people have plentiful access to financial and legal resources. To say nothing of the terrible optics of plopping luxury towers on land that was literally used as a major protest against housing inequity.

Living there, I've long thought about this and I'm torn on it. Agreed that in the grand scheme of things, it makes sense for it to be residential, but part of the reason people choose Fairmount is that it does have some disconnect with Center City. Life agreeably slows down just a tad. I wonder if there's a way to cut the apple in half, to reconfigure the space (there's a large playground there, too, remember, as well as some unused grassy areas on the western most part of the lot) to go to one ball field while carving in space for a tower on the NE corner. Maybe sell the idea to the neighborhood by upgrading the rec space that's left over to make it really special and more worthy of it's prominent location.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2021, 1:06 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
It would be an epic battle. Many in Fairmount consider those ballfields the beating heart of the neighborhood. Many of those same people also don't want dense towers there, nor want the area to feel more lively. Many of those same people have plentiful access to financial and legal resources. To say nothing of the terrible optics of plopping luxury towers on land that was literally used as a major protest against housing inequity.

Living there, I've long thought about this and I'm torn on it. Agreed that in the grand scheme of things, it makes sense for it to be residential, but part of the reason people choose Fairmount is that it does have some disconnect with Center City. Life agreeably slows down just a tad. I wonder if there's a way to cut the apple in half, to reconfigure the space (there's a large playground there, too, remember, as well as some unused grassy areas on the western most part of the lot) to go to one ball field while carving in space for a tower on the NE corner. Maybe sell the idea to the neighborhood by upgrading the rec space that's left over to make it really special and more worthy of it's prominent location.
A level of compromise is needed. I don't advocate for developing every green space along the Parkway, but there are certainly plots that can be developed and in return upgrade other playing fields, add a dog park, or a large playground for kids, etc.

Another compromise would be limiting height. For example, I would be fine with 10-12 story buildings, if they resembled higher quality buildings in DC City Center.

But in the end I think we can all agree more residential is needed to truly enliven the Parkway. (along with restaurants, cafes, more cultural options, etc.).

Old Posted Aug 2, 2021, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
A level of compromise is needed. I don't advocate for developing every green space along the Parkway, but there are certainly plots that can be developed and in return upgrade other playing fields, add a dog park, or a large playground for kids, etc.

Another compromise would be limiting height. For example, I would be fine with 10-12 story buildings, if they resembled higher quality buildings in DC City Center.

But in the end I think we can all agree more residential is needed to truly enliven the Parkway. (along with restaurants, cafes, more cultural options, etc.).
I'm trying to imagine an important/grand boulevard in Europe lined with a soccer pitch. Everything in its right place -- and a block from the Art Museum on a major boulevard -- is not the right place for a little league field.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2021, 2:47 PM

I can't believe there is no mention of the city branch tunnel. A light rail or subway line with stations along the parkway would do more for activation than any other plan. The tunnel runs from Broad and Callowhill to 30th and Girard. There's some room for residential density with the big parking lot behind the Library and that other one across from Kite and Key. Park Towne Place is really the biggest issue with the parkway. They are undersized and terrible at street level, no cafes, retail etc. They look like Soviet housing from Ukraine haha.

I also think the oval should have a large underground parking garage with a park above. I hate parking too but it's necessary to get some people to come (with no public transit).

Old Posted Aug 2, 2021, 4:24 PM

I don't live near the ballfields on the parkway, but I drive by them all the time. Have for years. I can't recall ever seeing a baseball or softball game being played there. are the fields used? I'm sure they must be, or we wouldn't even be having this conversation. I probably just drive by at the wrong times. but how often and by how many people?

Old Posted Aug 2, 2021, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoughtcriminal View Post
I don't live near the ballfields on the parkway, but I drive by them all the time. Have for years. I can't recall ever seeing a baseball or softball game being played there. are the fields used? I'm sure they must be, or we wouldn't even be having this conversation. I probably just drive by at the wrong times. but how often and by how many people?
They’re in regular use during little league season. It’s a big neighborhood party during game days.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2021, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reparcsyks View Post
I'm trying to imagine an important/grand boulevard in Europe lined with a soccer pitch. Everything in its right place -- and a block from the Art Museum on a major boulevard -- is not the right place for a little league field.
It’s not Europe, it’s Philly and it’s just one of those funky things. Those fields are cherished by the neighborhood. They’re not going to go without a fight. Hence why a compromise might be the better way to go.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2021, 7:04 PM

Not development news, but good news nonetheless. Been a long time coming, but it certainly sounds like progress to me.

https://www.phila.gov/2021-08-02-cit...ning-phase-ii/

https://www.inquirer.com/news/philad...-20210802.html

Old Posted Aug 3, 2021, 5:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_ View Post

I can't believe there is no mention of the city branch tunnel. A light rail or subway line with stations along the parkway would do more for activation than any other plan. The tunnel runs from Broad and Callowhill to 30th and Girard. There's some room for residential density with the big parking lot behind the Library and that other one across from Kite and Key. Park Towne Place is really the biggest issue with the parkway. They are undersized and terrible at street level, no cafes, retail etc. They look like Soviet housing from Ukraine haha.

I also think the oval should have a large underground parking garage with a park above. I hate parking too but it's necessary to get some people to come (with no public transit).
Isn't there a freight train tunnel that runs under the oval? One more reason to move freight traffic to the west side of the river. ( I know, there are good reasons, but one can dream)

Old Posted Aug 3, 2021, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
Isn't there a freight train tunnel that runs under the oval? One more reason to move freight traffic to the west side of the river. ( I know, there are good reasons, but one can dream)
Actually, a pipe dream of mine is to route ALL traffic through the Art Museum tunnel, and use the High Line as a subway running from the Zoo to Washington Ave.

Running a subway down the Parkway doesn’t necessarily need to conflict with the B&O/CSX tunnel. Just start curving north when you hit the Oval and align any subway with Pennsylvania Avenue. Not only will you already have a perfectly serviceable tunnel already constructed, but you’ll also have plenty of existing ROW to work with once you’re out and running next to the CSX tracks.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2021, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post

There's gotta be another place in the neighborhood where fields could be built.

I mean it's cute you can play your softball games with the Art Museum as a backdrop but it's by no means a requirement.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2021, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
Not development news, but good news nonetheless. Been a long time coming, but it certainly sounds like progress to me.

https://www.phila.gov/2021-08-02-cit...ning-phase-ii/

https://www.inquirer.com/news/philad...-20210802.html
It is good news but sort of counterintuitive to start with the dirtiest places first.

Or I could be wrong, who knows.

I know in other neighborhoods with fewer litter issues the difference between current status and being litter free would literally be the occasional sweep. If this were implemented in the Fishtown triangle between Girard, Frankford, and York, the neighborhood would basically be spotless.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2021, 3:13 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
There's gotta be another place in the neighborhood where fields could be built.

I mean it's cute you can play your softball games with the Art Museum as a backdrop but it's by no means a requirement.
Agree. I don't know the history of the playing fields, but I assume they weren't in the original plan along the Parkway? But times have changed and some of that land should be developed. The Parkway is a beautiful stretch, but it could be America's premiere boulevard with additional development, food offerings, and cultural amenities. And the interest is certainly there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
It is good news but sort of counterintuitive to start with the dirtiest places first.

Or I could be wrong, who knows.

I know in other neighborhoods with fewer litter issues the difference between current status and being litter free would literally be the occasional sweep. If this were implemented in the Fishtown triangle between Girard, Frankford, and York, the neighborhood would basically be spotless.
Does Center City perform its own street sweeping?

Old Posted Aug 3, 2021, 3:33 PM

The ONLY way the Parkway can succeed is by running transit the entire length, preferably subway. People need to be able to get to points along it without driving or walking, and I certainly believe that there would enough ridership to justify using heavy rail rather than bus or light rail.

This is regardless of its future use. Whether it be a Boulevard or a Park, it desperately needs transit.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development