HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Mar 10, 2008, 7:08 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifax Hillbilly View Post
What about the Lamborghini?

Seriously though I think this project is pretty ugly and hope it doesn't get built. Yes the property is an ugly empty lot but I'd rather wait a couple of years and have a decent proposal.
No, no Lamborghini either, although I recently toured a dealership in Montreal.

All kidding aside, I agree with your comments as well. With the exception of the penthouse terrace (opinions can vary), the project gets nothing more than an "ugh" from me. Very ugly. However, I expect it will be built.

I would change the thread title from "pro?" to "sales," but I don't know how - there doesn't seem to be an option in the general editing tools for my original post.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2008, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdm View Post
About time someone stated that
Well the way I look at it is with gas prices moving up and boomers retiring the tide is turning and urban living will be back in a big way. I still think we're only seeing the tip of the iceberg in terms of infill proposals on the peninsula and hopefully as the market gets stronger we will start to see more quality proposals.

I also think that the core of Halifax has been decaying for so long that there really is no quick fix. We're looking at probably a decade or maybe much longer to start to bring back the downtown and surrounding neighbourhoods to anything approaching their former populations. Why rush in junk proposals? Regardless it will be a very long recovery for the downtown and one crappy project won't change that fact, but one crappy project will be there thirty years from now.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2008, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifax Hillbilly View Post
Well the way I look at it is with gas prices moving up and boomers retiring the tide is turning and urban living will be back in a big way. I still think we're only seeing the tip of the iceberg in terms of infill proposals on the peninsula and hopefully as the market gets stronger we will start to see more quality proposals.

I also think that the core of Halifax has been decaying for so long that there really is no quick fix. We're looking at probably a decade or maybe much longer to start to bring back the downtown and surrounding neighbourhoods to anything approaching their former populations. Why rush in junk proposals? Regardless it will be a very long recovery for the downtown and one crappy project won't change that fact, but one crappy project will be there thirty years from now.
Agreed, this is not worthy of the site and should be cancelled and redesigned and incorporate more properties and increase the height.

Problem i am seeing is the economy ie lending vendors are short terming their money and will have a significant impact on funding for developments. We are seeing projects in Ontairo starting to fail due to lending rates and we expect to see this problem grow in the near term.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2008, 9:38 PM

What do they mean by "professional center"? The only commercial space seems to be at grade.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2008, 10:57 PM

Frankly guys,I think it will be one of the most beautiful buildings in Halifax.A landmark with character.I can't wait until I see it built

Old Posted Mar 11, 2008, 11:12 PM

Congratulations for the architect for such innovative design that shows a lot of creativity.

Last edited by FRANKEE; Mar 12, 2008 at 2:18 PM.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2008, 1:44 AM
Salty Town

If it could morph into a Founders Corner it wouldn't be too bad. As long as it isn't as cheap as the thing across the street it will be an improvement.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2008, 2:21 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I understand the position of those who would like to wait for something better, but this lot has sat empty for something like 40 years. The last proposal for the site was taller (also really ugly) and as far as I know ended up being a non-starter as a result, since it was thought to "compete" with the nearby armoury.

I'd prefer a nicer design but I don't have a problem with the scale of the building.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2008, 3:17 AM

I've been plagued lately by a question that one of my professors asked us in class. Would u rather see the urban fabric repaired, get the population back up, have solid non broken street frontages, get rid of the parking lots through lots of smaller mediocre buildings and hope that they only last a maybe 2-3 decades, or do u want to hold out on ever single parking lot, empty lot, abandoned building, ugly building for the absolute best building possible?

I know my articulation of the question is not nearly as elegant as his but it's a very interesting point. And I think that its probably a bit of both. Certain opportunity sites should maybe be preserved for the best of the best, but I think sites like this, which aren't in terribly important locations, should maybe just be developed with whatever comes along as long as it respects the area, and has some good underlying principles. Such as ground floor retail, or apartments/townhouses.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2008, 11:52 PM

I am astonished by the size of the penthouse & its terrace.It will get sunshine all daylong & Perfect for entertainement.If I had the money,I would not hesitate to buy it

Old Posted Mar 13, 2008, 12:13 AM

To weigh in again, agree with other people posting that the scale etc is in sympathy with the other buildings around it and in context to the neighbourhood. Do not agree that it is an insignificant site. It is in full view of the North Common, and across the street from a national historic site. Not sure that there are too many other places where such a combination exists. I think most posting here are also enthusiastic that there is a large terrace for the penthouse suite, which is not something that we see a lot of here. Having said all that, I will ask again. Does anybody think that this was actually designed by an architect? Not a technologist, not a builder, but an architect? I suspect that it isn't. The renderings and the scale model appear amateurish at best, and I too think that it is an 'ugly' building as proposed. Do I prefer more building to empty lots? absolutely. do I want to encourage others through debate in places like this to step up and create things that are practical and nice looking that we can all be proud of? as neighbours, citizens, residents, owners and developers we should all be engaged in the debate, absolutely. The one thing that makes me sad about this city is that there is no culture here of caring, of creating beauty in it's own right.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2008, 11:51 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Bow View Post
What do they mean by "professional center"? The only commercial space seems to be at grade.
I'm not sure either as there is limited space on that lot. I could see a dentist's office there or a small clinic or something, maybe.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2008, 1:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commoner View Post
To weigh in again, agree with other people posting that the scale etc is in sympathy with the other buildings around it and in context to the neighbourhood. Do not agree that it is an insignificant site. It is in full view of the North Common, and across the street from a national historic site. Not sure that there are too many other places where such a combination exists. I think most posting here are also enthusiastic that there is a large terrace for the penthouse suite, which is not something that we see a lot of here. Having said all that, I will ask again. Does anybody think that this was actually designed by an architect? Not a technologist, not a builder, but an architect? I suspect that it isn't. The renderings and the scale model appear amateurish at best, and I too think that it is an 'ugly' building as proposed. Do I prefer more building to empty lots? absolutely. do I want to encourage others through debate in places like this to step up and create things that are practical and nice looking that we can all be proud of? as neighbours, citizens, residents, owners and developers we should all be engaged in the debate, absolutely. The one thing that makes me sad about this city is that there is no culture here of caring, of creating beauty in it's own right.
I completely agree. I think the scale of the building is fine for the area, but the quality of this rendering is horrible. If they aren't going to even put a mediocre amount of effort into a building why should they be allowed to build it? I'm not saying we hold out for masterpieces in every site but there has to be some standards.

The problem is this is probably an as of right development and will have to be approved if it meets the zoning. Hopefully the condos don't sell and this proposal doesn't get built.

Old Posted May 15, 2008, 3:25 AM

Who knows about this company?

I tried to find out some background information of this Armoury Villa's home company. But it seems there is only information from Solid Homes Construction Ltd.'s own website.

Has anybody ever heard of this company?

Last edited by pingfanren_89; May 15, 2008 at 3:48 AM.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 8:14 PM
Closed account

Excavation has started.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2008, 11:31 PM

I was looking at he hole they are digging today. Sucks for those people living nextdoor in the burgundy house on Agricola. They are losing the entire backyard ..looks like this development is an L-shape that will wrap around that house.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2008, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrynorthend View Post
I was looking at he hole they are digging today. Sucks for those people living nextdoor in the burgundy house on Agricola. They are losing the entire backyard ..looks like this development is an L-shape that will wrap around that house.
That reminds me of what happened at 5800 South. The poor guy lost all of his yard and ended up selling his house.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2008, 3:44 AM

Anyone have any updates on this proposal?

Old Posted Aug 18, 2008, 6:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
That reminds me of what happened at 5800 South. The poor guy lost all of his yard and ended up selling his house.
I know the house on South Street. It's still for sale and has been for sometime now (I saw it on MLS again tonight). It's being offered for pratically nothing compared to what property in the southend normally goes for. It's a real shame. That project did that property owner a world of hurt.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2008, 3:27 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Here is the construction site:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth