HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Apr 18, 2008, 8:07 PM
You talkin' to me?

[Halifax] 6955 Bayers Rd | ? m | 16 fl | Cancelled

I figured since we are talking about this proposal in 'development rumours', I would start a thread on it.

The rendering:

(posted by someone123)

Old Posted Apr 18, 2008, 10:15 PM

Here's the location:

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 1:41 AM

Thanks for the map. At first I thought this was the building now underway at the rear of the former Zellers store at Bayers Rd shopping center but I now see it is not. I assume that is an office structure?

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 2:55 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

It's a 121 unit apartment building. Report: http://www.halifax.ca/planning/Case00930Details.html

Previously the developer considered several options (two 8 storey buildings etc.) but it looks like this is the one they're going with, although it's not approved yet. It looks good, although I hope "prefinished metal roofing" doesn't mean bright green..

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 3:44 AM

I've alway seen Bayers Road as becoming a "high density" entrance to the peninsula. It close to a lot of shopping, easy to get out of town, and has great transit service. Of course there is downsides, parts of neighbouring blocks are low-income and crime ridden, and traffic is disasterous.

This apartment building will look better then the green field that is currently on the site. And a tall building that close to the Bi-Hi will tell drivers they're now entering Halifax.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 3:49 AM

As side note, as mentioned in the Development Rumors thread this proposal will also improve the nearby Halifax Explosion Unindentified Victims Memorial and will add some parkland to the community centre.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 4:13 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Aren't there already some brown brick highrise apartments nearby? A lot of new office space has gone up in the area recently as well.

Higher density definitely makes sense there given the easy access to bus routes and shopping. Hopefully we'll see some more projects for the Village at Bayers Rd area in the future.

There are a lot of traffic complaints in the report but then again there is also the plan to widen Bayers Rd.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 4:41 AM

Yep those are the Bayers Park Apartments. The new building in front of the Village and the extension under construction at the fomer Zellers site have some new offices. I mentioned this in the Greenway thread but a short trail next to the rail cut down to Mumford/West End/HSC would be nice for this area.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2008, 1:11 AM

Photos taken by me today:

Looking towards memorial from bus stop.

Looking at expansion at the Village

Houses on community centre connector or Romans Ave?

Close up of memorial.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2008, 1:20 PM

Bayers Road project shot down at meeting

By AMY PUGSLEY FRASER City Hall Reporter
Thu. Apr 24 - 5:06 AM

The city should never have sold off nearly a hectare of park land on Bayers Road to a private developer, a heated public meeting heard Wednesday.
Now the area is facing the possibility of a new 16-storey development in the foreground of a city recreation centre and that prospect had about 65 residents up in arms last night.

During a three-hour meeting at St. Andrew’s Centre, about 16 people took turns shooting down the development.

The building, with underground parking and access to an existing cemetery on city property next door, would share the block with two small, single-family homes.

The transition just doesn’t work, said Jacqueline de Mestral, especially when the neighbourhood is mostly two-storey homes.

"We can’t do another Fenwick Tower," she said of the highrise on Fenwick Street in the city’s south end.

"Those pictures I saw tonight blew me away," agreed Dave MacDougall of Vaughn Avenue.

"My house, 200 metres from here, looks like a little ant and I don’t like it."
Architect Dan Goodspeed, who patiently answered many questions during the meeting, said the single tower had the smallest footprint and covered only 11 per cent of the available land. That left more land to create a new .2-hectare city park and a right-of-way to the cemetery which includes a memorial to victims of the Halifax Explosion.

The park, located on the north side of the tower, didn’t impress Peter Rogers of St. Andrew’s Avenue.

"It’s a useless bit of nothing space that we don’t really need," he said.
Doug Moss, the general manager of Page Realty Management, was the lone speaker who said he welcomed the new building.

His company has spent money redeveloping the former Village at Bayers Road mall and they’re pleased that more people could be moving into the area.

"We think this is a good development to have in our area, where people can live and work in close proximity."

The land has been empty for years, he said.

"I haven’t seen any improvement on it and I’ve been around here for 20-30 years myself."

A few years ago, the land was declared "surplus" by the city when the Italian Cultural Association offered it back to them.

The city’s constant lack of interest in the land over the years has been a "travesty," said John Graywitch of St. Andrew’s Avenue, whose suggestion of city neglect continued to permeate the meeting.

"We’re not a community of nomads," asserted 13-year Chisholm Avenue resident Laurel Miller. "And once again, our community has been sold down the river."

The community has tried to get ahead and the land would have helped them create positive distractions for their kids, she said.

"Our children are important to us and now the green spaces and the playgrounds have been taken away. This building will not bring any comfort to the area."

Several times during the meeting city planner Randa Wheaton threatened to shut things down early.

She attempted to quiet down the applause so many times that people started to heckle her and mutter under their breath in her direction.
On one occasion someone suggested, jokingly, that a police officer sitting in the back of the room could come up front to be more visible.

During her presentation, Ms. Wheaton explained that the development would require a plan amendment and changes to the land use bylaw to proceed.

Ultimately, the decision on the development lies with Peninsula Community Council and they have not made any decisions yet about forwarding it to the entire 23-member regional council.

Residents attending last night’s meeting don’t have to worry that their efforts last night were in vain. Three of the four regional councillors who sit on the community council attended last night and all of them spoke out during the meeting.

In addition to the building’s height, people also had concerns about traffic, wind and shadows.
Ms. Wheaton said a recently completed traffic study was done and showed that, given the area’s existing traffic, the development would not make an impact.

However, many speakers said the impact of the cars now — at 42,000 trips per day — was bad enough already.

Irene Boutilier said it took her 10 minutes to turn right out of the driveway last week during the afternoon commute. If the new development shared that driveway, as planned, things would only get worse.

"Coming out of this centre, you sit and you wait and you wait and you wait."

The city needs to examine traffic issues before it compounds the problem, agreed Leah Maloney of Vaughn Avenue.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2008, 1:22 PM

God damn, sometimes I really hate living in such a backwards city where everyone is so anti-development. Or maybe it's just the way the media portrays it.
Surprisingly most of the comments on the article are pro-dev.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2008, 4:05 PM
You talkin' to me?

Its obvious to me that some people need to get out more. A lot more.

16 stories isn't that high after you've been to cities that have 60 story towers all over the place.

I really don't understand the mentality of these people. this would greatly improve that area as its just a big empty lot right now. When people compare it to Fenwick or say
"My house, 200 metres from here, looks like a little ant and I don’t like it." it should be pretty obvious that they have no idea what their talking about. The ant comment sounds like it was said by a 4 year old having a mild tantrum for gods sake.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2008, 4:54 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

The issue here is that people can desire growth and development while not actually wanting it next to them. Is it really surprising that neighbours are opposed to replacing what's currently open space for them with a residential development?

If you repeated this process anywhere in virtually any neighbourhood with single family dwellings you'd get a similar result, with people saying they'd prefer a community centre or whatever. That's just not on the table. The HRM cannot afford to build thousands of $20M community centres so everybody can have one next door, and to begin with in many cases the land that people want these things built on is private property.

This is why public consultation usually can't be taken very seriously. Most people want what they think is "best for them" without thought for how little sense that makes on a global level across the city. Nobody is going to say "yes, put the garbage dump next to me please", but it has to go somewhere.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2008, 6:23 PM

I suspect most modest homes look like ants from 200m away..Lol Anyways, yes this is a classic case of NIMBY, but at least not BANANA. These same people are probably in favour of development elsewhere in HRM..even downtown perhaps. Its hard to believe people can suggest the context is not there, when this proposal is next door to Bayer's Park Apartments and the Village at Bayer's Road. Perhaps the developer could look to Armoury Square and Gladstone Ridge, both of which faced early opposition, and then after working with neighbours became well received. Interestingly, both these projects incorporated single family town homes in their designs, right next to the towers!! Ants anyone??

BTW, the town homes in behind Armoury Square are taking shape and blend VERY nicely into the West/Sarah Street neighbourhood.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2008, 7:46 PM

My impression from reading some of the comments in that article is that there were a number of people who feel hard-done by because the area is home to a lot of public housing and the city has done nothing to prevent their streets from being used by drivers as shortcuts because of the failure to address traffic on major arteries. So in short they have an axe to gring against the city and this project just happened to come along to it made a convenient target for their ire.

As was said, you can't take much of it very seriously.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2008, 8:16 PM
You talkin' to me?

Wow, that rob123 guy on the CH comments is a real piece of work. Haliguy atleast will know who I'm talking about....

Old Posted Apr 24, 2008, 8:39 PM

This development should go through. Its close to the Village, offices, bus routes, park, community centre, ect. At 5:30pm for the comments on the article 25 were pro and 4-5 were con.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2008, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishblade View Post
Wow, that rob123 guy on the CH comments is a real piece of work. Haliguy atleast will know who I'm talking about....
He sure was, where do these people come from?... thats what I would like to know.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2008, 11:30 PM

I posted this earlier on the herald comments but to me this one is a no brainer. This isn't some small quiet residential neighbourhood. We're talking a tower on a major road next to a large shopping centre, adjacent to two existing residential towers. This is a logical place to allow some infill development on empty land. 16 storeys doesn't seem unreasonable in this location. Unfortunately, given the reception, it's going to be tough to get this one through community council, especially with a vote coming in the fall.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 4:03 PM
You talkin' to me?

Ok, I just have to post rob123's comments from the CH on here, as its probably the most disgusting banter I've ever seen written regarding development. He made some personal comments to other posters. Heres a couple he left...

rob123 wrote:
Coolhand, we were here first, so if you want your tall buildings then so sorry. we are going to make sure you dont get them because WE dont want them. if YOU want them then move to a bigger city. your density is not wanted here. haliguy, WISE UP!the city is just what the majority wants it to be. most of us do not see not developing a property as regressing. you can see it for whatever you want. since there are more of us then i think we will carry the day for now. you want tall buildings then move to where they are. go west young man. we the majority have spoken and you are not going to get your tall buildings. OR anything else whatsoever that WE dont think you should have or just plain dont want you to have. sorry wishblade, your attitude is a real piece of sh!t. people dont want the building next to them and they won. with your attitude anything should be built anywhere and if the neighbours dont like it then too bad. i say we should build a endering plant or put a pig farm right next to where ever or whatever you live in. when you whine then we will speak of your obvious lack of knowledge and give your opinion as much weight as you give the local residents. there are way more of us than you. we are not anti development, we are anti "develop every square inch at any cost" so sorry again, we are running the show and all the developers are done for. we like it this way and if you dont you can move to bigger places, because we arent going to let you rape the city.

and...

rob123 wrote:
HFXAnon, sorry "dude" but we are most definitely not in the minority. the developers can look all they want towards the younger generation but we the older are the ones who are running the show. as for facts you might want to check your own. hear that? its the sound of a whiny little "younger generation" who didnt get its way. there they go stamping their feet and screaming themselves blue in the face because they didnt get their new building. thanks anyway but i will stay right where i am. why should i have to change for you or anyone else? i like running the show. a fact that seems to p!ss you off to no end. i am not anti development and your saying it doesnt make it so. it appears that there are a great many things you dont understand. no surprise there. i will type slower so you can follow along. i do not want a tall building beside me. i do not want to live in the shadow of a tall building. if you think i and others are only 4% of the population then i want some of whatever you are on. it seems that where ever someone tries to build a tall building that many come out to protest. so i would say that makes far more than your fabled 4%. talk about checking your facts. one last thing, we ARE running the show. we killed the games because WE knew it was a bottomless pit for tax dollars. still hurting over that one arent we? AND we are going to do our very best to kill any tall buildings where ever they are on the peninsula. we are everywhere. we are voters and we outnumber you. the politicians know this. they know we might be the swing vote in their getting re elected so we win the day. we wont win every battle but we will win the war. my bmi is 25.7, my blood sugar is 4.79, my cholesterol ratio is 3.42. i dont smoke ,etc,etc. based on the family average i can look forward to at least 45 years or more of RUNNING THE SHOW. i promise to you that we are going to look forward to keeping things the same for at least that long. by then your 20 years will be 65 or so. maybe then we will hand over the reigns but until then you might as well enjoy the ride.

rob123 wrote:
HFXAnon, we ARE running the show. there are way more than 4% of us. we will kill ANY development we dont approve of for at least the next 40 or 50 years. see you in your 60's or 70's. we like it small and we dont care what you want. enjoy the ride but i suspect you wont

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth