HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

520 West 41 Street in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 18, 2014, 5:33 PM

Apropos of the Christian Sabbath Day, I give you "The Serenity Prayer of the Anti-Nimby":

"Lord,

Grant me the serenity to avoid the temptation to throw a brick upside a NIMBY cranium,

Otherwise

The courage to do so,
both with the largest-sized available implement conducive to making my point,
as well as an act of genuine concern for my wayward neighbor,

But in either case,

The wisdom to either calculate how full of shit they really are,
Or at least
feel sorry for how many bricks they've taken upside *either their own or each other's heads*
---never mind those thrown by anyone else---
that would leave their critical thinking skills as half-dead as they are."

Last edited by JayPro; May 19, 2014 at 3:29 PM. Reason: Grammar Nazism...:)

Old Posted May 18, 2014, 7:22 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Because it's what they do. The issues of the community are often the issues of planning.

I guess, but why aren't the NIMBY's throwing a fit about the other ten supertalls rising in that immediate area? Why does it seem to be all this one getting the attention and that they actually might listen to their bitching?

I wanna see another 1100 foot building dammit

Old Posted May 19, 2014, 12:44 AM
Mr. Technology

Only in NY will a 1,100 foot tower be the new norm!

Gotta love this project!

Old Posted May 19, 2014, 3:00 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
I guess, but why aren't the NIMBY's throwing a fit about the other ten supertalls rising in that immediate area? Why does it seem to be all this one getting the attention and that they actually might listen to their bitching?
It is currently the farthest north supertall proposal in the west side, but there was always going to be tall proposal(s) here.

Old Posted May 19, 2014, 12:50 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post

They did bitch when the Hudson Yards rezoning went through. That was years ago, and those towers are now being built as-of-right. Here, Silverstein seeks to change the zoning. It won't require a special permit, but its an action that the planning department has to approve.

Quote:
Silverstein is basically seeking to get a bump of residential from 30% of the development to 60% (taking commercial space from 70% to 40%). CB4 wants to make sure that 20% is affordable housing.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 21, 2014, 12:17 PM
New Yorker for life

This just won't die...and the stories are getting crossed. I blame YIMBY.

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-styl...icle-1.1799458

Larry Silverstein site spurs plan for two-tower bridged structure nearly as tall as Empire State Building
Oppenheim Architecture's proposal, one of six for W. 41st and 11th Ave., would dramatically reshape West Midtown skyline

The archway proposal is one of six solicited by Larry Silverstein for the site at W. 41st St.

BY Katherine Clarke
May 20, 2014

Quote:
This is no sticky wicket.

A Miami architecture firm has designed an iconic landmark on Manhattan’s Far West Side — two enormous towers bridged by thick horizontal segment that resemble a really large croquet gate.

Oppenheim Architecture + Design’s is the most eye-catching of about six proposals solicited by developer Larry Silverstein, who plans to build a giant mixed-use tower on the site at 514 11th Ave.

Silverstein is best known for the redevelopment of the World Trade Center site, but a tower like this could shift his legacy to the West Side.

At 1,100 feet, the structure would come close to the height of the Empire State Building.

Some neighborhood residents are begging the city to downsize the project, but Silverstein can built his tower as of right. Still, it’s no means a done deal.

The photos originally appeared on the New York YIMBY blog, a pro-development site whose name is a positive twist on the classic “Not in my back yard” acronym.

Oppenheim’s concept would create a truly groundbreaking project for the Far West Side, anchoring the architecturally barren neighborhood with a structure that is iconic,” said Nikolai Fedak, the site’s founder.

It’s unclear what Silverstein thinks of the design; his spokesman declined to comment.

But Silverstein, who is developing the site between 40th and 41st Sts. with Mercedes-Benz of Manhattan, is famously bullish on the market in Midtown West, despite his concentrated efforts at the World Trade Center.

He already has developed a pair of rental buildings, dubbed the Silver Towers, at 600 W. 42nd St., as well as the 1 River Place tower on 42nd St.

Silverstein is not the only one planting his flag in the area. Developers are betting that the upcoming Hudson Yards megaproject, a $20 billion residential and commercial development comprising 16 skyscrapers at the site of the West Side railyard in the West 30s, will bring large numbers of New Yorkers to live and work in the neighborhood. Real estate giant the Related Companies is heading the effort.

The Moinian Group, another seasoned developer, is building a 1,174-unit tower at 605 W. 42nd St.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 21, 2014, 1:11 PM

This is one of six proposals, are there any renders for the other 5?

Old Posted Jun 20, 2014, 8:09 PM

Last edited by De Minimis NY; Jun 20, 2014 at 8:12 PM. Reason: Posted in wrong thread - please delete

Old Posted Jun 20, 2014, 8:20 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I wish that was built. It reminds me of Ny's version of La Defense:

http://blog.kenkaminesky.com/wp-cont...-Defense-1.jpg

Old Posted Jun 21, 2014, 2:18 PM
Mr. Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post

The archway proposal is one of six solicited by Larry Silverstein for the site at W. 41st St.
Incredible design!
The all-glass facade looks very plain (specifically at the top).
Hopefully more renders will detail a better, more polished look.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2014, 1:48 PM
New Yorker for life

I'll have to read through this a bit, but it begins...

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/pdf/env_...scope_work.pdf

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/pdf/env_...t_41st/eas.pdf

Quote:
There will be an approximately 100 story tower

Last edited by NYguy; Jun 30, 2014 at 2:00 PM.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2014, 2:08 PM

If this is 100 floors than it will probably be much taller than 1,100 ft.

I guess we'll have to wait and see. At this point I've completely lost count of all the planned supertalls.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2014, 2:18 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
If this is 100 floors than it will probably be much taller than 1,100 ft.

I guess we'll have to wait and see. At this point I've completely lost count of all the planned supertalls.

It'll likely be 1,100 ft, due to the planning that has to be done for approval. The number of floors can vary.

I don't even keep up with the exact number of planned supertalls in the city anymore.

This building will be a lot taller than the surrounding buildings, but I don't think it overwhelms the neighborhood...

Old Posted Jun 30, 2014, 4:24 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

At first, I thought the 'approximately 100 floors' quote was referring to the ~10ft per floor heuristic that most people use, given the 1100ft height given. But no, the diagram shown clearly has more than 100 actual floors-104 to 106 depending on how some of the mechanical levels are counted.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2014, 5:52 PM

It's exciting to see a true 100 story residential tower for a change. I just hope the city approves it.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2014, 6:32 PM

Skipping that other 7 line stop does not look like a good idea right now.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2014, 6:36 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I think this will be approved easily. This will really dominate the area and complement the Hudson Yards. Over the last decade, 41-42nd street have made great strides expanding westward. Its one of the coolest canyons in all of Manhattan (42nd) from East to West.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2014, 11:59 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalziand View Post
At first, I thought the 'approximately 100 floors' quote was referring to the ~10ft per floor heuristic that most people use, given the 1100ft height given. But no, the diagram shown clearly has more than 100 actual floors-104 to 106 depending on how some of the mechanical levels are counted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
It's exciting to see a true 100 story residential tower for a change. I just hope the city approves it.

It'll be basically the height of the John Hancock Center in Chicago (minus the giant antennas). It'll be more like the current towers going up in the area than the supertall towers going up on "billionaires row", or 57th Street. Otherwise, the tower likely would have been taller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tectonic View Post
Skipping that other 7 line stop does not look like a good idea right now.
It was never a good idea, but...

Old Posted Jul 1, 2014, 12:27 AM
BANNED

This needs to get built.

And why is there so much retail? No offense but I don't see a big store setting up shop here in the foreseeable future.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2014, 12:33 AM
Mr. Technology

I'm more impressed by height than the total number of floors.

The floor-to-ceiling height may not be as tall as the towers along W. 57th Street, but if it makes some of you happy to have a 100+ floor tower, then I'm happy for you.

Personally, I like the design of this tower.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals