HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Feb 23, 2007, 4:57 PM

Waller Creek Tunnel

Interesting way of paying it off; a huge boon for Downtown's East Side:

Austin and Travis County ready to unite on Waller Creek tunnel
Cost-sharing deal will revive dormant tunnel plans.

By Kate Alexander

Friday, February 23, 2007

The Waller Creek tunnel, stymied for almost a decade by rising costs, is back on track now that Travis County appears ready to help Austin pay for the $124 million flood control project.

Travis County commissioners gave the city's latest financing proposal a friendly reception at a nonvoting session Thursday, which left Austin City Council Members Sheryl Cole and Betty Dunkerley optimistic that a partnership will be forged in the coming weeks.

Commissioner Gerald Daugherty said it was a no-brainer for the county to participate.

"It is such a good deal, you go: 'Are you serious?' " Daugherty quipped. "It is a pretty sweet project for us."

To win the county's participation, Austin made the commissioners a risk-free offer.

The two entities would create a taxing district along the downtown Waller Creek corridor to pay for the tunnel, which is expected to foster economic growth in the area.

Property owners within the district will pay the same tax rate as everyone else in the city. But once the Waller Creek Tax Increment Finance district is created, much of the new property tax revenue from that area will be dedicated to paying off the debt used to build and operate the tunnel.

Over 20 years, Austin will put all of the new property tax revenue from the district toward the project, and Travis County will contribute half of its take from the area. The other half of the county tax money, estimated to be almost $61 million over the duration, will go to its general operating fund. That money pays for the criminal justice system, roads and other basic functions.

If construction costs rise or the expected development does not happen, Austin will cover the gap. The city will pay for the last 10 years of the 30-year debt alone.

"This project is important enough for us to get done that we're willing to take that risk," said John Stephens, the city's chief financial officer.

Austin voters approved $25 million in bonds to build the tunnel in 1998, but that amount proved far too small. Since that time, the project design and its financing have been repeatedly reconfigured to find a solution.

It appears the stars have now aligned.

As downtown undergoes a renaissance, the blighted Waller Creek corridor will be ripe for development. That development can then pay for the tunnel to control the flooding.

Without the tunnel, more than 40 buildings and countless people would be threatened in the event of a 100-year flood, which has a 1 percent chance of occurring in any year. In January, emergency workers had to rescue a man trapped in the rushing waters of Waller Creek. He had jumped in to save a woman who was swept away.

With the tunnel, the water level could be controlled to ensure a clean, constant flow and provide an amenity similar to San Antonio's River Walk, city officials say. The plan does not include money for trails or other infrastructure along the creek.

The changed composition of the commissioners court also opened the door for the deal. Karen Sonleitner, the county's most vocal tunnel skeptic, lost her re-election bid. Her successor, Commissioner Sarah Eckhardt, endorsed the project and the partnership.

"This seems to be the best and frankly only" option, Eckhardt said.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2007, 5:54 PM

The idea that we can make a Riverwalk out of this thing depends on us better managing the often agressive homeless population currently residing in and around the creek. I don't know how San Antonio does/did it, but I've never been hassled in ten times on the Riverwalk; but it's impossible to go very far in Waller Creek without a range of interactions ranging from merely smelling to actually having to fend off panhandlers.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2007, 9:29 PM

South Congress used to have hookers and/or dealers walking the street. Change on the creek is inevitable, although I think turning it into a riverwalk is slightly agressive. better to make it a trail used for exercise (both day and night) and keep the retail on the street - this has always been my problem with the riverwalk. get above it, on the street, and things are dead.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2007, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad707 View Post
better to make it a trail used for exercise (both day and night) and keep the retail on the street - this has always been my problem with the riverwalk. get above it, on the street, and things are dead.
good point. I'll bet that is because access is so limited. IMO, if left as exercise trail only, it will still retain the current problems. Integrating it with the street level activity would be the best of both worlds.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2007, 5:05 AM
Meh

Here's an update. Click on the link below to view pictures of the area including a map and even a conceptual plan.

From the Austin American-Statesman
http://www.statesman.com/news/conten.../24waller.html

Has Waller Creek Tunnel's time come?
Flood control project could move forward with city and county cost-sharing plan.

By Kate Alexander
AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Saturday, March 24, 2007

The Waller Creek tunnel has been touted as a panacea for many of downtown Austin's development ills.

The project is expected to control flooding, improve water quality, bridge east and west, and turn a ditch into a gurgling stream for all to enjoy, Austin officials say. The clock on fulfilling all of those promises could start on Tuesday when the Travis County commissioners are scheduled to vote on a cost-sharing agreement.

Commissioners have indicated that they support the proposal, as have City Council members.

"The vision is big," said City Council Member Sheryl Cole, who has worked to revive the long-stalled project since joining the council last year.

But the vision is expensive, too. The plan to pay for the $124 million tunnel is based upon $3.7 billion worth of new development rising near the creek by 2027, up from the current property value of $170 million. The hefty price tag is one of the reasons the project has been stalled until a recent proposal by the city.

As part of a deal with Travis County, Austin assumes all the financial risk if that development does not materialize or costs rise even higher, as they have substantially since voters approved $25 million worth of bonds to build the tunnel in 1998.

Cole said it is a risk worth taking because the conditions are right — a booming economy, the downtown renaissance and the focus on high-value, dense development — and the potential benefits are great. She said the long-term property value estimate is reasonable and has been thoroughly examined by outside consultants.

Waller Creek has long been a bane for downtown boosters. They say it is ugly and unsafe and has stymied growth in the southeast portion of downtown while the rest of the central area has flourished.

The tunnel idea was hatched more than a decade ago as a way to control flooding along the creek, where as recently as January a woman was washed away in a torrent and is presumed dead.

The project aims to redirect floodwater during storms so that it does not soak the downtown land.

During storms, a wide inlet in Waterloo Park would catch floodwater and send it down a 70-foot vertical drop. The water would then flow through a subway-sized tunnel that runs to Town Lake beneath Sabine Street. It would take about six years to complete the design and construction of the project.

The tunnel would keep the water in the creek bed at a steady level below five feet and safely within the banks. Today, the water can rise more than 15 feet in some places. About 40 buildings, including the Austin Police Department, and 12 roads are susceptible to flooding during severe storms.

When the weather is dry, Town Lake water would be circulated up the tunnel and down the creek to produce a clean and constant stream.

"When we know the flooding is not a threat, the dollars are going to flow down there," said Perry Lorenz, a longtime tunnel advocate.

Lorenz and his business partner Robert Knight own three corners at Red River and Cesar Chavez streets, portions of which are in the flood plain and are prime locations for redevelopment.

Knight said all the properties in the flood plain are readily developable with or without the tunnel. But development would be easier and the final product would be enhanced by a clear flowing stream and pedestrian features.

Stubb's Bar-B-Q, which is along the creek, is planning a major expansion that would be simplified because the tunnel project would remove the property from the flood plain, said Jeff Waughtal, managing partner of Stubb's.

Waughtal said that the project is an "obvious and intelligent" endeavor because it would enhance what is already there and make the area more accessible.

Property owners along East Sixth Street are "jumping for joy" about the potential redevelopment, said Josh Allen, executive director of the Pecan Street Owners Association.

"You have the ability to make Austin an even more dynamic downtown than it already is and accentuate Austin's historic gem, which is East Sixth Street," Allen said.

The plan has inspired colorful dreams of a pedestrian-friendly corridor featuring a hip version of San Antonio's River Walk that links three city parks. Improvements also are planned in Waterloo Park and at Town Lake, where an amphitheater and floating stage would add a new music venue to the downtown scene.

"We haven't seen an amenity of this magnitude for our entire city for a long, long time," Cole said. "A downtown Austin waterway will put us on the map as a vibrant, urban city for generations to come."

The existing Waller Creek trail and other public land would ensure access to the waterway, but money for building the walkway is not part of the current financing plan nor is there a concrete plan to pay for it with private money.

But Lorenz said the lack of public money will not be an obstacle.

"You create that water amenity and the private sector is going to jump all over that," Lorenz said.

Austin has asked Travis County to create a joint tax increment financing district; much of the property tax revenue from that district would be dedicated to paying off the tunnel project's debt over 20 years.

If approved, the district would encompass the properties on either side of the creek between 12th Street and Town Lake as well as the Rainey Street area, where intense redevelopment is already under way.

Under the proposal, Travis County would put in half of its take within the district to the debt for 20 years; Austin would dedicate all of its tax revenue for the same period and still be responsible for some debt at the end of the term.

Property owners would pay the same amount of property tax to the city and county as they would without the financing district. But much of the money would go to the debt rather than the government's operating fund.

Travis County Judge Sam Biscoe said Austin's proposal means that the county will get the benefit of the economic development without taking any of the risk.

"We can deal with that," Biscoe said.

Laura Morrison, president of the Austin Neighborhoods Council, does not believe the financing plan is the best way to pay for the project. The landowners along the creek should bear more of the cost "since they are going to enjoy such a huge increase in value," Morrison said.

Without the tunnel, supporters say the area will never reach its development potential, so dedicating the property tax that comes from that development is justified.

"You are bringing additional tax base that you could not do in any other way," Allen said. "As all boats rise together, then everyone pays their fair share."

Old Posted Mar 24, 2007, 9:50 AM

great post Kevin. Thanks for the update

Old Posted Mar 24, 2007, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Laura Morrison, president of the Austin Neighborhoods Council, does not believe the financing plan is the best way to pay for the project. The landowners along the creek should bear more of the cost "since they are going to enjoy such a huge increase in value," Morrison said.
This argument could be made about any public investment, parks, roads, libraries, etc. It doesn't seem like strong point. The investment in this project is going to serve a lot of people, yes, it will directly impact the business owners along this property, but it other nearby businesses will enjoy the increased foot traffic as well. East Austin will also become more recognized, because people will start to venture down this way. The increased sales tax would help pay for this already. Of course I have not run financials, but this increase should offset some costs. If anything, maybe an extra cent can be applied to sales tax in this area. That way people who are enjoying it can help pay for it.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2007, 6:49 PM

Lots of good thoughts here. I have often wondered if it should really be like SA. I would want something where the street level connects more to the creek level. I do think it should be a part of the trail/hike/bike system. Perhaps one side could be dedicated to that.? Not sure how all that would play together. And from that point of view..... I think that while buisnesses along there will benefit.... it, perhaps should be viewed as a public works project. I tend to agree, at least at this point, with what JAM says on this...

Old Posted Mar 26, 2007, 9:59 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Don't get me wrong I'm all for parks and hike and bike trails but Austin already has tones of parks with hike and bike trails, what with Town lake, even Shoal Creek on the west side of downtown. I think it would be a good thing to have something alittle different with Waller Creek, I don't want to copy the river walk in SA either but something that is uniquely Austin. I love that amphitheater Idea that would be great.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2007, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Don't get me wrong I'm all for parks and hike and bike trails but Austin already has tones of parks with hike and bike trails, what with Town lake, even Shoal Creek on the west side of downtown. I think it would be a good thing to have something alittle different with Waller Creek, I don't want to copy the river walk in SA either but something that is uniquely Austin. I love that amphitheater Idea that would be great.
Yup..... got cha..... don't disagree.....

Old Posted Mar 27, 2007, 7:42 PM

Waller Creek tunnel gets first go-ahead
AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
Tuesday, March 27, 2007

The Travis County Commissioners voted today to help the City of Austin pay for the $124 million Waller Creek tunnel, a flood control project on the east end of downtown.

The tunnel, which has been delayed for almost a decade because of rising costs, is expected to open a large swath of downtown to redevelopment.

As part of a deal with Travis County, Austin assumes all the financial risk if development to support the venture does not materialize or costs rise even higher, as they have substantially since voters approved $25 million worth of bonds to build the tunnel in 1998.

The city still has to give final approval to the plan, but council members have expressed support.

The plan has inspired colorful dreams of a pedestrian-friendly corridor featuring a hip version of San Antonio's River Walk that links three city parks. Improvements also are planned in Waterloo Park and at Town Lake, where an amphitheater and floating stage would add a new music venue to the downtown scene.

Today's vote helps create a joint tax increment financing district; much of the property tax revenue from that district would be dedicated to paying off the tunnel project's debt over 20 years.

The district will encompass the properties on either side of the creek between 12th Street and Town Lake as well as the Rainey Street area, where intense redevelopment is already under way.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2007, 8:00 PM

Some Waller Info...

http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/watershed/waller_fs.htm

Anyone know exactly what the definition of a "joint tax increment financing district" is? Sounds like some sort of PoliticoSpeak

Some cool images from an old Austin Chron article:

http://www.austinchronicle.com/issue...llercreek.html

Last edited by JAM; Mar 27, 2007 at 8:11 PM. Reason: Add images

Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 1:12 AM
Meh

I heard that the area of land that would be opened to redevelopment is 27 acres. That's a lot of land considering a single block can be between 1 and 2 acres.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 4:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I heard that the area of land that would be opened to redevelopment is 27 acres. That's a lot of land considering a single block can be between 1 and 2 acres.
The above Chron link says: "The tunnel would shrink Lower Waller's 100-year floodplain, which currently includes property up to four blocks away, down to the current banks of the creek itself. It would not, however, eliminate all flooding within Waller Creek, as the civil engineers in San Antonio have made possible on the Riverwalk; during big storms, as much as 10 feet of water will end up in the narrowest reaches of Lower Waller, such as between Sixth and Fourth streets."

Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 1:48 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM
...Anyone know exactly what the definition of a "joint tax increment financing district" is? Sounds like some sort of PoliticoSpeak...
No, actually it's a pretty cool thing...Tax increment financing (TIF) funds are allocated to a designated project area from a rise in the tax revenue generated by the increased value of the properties located within the project area. The TIF revenue provides a cash flow to fund public improvements on a year-by-year basis, and/or amortize bonds which have been issued to capitalize development programs within the renewal area. Priority has been given to utilize income to develop projects on a "pay-as-you-go" basis.

In other words, a TIF is a way for governments (usually municipal authorities) to help finance new capital projects by taking advantage of expected property tax returns. A city, for example, may designate as a TIF district a plot of land that is planned to be redeveloped. Then the city can borrow against expected increased tax revenues to build infrastructure such as sewers and transportation services.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM
Some cool images from an old Austin Chron article:

Those look like the images which were made public back in 1997-1998 when the idea of a Waller Creek tunnel was first floated. I'm not sure if anyone has any "current" renderings other than the City's amphletheatre idea.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 1:53 PM
Member since 2001

Travis County agrees to Waller Creek tunnel project

By Kimberly Reeves
IN FACT DAILY
March 28, 2007

Travis County Commissioners – with nothing to lose and little on the line in terms of risk – unanimously agreed to participate in the Waller Creek Tunnel project on Tuesday.

The $124 million project, which will be underwritten by bonds and a tax-increment finance district, will take one million square feet of land out of the flood plain on the eastern edge of downtown and create a new downtown amenity. Council Member Sheryl Cole, who has championed the project since she took office last summer, called it “a new living room for downtown Austin,” one that would create a missing link in the 21-mile trail system and spur new downtown development.

Commissioners could find little to complain about in the project. Commissioner Margaret Gomez praised the flood control aspects of the project. County Judge Sam Biscoe spoke of the additions to the tax roll. And Commissioner Gerald Daugherty agreed the county faced little, if any, risk in the deal the way it was structured.

“I wish people would bring us these kind of deals all day long,” Daugherty said. “Because I do think this will be an economic boom.”

Commissioners approved the project unanimously. After the vote, Cole said the interlocal agreement between city and county should take about six weeks. The Council is expected to give final approval next week. Then the city will have to figure out whether to bid the project or go with existing engineers. The city could break ground on the tunnel project as soon as this summer.

“I’m very excited. This is a great day for Austin, to bring a downtown waterway for the entire city to enjoy. We hope that it will be a public amenity for generations to come,” Cole said. “Downtown has been called the living room of Austin and sometimes I call it the den, because it is where we come to play. And even if you don’t live or work downtown, you definitely come downtown to play.”

Over the life of the 20-year life of the deal, Travis County will hand over $71 million in incremental tax increases as land along the creek is developed. But, as Biscoe pointed out, that’s $71 million in taxes the county wouldn’t be seeing without the tunnel project. The county also gets to keep another $71 million in taxable revenue, since the county has committed only half of any incremental tax increases over the life of the deal.

And, according to the deal, the county is only on the hook for the taxes it collects. If the value of the property along the creek is less than expected, the county pays less. Leroy Nellis of Travis County’s Planning and Budget Office, who reviewed the numbers, said he was satisfied that the county was properly protected in the city-county deal.

Commissioners did have questions. Gomez wanted to make sure the senior citizens in the affordable housing next door to the Four Seasons would not be displaced in the name of development. Commissioner Sarah Eckhardt wanted a clear picture of what the tax dollars would, and would not, fund. While the county will pick up part of the tunnel price, it will be city and parkland dedication fees that will spruce up the parks.

And Commissioner Ron Davis alluded to the fact that not everyone was on board with the project. Jeff Jack, who served in former Council Member Beverly Griffith’s office, was on hand at Tuesday’s meeting and pointed out the city could easily resolve the issue on far less money, simply by buying up land along Waller Creek, just as the city did when it went to address the mid-80s flooding that occurred on Shoal Creek.

Austin already has one of the most significant water amenities in the state – Town Lake – one that could easily bear more fruit for the city. He suggested that it would be far wiser to create a public improvement district – a district that charged fees to local landowners – in order to fund improvements. In that case, the people who would benefit the most from the project would be the ones to pay for the improvements, and the additional tax revenues could be used, rightfully, for other city improvements.

The city’s Chief Financial Officer, John Stephens, agreed the city had looked at the Waller Creek project as a PID. It might have worked at a cost of five or 10 cents valuation. But at a cost of 60 cents per hundred dollars value, on top of downtown’s existing public improvement district, it’s unlikely that the city could get 51 percent of the landowners along the creek to agree to such a fee. Biscoe also argued that Waller Creek would exist as a public, as well as private, amenity for downtown residents, one that would yield tax dollars for the city.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 9:33 PM

Should have done it a long time ago, would have saved more money. Its still going to be pretty awesome that Austin will have yet another tourist destination.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 6:20 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

This is going to be pretty exciting, can't wait to see construction started.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 6:23 PM

Sweetness:

http://web.mac.com/jamesgstuart/iWeb...r%20Trail.html

From the Chronicle blog:

Whitewater Rafting Though Downtown – Now There's a Parking Solution

How awesome is that?

We might have written the Waller Creek Whitewater Trail Web site off as a joke if there wasn't so much information and earnestness therein. Deliverance comparisons be damned, the site creators write, "The Waller Creek Whitewater Trail would become another of Austin’s showcase attractions. … It is technically achievable and economically practical. It would make use of the forty feet of drop along the channel to produce Class II Whitewater. It leverages the Waller Creek Tunnel Projects’ plan to pump water from Town Lake up to Waterloo Park - to flow back downstream."

Not to mention, it would make Sheryl Cole's goal of east-west interconnectedness a reality. A brutally fast and wet reality.

While you're there, check out the kinda-awesome Photoshop renderings of this would-be urban whitewater trail. Also, there's a heartfelt (if slightly painful) music video for your enjoyment.

At first I was ready to snark this off, but the more I think about it, the better it sounds. (In a kinda Napoleon Dynamite way, that is: "Downtown's cool, but you know what would make it better? Whitewater rafting!")

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 8:09 PM

Does anyone know what 127M will buy us? Is it only a tunnel? what kind of tunnel are we talking about? Will this be an open channel, will underground drainage lines? Will it include sidewalks and pedestrian bridges, or does that come later? To rephrase, exactly what is the definition of a tunnel in relationship to this project?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin