HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Oct 2, 2022, 1:28 AM

Why in the holy hell did I get a text from Bob Bratina's campaign for mayor?
Are they robo-texting everyone? They shouldn't be spamming their BS to unlisted numbers.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2022, 3:24 PM
Concerned Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
Why in the holy hell did I get a text from Bob Bratina's campaign for mayor?
Are they robo-texting everyone? They shouldn't be spamming their BS to unlisted numbers.
There is no such thing as an unlisted number anymore. Under legislation they can call during an election campaign to solicit votes. Texting would count the same as a call. Nothing illegal about it.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2022, 1:08 AM

My wife got one and we don't even live in Hamilton.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2022, 7:58 PM
It's Hammer Time

Update: Andrea Horwath has big edge among decided voters ahead of Hamilton mayoral election

https://www.insauga.com/andrea-horwa...CFWtNgBYMl0uI0

Resume and name cachet appear to be driving the numbers for decided voters ahead of Hamilton’s 2022 mayoral race.

Former Ontario NDP leader Andrea Horwath, who stepped down as party leader and has been an elected member of provincial parliament (MPP) for Hamilton since 2014, has a sizable lead heading into Monday’s election, according to data from Mainstreet Research for iPolitics.

According to the latest numbers, Horwath is polling at 36.5 per cent, followed by Keanin Loomis (28.7), Bob Bratina (12.1), and Jimmy Kimmel’s favourite candidate, Ejaz Butt (2.8 per cent).

However, 20 per cent of respondents told Mainstreet Research they were undecided, leaving a lot of votes unaccounted for.

Broken down by gender, Horwath is still the favourite, although the margin closes considerably in Loomis’ favour among males. Horwath’s lead shrinks to just 0.5 per cent among decided males over Loomis, but balloons to 14.2 per cent among females.

But again, undecided voters could be the difference.

Only 13.3 per cent of male voters are undecided compared to 25.2 per cent of females.

According to the Mainstreet Research poll, younger voters are heavily skewed towards Horwath at 42.2 per cent, while the highest earners prefer Loomis. The former Hamilton Chamber of Commerce president and CEO is polling at 41.1 per cent among those earning more than $100,000 per year.

Interestingly, the numbers are flipped among decided voters earning between $75,000 and $100,000.

Horwath is also polling more favourably among lower-income groups.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2022, 9:41 PM
Burger Connoisseur

I'm in Ward 2 - Keanin Loomis and Cameron Kroetsch have my vote!

Andrea wining wouldn't be the worst thing in the world but she doesn't deserve the mayors seat as a consolidation prize, she was elected to be our MPP and should have fulfilled her duties. I voted for her in the provincial election and she lost my vote for good when she quit to run for mayor.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2022, 10:02 PM
Hammer'd

Ward 4, pretty sure Horwath will get a reluctant vote from me since Loomis has turned me off lately. For councilor I'm kinda torn between Tammy Hwang and Eric Tuck. They're both progressives who have said good things in regards to safer streets, public transit investment, housing affordability and combating homelessness/addictions issues though I've noticed Tuck seems to have more signs around the neighborhood so my vote might go his way. I also kinda like how deeply involved he is with the local transit union and how he'll be pushing for HSR to operate the LRT. Mostly just glad it isn't gonna be Merulla again for the next 4 years.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Oct 19, 2022, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
Ward 4, pretty sure Horwath will get a reluctant vote from me since Loomis has turned me off lately. For councilor I'm kinda torn between Tammy Hwang and Eric Tuck. They're both progressives who have said good things in regards to safer streets, public transit investment, housing affordability and combating homelessness/addictions issues though I've noticed Tuck seems to have more signs around the neighborhood so my vote might go his way. I also kinda like how deeply involved he is with the local transit union and how he'll be pushing for HSR to operate the LRT. Mostly just glad it isn't gonna be Merulla again for the next 4 years.
How has it been feeling for Pascale? She's a colleague and friend, and so I'm supportive of her but also think she would be great. Just curious what the vibe you're feeling for who might win.

I'm supporting Cameron in Ward 2 as well. Some may worry he isn't as supportive for development, but if you talk to him he absolutely is, but he wants less false starts like Connolly and Jamesville Lofts, and wants to ensure that we're getting benefits like a grocer on the first floor of Corktown plaza redevelopment. Jason just rolls in the red carpet and doesn't actually fight for better development.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Oct 19, 2022, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
How has it been feeling for Pascale? She's a colleague and friend, and so I'm supportive of her but also think she would be great. Just curious what the vibe you're feeling for who might win.

I'm supporting Cameron in Ward 2 as well. Some may worry he isn't as supportive for development, but if you talk to him he absolutely is, but he wants less false starts like Connolly and Jamesville Lofts, and wants to ensure that we're getting benefits like a grocer on the first floor of Corktown plaza redevelopment. Jason just rolls in the red carpet and doesn't actually fight for better development.
Do you have any examples of how Jason doesn't fight for better development?

I think all these progressive candidates are going to be in for a bit of a surprise. Look what happened to Vancouver this week. I think Nann will likely lose her seat at council, with Furlan having massive support for his tough on crime stance. And I doubt Cameron will beat Farr. He's just a bit too progressive for most people, and his stance on defund the police and the encampments rub a lot of people the wrong way.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2022, 11:02 PM

I’m in Ward 10 and am going with Jeff Beattie and Loomis. Pearson’s hilariously terrible. Beattie seems to have a lot of heart and care for the community, even if he is capitalizing on NIMBYism against those mega towers proposed on the waterfront.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2022, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHonestMaple View Post
Do you have any examples of how Jason doesn't fight for better development?

I think all these progressive candidates are going to be in for a bit of a surprise. Look what happened to Vancouver this week. I think Nann will likely lose her seat at council, with Furlan having massive support for his tough on crime stance. And I doubt Cameron will beat Farr. He's just a bit too progressive for most people, and his stance on defund the police and the encampments rub a lot of people the wrong way.
I don't think there's a chance Furlan unseats Nann. He's got a loud minority of people voting for him, but majority of Ward 3 are going to support Nann or Farr, with Nann getting the incumbency effect.

I do really like Beattie in Ward 10. Really nice guy. I don't think maria is actually terrible, just mediocre at worst, and maybe apathetic.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2022, 11:21 PM

Quote:
I don't think there's a chance Furlan unseats Nann. He's got a loud minority of people voting for him, but majority of Ward 3 are going to support Nann or Farr, with Nann getting the incumbency effect.

I do really like Beattie in Ward 10. Really nice guy. I don't think maria is actually terrible, just mediocre at worst, and maybe apathetic.
Seems to me that Furlan signs are 10:1 to Nann's just driving around. And her performance at the debate was quite poor. She resorted to mud slinging, while Furlan kept it composed and on topic. I predict a tight race, but Furlan takes it. Most people are just too fed up with the activism and general deterioration of the ward. Ward 3 Farr will be irrelevant with under 5% of the vote.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2022, 11:52 PM

Signs don't mean votes, and I've heard a lot of signs that are up aren't requested. There a lot of apartments in Ward 3. Even canvassing with Cameron, we spoke to numerous people that said they didn't ask for a Farr sign. Signs are used by desperate people to make themselves look bigger than the are. Recall Vito for mayor last election. He had a ton of signs and yet Fred destroyed him.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2022, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Signs don't mean votes, and I've heard a lot of signs that are up aren't requested. There a lot of apartments in Ward 3. Even canvassing with Cameron, we spoke to numerous people that said they didn't ask for a Farr sign. Signs are used by desperate people to make themselves look bigger than the are. Recall Vito for mayor last election. He had a ton of signs and yet Fred destroyed him.
I guess we'll see on election day . I predict Jason Farr and Furlan sweep.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2022, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHonestMaple View Post
I guess we'll see on election day . I predict Jason Farr and Furlan sweep.
Cameron came pretty close last time and wasn't as organized as this time. His campaign has been incredibly organized. We had an election day training with 15 people and tlwas a second training day.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2022, 12:53 AM
It's Hammer Time

