HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 17, 2016, 11:56 PM

EXCLUSIVE: Sutton Place Hotel Coming Downtown

http://www.cjob.com/2016/02/17/118633/

Expect the hotel at True North Square to be a Sutton Place Hotel.

The luxury hotel chain operates in Vancouver, Revelstoke Mountain Resort and Edmonton. Sutton Place Hotel Vancouver is considered one of the foremost hotels in that city and is on the Conde Nast Traveler Gold List.

The Winnipeg hotel will be built opposite the Convention Centre on Carlton Street and is expected to have at least 275 rooms.

“This is a fabulous brand for the downtown,” an official close to the deal told 680 CJOB News. The source did not have permission to speak officially about the deal.

Sutton Hotel Winnipeg, Inc. was registered at the Manitoba Companies Branch earlier this month. A full announcement on the $400-million plus True North Square development is expected next week.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegcitybruh View Post
http://www.cjob.com/2016/02/17/118633/

Expect the hotel at True North Square to be a Sutton Place Hotel.

The luxury hotel chain operates in Vancouver, Revelstoke Mountain Resort and Edmonton. Sutton Place Hotel Vancouver is considered one of the foremost hotels in that city and is on the Conde Nast Traveler Gold List.

The Winnipeg hotel will be built opposite the Convention Centre on Carlton Street and is expected to have at least 275 rooms.

“This is a fabulous brand for the downtown,” an official close to the deal told 680 CJOB News. The source did not have permission to speak officially about the deal.

Sutton Hotel Winnipeg, Inc. was registered at the Manitoba Companies Branch earlier this month. A full announcement on the $400-million plus True North Square development is expected next week.
I thought the hotel was going on the mpi lot and an office tower going opposite the convention centre?

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 2:01 AM
BANNED

I thought the hotel was always planned for the Carlton Inn site.

I wonder if it will be Northlands that will own and operate it, or if they arranged some kind of franchise arrangement.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 2:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
I thought the hotel was always planned for the Carlton Inn site.

I wonder if it will be Northlands that will own and operate it, or if they arranged some kind of franchise arrangement.

From earlier in this thread:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...330211211.html

Quote:
The 19-storey tower will be about 300,000 square feet and will include a 14-storey tower on top of a five-storey podium. The retail tenants, one of which could be a grocery store, will be on the bottom two floors, Stephanson said, and the rest of the building is expected to be office space.

The nine-storey tower on the former Carlton Inn site will be about 270,000 square feet, and most of that is also expected to be office space.

The third tower -- a hotel/condominium complex to be built at the south end of the MPI property -- will include a main-floor lobby area, 21 floors of hotel rooms and six floors of condos.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 2:46 AM
BANNED

I assumed it was an error. I figured, as a convention hotel, it would be linked to the CC, thus it would be located on the Carlton site.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 2:51 AM
Starring as himself

Looking at TripAdvisor, I hope it's more like the Sutton Place Vancouver than the Sutton Place Edmonton!

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 2:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Looking at TripAdvisor, I hope it's more like the Sutton Place Vancouver than the Sutton Place Edmonton!
Sort-of Fun fact: The Sutton Place Edmonton used to be a Four Seasons.

I'm guessing the RBCCC won't be thrilled as for some reason it was really important for them that the new hotel be affiliated with one of the bigger operators (Marriott, Starwood, Hyatt, IHG, etc.). Although really, I'm not sure how much of a difference it will really make... just being a nice new full-service hotel will already give Sutton Place a leg up on their downtown competitors.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 3:02 AM
BANNED

Yes, the Edmonton property has been "renovating" for a long time because Northlands does not believe in financing its construction/renos; this is also why an addition to the Sandman in West Edmonton has been u/c for years.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 3:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
Yes, the Edmonton property has been "renovating" for a long time because Northlands does not believe in financing its construction/renos; this is also why an addition to the Sandman in West Edmonton has been u/c for years.
So Sutton Place is owned by the same people who own the Sandman chain? Your comment explains a lot... I recall the Sandman in Winnipeg near the airport took unbelievably long to build... I wondered at the time if the project had gone bust from the total lack of activity on the site.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 3:33 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
So Sutton Place is owned by the same people who own the Sandman chain? Your comment explains a lot... I recall the Sandman in Winnipeg near the airport took unbelievably long to build... I wondered at the time if the project had gone bust from the total lack of activity on the site.
Yes. They build some nice properties, but for the most part they allow their hotels to deteriorate.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 4:06 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Sort-of Fun fact: The Sutton Place Edmonton used to be a Four Seasons.

I'm guessing the RBCCC won't be thrilled as for some reason it was really important for them that the new hotel be affiliated with one of the bigger operators (Marriott, Starwood, Hyatt, IHG, etc.). Although really, I'm not sure how much of a difference it will really make... just being a nice new full-service hotel will already give Sutton Place a leg up on their downtown competitors.
Convention planners might be a bit turned off if their members can't use their usual loyalty program hotels when in Winnipeg.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 4:22 AM

Would the Winnipeg Sutton be an NHL standard hotel or will visiting teams still stay at the Fairmont?

Thought getting a hotel chain of NHL standards right by MTS Centre was an important piece for TN.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 4:37 AM
BANNED

Depends on how luxurious it will be and level of service. Based on media, the plan calls for a luxurious hotel, so they very well could stay there.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 5:15 AM
surely you agree with me

If it's not a four star Starwood hotel the teams and concert performers would still be able to choose. I'm sure this is higher quality than fairmont so it will be the choice regardless of the contract. Chipman had better hope nobody swoops in and builds a four star Starwood though. Or they lose those dates no matter what.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 6:29 AM

Lets Hope True North Square Will Announce New Retail Store

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 6:32 AM

If true re: yet another basically independent hotel, this is absolutely useless to a huge chunk of the hardcore travelling population. I realize a lot of people have looked down on the idea of a "chain" hotel with loyalty points. However, there are a huge number of us who stay at these places. Take a look at: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hotel...-programs-389/

Winnipeg needs at least one more large chain hotel downtown to satisfy this demand with the expanded Convention Centre.

As far as visiting NHL teams, given that Marriott has bought Delta and they are about to buy Starwood, NHL teams may be staying slightly off-site once everything closes...

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 1:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavefromSt.Vital View Post
If true re: yet another basically independent hotel, this is absolutely useless to a huge chunk of the hardcore travelling population. I realize a lot of people have looked down on the idea of a "chain" hotel with loyalty points. However, there are a huge number of us who stay at these places. Take a look at: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hotel...-programs-389/
Basically useless is an overstatement in my opinion.... I'm a self-admitted SPG point hoarder but I certainly don't make decisions about where to go based on whether there is a Starwood hotel around or not. The same way, I can't imagine that people will make decisions whether to attend conferences and events in Winnipeg on the basis that the TNS hotel is independent instead of a Sheraton.

And as you pointed out, with the Marriott-Starwood merger, the Delta will soon be handing out SPG points and recognizing SPG status, so RBCCC will be getting its affiliated hotel through the back door in any event.

The Sutton Place in Vancouver looks great so if the new one here operates at a similar level, they'll have a pretty strong drawing card even if it is basically independent.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 1:57 PM
BANNED

The lobby of the SP in Edmonton is very nice, certainly no indication what waits for you above though, Lol. Vancouver's SP is spectacular, consistently at the top of its game. Hopefully, based on the registering of the name in Manitoba, it is not Northlands involved. I know they did not actually want the Vancouver property but it was part of the deal. I would not be surprised if the Vancouver property starts to go downhill soon.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 2:25 PM
Aspiring.

Is anyone else intrigued by the 'more transit connectivity' claimed on the signage?
Could this mean a True North Station/hub is being incorporated somewhere?

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 2:33 PM

From Wikipedia

The Sutton Place Hotel Company is a collection of three premium hotels located in Canada, owned and managed by Northland Properties Corporation with their head office in
Vancouver, BC.

Seems Northlands runs the show with Sutton Hotels. I would assume no difference with the TNS hotel.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan