HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted May 29, 2008, 4:50 AM
Meh

Drinking and cycling in Austin shouldn't mix, doctors say

From the Austin American-Statesman
http://www.statesman.com/news/conten...bikestudy.html

MEDICAL RESEARCH
Drinking and cycling in Austin shouldn't mix, doctors say
Intoxicated bicyclists 3.6 times more likely to suffer head injuries in cycling crashes, study finds.

By Mary Ann Roser

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Thursday, May 29, 2008

Ever drink and ride?

Emergency medicine doctors for the Seton Family of Hospitals said it's not uncommon for people in Austin to hit downtown-area bars, then hop on their bicycles — behavior they strongly discouraged Wednesday.

Preliminary data for a study they plan to submit for publication next month found that one in five people they treated in a year's time for bike-related injuries at the University Medical Center at Brackenridge were drinking and riding — and almost always without a helmet.

In all, the hospital treated 200 bicycle wreck victims between December 2006 and November 2007, doctors said at a news conference. Of those, 40 had been drinking and just one was wearing a helmet after imbibing, said Dr. T.J. Milling, director of clinical research for the emergency departments at University Medical Center and Dell Children's Medical Center of Central Texas.

Those who ended up in the emergency room with injuries from bicycling and drinking were more likely to be riding in the downtown and University of Texas areas at night, Milling said. Nearly a third of the crashes involved a car, and the rest were "single bike accidents," he said.

They also found that intoxicated bicyclists were 3.6 times more likely to suffer head injuries in cycling crashes, said Dr. Pat Crocker, chief of emergency medicine at Dell Children's.

"We were very surprised by the strong association between drinking and not wearing a helmet," Crocker said.

People who think they are safer on a bike than behind the wheel after drinking are wrong, the doctors said. It takes more skill to maneuver a bicycle and "you don't have that metal armor" of a vehicle around you, Milling said.

Of the 200 bicyclists who were treated at the hospital, 58 percent of the drinkers suffered head injuries, versus 28 percent of the sober bikers, according to data that Milling provided.

Some bicyclists have been known to gather at downtown-area bars for "bike happy hours," but Preston Tyree, director of education for the League of American Bicyclists, said that trend started to wane a couple years ago. "There was bike pub crawl at one point, but we stopped most of those," Tyree said.

Crocker and Milling, along with former Austin Mayor Bruce Todd — who suffered severe head injuries despite wearing a helmet in a November 2005 bicycle crash — are urging the Austin City Council to pass an ordinance to require bicycle helmets for adults. Currently, only children younger than 18 must wear helmets.

The doctors said their study found that people who were not wearing a helmet were twice as likely to suffer a head injury as those who were wearing one.

As gas prices go up and parking becomes more scarce downtown, Todd predicted more people would turn to bicycling, creating more potential for crashes and injuries.

Todd fully recovered after more than $200,000 worth of medical bills but said if he had not been wearing a helmet, "I wouldn't be here or anywhere."

A helmet ordinance "doesn't have a chance," said Rob D'Amico, president of the League of Bicycling Voters, which was created to defeat such an ordinance. "Their argument is 'Let's put more body armor on their heads so it's cheaper for taxpayers.' We find that insulting."

Tyree agreed, saying it makes more sense to train bicyclists to avoid wrecks.

People who ride while intoxicated can't be cited for driving under the influence since they're not in a motor vehicle, but they could be ticketed for public intoxication, police spokesman Joe Muñoz said.

The doctors said they plan to continue studying local bicycle wrecks to strengthen their database for future publications.

Old Posted May 29, 2008, 7:53 AM
BANNED

Time to open a can of...

Old Posted May 29, 2008, 1:01 PM

The whole study is BS - you don't start from hospital admissions and then extrapolate backwards; it's the simplest way to get self-selected sample bias (like you do with essentially all helmet studies).

Old Posted May 29, 2008, 1:50 PM
Meh

^ Yep. A perfect example of that is Bruce Todd running around preaching the word that people should don helmets and the city should require them since he cracked his skull. Despite the popular saying, people do forget how to ride a bike and sometimes have accidents because of it. I doubt while getting your motorcycle license, they ask you if you've ever ridden a bicycle, as if riding a bicycle somehow instantly teaches you how to ride a motorcycle.

Old Posted May 29, 2008, 4:33 PM

I'm not saying that I advocate the law, but last summer I was biking at night and hit a speed bump as I was cutting thru a parking lot. I was focusing on a car that had its reverse lights on but a girl was leaning into the drivers side from outside the vehicle, so the car was not backing up. The bike hit the speed bump, stopped and I flew over the handle bars like super man. Since I had no helmet or gloves, I had a choice between my face and my hands. I chose hands. I arched my back and used my hands to protect my head upon initial contact with asphalt. In the process I broke ribs and had my entire bottom palm ripped to shreds. I won't even tell you about my knees, that was nothing. I could barely get into/out of bed or cough (if you've ever broken ribs you know what I'm talking about) and couldn't use my hand for about 6 weeks. All excercise except walking came to a halt. This accident happened so fast that I was lucky to get out of it the way I did. Needless to say, to this day, I will not get on a bike w/o helmet or gloves.

Old Posted May 29, 2008, 6:50 PM

That's a nice anectdote, JAM, but the problem is that as helmet usage has skyrocketed in this country, precisely no change was found to have occurred in the rate of head injuries. They don't do shit.

Old Posted May 29, 2008, 10:02 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1EK View Post
That's a nice anectdote, JAM, but the problem is that as helmet usage has skyrocketed in this country, precisely no change was found to have occurred in the rate of head injuries. They don't do shit.
I agree with you on transportation issues most of the time. I don't like helmets either and I have never worn one while riding a bike. But come on, they do offer significant protection whether you're on a motorcycle, a bicycle or just a retard on a playground.

Old Posted May 29, 2008, 10:07 PM

RI, motorcycle helmets do - bike helmets were made so light and flimsy that they've lost essentially all ability to absorb force -- because otherwise people wouldn't tolerate them (as it is, some still won't).

Old Posted May 29, 2008, 10:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1EK View Post
RI, motorcycle helmets do - bike helmets were made so light and flimsy that they've lost essentially all ability to absorb force -- because otherwise people wouldn't tolerate them (as it is, some still won't).
OK. That makes more sense.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin