HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 11:50 PM

Holy crap. I pass that site every day on my way to school (except I graduate in a month so I won't anymore )

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JurassicPhilly View Post
Yes but many older buildings actually don't seem dated in the way that City Hall does. But I realize these are aesthetic opinions and it's a bit silly to argue about them.

Anyway, I just don't like the building. I would redesign it if it were up to me. But of course it isn't.
redesign it! As in cover it with nice flat glass? Aluminum siding? Please, take yourself outside and do damage to yourself. After you're done with City Hall what's next, the Art Museum? Christ Church?-----

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 12:40 PM

I didn't see them turn the LOVE Park fountain on yesterday but they have some of the drain grates off this morning.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diavolo View Post
I didn't see them turn the LOVE Park fountain on yesterday but they have some of the drain grates off this morning.

That looks awful. That's all there is to it. Plant more trees, get a better fountain.

Save the SS United States!

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 1:24 PM

Re North Broad Street, here's what that site looks like now. This would be a dramatic transformation.

https://goo.gl/maps/81B7nGkNqYA2

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 1:38 PM

It was hard to understand how big the fountain area would be based on the renderings. With the way it came out did we really need this much area dedicated to bland gray bricks, especially with Dilworth across the street. The renderings show trees basically around the entire park perimeter. There are a few baby trees along arch. I hope they still have more to plant. Fundamentally, it looks like they planted very young/short trees and the render shows more mature 20-40 ft trees.

Are we looking at a fundamental construction issue with the drainage. The flow of water seems to indicate a pretty good grade towards Arch.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
That's gorgeous. Absolutely perfect North Broad infill. I would not be surprised if it never gets built.
Too many double negatives. Are you saying you dont think it's going to be built?

I agree too on design. Shows how simple it is to design a decent building. Awnings, simple materials, a set back with greenery and boxes to soften it. It's why the Zuritsky nightmare at 12th and Arch when he cried poor about hotel costs drives me nuts.

https://goo.gl/maps/WHceCoTjo2B2

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
Too many double negatives. Are you saying you dont think it's going to be built?

I agree too on design. Shows how simple it is to design a decent building. Awnings, simple materials, a set back with greenery and boxes to soften it. It's why the Zuritsky nightmare at 12th and Arch when he cried poor about hotel costs drives me nuts.

https://goo.gl/maps/WHceCoTjo2B2
So true. Keep it simple, it goes a long way.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Saturn64 View Post
That looks awful. That's all there is to it. Plant more trees, get a better fountain.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/philly....-center-philly

“But now it’s in the home stretch, and Crandall urges passers-by to be patient. Over the next month, officials will be testing the fountain, finishing up work on the benches and moving more furniture and plants into the area.

“We urge folks to take a minute and hold off on judgement,” Crandall said, addressing criticism on the way the development looks now. “it’s a process to develop a park.”

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 4:50 PM

I'm sure the plan is to add more greenery as the weather improves.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 4:54 PM

^^^ They better get planting quick though lol, this needs a lot more greenery imo and in order to stay somewhat true to the rendering.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 5:04 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Now is the time to do it to take advantage of mother nature's cool and wet weather. Definitely needs more trees and shrubs. That huge piece of hardscape is just sucking the life out of the "park". They should of incorporated permanent seating into the landscape plan like Dilworth Plaza, but I guess that wasn't in the budget.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 5:14 PM

If you haven't walked Love Park, I recommend it. These pictures posted here don't show much. Just part of one lawn and the fountain area. That's 1/4 of the park. Other than the fountain, it is not bad. And they are still planting. The trees will grow. There is also permanent seating there, so I'm not sure what that comment is supposed to mean.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
If you haven't walked Love Park, I recommend it. These pictures posted here don't show much. Just part of one lawn and the fountain area. That's 1/4 of the park. Other than the fountain, it is not bad. And they are still planting. The trees will grow. There is also permanent seating there, so I'm not sure what that comment is supposed to mean.
Glad to hear it, I have not walked by it myself.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 5:46 PM

Second Philadelphia Navy Yard hotel planned in aged barracks

Quote:
During the Philadelphia Navy Yard’s military days, the historic barracks east of what’s now a gleaming modern business park at the sprawling former base’s core were home to U.S. Marines who guarded the facility.

Soon the barracks’ spartan chambers may become fancy guest rooms.
Ensemble Investments LLC, the Phoenix-based owner of the Navy Yard’s existing Courtyard by Marriott hotel, is under contract to buy the trio of red brick Colonial Revival-style structures from the city for about $1.5 million, with plans to resurrect the U-shaped complex into a 230-room four-star hotel.

The plan, expected to cost $100.9 million, comes amid business growth at the Navy Yard that’s stoking demand for hotel stays and would be the latest move toward expanding the former South Philadelphia military base beyond its existing identity as a corporate, industrial and research park.

“This caters to a different group of people who are not attracted right now to the Navy Yard. They want higher-end rooms, they want a full-service hotel, they want higher-end finishes, they want to have corporate meetings there,” Ensemble chairman Kam Babaoff said in an interview. “With the growing Navy Yard, the business is going to be there to support another hotel.”

Plans call for renovating the buildings’ existing 120,000 square feet of interior space and adding to them a 75,000-square-foot expansion. The buildings also will accommodate an 8,000-square-foot restaurant and bar that opens up to the Navy Yard’s landscaped Central Green park, as well as about 10,000 square feet of meeting rooms and other amenities.

The barracks complex, constructed between 1919 and 1942 to house the former base’s security detail, stands on the southern edge of the Central Green just outside the Navy Yard Corporate Center, a cluster of new buildings developed mostly by Liberty Property Trust of Malvern.
More: http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...-20180420.html

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 5:47 PM
Future World Dictator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
Agreed. I work really close to it so I walk by/through it all the time, and while I think it definitely needs some more work, it's still under construction! Let's wait a bit and see what the final result is in the next 2-3 months. Yes, it's taken a while, but that was (AFAIK) due to some unavoidable (and unexpected) difficulties with regards to the parking garage underneath.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelScottsOffice View Post
^^^ They better get planting quick though lol, this needs a lot more greenery imo and in order to stay somewhat true to the rendering.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
Now is the time to do it to take advantage of mother nature's cool and wet weather. Definitely needs more trees and shrubs. That huge piece of hardscape is just sucking the life out of the "park". They should of incorporated permanent seating into the landscape plan like Dilworth Plaza, but I guess that wasn't in the budget.
Jesus, have you guys been there? This forum's reactionary whisper down the lane is a bit head shaking at times.

1) There's tons of permanent seating and seating areas. The Fountain takes up about 1/5 of the park's square footage. They are quite a few benches, especially near the Love Statue and they are still in the process of building several more (they are imo quite nice: wood/metal/concrete combination). Today they were unpacking the same cafe style seating that they have at Dilworth (red tables and red folding chairs). Adjacent to the fountain they have a "grove" - 2 rows of maybe 12 trees total, that I'm assuming these tables/chairs will sit under for shade. Along one side of the fountain is an elevated curved portion that's probably 25 feet long, which is for seating as well.

2) There's TONS of greenery, but, ya know, it's not green yet b/c (in case you haven't been outside recently) it's been freaking freezing all spring. There are probably close to a dozen planting areas and gardens that are fully planted out - but nothing has bloomed/grown yet due to weather. It's going to look great and very green once everything is rooted.

3) The lawn isn't huge, but it's a decent size. It's say it's probably slightly larger than the Dilworth lawn. The sod is mostly down and it's being irrigated to take root.

4) The Space Saucer is totally windowless and basically stripped down to its studs on the inside. Having this sleek and modern is going to be an amazing addition.

My biggest complaint is the odd traffic triangle at the NE corner of 16th and JFK. It's about 10 feet from this brand new sculpted park and is in total disrepair: https://goo.gl/maps/oKpRekGFJDM2

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 6:01 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
Ok, many of us were going by the recent photos posted and as you have more fully laid out, it's not all inclusive of the things that were done or will be done as shown from that one angel of the photo. Will have to head over to check it soon then. Thank for the detail update.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 9:59 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
That was sarcasm. In any event, the site plan doesn't seem to have any parking at all, so there's a good chance it'll never get approved. Even though buildings of this type in this location shouldn't need to have mandatory parking requirements to begin with.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 2:55 PM

Do they need a tower crane for just adding a new roof?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development