HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siriusb View Post
For now, the left is gone.
Do you know this officially, or assumption? I hope you’re right, it’s such a bad intersection now, they’d be creating a nightmare.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 11:39 PM

I don't have a source for this but apparently the Tesla Supercharger will be going in (eventually) on Poplar Island, next to all the tourist shops.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2020, 2:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGK View Post
Do you know this officially, or assumption? I hope you’re right, it’s such a bad intersection now, they’d be creating a nightmare.
Here is the article that appeared in the paper just recently.
After you read this, they have changed it again and removed the left turn lane all together and put in a straight arrow and a no-left turn sign on the median poll. If this is temporary, and they are just negotiating a deal, the best solution I hope they come to is to remove the median and put in a left turn lane. Let logic prevail.

The Guardian

City of Charlottetown says UPEI must make changes to intersection before new access road opens

CHARLOTTETOWN, P.E.I. — The new access road to and from UPEI in Charlottetown is expected to open this month but not before some minor modifications are made to the intersection at Enman Crescent South and University Avenue.
At a meeting of Charlottetown council’s standing committee on public works recently, Scott Adams, manager of the public works department, said an inspection of the intersection found some issues that need to be addressed before the city can sign off on allowing the intersection to open.

Last winter, UPEI approached the city about a project involving a new access road that comes out at Enman Crescent South and University Avenue. The university was responsible for hiring its own engineering consultant and contractor and paying not only for the access road but changes to the intersection.

The city recently conducted an inspection of the changes that have occurred at the intersection.

Adams said modifications are required with the lane markings at the intersection that apply to traffic heading from the Charlottetown Mall into the main part of the city.

There are three lanes of traffic that lead into the intersection at Enman Crescent South and University Avenue. Right now, the inside lane is marked for left-turning traffic (into the new access road) and straight moving traffic, a centre-through lane while the inside lane is marked as right-in to Enman Crescent South (which leads to Charlottetown Rural High School).

That was not what the original construction drawings showed and not what the city would like at that location,’’ Adams said.

The public works department wants those three lanes marked as follows: a dedicated left-turn lane into UPEI, a centre-through lane in the middle lane and a through/right-turn lane.

Adams said that way, traffic in the outside lane isn’t queing on University Avenue behind left-turning traffic and there are still two through lanes to keep traffic moving.

“I think it was just a bit of an oversight in what happened,’’ he said. “I’m not quite sure where the issue arose, but UPEI is looking into it and it will be rectified as soon as they can.’’

When contacted by The Guardian last Thursday, a spokeswoman with the university would only say they are working with the city to rectify any issues.

Adams said once the lane markings are adjusted, the city will make alterations to the signal lights, adding left-turning arrows on the UPEI access road and for traffic turning left into the university off University Avenue.

As to how long it will take to make the changes, Adams said it’s all weather dependent and when UPEI’s contractor can do it.

“They’re working on that right now.’’
"

Old Posted Nov 11, 2020, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Here is the article that appeared in the paper just recently.
After you read this, they have changed it again and removed the left turn lane all together and put in a straight arrow and a no-left turn sign on the median poll. If this is temporary, and they are just negotiating a deal, the best solution I hope they come to is to remove the median and put in a left turn lane. Let logic prevail.
My fear is that the sign is temporary, which is why I asked if you had heard officially that the idea of a left turn was dead. There’s orange lane markings painted out showing how the lanes will shift over. It’s such a terrible idea.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2020, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGK View Post
My fear is that the sign is temporary, which is why I asked if you had heard officially that the idea of a left turn was dead. There’s orange lane markings painted out showing how the lanes will shift over. It’s such a terrible idea.
Putting the straight arrow and the sign in, as they said it would be up to the upei crews to correct it. I think this is the correction. What happens after this, who knows. It should be the removal of the median if they want their left turn.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2020, 9:47 PM

Proposed 300-unit Charlottetown housing development passes 1st reading

CBC NEWS PEI

A housing development that could bring more than 300 units to a vacant property between the Charlottetown Mall and Mount Edward Road is a step closer to breaking ground......

MORE HERE > https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/princ...ov-9-1.5796197

Old Posted Nov 11, 2020, 9:55 PM

UPEI Residence and Multi-Function

They were working for part of the day putting the steel in place.
The 5 storey south building will soon be started.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2020, 3:13 PM

192 Sherwood Rd

More steel has been installed at the shop. The warehouse can be seen in behind the shop with its steel in place. Brick is
being installed on the exterior of the office. Nice to see this as this is more jobs for the area!

Old Posted Nov 14, 2020, 3:21 PM

Quote:
192 Sherwood Rd

More steel has been installed at the shop. The warehouse can be seen in behind the shop with its steel in place. Brick is
being installed on the exterior of the office. Nice to see this as this is more jobs for the area!
The land in the foreground in the previous picture is an empty lot between this development and HJV on the corner. Development has been approved for this empty lot. Not sure what that development is yet.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2020, 3:42 PM

80 Grafton St

This building at 80 Grafton St. is complete and is accepting tenants. The bottom
3 floors are for businesses and the top two are apartments. I think they missed the ball on this development. The city should have
considered asking the developer to add another three or four or more floors as this would allow more people living in the downtown
as the 500 block is a hard place to build anything new.

Anyone feel they should have moved to permit a higher format to achieve more people living in the downtown?

Old Posted Nov 15, 2020, 1:05 AM

Quote:
80 Grafton St

Anyone feel they should have moved to permit a higher format to achieve more people living in the downtown?

I’m all for higher density. In the case of this building, I wish the city asked for all the air handling units to be installed inside a penthouse...the view from Queen Street is terrible, it’s hard to appreciate the nice looking building, the mechanical equipment stands out like a sore thumb...ugly as hell.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2020, 4:16 AM

Quote:
80 Grafton St

This building at 80 Grafton St. is complete and is accepting tenants. The bottom
3 floors are for businesses and the top two are apartments. I think they missed the ball on this development. The city should have
considered asking the developer to add another three or four or more floors as this would allow more people living in the downtown
as the 500 block is a hard place to build anything new.

Should the City consider a bylaw that stipulates any new developments in the downtown core have to be over a certain height? I feel like a lot of citizens wouldn’t like that, but at the same time, the city has to grow, and the only way to do so is increase density.

That being said there is a ton of properties that were poorly built that could be redeveloped with increased density. The first one being the DVA building. They could have made a 6 storey building with room for its own parking garage on site but unfortunately they did not, so now Charlottetown is stuck with that building.

The second is the provincially owned Polyclinic. You could redevelop that property with Lawton’s being on the corner of Prince and Grafton, make the whole building 6 storeys or something, and then behind and under the building have another city parking garage.

The 3rd and 4th are the Invesco building and the federal government building across the street from it. They could have made an 8 storey building out of that federal building. I’ll give Invesco a pass since they grew so fast they had to expand. One last one is the Atlantic Technology Centre. It has such a large footprint for a 4 storey building.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2020, 4:23 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
Should the City consider a bylaw that stipulates any new developments in the downtown core have to be over a certain height? I feel like a lot of citizens wouldn’t like that, but at the same time, the city has to grow, and the only way to do so is increase density.
Any sort of regulation like this would be a strain on developers and tie your hands when it comes time for sensible infill and more cost-effective developments.

The scale of 80 Grafton seems fine for the location and surrounding buildings.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2020, 11:56 PM

I know I've been on about this before, but it's important!
The entire capital region desperately needs a modern and forward thinking master plan. Seeing more single family sprawl, condo sprawl, and commercial sprawl popping up all over the region fills me with dread. Our city is growing so fast and we have the opportunity to grow it right! Ten or twenty more years of development without changing our city and town plans is just going to create a city like Moncton. (And we don't want to end up like Moncton.) University Ave between the 500 and the mall could be redeveloped into a long walkable mixed use street. The mall and adjacent power centres (as well as the Stratford power centre) could be "repaired" to be more like urban cores with mixed use three story buildings. Parkades would allow for suburban shoppers to park. All new development would have to be built smarter. A new form based code would be established so that we can shape the city to our liking. Cycling routes must be built to take cars off the road. Higher destiny means bus services can be more frequent and go to more places.
Don't think for a second that all of these condos are doing anything good for the city from a design stand point. Only the downtown ones are. Every other condo or apartment building constructed is being done so in such a haphazard fashion that they create completely unwalkable areas. In many cases there are not even sidewalks at all! Even if there are sidewalks the buildings are massively offset from the street to make way for parking, hurting density and making walking less enjoyable. (Underground parking people!!)
Not every building needs to be mixed use but many do. If you need to drive your car to buy some milk or get some stamps, your doing it wrong.
And to the suburbs that allready exist, if we can't convince the public to infill, let's at least put in biking paths and trees! Loads of new suburbs (especially in Stratford) seem to lack trees. People just don't want to block views of their generic-north-american style catalog builders McMansions...

Charlottetown, Stratford, and Cornwall must come together and hire a top quality planning firm (preferably a Dutch one) to draw up a brand new plan for the entire region. Where you are allowed to build and what you are allowed to build there. Add to this form based codes, plans for biking and public transport, and a focus on trees. Maybe more bylaws to promote regional architecture style.

Increasing density in a friendly Dutch way, reducing car dependency, making the city more beautiful and unique. Is there any one else on here that is this passionate about radical change for the city? I feel like forming a group is nessasry to get the three municipalities to bring in radical new ideas.

Again, let's not be like Moncton.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2020, 5:39 PM

Prepare to be accused of communism if you actually push this. Story of my life.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2020, 7:00 PM

90 units planned for former Holland College site in Summerside

Nice to see the old HC site developed. Now where are they going to work?
My son lives in Summerside and said that he can't get over the commercial development in Charlottetown. In fact, he works for a Charlottetown company that services Summerside and Charlottetown. His work is 85% in Charlottetown. In saying that, a post I saw on the facebook page had it right. Summerside is going about this wrong. Without new commercial development, who are they going to get to live in the apartments in Summerside. With 8-10 new businesses presently building in the north end of Charlottetown, and the list grows, Summerside will be left behind as the population growth is stagnant and so is commercial development. This apartment will be ok for low income but not everyone wants to stay that way.

MORE HERE > https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/princ...uftjOyDP3hFjGY

Last edited by Siriusb; Nov 16, 2020 at 7:27 PM.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2020, 7:20 PM

24 Water St

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 3:44 PM

The Plaza REIT page for Buchanan Drive Plaza now lists a store called The Local as being what’s going to be next to Maurices. Anybody know what The Local is?

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
The Plaza REIT page for Buchanan Drive Plaza now lists a store called The Local as being what’s going to be next to Maurices. Anybody know what The Local is?
No idea what it is, however this empty section has been split into 2 storefronts. So you should see 3a, 3b and 3c in the future.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 7:40 PM

The Dublin is opening a restraunt there I belive.Also habitat for humanity is moving into the former sears building. And there is a 4 unit townhouse foundation in on dorchester st. I also think that in a previous post I mentioned that a physio is going in behind petro tims in stratford where the elevator shaft is..Kensington rd apartments have the other two elevator shafts up..90 units 3 30s

Last edited by Ryan23; Nov 18, 2020 at 7:50 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces