HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Oct 26, 2007, 2:04 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

[Halifax] Life Sciences Research Centre | 20 m | 5 fl | Completed

This is a new lab building for Dalhousie University that will be built at the corner of College and Summer Street:

Image from Dal Facilities Management (http://fm.dal.ca/).

Old Posted Mar 14, 2008, 6:08 PM

Does anyone know what's going on with this project?

Old Posted Mar 14, 2008, 6:14 PM

Hope they build a parking garage or something as the parking for both St Mary's and Dal is growing, and this project will take a significant porition away.

Like the design, good looking building.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2008, 7:31 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

If I remember correctly they've secured the funding they need and construction is going to go ahead soon.. maybe in the next few months?

Old Posted Jun 19, 2008, 11:42 AM

The area has been fenced off; for the north end of the parking lot (per the above rendering). Construction? trailers are on site. JET

Old Posted Jun 19, 2008, 3:21 PM

Awesome news!

Old Posted Jun 20, 2008, 10:33 PM
we built this city

Excellent news. I like this project. Even if it isn't tall, it will likely be important to the sort of "healthcare campus" of that area and Halifax's competitiveness. It also creates density, eliminating the large view across the parking lot.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2008, 11:23 PM

Great news! I've been waiting for this one for a while.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2008, 3:47 AM

This is great! This area is growing nicely(Trillium, 5800 South)

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 11:46 AM

A back hoe is tearing up the parking lot today. JET

Old Posted Jul 7, 2008, 1:15 PM

Heard a rumour the other day that this project has been expanded to include a second building. Apparently the Biosciences building on the waterfront is being shut down (don't know about demolition- but good news for Queens Landing??) and the facilities will be moving to the (second) new building. The second building will be built adjacent to the first on the southern end of the parking lot and will be connected by a glass atrium. Haven't seen any renderings or anything formal, but these rumours have been floating around the Tupper Building (next door) for a few weeks.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2008, 3:01 PM

That sounds interesting. I like the idea of a nice atrium. But I thought the building down on the waterfront was just offices. Someone once told me that even though it says bio-something on the building it was just a place for fledgling business to get started?

Old Posted Jul 8, 2008, 4:01 PM

Yeah, as far as I know, its a facility to allow small bio-tech businesses to get up and running so it would include both lab space and office space. There seems to be a push on to develop more 'translational research' at Dalhousie (that is research that can be patented and more directly applied to clinical use) and moving this building closer to the university may facilitate this sort of direction.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2008, 6:14 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Yes, the new project includes incubator space and I believe that's mostly what the Bioscience building has (I've heard that was formerly the DFO or something?).

I'd love to see the Bioscience building demolished and that whole area redeveloped.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2008, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post

I'd love to see the Bioscience building demolished and that whole area redeveloped.
That is part of the Queens Landing plan..i wish some movement would occur with this.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2008, 7:41 PM

Site prep is continuing on this building. They were tearing up asphalt earlier this week and they had some concrete peices there.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2008, 12:26 AM

In the Opinions section today:
Quote:
Trees had to go

Donna Miller’s letter ("Trees to the slaughter," Sept. 8), was highly inaccurate and in need of clarification.

Three trees on the plot of land that will be the home to the Life Sciences Research Institute (LSRI) had to be removed recently. At a public meeting, I stated at least one tree would have to come down and that we would make every effort to keep the other two in question. I did not, as Ms. Miller suggests, assure "the trees would be spared."

Unfortunately, the final layout of the building had these two trees (one of which was in very poor health) in the entrance to the building. Even if the trees had somehow remained, the roots would have been damaged and the trees would have suffered as a result. It was certainly not, as Ms. Miller suggests, a "plan in place from the beginning."

Dalhousie is committed to making the area bordering the LSRI site a public green space. This will include new trees and other landscaping features. We have consulted with landscape artists and arborists to ensure the area is an attractive, welcoming space that will improve greatly on the parking lot that stood in the space before.

This important building will be home to the Brain Repair Centre, which is dedicated to finding treatments for conditions such as Parkinson’s disease, Alzheimer’s disease and spinal cord injury and will provide open-concept research and incubator space for the Halifax’s growing life sciences and biotechnology centres. It will be a building we can all be proud of.

Jeff Lamb, Assistant Vice President, Facilities Management, Dalhousie University

Old Posted Nov 11, 2008, 10:25 PM

Updated pic from today

Old Posted Dec 22, 2008, 7:56 PM

Crane's up. JET

Old Posted Dec 22, 2008, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
Crane's up.
Sweet!.....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth