HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 3:11 PM

Wow. That looks great. Will the podium stay white all night or will it be rainbow colors like the spire? I've heard / seem both.

Also, it looks like we may see the last of the parapet tower glass installed today, at worst tomorrow. Exterior wise all that leaves is the removal of the construction elevator (once Conde Nast completes build out) and glass installation, as well as final glass installation for the base. It's hard to believe this building is finally in the home stretch!

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumz0rz View Post
Wow. That looks great. Will the podium stay white all night or will it be rainbow colors like the spire? I've heard / seem both.

Also, it looks like we may see the last of the parapet tower glass installed today, at worst tomorrow. Exterior wise all that leaves is the removal of the construction elevator (once Conde Nast completes build out) and glass installation, as well as final glass installation for the base. It's hard to believe this building is finally in the home stretch!
I know!!! They're full speed ahead. Looking forward to a ground-level shot of the lit base!

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 3:48 PM
weidncol

Please keep in mind that was just a test yesterday. I don't know when it will be permanent, but it will be soon.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
The people who like it as is don't understand that, they're just happy for anything.
Of course. What other reason could they have for not agreeing with your endless whining. There must be something seriously lacking in anyone who's satisfied with the tower.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 6:51 PM

Was around the neighborhood today and here is some quick clips of 1wtc !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECPKq3Q8Js0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaOH51FVNWs

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGnome View Post
Of course. What other reason could they have for not agreeing with your endless whining. There must be something seriously lacking in anyone who's satisfied with the tower.
That's correct. The tower is crap. It's a bland, boring icicle in honor of late-stage soulless global capitalism. It's got a gigantic toothpick, radically out of proportion to the building below it, stuck on top. It sucks. It speaks not at all to what happened on 9/11. It speaks only to the making of money.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 9:15 PM
DENNAB

I think the building is pretty cool itself, and if it weren't for the top it would look really cool.

For what it's replacing it definitely falls a little short... but then again the people behind this whole redevelopment were incompetent jackasses so what do you expect? It could, however, have ended up far FAR worse (aka libeskinds original pile of horseshit)

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 10:17 PM

by Earthcam

Almost there!

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 11:58 PM
Jeez Louise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy1991 View Post
by Earthcam

Almost there!

Why does it look like there's a gap between the top and the angular pieces below it? I don't think any other parts fit into that gap do they?

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaniel View Post
Why does it look like there's a gap between the top and the angular pieces below it? I don't think any other parts fit into that gap do they?
I was thinking the same, i think when its all done they lower it a bit.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 1:34 AM

I really dislike this building. I cannot stand the 20 floor podium, spire, andvmrchanical floors. Wish the roof height was 1776 and 110+ floors along with a real spire.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 1:47 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIA View Post
I really dislike this building. I cannot stand the 20 floor podium, spire, andvmrchanical floors. Wish the roof height was 1776 and 110+ floors along with a real spire.
Luckily we already have 2 taller buildings in the works, someday NY will get what it deserves.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 4:33 AM

©ILNY

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 4:57 AM

l was wondering if 55 and 45 Broad street are merged how much taller theoretically than One World Trade would it be?

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 8:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ditnow View Post
That's correct. The tower is crap. It's a bland, boring icicle in honor of late-stage soulless global capitalism. It's got a gigantic toothpick, radically out of proportion to the building below it, stuck on top. It sucks. It speaks not at all to what happened on 9/11. It speaks only to the making of money.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 12:55 PM
Sukaitsuri

I agree that the spire/antenna is out of proportion.

A normal proportion of an antenna should be less than 1/5 of the height of the rooftop. Whereas here, it is a third of the height of 417m.

And I still can't accept the idea that 1WTC is considered as taller than Taipei 101 in the skyscrapers chart. Taipei 101 has a consistant spire, fully a part of the tower. 1WTC has just a long piece of iron, absolutely not part of the structure of the tower.

Another proff is that the spire/antenna of 1WTC has been assembled like Lego bricks, putting 15 or 16 pieces one upon another. That's not what I call a "part of the structure".

Sorry for complaining again... Just wanted to say that this tower is gorgeous but only from the base to the rooftop.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ditnow View Post
Well to be fair, NYC is many things, but "soulless global capitalism" and "making money" are pretty much NYC's central tenants. Sure there are mixed cultures and unique communities, but at heart, people come to NY to make lots of money, and in that respect, it fits in perfectly with NYC.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 5:44 PM

TIME released a special issue on 1 WTC today. Included is a gigapanorama from the spire and two short films, one of the iron workers and one of the process of making the panorama on the spire.

1 World Trade Center: TIME

Here's a few screenshots from the videos.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 7:33 PM

Thank you for posting animatedmartian! The gigapanorama is so seamless I absolutely love it, and I can't wait for the observation floors to open! What a view!

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 11:09 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

yeah the pano-pic that is the wraparound cover of time is prettyfreakinamazin.com

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive