HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted May 28, 2008, 5:31 AM
Meh

Austin working on bike-friendly improvements

From the Austin American-Statesman
http://www.statesman.com/news/conten...28bicycle.html

Austin working on bike-friendly improvements
Task force report recommends more lanes, safety education to encourage riding.

By Katie Humphrey

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Even bicycle riders need a place to park.

If they're headed to work, they also need a place to shower and don office attire.

And those are just accessories. Bicycle routes, well-maintained lanes and safe streets are a must for recreational and commuting bicyclists alike, according to the City of Austin's Street Smarts Task Force.

The task force, launched by Mayor Will Wynn and Lance Armstrong in March 2007, presented its findings to the City Council last month.

The report includes more than 100 recommendations, including new street markings and bike route signs, cyclist safety education and a three-foot distance requirement for motorists passing cyclists. The report does not include cost estimates. Since 2003, six people have been killed in nearly 1,200 collisions between bicycles and cars in Austin. More than 1,000 of those have resulted in injuries.

Public Works Department staff members are now evaluating how some of the ideas can be incorporated into the city's bicycle plan, last updated in 1998. Others may require further direction from the City Council.

"Our goal is to implement usable and effective bicycle facilities," said Annick Beaudet, the city's bicycle program manager, who often rides to work.

If there are enough facilities for cyclists — trails, designated routes, bicycle parking — people are more likely to take up cycling for exercise, recreation and commuting, she said.

According to the report, 7,900 people commute by bicycle, and nearly 150,000 people old enough to drive also participate in recreational cycling.

Sara Krause, the task force's chairwoman and a competitive cyclist, said encouraging more people to ride could take thousands of vehicles off the road each day.

"When you look at how to get more people commuting (by bicycle) and how to create more recreational access, you need to create recreational access for all levels of cyclists, including people who are newer," Krause said.

That means off-street trails, such as the hike-and-bike trail, which appeal to newer riders, and better awareness of safe street routes for commuters.

Task force members rode every city bicycle route and developed a database of conditions and hazards before coming up with recommendations based on the best practices in cyclist-friendly cities, such as Portland, Ore.

Recommendations encourage the city to look at different types of route markings, such as shared-lane arrows or "sharrows," which signal to drivers that bicycles are allowed and should be expected in some lanes.

They also said both cyclists and drivers need to be educated about rules, which should be fairly enforced, noting that the Austin police could develop a database to track bicycle and vehicle accidents to identify trouble spots.

The task force also recommended that the city hire more staff and establish a permanent board or commission dedicated to bicycle and pedestrian issues.

"As you develop a more dense urban environment, a lot of the issues that need to be addressed for bicyclists can also be addressed for pedestrians at the same time," Krause said.

Libby Bicak, a 21-year-old St. Edward's University student whose bicycle is her primary mode of transportation, said she would welcome infrastructure improvements, especially continuous bike lanes. Reminding drivers of bicycle-related laws and etiquette would also be nice, she said, noting that motorists have yelled and thrown things at her as she rides on South Lamar Boulevard.

"We think we're progressive, but I feel like it could be better," Bicak said. "It's kind of frustrating."

Wynn said he was pleased with the task force's work and excited about exploring some of the recommendations.

"They really drilled deep into the details," Wynn said. "I think there's a strong will, not only in the community and on this council ... to start to make some changes to roads to make Austin safer to ride bicycles."

Old Posted May 29, 2008, 1:54 PM

Status of Lower Shoal Creek Trail?

The other day, I dusted off the old bike and pedaled down the Shoal Creek trail from 35th St. with the goal of reaching the Lake Lady Bird (?) trail. It seems that the Shoal Creek trail ends under the 5th St. bridge. I was wondering if there are plans in the works to extend the trail further south.

Old Posted May 29, 2008, 1:58 PM

I asked the same question a few years ago. I finally met someone who is pretty involved and it seems that the only thing stopping the trail is one very old owner of some land right there along the trail after 5th street. As soon as they "kick the bucket" there are plans to buy the land out and finish it up. Until then you could ride under the bridge at 5th go up the stairs, then head east towards the monarch, right at the end of the bridge hang a left and follow it until you get to the new pedestrian bridge that crosses over shoal creek and then you are practically at town lake.

Old Posted May 29, 2008, 4:22 PM

Thanks for the info. I carried my bike up the stairs at 5th and managed without much trouble to connect with the Lady Bird trail. It wasn't too bad, but it's always a drag when a trail ends seemingly prematurely.

Old Posted May 29, 2008, 5:43 PM

The way I go to Town Lake from about 35th street -- get off the Shoal Creek trail at Pease park and catch Niles rd to Mopac... cross under Mopac at Enfield (not a bad crossing), and then get on the Johnson Creek greenbelt trail right on the other side of Mopac. That will drop you off under the Mopac bridge right at the "rock" right on the town lake trail. No stairs, no getting off bike.

Old Posted May 29, 2008, 6:48 PM

Rather than the Shoal Creek trail, which is crowded and slow at times, try Jefferson Street and Hartford (southbound crossing at Windsor requires some pedestrian action; you can also head back east to Harris at some point southbound). A very nice road to bike on - very shady and fairly calm.

Old Posted May 29, 2008, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmanh View Post
The other day, I dusted off the old bike and pedaled down the Shoal Creek trail from 35th St. with the goal of reaching the Lake Lady Bird (?) trail. It seems that the Shoal Creek trail ends under the 5th St. bridge. I was wondering if there are plans in the works to extend the trail further south.
I just keep going. Plow thru the creek to the other side where Monarch is. There is a sidewalk over there that will take you back over the creek and up a hill just behind 404 Rio Grande where you can continue down to Lady Bird Lake. On a good day, I can make it with out getting off and walking. Right now a tree has fallen behind the Monarch on the sidewalk, so you'll have to lift your bike over that.

Good luck!

P.S. Please be kind to pedestrians on the trail. They'll soon be behind the wheel of a large automobile

Old Posted May 31, 2008, 2:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsjv View Post
I asked the same question a few years ago. I finally met someone who is pretty involved and it seems that the only thing stopping the trail is one very old owner of some land right there along the trail after 5th street. As soon as they "kick the bucket" there are plans to buy the land out and finish it up. Until then you could ride under the bridge at 5th go up the stairs, then head east towards the monarch, right at the end of the bridge hang a left and follow it until you get to the new pedestrian bridge that crosses over shoal creek and then you are practically at town lake.
This property is now owned by developer Perry Lorenz. He is part of the Trammel Crow team bidding on the Green Water Treatment Plant and has pledged an easement across the property to complete the trail as part of the bid on the Green property.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 4:22 AM

I wonder how effective this will be in the future

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 5:00 AM
Bears of antiquity

Light years behind Portland and Davis, CA... but a nice (albeit modest) start.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin