HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Apr 9, 2008, 5:37 AM
Meh

AUSTIN: Patagonia to open retail store downtown.

Great news.

From the Austin American-Statesman
http://www.statesman.com/business/co...patagonia.html

RETAIL

Patagonia to open retail store downtown.
Outdoors-oriented company says Austin's a good fit.

By Shonda Novak

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Patagonia, a manufacturer and retailer of outdoor clothing that was founded by a mountain climber, plans to open its first Texas store on Congress Avenue in downtown Austin this fall.

The national retailer, which is opening a 7,000-square-foot store in the historic W.B. Smith Building, 316 Congress Ave., will be one of the only retailers of that stature to open on Congress in decades.

Ventura, Calif.-based Patagonia Inc. is accepting applications for managerial and retail associate positions.

Austin's reputation as one of the nation's healthiest and greenest cities made it a natural choice for a company that caters to outdoors aficionados who want eco-friendly merchandise. The company said it uses 100 percent organic cotton for all of its Patagonia-branded apparel.

Patagonia opened its 24th U.S. store in a historical building in Boulder, Colo., recently. It often opts to restore buildings rather than build new stores.

"At Patagonia, we look to open stores in cities filled with people who love the outdoors as much as we do," Vickie Achee, Patagonia's retail marketing manager, said in a statement.

Congress Avenue was once Austin's top retail address, but it has lost all but a few retailers over the years.

The city has poured resources into building up the Second Street retail district west of Congress, but rebuilding Congress has been a slower process, mainly because there are about 80 different property, business and store owners, said Molly Alexander, associate director of the Downtown Austin Alliance, which helps match building owners with potential tenants to expand downtown's retail mix.

Many of the storefronts have been converted into offices, bank lobbies, fast- and full-service restaurants, and bars, leaving just 11 retailers (not counting restaurants and bars) from the Capitol to Cesar Chavez Street, Alexander said. The alliance, a coalition of business and property owners, helped attract Patagonia.

Alexander said Austin was on Patagonia's radar when she made the first call to the company in October 2006. A retail consultant had identified Patagonia as one of five national retailers that would be a good fit for downtown.

"We've been very successful bringing in local retailers," Alexander said. "We knew that the national piece was critical, and it was critical to get the right ones."

In July, a Patagonia representative and an architect checked out historical buildings on Congress and later zeroed in on the Smith building owned by Clarke Heidrick and others, she said. A lease deal was made final last month.

"They are a great company with a long history of quality and commitment to the environment," Heidrick said. "And they will really add to downtown."

Built in 1884, the building first housed W.B. Smith's dry goods store. Later, it was home to ventures including a candy manufacturing business and the Vulcan Gas Co.'s psychedelic rock emporium in the late 1960s, Alexander said.

Alexander said Patagonia "will help Congress move forward to become the major shopping destination downtown."

Old Posted Apr 9, 2008, 2:48 PM

Awesome.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2008, 5:13 PM
Austinite

Great news! It's nice to see retailers returning to Congress. The Austonian should provide a good chunk of retail (benefiting of course from the 2nd St district)...upwards of 20,000 sq ft or more. Hopefully the Marriott complex will do the same.

http://www.loopnet.com/Attachments/5...2E2FD50790.pdf

Old Posted Apr 11, 2008, 12:52 AM
Meh

http://www.statesman.com/business/co...austininc.html

Eateries, cafe to open this summer in Brazos condos downtown

Downtown workers and road warriors will have more places to grab lunch this summer when new tenants open in the Brazos Place Condominiums, a condominium-conversion project in downtown Austin.

The tenants will include Baby Greens, which serves salads and wraps, and Ana's Mart, a gourmet grocery.

A third new occupant will be LaunchPad Coworking, a cafe with work spaces and meeting rooms that telecommuters, business travelers and others can rent by the hour, according to the company's Web site.

And more retailers are coming, said Jessica Jordan, sales associate with developer PRS Equities Ltd.

The project, at East Eighth and Brazos streets, includes 71 condominium units priced from the mid-$200,000s to the low $500,000s, Jordan said.

Rendering of Brazos Place Condominiums:

Old Posted Apr 11, 2008, 12:12 PM

All great news. A major new retailer opening on Congress -- that's pretty cool!

