HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Closed Thread

Old Posted Dec 2, 2018, 9:51 PM

Now onto the Leafs Glad to see Nylander coming back. I had a feeling he would come back given how well they were playing without him. He was probably dying to jump back in. My only hope is that it doesn't somehow upset the apple cart.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2018, 10:31 PM

Patrik Laine named first star for the month of November.

FIRST STAR - PATRIK LAINE, RW, WINNIPEG JETS
Laine registered a League-leading 18 goals in 12 games (18-1-19) - the most by any NHL player in one calendar month since March 1994 (Pavel Bure: 19-11-30 in 16 GP w/ VAN) - to power the Jets (14-8-2, 30 points) to a 7-4-1 November. Laine scored in his eight of his 12 appearances, highlighted by a trio of hat tricks: Nov. 1 at FLA (3-0-3 in his native Finland as part of the 2018 NHL Global Series), Nov. 19 at VAN (3-0-3) and Nov. 24 at STL (5-0-5). The latter marked the 57th five-goal performance in League history as well as the first since Feb. 2, 2011 (Johan Franzen: 5-0-5 w/ DET). Laine, the No. 2 overall selection in the 2016 NHL Draft, reached the 100-goal milestone in his final contest of the month, Nov. 29 vs. CHI (2-0-2). At 20 years, 224 days, he became the fourth-youngest player in NHL history to score 100 career goals, behind only Wayne Gretzky (20 years, 40 days), Jimmy Carson (20 years, 116 days) and Brian Bellows (20 years, 179 days). The Tampere, Finland, native - who shares first place with 101 total goals since his League debut in 2016-17 (101-57-158 in 179 GP) - also ranks first in the NHL with 21 goals in 24 outings

https://www.nhl.com/news/patrik-lain...18/c-302488526

Old Posted Dec 2, 2018, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdog View Post
With all due respect you're the one who seems inexperienced. You revealed the extent of your hockey experience earlier when you argued with everyone that Pettersson was a 'generational player' based on the first half dozen hockey games of his career.
Not what I said, but whatever. Must talk about Leafs now.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2018, 11:45 PM

How do you guys feel about Edmonton and Calgary possibly moving to the central division when Seattle gets added to the mix?

Old Posted Dec 2, 2018, 11:56 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintzilla View Post
How do you guys feel about Edmonton and Calgary possibly moving to the central division when Seattle gets added to the mix?
If the NHL is looking at retaining the 4 division format I think it would make more sense to move Arizona to the Central. If you move both Alberta teams into the Central one other team has to come back to the Pacific. Colorado, I guess?

I really don't like the four division setup at times and I think the league should give serious consideration to reformatting the wildcard setup during the next CBA.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 12:11 AM

Speaking of Seattle, here's a good piece on the history of hockey in Seattle. Seattle is going to be a strong market, and a great rival for Vancouver.

https://www.seattletimes.com/subscri...ockey-history/

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Not what I said, but whatever. Must talk about Leafs now.
That's exactly what you said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintzilla View Post
That would unbalance the divisions and require moving another team back to compensate. I think it would be cool to have Edmonton Calgary and Winnipeg in the same division again, but it won't happen, Arizona will be the team that moves like JHikka said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Star View Post
Mikko koskinen was hugh in this win.
I think Talbot is going to get traded at the deadline.

Last edited by Calgarian; Dec 3, 2018 at 5:55 PM.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 5:52 PM

I think the Leafs made a bad call with Nylander, they are going to have to pay Marner and Matthews significantly more than they did Nylander, and I'm not sure they can afford that. They should have traded Nylander the second he stayed back from training camp.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 6:29 PM

He's more tradeable now than he was as an RFA holdout. Why would they not want him on a potential cup-run this year if the best offer in the market was someone like Pesce?

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 6:34 PM

The problem is that he set the floor for future negotiations, other players will be less likely to accept a bridge deal and will want the big contract now. I get why the Leafs did it, they want to take a run at the cup, but this will make the negotiations this summer even tougher.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 6:41 PM

Nylander was the only one with a bridge deal as a possibility. Marner and Matthews were always getting locked up long-term.

Nylander's contract is fine and just below $7 mil is where we all thought it would get signed before the season started. The problem is Lou giving Marleau an extra year and a full goddamn No-trade clause. We would've let Marleau and Gardiner walk after this season and have been fine. Now we have to convince him he really wants to play for the coyotes next year.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
That's exactly what you said.
I said I think he is near generational and maybe generational. And that was based in his record breaking season in the SHL. Statistically he is the best Swedish junior of all time. Better than even Forsberg, who actually didn’t come over to the NHL til he was 20 or 21. Can’t remember exactly. So no it’s not even close to what I said.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 6:52 PM

Quote:
I think the Leafs made a bad call with Nylander, they are going to have to pay Marner and Matthews significantly more than they did Nylander, and I'm not sure they can afford that. They should have traded Nylander the second he stayed back from training camp.

Mathews is locked into a 7 year contract, and Nylander just signed a 6 year extension so I don't think there is any cause for concern, the Leafs have very deep pockets.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 6:54 PM

Quote:
I said I think he is near generational and maybe generational. And that was based in his record breaking season in the SHL. Statistically he is the best Swedish junior of all time. Better than even Forsberg, who actually didn’t come over to the NHL til he was 20 or 21. Can’t remember exactly. So no it’s not even close to what I said.
Are you for real? you say he is maybe generational then say you didn't say he was generational after aluding that he could very well be a generational player and that I'm not even close for calling you out for saying he was generational. Man Canucks fans are the worst.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
Mathews is locked into a 7 year contract, and Nylander just signed a 6 year extension so I don't think there is any cause for concern, the Leafs have very deep pockets.

When did Matthews sign an extension, everyting I can find says he is still an RFA after the season. Also, the depth of their pockets means nothing to the Salary Cap.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 7:12 PM

I don't know what he's talking about. Matthews hasn't signed anything and will likely be getting the Tavares deal.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
I don't know what he's talking about. Matthews hasn't signed anything and will likely be getting the Tavares deal.
OK good, I figured when Matthews signs it will be the #1 story on all of the stupid Toronto based media lol. So they will need to Sign Marner and Matthews this summer, and they will need close to $20 million to keep both. So one of the big guns will have to go, and to me that's Nylander. This also doesn't take into account defense contracts that they will need next year. The Leafs need to win it all this year, and by that I mean lose to Calgary in the Final

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Are you for real? you say he is maybe generational then say you didn't say he was generational after aluding that he could very well be a generational player and that I'm not even close for calling you out for saying he was generational. Man Canucks fans are the worst.
Canuck fans may be the worst but Calgary fans don’t read too well.

I think other teams fans feel threatened when they see a superstar emerging within another team. Canucks young core is looking very strong at this point. Horvat continues to get better and is one of the most under rated players in the league. Pettersson obviously. And Hughes is going to be an impact player right away for the Canucks next year. Calgary has a decent team but they didn’t tank enough to put them over the top. Calgary needs a Pettersson to put them over the top.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Canuck fans may be the worst but Calgary fans don’t read too well.
My reading and comprehension far exceeds yours my friend.

Quote:
I think other teams fans feel threatened when they see a superstar emerging within another team. Canucks young core is looking very strong at this point. Horvat continues to get better and is one of the most under rated players in the league. Pettersson obviously. And Hughes is going to be an impact player right away for the Canucks next year. Calgary has a decent team but they didn’t tank enough to put them over the top. Calgary needs a Pettersson to put them over the top.
You are clearly demonstrating your ignorance of all things hockey by saying we didn't tank enough to get a player like Pettersson, you drafted him 5th while we have Monahan and Tkachuck who were both #6 (Elias Lindholm was taken at 5 by the Hurricanes, and we traded for him) and Bennett was #4. THe Oilers tanked more than enough to have great players and they are almost as bad as your team is 8 years later. Do some research before posting nonsense like this. Pettersson is a great player, nobody denies that, but it's his first year and he's played 1/4 of a season, get off his dick already.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 8:27 PM

Penguins have traded to get Pettersson. Pens will be unstoppable now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada