HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Oct 21, 2022, 5:30 AM
Hammer'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
How has it been feeling for Pascale? She's a colleague and friend, and so I'm supportive of her but also think she would be great. Just curious what the vibe you're feeling for who might win.
She'd be my next choice, I liked her in the debate as well. tbh the only 2 people I absolutely would not vote for are Olfield for his "I think the RHVP could use more lanes" and Johnstone for her bad history as a trustee. All the rest of the candidates more or less aligned with my concerns. Seems like ward 4 is pretty much anyone's race to win since theres so many in the running.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Oct 21, 2022, 11:13 AM

All mayoral candidates support the RHVP widening by the way, and that issue will likely become larger this term as the EA for it is underway. I wouldn’t be surprised if the city is trolling for funding for it from upper level governments in 2-3 years.

Last edited by Innsertnamehere; Oct 21, 2022 at 2:29 PM.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2022, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHonestMaple View Post
Seems to me that Furlan signs are 10:1 to Nann's just driving around. And her performance at the debate was quite poor. She resorted to mud slinging, while Furlan kept it composed and on topic. I predict a tight race, but Furlan takes it. Most people are just too fed up with the activism and general deterioration of the ward. Ward 3 Farr will be irrelevant with under 5% of the vote.
In another post you mentioned a lot of progressive candidates being in for a surprise and I think this will be the case.

Ward 3 Farr is my preference (donated to her campaign) but I think Furlan will win. Sure signs don't vote however, Furlan has a lot of them and I know neighbours that are voting for him but wouldn't be caught dead with his sign lol. Nann has some supporters in my neighbourhood but the majority want her out. Bernie Morelli was one of the longest serving members on council (ward 3) up till his death. Furlan probably fills that void for some long term residents that are turned off by Nann's progressive politics.

I think Ward 2 will go to Jason Farr and 4 to Tammy Hwang

Old Posted Oct 24, 2022, 3:12 PM

It's election day!

Take this for what it's worth, but Nann canvassers were walking around my neighbourhood at 10am, which indicates a much closer vote versus Furlan that probably first envisioned at the start of the campaign.

Hopefully Bob won't win the mayoral race as he's trailing massively (thank goodness). He's shown his true colours recently, bringing back up the defiant LRT side (after initially saying he'd move forward with the build). Between Keenan and Andrea, it's tough. Keenan has some good views, but I still don't like the urban boundary expansion embracement and with Andrea, she abandoned her riding for an opportunistic chance at the mayor's seat. It won't probably be much change from Fred, but again, as long as the old man who yells at clouds doesn't get in, that's all that matters.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2022, 3:46 PM

Really hoping for a Jason Farr and Furlan alliance at City Hall.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2022, 4:59 PM

Today is going to be interesting. Polls seem to show Loomis and Horwath very close, so we'll have to see what happens. If I was a betting man, which I'm not, I'd probably bet on Horwath despite voting for Loomis, but we'll have to see.

The council races will be interesting as well. I'd be surprised if Nann or Farr lose. Wards 5, 10, and 14 are more interesting to me, 5 and 14 because they have an insane list of candidates with no incumbent, and 10 because it's an incumbent councillor running again with a real chance of actually losing based on the previous election results.

Last edited by Innsertnamehere; Oct 24, 2022 at 5:21 PM.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2022, 6:06 PM

Incumbents are hard to beat so Nann has that going for her, but there's a lot of motivated people in ward 3 in what is usually a low turnout ward. Initially I was surprised that Furlan ran considering Farr was running again, but he ran a strong campaign.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2022, 6:38 PM

I honestly think Farr is more likely to be unseated than Nann is, but I wouldn't be willing to bet more than 2 dollars on either of those races. I'm really perplexed by the prediction of Tammy Hwang in ward 4. Is that based on any actual intel?

Old Posted Oct 24, 2022, 7:12 PM
Burger Connoisseur

I'd be very shocked if Jason Farr keeps his seat. I'm certain Cameron has him beat this time around for Ward 2.... hopefully anyway!

I also hope Nrinder keeps her seat but it's looking like a close race. I guess Furlan is the far right protest vote?

Andrea & Keanin are neck & neck for the mayors seat. Praying Keanin takes it for the good of the city. Andrea will have a very difficult time getting provincial funds from Ford because of their not so good relationship. And Keanin just has a solid all around platform for Hamilton.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2022, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StEC View Post
I'd be very shocked if Jason Farr keeps his seat. I'm certain Cameron has him beat this time around for Ward 2.... hopefully anyway!

I also hope Nrinder keeps her seat but it's looking like a close race. I guess Furlan is the far right protest vote?

Andrea & Keanin are neck & neck for the mayors seat. Praying Keanin takes it for the good of the city. Andrea will have a very difficult time getting provincial funds from Ford because of their not so good relationship. And Keanin just has a solid all around platform for Hamilton.
He would support landlord licensing, housing first/rapid re housing, rent protections, implementing the complete street designs, increased cycling safety and infrastructure. He also does support social services but believes their location matters and that all wards should share the responsibility. Does any of that sound far right to you?

I guess it’s easier for you to digest and dismiss Furlan supporters as far right types. That’s a shame.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2022, 8:27 PM

Yeah Furlan has a BA in labour studies and has the endorsement of 1005.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2022, 8:30 PM

While I didn't vote for him (coin toss), Furlan (heritage conservationist by trade) actually brought up something I completely agree with, the lack of playing fields and zero arenas in Ward 3 and working on implementing new development. I was really hoping my son would be able to play little league baseball or something and there's nothing around.

On another note, the lack of school playground/infrastructure that isn't concrete in the lower city is pitiful. Even Bernie Custis (a relatively brand new school) recently negotiated with THF to use the facility. Like how does a new school get built without infrastructure. Yet you think the mountain or Ancaster or wherever gets that treatment? Not a chance.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2022, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetimetoomany View Post

I guess it’s easier for you to digest and dismiss Furlan supporters as far right types. That’s a shame.
I honestly don't understand how people are calling Furlan far right. It's hilarious. Do they even read or listen to anything this guy has said? He's a union man.

Much easier to dismiss your opponents as nutjobs rather than actually make an argument. Unfortunately Stec has been known to do that on these forums.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2022, 9:45 PM

It's because he doesn't want to support homeless people. He wants them to leave. There are legitimate concerns when it comes to a focus point of shelters and support services, but his contempt for the homeless makes him look like a douchenozzle.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Oct 24, 2022, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
It's because he doesn't want to support homeless people. He wants them to leave. There are legitimate concerns when it comes to a focus point of shelters and support services, but his contempt for the homeless makes him look like a douchenozzle.
Never once has he said that. He has only stated that he wants community consultation on the placement of shelters and safe injection sites. Something Nann never wanted to do.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2022, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHonestMaple View Post
Never once has he said that. He has only stated that he wants community consultation on the placement of shelters and safe injection sites. Something Nann never wanted to do.
Is the team at St Patrick’s “douchenozzle” because they’re calling on the community to support them re Mission Services move?

https://www.stpatrickshamilton.ca/wp...-23-2022-1.pdf last page “we need your help”

Curious 🧐

And like Honest Maple pointed out Furlan has never said anything disparaging about the unhoused population.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 2:44 AM
Burger Connoisseur

Cameron and Nrinder won their wards this makes me very happy!

But damn it's so close for Loomis right now come on!!!

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 2:46 AM

Pleasantly surprised by the win of Alex Wilson in ward 13! Looking forward to seeing how all these new faces and talents move the city forward.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 2:59 AM

Non-progressives ended up with a surprise upset.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 3:02 AM

Really surprised by the Kroetsch victory. Hats off to him and his disciplined campaign. Really hoping he doesn't let the encampment issue fester, we really don't need that again. But I don't have high expectations considering his activist history.

Looking like a Horwath victory. Not too surprised there. Let's hope her poor relationship with the premier doesn't hurt Hamilton.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy