HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimshady View Post
That's a disgrace honestly. We have had to wait so long and we get a spray fountain that floods the street and some tiny trees. We can do better than that. Also where is the seating?
There is seating in spots. And it's not finished yet (much of it is even still closed off). I think further benches will be added. But I agree that the fountain is a disgrace. They need to fix that shiz STAT.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
See, the problem here is that if you want to argue that, then you have to argue that ...

Montréal's city hall

Baltimore's city hall

St. Louis' Old Post Office

the Palais Garnier

the Monte Carlo

and the Brussels Stock Exchange

among many other buildings of the type are all also anachronistic, which is something of a hard pill to swallow since the vast majority of buildings of this type are widely considered beloved civic icons.
I'm only saying my use of the term wasn't incorrect. I don't dispute they (including City Hall ) are beloved icons. Anyway, I regret sidetracking this thread by making the comment about City Hall in the first place. Subject dropped.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
See, the problem here is that if you want to argue that, then you have to argue that ...

among many other buildings of the type are all also anachronistic, which is something of a hard pill to swallow since the vast majority of buildings of this type are widely considered beloved civic icons.
I think we should stop talking to this person. He non sequiturs "Am I the only one who thinks City Hall is ugly" - an all time troll move.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
There is seating in spots. And it's not finished yet (much of it is even still closed off). I think further benches will be added. But I agree that the fountain is a disgrace. They need to fix that shiz STAT.
I mean, could it just simply have been a windy day? Anyone who has spent time at Logan Fountain knows that on windy days, if you're in the path of the wind you are going to get drenched. I'll walk by later today or tomorrow and see if it's persisting.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
Temple's new library is pretty far along now.
Thanks for all the Temple area updates!

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
Thanks for all the Temple area updates!
No problem, my pleasure. It was overdue for an update.

Someone needs to document all the multi-family construction along Ridge and the rest of Francisville. It blows my mind how many units have been constructed in the last year or two.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
I mean, could it just simply have been a windy day? Anyone who has spent time at Logan Fountain knows that on windy days, if you're in the path of the wind you are going to get drenched. I'll walk by later today or tomorrow and see if it's persisting.
It wasn't very windy the two times I've walked by. When it was first turned on Tuesday it was worse than yesterday, some of the smaller fountains seemed to be pointing the wrong direction towards the walkways. I think I saw some workers yesterday morning, not sure if they changed anything but it seemed less leaky. Looking forward to seeing if its any better today, they seem to be turning it on for a few hours in the afternoon. It looks to be a combination of water making it around the catch drains and also the catch drains not able to keep up.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 3:46 PM

I am sure its just a matter of tweaking water flow, which they have control over.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 3:57 PM

I heard the plaza is out of plumb....

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 4:23 PM

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
I heard the plaza is out of plumb....
me too, in fact it's the counterbalancing effect from CTC's out-of-plumbness that tilted the substratum just enough to cause what we're seeing

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 5:00 PM
Philly Pholly

Is the water on the sidewalk coming from the spray of the fountain or is it actually overflowing into the street?

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
No, the Plaza slants downward to 16th, and it looks to be a tiny, ineffective drain. Walked through today. Took pictures but don't have time to load at this moment. I expect they need to fix the drain or erect some kind of barrier. Rather than employing a larger drain, it could make sense to erect a short wall from the same stone that forms the outside wall to the fountain circle area. In a u shape that is behind the drain and follow the U shape of the drain. People would still be able to walk straight through the broader fountain area from 15th to 16th on either side.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 7:34 PM

Philadelphia hits record overseas visitation in 2017 & meetings, conventions generate nearly $600M
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...sts-china.html

Quote:
About 648,000 overseas visitors came to Philadelphia in 2017 — a new high for the city
Tourism Economics projects a 22.2 percent growth from 2017 to 2022 in overseas travelers to Philadelphia. There was 9 percent growth from 2012 to 2017
International visitors represent 15 percent of hotel room demand in Philadelphia, according to Sacks.
Meetings, Conventions, Sporting Events:
Quote:
802,000 attendees, 1.1 million hotel room nights, $207 million in hotel room revenue
Quote:
Center City hotels in 2017 hit a record 78.2 percent occupancy figure, up slightly from the 78 percent in 2016, according to STR data. The 78.2 percent figure was the highest occupancy in 70 years. Hotels hit the 78.2 percent figure despite a 4.5 percent increase in the number of hotel rooms, a result of six new hotels that includes the AKA University City.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova08 View Post
Philadelphia hits record overseas visitation in 2017 & meetings, conventions generate nearly $600M
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...sts-china.html
Need to keep building hotels as the people are coming

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 9:21 PM

Dear lenders, please call Dranoff.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 9:27 PM

Checking last months CDR results:

2500 E. Tioga St
1102-1148 N 2nd St
1102-1134 Germantown Ave
1 Leverington Ave

All passed/completed

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 9:52 PM

More on North Broad, overbuild at 906-916 N Broad, just north of Poplar.

On May CDR calendar:
http://www.phila.gov/CityPlanning/pr...4-12%20CDR.pdf

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 10:58 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

That's gorgeous. Absolutely perfect North Broad infill. I would not be surprised if it never gets built.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtownFriend View Post
More on North Broad, overbuild at 906-916 N Broad, just north of Poplar.

On May CDR calendar:
http://www.phila.gov/CityPlanning/pr...4-12%20CDR.pdf

We need a LOT more of that along North Broad! I recently saw a new zoning notice on the seafood place (the Family Dollar had an older one hanging in its window), so this must be the result of that. Wow! There's also a zoning permit in the vacant lot next to Uhuru Funiture on Broad and Parrish, so I'm hoping that also moves forward.

There's so much energy building up both north and south of Girard Avenue. I hope a developer can acquire a lot on any corner of Broad and Girard and develop it. The land use around the BSL station (an all-stop for local, express, and Ridge-Spur trains) is pitiful. Even a 10-story midrise would dramatically change that corner. The building on the SE corner isn't as autocentric as the other three corners; however, it could use an overbuild.

Temple University '18 ']['

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development