Old Posted Apr 11, 2008, 3:13 PM

Cool to see Baby Greens opening up another shop. I know the girl that started the one on south 1st. Guess she's doing pretty well to open another shop!

Old Posted Apr 11, 2008, 3:43 PM

from Austin Towers

Patagonia to Lead Congress Avenue Comeback
April 10, 2008 20:58 Filed in: News
Congress Avenue was always meant to be the heart of Austin. Over the last 40 years, it's destiny as a retail center seems to have slowly slipped away. When the new Marriott replaces Tesoros Trading Company, very little retail will remain.

Today, however, Patagonia -- the upscale outdoor clothing company -- announced that it will open it's first store in Texas in a historic downtown building located between 3rd and 4th street on Congress Avenue. This is a bold move for the company and it is great news for Austin. With the opening of a new destination store, the Patagonia announcement should lead more businesses to follow with a Congress Avenue presence.

Prior to 1960, Congress avenue was the center of retail and commerce for the City of Austin. Over the last 5 decades, Congress Avenue has been in a steady state of decline as city residents increasingly looked to suburbs for shopping and commerce. Today, there are only 13 retail business on the prime central stretch between the Capital and the lake. While a handful of restaurants continue to survive, Congress avenue storefronts are more likely to be vacant or filled with offices than utilized for retail or cultural purposes. With the opening of the Austonoan, the Patagonia Store, the new Arthouse and the redevelopment the historic Yaring's department store on Congress between 5th and 6th into retail and commercial space, there is once again hope that the former glory of our most prominent thoroughfare may be restored.

Here is a summary from the Statesman:

Patagonia, the Ventura, Calif. active clothing and equipment retailer, plans to open its first Texas store at 316 Congress this fall. The 7,000-square-foot store will be the company's 25th location and will carry outdoor sports and lifestyle products tailored to Austin outdoor activities like trail running, bouldering, paddling and hiking/trekking.The store will open in the historic W.B. Smith Building. The company says it chose Austin as the location for its first foray into the Lonestar State because of the city's reputation among the healthiest and greenest communities in the country.

Tags: news

Who is Buying Downtown

Old Posted Apr 11, 2008, 3:56 PM

Very nice. I love the new LaunhPad Coworking... sound very very cool.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2008, 4:35 PM
Meh

I'm going to be so angry if the Marriott doesn't include retail. A project that will occupy the entire block with streets on four sides, they had better take advantage of that. Brazos Street too really needs a shot in the arm. It's so utilitarian and bleh with all the parking garages and blank street level walls.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2008, 4:57 PM

^^^^ I thought it was a new requirement per zoning laws that all new buildings had to have 1st floor retail.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2008, 6:57 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Im very excited about this news. Downtown is fast becoming my first destination for shopping.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2008, 8:17 PM
robert die katze

Yay

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 2:31 PM
Meh

More retail coming to Congress Avenue.

http://www.statesman.com/business/co...1josabank.html

RETAIL

Jos. A. Bank coming to Congress Avenue
Men's clothing chain is second national retailer, after Patagonia, to announce plans for the area.

By Shonda Novak

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Thursday, May 01, 2008

Men's clothing retailer Jos. A. Bank Clothiers Inc. plans to open a store on Congress Avenue in downtown Austin, the second national retailer, after Patagonia, to announce a location this month along the historical street.

Jos. A. Bank expects to open its 4,000-square-foot store in June on the ground floor of the Koppel Building at 322 Congress Ave., said Craig Holmes, chairman of Hospital Housekeeping Systems. Ltd., an Austin-based hospital-service provider that owns the building. The store will be in the space vacated by Volitant Gallery, which lost its lease last fall, said Holmes, whose company occupies the second floor and part of the first floor.

Founded in 1905, publicly traded Jos. A. Bank has more than 400 stores nationwide that sell midpriced men's tailored and casual clothing, accessories and footwear.

Jos. A. Bank has three other Austin-area locations, in the Arboretum at Great Hills shopping center; the Village at Westlake in West Lake Hills; and in the Hill Country Galleria in Bee Cave.

The Downtown Austin Alliance, a coalition of business and property owners, has been working to recruit a broader mix of retailers downtown, where clubs and restaurants predominate. Although in its heyday Congress Avenue had a thriving retail scene with department stores and other shops, many of those storefronts over the years have been replaced by banks, offices, bars and restaurants.

Not counting bars and eateries, Congress Avenue today is home to 12 retailers from the Capitol to Cesar Chavez Street.

Three weeks ago, outdoors-apparel retailer Patagonia said it will open a 7,000-square-foot store in the historic W.B. Smith Building at 316 Congress Ave.

"With that recent announcement, and the continued success of other Congress Avenue retailers, we clearly see that a quality mix of retail offerings is gaining momentum," said Molly Alexander, associate director of the Downtown Austin Alliance.

Holmes said the deal came about when the Dallas broker for Jos. A. Banks picked up Holmes' advertised listing for the vacancy.

Although Holmes found the tenant on his own, he said the alliance gave him advice in negotiating a lease with a national retailer.

"I don't know that we would have been able to make this deal without their help," Holmes said.

Jos. A. Banks will be located a couple of blocks south of another men's apparel store, Keepers Clothing at 515 Congress Ave., an upscale specialty men's clothier.

Chuck Haidet, managing partner of locally owned Keepers, said he welcomes the new store, although he noted that the stores cater to different niches.

"I'm tickled to death they're coming," Haidet said. "The more retailers we can attract to Congress Avenue, the more viable a shopping area it becomes. There's a synergy to it, and it helps us attract more business."

Since opening in November 2005, Keepers has seen double-digit sales increases in 2006 and 2007, Haidet said.

And although the residential population is increasing downtown, "the majority of our traffic is business travelers," both locals and out-of-towners, he said.

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 6:34 PM

Good news! Keeper's is out of my price range.

Old Posted May 2, 2008, 12:15 AM

Patagonia is a destination retailer. They will certainly draw folks to downtown just to shop at that store.

Count me in as jealous. As a volvo driving liberal, I love me some Patagonia. They've even got a cool new line of shoes all from renewable resources.

Old Posted May 2, 2008, 8:10 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

I also hope that the Marriott has retail, it will be important to tie Congress Avenue with the Second Street Retail District. I think more developers are finally getting it through their heads or at least most of them, that having retail in the center of the city definatly helps espcially with the people that are moving into the area. Most of the historic buildings that are along Congress once were the centerpiece of retail years ago before they were made into offices. This is starting to change as they renovate them back to retail again.

Old Posted May 9, 2008, 5:35 PM
Meh

Yet more retail coming to downtown, this time it's the 2nd Street District.

By the way, check out the readers' comments at Statesman.com.

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/conte...ores_comi.html

Five new furniture stores coming to downtown Second Street district

By Melanie Spencer | Friday, May 9, 2008, 11:21 AM

The downtown Austin Second Street shopping and restaurant district is adding five more retailers, including several high-end international stores, this summer.

AMLI, the company that manages the district, said the leases were signed this week.

The new stores include Ligne Roset, the French retailer of contemporary design furnishings; Essenze, a New Zealand company that sells modern furniture, lighting and housewares; and Hästens,a Swedish company that sells beds, mattresses, pillows, comforters, infant bedding and children’s accessories.

BoConcept is a Danish chain that sells what it describes as “affordable” modern and contemporary pieces. The Austin franchise is owned by Hugh Landis, a transplant from San Diego.

Austinite Jeff Kirk will offer high-quality vintage furniture at his store, called simply Kirk.

Old Posted May 9, 2008, 6:16 PM

I guess everyone really loved Liberty Lunch.

Old Posted May 9, 2008, 6:48 PM

I wish we could see a little more diversification down on 2nd. Right now the major themes seem to be sporting goods, furniture, dining and womens clothing with just a few other one offs mixed in.

Old Posted May 9, 2008, 7:55 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

Too bad its all high end....I had lunch at that place that you can walk up to under AMLI 1 a few months back, and the price for lunch was outrageous! Ive decided that I like Austin except for downtown (save for a few bars)....its become overly stuffy and pretentious in my opinion...very Dallas-esque.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin