HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 2:28 AM

are they tearing down Fulton Market Cold Storage or rehabbing it? If they are tearing it down is anything going in it's place?

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 2:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post

See also, the thawing photos from perkins + will:

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 3:08 AM
BANNED

um, wow! that's fucking awesome!

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 3:09 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc5680 View Post
See also, the thawing photos from perkins + will:

Thanks for that link. Wonder the last time it was thawed out?

Video Link

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 3:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashingLights View Post
What? Roscoe is probably one of the most gentrified neighborhood around.
Sure, I'm only suggesting that for all the change you see in Wicker Park, Bucktown, Uptown, Andersonville, etc, there is not very much that's changed in Roscoe Village. The commerical strip has some nice places but comparatively little improvement over the last four years, and some rather puzzling, persistent duds. Also, few major multifamily construction projects that draw attention to the area. Also, how odd is it that it took until 2011 before Riverview Plaza was finally dragged out of the 1970s. Anyway, I guess it's nice that there also exists this low-profile, well-located, gentrified residential neighborhood in contrast to the other flavors of neighborhoods along busy el lines.

-------------------------------

What do people make of this -- is Target really just retrofitting itself into that bland, smallish, existing structure? Presumably that means it will be a City Target? Normally big-box stores have formulaic requirements very unsuited to old buildings, and just demolish sites and start over -- that's what I was assuming would happen all along. I was expecting something more like what Whole Foods did across the street (more of a long-term plan), rather than this Walmart Express / Trader Joe's -ish style approach. Maybe they think the retailing landscape in West Lakeview might look different in a decade and want the flexibility to rebuild then.

http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.co...-for-new-store
Target buys Lakeview property for new store
By: Micah Maidenberg February 11, 2013

Target Corp. has purchased an empty two-story building near a busy intersection in Lakeview, where it plans to build a new store.

A spokeswoman for the Minneapolis-based retailer confirmed in an email that Target bought the property at 3201 N. Ashland Ave., just north of the Ashland, Belmont and Lincoln avenues intersection, declining to disclose a price.

Target plans to open a store in the building, according to Erin Duffy, director of community outreach in Ald. Tom Tunney's (44th) office, who represents the area in the City Council.

The retailer will likely need to amend an existing zoning plan that covers the building, Ms. Duffy said, requiring a community review process and approval from the Plan Commission and then the City Council.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 4:25 AM

I wish that Lakeview property retained the residential component above. It was a perfect TOD opportunity near a brownline stop and the ashland bus route.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 3:44 PM

A couple days old, but I don't recall seeing this on here.

Old Prentice loses again in landmark vote

http://my.chicagotribune.com/#sectio.../p2p-74337017/

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 3:49 PM

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Almost looks like it's crying.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 6:04 PM

Almost all of Roscoe St. was rebuilt in the 90's and 2000's so there's little reason to build new stuff. Plus I think everything else was downzoned so it's hard to see any large stuff being built there. If you look on the side streets every other old house is being teared down so a huge yuppies mansion can be built in its place for rich families. Rich families don't want studio and 1 bedroom apartments built in that area.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronvonellis View Post
Almost all of Roscoe St. was rebuilt in the 90's and 2000's so there's little reason to build new stuff. Plus I think everything else was downzoned so it's hard to see any large stuff being built there. If you look on the side streets every other old house is being teared down so a huge yuppies mansion can be built in its place for rich families. Rich families don't want studio and 1 bedroom apartments built in that area.
This sounds about right.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2013, 1:20 AM
The City

I wanted to comment on the JGMA Casa Nayarit project from the previous page. What a great design! Also, I hope to see this become the new trend in creating affordable housing in the city and region--by private non for profits instead of massive quasi govt authorities like the CHA. These smaller companies have to actually remain solvent and thus show some measure of fiscal discipline, more so than an entity like the CHA ever would. Good to see projects like this in the pipeline!!

Old Posted Feb 13, 2013, 4:25 AM

Yeah, I'm crushing pretty hard on JGMA. Love their style and the fact that a lot of their buildings are going up outside of the normal hotbeds of development.

That being said, I'd LOVE to see what they'd do with a highrise commission. Someone with deep pockets: make it happen!

Old Posted Feb 13, 2013, 3:46 PM
The City

I am also absolutely enamored of the Fulton Cold storage project. While I realize that the amount of demand has yet to be determined, creation of more office space outside of the downtown core can only be good for the city. It is also a good way to preserve older industrial building stock. This project and the Green Exchange come to mind. We will see how the new office tower in Hyde Park fares

Old Posted Feb 13, 2013, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
I am also absolutely enamored of the Fulton Cold storage project. While I realize that the amount of demand has yet to be determined, creation of more office space outside of the downtown core can only be good for the city. It is also a good way to preserve older industrial building stock. This project and the Green Exchange come to mind. We will see how the new office tower in Hyde Park fares
Completely agree. I'd like to see more office space pop up around traditional commercial areas. Small boutique architecture firms, advertising agencies, tech start-ups etc come to mind. It helps with more daytime demands for retail and restaurants.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2013, 4:47 PM

Who is the developer for the Fulton Cold Storage redevelopment? Can you send them to Detroit? We have like a hundred of those.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2013, 9:14 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Construction starts for Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center

February 12, 2013 | Staff Writer | Print Article | Email this Article

The design and construction team of SmithGroupJJR, KJWW Engineering, Thornton Tomasetti and Turner Construction broke ground on a new, $109 million outpatient facility for Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center in Chicago. SmithGroupJJR is the designer of the three-story center for Advanced Care.

To be constructed adjacent to Advocate Illinois Masonic’s existing hospital, the project – the first of a planned two-phase building program – will add 156,000 square feet dedicated to cancer care, digestive health and ambulatory surgery services. Completion is targeted for early 2015.

http://www.rejournals.com/2013/02/12...edical-center/

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 1:57 AM

Really nice design. And built on a surface lot too.

Reminds me of University of Michigan's Biomedical research building constructed in '03

http://www.hargreaves.com/projects/Academic/UMichBio/

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 2:19 PM
BANNED

I live across the street and am quite stoked about this one. Nice curves, plus they're reserving a good portion of the north side of that massive lot for a park

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 11:02 PM

850 north lake shore drive

I have notice a red skip on the north side of the building at 850 north lakeshore drive. Does anyone know what is happening there???

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development