I haven't gotten a clue who to vote for this election in Ward 14. You know the ward that's sandwiched between ward 8 and 12 I usually always vote for whoever is Whitehead's strongest opponent. This year it's a wide-open race with a lot of candidates. The only name that I do recognize is Don Ross.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2022, 1:17 AM
It's a nickname from work

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
I haven't gotten a clue who to vote for this election in Ward 14. You know the ward that's sandwiched between ward 8 and 12 I usually always vote for whoever is Whitehead's strongest opponent. This year it's a wide-open race with a lot of candidates. The only name that I do recognize is Don Ross.
I've been seeing quite a bit from Kojo Damptey, though since he's not in my ward, I haven't read into what he's about. Seems to be running a good campaign at least.

As for Mayor, as squeaky-clean as Loomis' campaign has been, it's the ideas he's had most recently that's shattered the image to me. I cannot get behind a candidate who had an interest in privatizing CityHousing and who promised not to touch area rating. Not to mention how he previously favoured the expansion of the urban boundary, but doesn't now that the opinion is firmly the other way. Small wonder from the ex-CEO of the Chamber of Commerce...

Old Posted Oct 20, 2022, 1:43 AM
Ham-burgher

I'm in Ward 1. We've had Maureen Wilson come to the house twice now... missed her the last time but she left a few personalized words on her flyer. Nobody else has been by, at least when we've been home. (we get a LOT of real estate agents asking if we're planning to sell though ... no, not just yet)

Unfortunately we missed the early voting opportunities (I've had Covid, trying to catch up on work) and we are about to embark on a vacation and will miss election day.

I've been thinking I'd vote for Wilson, and Loomis is my favoured mayoral candidate but I don't mind if Horwath wins. I'd prefer a very fresh face in the role with new ideas and perspectives and a stronger "business" mind, but don't doubt that Andrea would advocate fiercely for Hamilton if she becomes our leader; I do hope she'll be as collaborative as she says she is, because that's just as important. I'm quite happy to see Bratina polling poorly at this point... if he wins, I fear for this town.

Last edited by ScreamingViking; Oct 20, 2022 at 1:56 AM.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2022, 3:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
I'm in Ward 1. We've had Maureen Wilson come to the house twice now... missed her the last time but she left a few personalized words on her flyer. Nobody else has been by, at least when we've been home. (we get a LOT of real estate agents asking if we're planning to sell though ... no, not just yet)

Unfortunately we missed the early voting opportunities (I've had Covid, trying to catch up on work) and we are about to embark on a vacation and will miss election day.

I've been thinking I'd vote for Wilson, and Loomis is my favoured mayoral candidate but I don't mind if Horwath wins. I'd prefer a very fresh face in the role with new ideas and perspectives and a stronger "business" mind, but don't doubt that Andrea would advocate fiercely for Hamilton if she becomes our leader; I do hope she'll be as collaborative as she says she is, because that's just as important. I'm quite happy to see Bratina polling poorly at this point... if he wins, I fear for this town.
You're allowed to have someone vote on your behalf fyi if you're interested in voting and supporting someone, which I would suggest you do! If you'd like more information and can't find it, I'll send it your way.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2022, 3:47 AM

I predict Nann will win but it will be uncomfortably close for an incumbent running against a newbie. I could see ward 2 going either way.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2022, 9:42 AM
Burger Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Please look over Kojo's platform, he is stand up citizen running an excellent campaign. He was the one who has sadly been targeted by a group of white supremacists.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy