HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 4:38 PM

I never realized that the 301 on 1st building is an event Center. Cool idea. Im sure it will do very well as that kind of venue.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 5:25 PM

#2840 Report Post
Old Posted Today, 7:08 AM

Quote:
On the second page of the "Room to Grow" section of guide. "We are excited to design a landmark building right on the river..." Karl Miller, Meridian Development
I like the video of them scoping out larger cranes for their next project.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 3:05 PM

edit

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jun 7, 2021 at 8:43 PM.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricopedra View Post
Any updates on the Tees and Persse building? I haven't heard anything on that one or seen a pic in ages. Everything online is a year old at least.
I work just down the street from there and there’s been no movement on site since before Christmas that I can see. The floors have all been poured for the addition but now it’s stalled. The former Egadz building is ready to be leased but no tenants that I can see.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bess View Post
#2840 Report Post
Old Posted Today, 7:08 AM

I like the video of them scoping out larger cranes for their next project.
And what video would that be?

Thanks.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 4:42 AM

Meridian Face page will try and get link

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 4:49 AM

Old Posted Jul 7, 2020, 1:44 PM

edit

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jun 7, 2021 at 8:44 PM.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2020, 8:22 PM

Allan Wallace who is a former city planner who was with the City of Saskatoon is criticizing the current administrator on Twitter, he brings up some good suggestions.

https://twitter.com/awallace1961/sta...61505484349441

No. 1/10 Vacant Service Station sites.
These have sat vacant for decades. Often fenced, w no plan to sell, use or lease. Oil companies don't even realize they own them. Nothing says abandonment like not knowing that you own these. Time to demand these be sold, leased or used.

No. 2/10 - Downtown Go-Kart Track.
Nothing says small town like a unsightly, noisy Go-Kart track right at the entry point to our Downtown. Time for CP Rail & the local owners to get rid of this nonsense & clean up this site.

(Honestly if they razed that whole block I wouldn't be too upset)

No 3/10 - Pedestrian Beg Buttons.
How many times have you seen someone stand at a corner & wait for a walk light which never comes? They didn't press the ridiculous walk light button on the light pole. Way past time to get rid of these and make it easier to walk in our city again.

No. 4/10 - Boarded up Homes.
These are often hidden from view inside low income neighbourhoods. Like a cancer, they spread. Causing property values to remain low, affecting people, crime & neighbourhoods. It takes far too long to act on these properties, in some cases years.

No. 5/10 - Condition of Land Top of University Bridge.
A well-used route from the Downtown to the U of S is an un-kept area and footpath. Time for the University, MVA & City to develop this significant viewpoint and pedestrian pathway.

No. 6/10 - Sidewalks that are Needless or lead to Nowhere.
Sidewalks don't have to exist everywhere, but the worse case scenario is when existing sidewalks simply come to an end for no apparent reason. Sidewalks & pedestrians are afterthoughts in Saskatoon, this needs to change.

No. 7/10 - Loss of Street Trees.
Slowly but surely, street trees are being removed in our BID areas w no formal plan to replace. Spaces where trees once stood are covered up with brick pavers leaving a weird reminder that we once referred to our city as 'Saskatoon the Beautiful'.

No. 8/10 - Vacant Provincial Lot.
Imagine a site with a river view, across from the Bessborough, on the best pedestrian street in Saskatoon. Now imagine a gravel parking lot on that site. This is what our Provincial Gov't thinks is the highest & best use for this site.

(referring to the parking lot next to the courthouse)

No. 9/10 - 23rd St. Temporary Bike Lane
This bike lane was an 18 month pilot project. It is now 5 yrs. old & the temporary infrastructure is still on the street, reminding everyone how awful bike lanes can be. Need to move forward & make this permanent infrastructure.

(I don't think bike lanes are "awful" but we sure found a way to make them a total eyesore).

No. 10 - Boat Launch & Docks
A permanent boat launch & docks are ignored projects. The River is our Gemstone. Give people another reason to go Downtown in summer and enjoy a cruise on the river or some watersports. It animates our Downtown & draws people, tourists and business.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 6:42 PM

i’d love to see threads on all of those topics to bring in some great input from what other centers have done to address those topics. If we solved all of those topics we’d sure have a beautiful downtown.

On a side note after taking those River Landing pics in the other thread, I was chased a block away from my place last night by a couple people looking to rob me. On the other side of my condo the other evening (by Circle K), there was an overdose where the police needed to apply them with Narcon.
Really reminded me of the number one thing on my mind about re-considering moving out of downtown now.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 9:30 AM

edit

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jun 7, 2021 at 8:44 PM.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 12:55 PM

It's strange....I live near Albert Park in Varsity View area and we have definitely noticed an increase in what I can only call "disturbances". Noise coming from park often sounding like drunk or high persons verbally fighting or taunting. We have had a bit of this in the past few years, but I feel like there is way more since pandemic settled in.

Maybe it is because Albert Community Centre is not being rented as much so less activity at facility and park at night? I don't know...just more unsettling events that is causing us to not feel as safe at night.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 1:33 PM

I think CERB has helped a lot of the crime downtown, but I could be wrong. Our building downtown had its front glass door smashed twice last summer, and then that shooting where the hit man shot a person leaving our parkade was my building, and this year we haven’t had any crazy issues like that yet - just normal stuff so far but the summer is early. I think there’s less violent crime this summer thanks to CERB, but i think some have more money because of CERB and they are spending it on drugs to burn time. I don’t know what to do about it. What a mess.

I also have seen quite a few beggars looking for change but like, that must be nothing compared to CERB? I’d love our city to do a whole low income and mental health social strategy report that outlined what we need to do, and what other jurisdictions have done to have success with this. The one chasing me was definitely not high or drunk, I would say it’s opioids and meth that are two biggest issues downtown. Alcohol definitely comes into that number 3 too though.

One thing I would change is the fact that our downtown councillor lives in Nutana. Whenever I walk through Nutana I feel like I’ve switched cities. Downtown and Nutana are polar opposites to one another and I have no idea why the city thinks that they should be one jurisdiction.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2020, 12:26 AM

First impressions of Saskatoon when you first drive in from Regina

Old Posted Jul 10, 2020, 3:17 PM

Well that perspective allows you to appreciate the difference in height of the Nutrien Tower against the other River Landing buildings. Thanks.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2020, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryceyourself View Post
No. 2/10 - Downtown Go-Kart Track.
Nothing says small town like a unsightly, noisy Go-Kart track right at the entry point to our Downtown. Time for CP Rail & the local owners to get rid of this nonsense & clean up this site.
That track has been there for so long that I kind of forgot how ridiculous it is. It would be one thing if they operated a legit track like they have out in Martensville (admittedly that would also be loud and unsightly, but it would at least bring in people for races), but a small track surrounded by old tires next to a trailer... it's one of those things you can only see on that block of Idylwyld.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 1:27 AM

I got a letter in the mail about a downtown study. I think it would be valuable for everyone here to fill it in! www.tinyurl.com/downtownsaskatoon

Old Posted Jul 12, 2020, 9:11 PM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
I got a letter in the mail about a downtown study. I think it would be valuable for everyone here to fill it in! www.tinyurl.com/downtownsaskatoon
Thanks for sharing!

Old Posted Jul 13, 2020, 7:42 PM

Noticed the Nutrien Tower poking up while walking on 2nd Ave as well--it's definitely changing the looks of the skyline from a lot of different angles:

Old Posted Jul 14, 2020, 4:47 AM

That CIBC building needs a serious facade reno

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan