HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 11:28 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
Cant' really compare Canada with countries with a European propensity for train travel (yes that includes Russia, Morocco, Uzbekistan). But hey, at least we don't suck as bad as Australia or practically all of Latin America.
Heh. The Aussies don't even have the same gauge of rail for lots of their system. You'd need several different stops to get between the states.

Notwithstanding the time factor, I'm curious how the energy cost works out vis-a-vis air travel. Diesel locomotive aren't light, but they do have minimal friction losses. I guess it would come down to passenger load and distance - a lightly loaded version of the Canadian would probably be worse than one fully loaded aircraft. It would likely be better than a car (even one at capacity), though.

Edit: found some stuff on Wikipedia, so YMMV.

A320 with 150 seats full going ~4,000km =~2.43L/100km/passenger
Reasonably efficient car with 4 passengers ~2L/100km/passenger. Double that for two people.
Train: ~0.5L/100km/passenger (I'm curious how applicable this number is to VIA's various routes - I'd suspect it would be accurate for a commuter train, but a lower-capacity long-distance train would be somewhat worse)

Last edited by wave46; Aug 5, 2020 at 12:00 AM.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 1:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
It isn't really when you consider the relative power of the automobile lobby combined with the lack of density between our largest cities.
I don't see how the "automobile lobby" is a valid excuse, other than maybe showing how weak our institutions and gullible our voters are. Japan, Germany, France, Korea and Italy all have a larger auto sector than Canada. And orders of magnitude more urban, suburban and Intercity passenger rail service. Heck, with all that's happened in the US (like cities paid to rip out streetcar tracks), they still ended up with the Northeast Corridor and Acela.

It's not the automobile lobby in Canada. It's the aviation lobby. The Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal triangle and the Calgary-Edmonton corridor are absolute gold mines for our airlines. Given our climate, extreme weather and high airfares, any rail service that comes within even an hour of door-to-door travel times would do serious damage to them. Yet the benefits to Canadians of Ottawa-Montreal being commutable, Toronto being no more than 2 hrs away from Montreal and Calgary being no than 1.5 hrs from Edmonton, is substantial. It would absolutely change the way we think about distance, live and do business in the country.

Quote:
We have pretty good commuter rail in some of our major cities and they don't get enough credit.
Define "pretty good". I've experiences suburban rail systems all over the world. I don't think of lines not having all day bidirectional service and hourly frequencies in many cases to be "pretty good". They exist. That's better than nothing I suppose. Maybe in a decade when GO RER actually lives up to what the acronym means in Paris, I'll agree on this one.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 1:04 AM

Quote:
They don't seem to be acknowledged much around these parts when it comes to the overall discussion, just people looking for an excuse to moan about VIA and rail in general. I've taken GO an infinite amount of times more than VIA and it's far more useful.
They serve vastly different markets. This is like saying airports are useless because you only fly once a year.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
, I'm curious how the energy cost works out vis-a-vis air travel. Diesel locomotive aren't light, but they do have minimal friction losses. I guess it would come down to passenger load and distance - a lightly loaded version of the Canadian would probably be worse than one fully loaded aircraft. It would likely be better than a car (even one at capacity), though.

Reasonably efficient car with 4 passengers ~2L/100km/passenger. Double that for two people.
Train: ~0.5L/100km/passenger (I'm curious how applicable this number is to VIA's various routes - I'd suspect it would be accurate for a commuter train, but a lower-capacity long-distance train would be somewhat worse)
The Guardian actually did some handy math on this. The link to their spreadsheet is at the bottom of the page:

https://amp.theguardian.com/environm...transport-type

The other things to keep in mind is that rail can be electrified. And aircraft have their highest per capita consumption on their climb. Not reaching a higher cruise altitude and spending less time at cruise would increase per capita fuel consumption dramatically. Also rail usually offers a more convenient journey with most airports further out from the city centre (with some notable exceptions like Toronto Island). And that would lower the overall energy consumption of the trip substantially.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 5:43 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Considering that service was suspended 7 years ago I didn't think we'd ever see the return of VIA service on that route.

A lot of shortline operators have had trouble with the maintenance requirements involved... we've seen the same thing with the VIA route from Winnipeg to Churchill, or specifically the Keewatin Railway segment from The Pas-Churchill.
Maybe it is time that the government took over shortlines. Many of them used to be passenger service lines that had freight service. Now they are being threatened to shut down freight. If the government is going to pay for it, maybe they should own it. Then they can decide how best to utilize it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
Normally on an urban development discussion board in Canada the ratio of action-to-debate is fairly high. We discuss a building proposal or even a new transit line and, lo and behold, shovels will eventually appear in the ground.

In the VIA rail thread, this ratio is approaching zero.

Jesus, even if we were Americans in an “Amtrak updates” thread we could post pictures of new track being laid here and there.
I would love to hear Via updates. Are there any? Nothing on Fleet renewal. Nothing on HFR. Nothing on HSR. Nothing of exploring new routes. Nothing on adding more times to the schedule. Nothing.

I feel that Via should always be looking at growing and adding more passengers. Not in a way that causes a loss in revenue. I feel that Via should set a minimum fare return that they would then use to gauge whether a new anything is done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
This is just a fantasy thread at this point. Participants here decided they didn't like hearing from the guy who actually works at VIA. So...
The guy who has been working there for 5 years, and not in a planning of the future of it. He is a maintenance planner. That would be like asking me about making paper just because I work at a paper mill. Or, Asking me about army things, just because I was in the navy. He cannot see the forest through the trees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
I don’t think that’s it. I think that most people just tire of discussing hypotheticals for hundreds of pages. I certainly do. I think what attracts me to urban development as a hobby is that you can see literal concrete progress on initiatives. I’m a guy who derives immense satisfaction from watching projects unfold.

As a person who likes trains and tangible progress, following VIA rail is hell.
I agree. I wish this wasn't a fantasy thread. In fact, I am now working on things to one day approach Via and the Federal government to add more service too existing lines and add new routes. These threads have helped me understand the reasons and challenges; so it may not be all fantasy.

One thing that really confused me is why the 4th largest CMA in Canada has no service, yet has major rail lines through it. I now understand that there are several reasons. I realize that adding it back to the network won't be easy or simple. I don't know whether it will come back in my lifetime, but that doesn't mean I won't try to get it back. I have many hobbies, Studying and advocating for returning rail to our major cities is now one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I agree. I think the urban development boom of the 2010's is a huge part of why I remain interested in SSP.

It's very hard for me to accept that everything is running optimally at VIA when Canada is growing every year but its passenger rail infrastructure barely ever changes and feels a bit like a service you might find in Cuba (I was going to joke Uzbekistan, but it looks like they have nicer trains than us). It's possible that VIA is being run excellently under terrible federally-imposed constraints but that does not really matter from the perspective of a public that wants semi-decent transportation options.
I feel that Via is doing a decent job with what their mandate is. I feel that maybe it is time to change that mandate. For example, tourism should be removed from their mandate. Rocky Mountaineer has proven that a private operator can be profitable and that demand is there. The issue is the fare is is much higher than Via. Via can't compete with that if they are also trying to cater to transporting people.

If Via was to do tourist trains better, then they should only travel during daylight hours. Much of the current lines outside the Corridor are too long to do that easily. Just the Ocean would be a 2 day journey. The Canadian, likely over a week!

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
I feel that Via should always be looking at growing and adding more passengers. Not in a way that causes a loss in revenue. I feel that Via should set a minimum fare return that they would then use to gauge whether a new anything is done.
Well isn't that exactly what they are doing? Do the bare minimum on all the worthless rural routes that do not deserve rail service and put 100% of the minimal political capital they do have on new vehicles for their best existing service and building the most viable intercity rail line that exists.

Quote:
I feel that Via is doing a decent job with what their mandate is. I feel that maybe it is time to change that mandate. For example, tourism should be removed from their mandate. Rocky Mountaineer has proven that a private operator can be profitable and that demand is there. The issue is the fare is is much higher than Via. Via can't compete with that if they are also trying to cater to transporting people.
Fine with me. Scrap all the ultra loss making rural routes, scrap the Canadian and scrap the Ocean and scrap all the shite equipment needed to service those routes. Buy new equipment and focus efforts on the populated areas of Southern Ontario, Quebec, the Maritimes, BC and Alberta.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 6:20 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Fine with me. Scrap all the ultra loss making rural routes, scrap the Canadian and scrap the Ocean and scrap all the shite equipment needed to service those routes. Buy new equipment and focus efforts on the populated areas of Southern Ontario, Quebec, the Maritimes, BC and Alberta.
I wonder how much investment would be needed to get the speed along, say, the Vancouver-Calgary route up to 200 km/h on average. The mountains make this route more challenging than normal but if it were flat it would be a very reasonable route. It's about 1,000 km and serves around 5 million people, with some smaller destinations in the middle (Merritt, Kamloops, Salmon Arm, national parks). Vancouver-Calgary flights are only about 1:20 but when you factor in travel to the airports and time wasted at the airports it is more like a 4 hour trip. A comfortable 6 hour train with wifi would be, I'd imagine, attractive to many travelers.

I would guess that an incremental concerted effort to improve the rail routes over the years would produce big dividends in a decade or two. Make a list of the hundreds of small improvements that are possible, tackle a few a year, and the gains will add up. For example I wonder how much trains have to slow down here in metro Vancouver because of all the at-grade crossings.

Something else to note is that the trains tend to do better in winter conditions. In the winter, the train could be much more reliable than the highways. Air travel is also very weather dependent. We just accept that every winter there are periods when it's hard to travel around large chunks of Canada.

The Ocean route is a good example of weird federal spending that gets people moaning about subsidies yet provides little to no benefit for the Maritimes.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 6:52 PM

Quote:
I wonder how much investment would be needed to get the speed along, say, the Vancouver-Calgary route up to 200 km/h on average. The mountains make this route more challenging than normal but if it were flat it would be a very reasonable route. It's about 1,000 km and serves around 5 million people, with some smaller destinations in the middle (Merritt, Kamloops, Salmon Arm, national parks). Vancouver-Calgary flights are only about 1:20 but when you factor in travel to the airports and time wasted at the airports it is more like a 4 hour trip. A comfortable 6 hour train with wifi would be, I'd imagine, attractive to many travelers.
If history were different and there had always been half decent passenger rail along the CP line in the mountains, we'd think it totally normal and it would be a well used viable option that we'd want to keep upgrading. But to build such a thing today would be extremely costly and would look like a white elephant for decades while transportation patterns adjust.

I think the only option is to pick the smallest sections of railway that can stand on their own business case, and only then can we start thinking about adding on the more marginal sections to eventually get a decent network. Lake Louise - YYC I think is a great candidate for this, if we ever build that then we can start thinking what is the cost and benefit of extending it to Kicking Horse, to Revelstoke. On the other end, Vancouver needs to sort out its commuter line such that it can expand capacity and then extend it out to Hope. At that point, extending it to Merritt and Kamloops can be contemplated and eventually the connection to Calgary can be made. But all these increments need to stand on their own merits.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
Notwithstanding the time factor, I'm curious how the energy cost works out vis-a-vis air travel. Diesel locomotive aren't light, but they do have minimal friction losses. I guess it would come down to passenger load and distance - a lightly loaded version of the Canadian would probably be worse than one fully loaded aircraft. It would likely be better than a car (even one at capacity), though.

A few comments. First of all, using litres of fuel doesn't work well in this comparison as most airplanes use jet fuel, most trains use diesel fuel and most cars use gasoline, and each fuel has a different energy density and carbon content. They will also produce different amounts of other pollutants. The trend these days is to focus only on carbon emissions, but there are many other factors to consider as well.

Regarding airplanes, they use a lot of fuel for takeoff and landing, but are very efficient at their cruising altitude. So the longer the flight, the more efficient they become.

As you said, diesel locomotives need to be extremely heavy to get enough traction (the coefficient of friction of steel on steel is very low) to pull the train without the wheels slipping. As a result, trains are only efficient if they are transporting a large number of people. Even a single occupant, gas guzzling SUV could be more efficient than a train if the train is only transporting a handful of passengers. Fill up that train with several hundred passengers and it becomes extraordinarily efficient.

One thing many people overlook is freight. The opportunity for improvements in energy efficiency (and less pollution) by using rail freight compared to trucks is massive.

Quote:
The Guardian actually did some handy math on this. The link to their spreadsheet is at the bottom of the page:

https://amp.theguardian.com/environm...transport-type
I had a look at that link, and the spreadsheet linked seems to have been deleted. The article is from 2009, so the data is probably out of date anyway (for example, the UK has gone from the majority if its electricity being generated from coal a decade ago, to going for weeks at a time without using any of their coal electricity generation plants).

Quote:
The other things to keep in mind is that rail can be electrified.
Very true, but it is only feasible from a cost perspective on shorter, more heavily used routes. Also, the freight railways also don't want their lines electrified, so electrification needs to be done on dedicated tracks. Alternatively batteries or hydrogen fuel cells could be used, but they also have disadvantages.

Quote:
And aircraft have their highest per capita consumption on their climb. Not reaching a higher cruise altitude and spending less time at cruise would increase per capita fuel consumption dramatically.
Very true. Some interesting work is being done with electric and hybrid-electric airplanes though. They can even do some regenerative breaking when landing. Of course, where demand warrants it, intercity trains are a better option for those medium distances that are often said to be to "too far to drive, too close to fly" (150-800km with the sweet spot being at about 400km).

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 7:30 PM

Quote:

If Via was to do tourist trains better, then they should only travel during daylight hours. Much of the current lines outside the Corridor are too long to do that easily. Just the Ocean would be a 2 day journey. The Canadian, likely over a week!
I agree. I think the Rocky Mountaineer is an example of something where VIA is just not thinking clearly and basically setting themselves up for failure.

Because the Rocky Mountaineer is a daytime tourist train that houses its guests in a hotel in Kamloops, they can charge higher fares and as a result:

- offer CP more money and be in a better negotiating position for scheduling/train priority
- be able to bulk purchase hotel rooms at a competitive rate, and offer their guests better accommodations than a cramped berth
- dispense with the need to hire staff to change and wash bedsheets
- run a shorter train with a more consistent consist that gives their clientele what they want (more vista cars, fewer coach cars)

If VIA is hamstrung by its mandate to provide basic transportation, then the Federal government should subsidize bus operators to provide the service of transporting passengers who can't afford the tourist train and/or are indifferent to scenery from point A to point B along the same route. It would be faster.

A similar strategy could probably be employed in the Corridor where the mandate should be to be competitive for business travelers. I'm sure that if you paid CN enough money, they'd probably rearrange their freight schedules. If you ran trains that were 1/3 business class every half hour between 4 and 7pm, you could probably pay CN enough money to get them out of the way.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Well isn't that exactly what they are doing? Do the bare minimum on all the worthless rural routes that do not deserve rail service and put 100% of the minimal political capital they do have on new vehicles for their best existing service and building the most viable intercity rail line that exists.

Rail service betweeen the "populated areas of BC"? That would never make fiscal sense as the cost to get it time-competitive would be astronomical.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Rail service betweeen the "populated areas of BC"? That would never make fiscal sense as the cost to get it time-competitive would be astronomical.
I did say populated areas "of" rather than between, but it makes little difference. You've already got a passenger railway in the Lower Mainland so a case was already made. Improve that infrastructure, make it more frequent and reliable, extend it initially to where it is cheap to go, then to where it's more expensive. And it's not outrageous to think that passenger railways could operate in the interior also. If you transplanted the BC - AB landscape into Europe there would be lots of passenger railways, lots of people would be using them and there would be political will to improve them.

I don't care if it's VIA that does this or someone else, only that we at least stop pretending that it is literally impossible to have improved rail service.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 9:44 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

The topic of Vancouver to Chilliwack rail service comes up every so often. That route is if anything probably getting more attractive as traffic on the highway worsens and the population grows.

The population densities around Vancouver-Surrey-Langley-Abbotsford-Chilliwack are comparable to the more developed parts of Europe that are covered in rail lines and have passenger rail service all day long at regular intervals.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 9:52 PM

Quote:
I wonder how much investment would be needed to get the speed along, say, the Vancouver-Calgary route up to 200 km/h on average.
200 kph is bordering on high speed rail with all the grade separation, banked curves, etc that entails. And all on a dedicated track (can't share with freight at those speeds) through the Rockies. The cost would probably be more than necessary to give HSR to Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal, Calgary-Edmonton and Halifax-Moncton.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 9:56 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Out of curiosity I added up the population in Halifax, Moncton, Saint John, and connecting counties (with towns like Truro or Sackville NB that could have stops), and then looked at the length that would be required to serve this route.

Population was 848,280 in 2016. Length is approximately 350 km.

The area/density is roughly comparable to the primary part of Estonia (and the cities and towns are about the same size). Estonia has 1,607 km of main roads; the highways look roughly comparable to the Maritimes or a bit better. Tallinn has 4 tram lines. They have hugely more passenger railway service. Airports look to be similarly developed or better (and their flight prices are probably a lot lower!).

I don't really understand the argument that Canada can't have good rail because it invests so much in highways or airports. Other countries, often countries with weaker economies, often blow Canada out of the water rail-wise yet still have good highways and airports. The United States is unusual but their freeways are much more developed than Canada's, and is notorious for its dysfunction in recent decades. Overall it just looks to me like Canada has less transportation infrastructure than most other countries; virtually all developed countries and a lot of middle income countries too.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 10:10 PM

Quote:
200 kph is bordering on high speed rail with all the grade separation, banked curves, etc that entails. And all on a dedicated track (can't share with freight at those speeds) through the Rockies. The cost would probably be more than necessary to give HSR to Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal, Calgary-Edmonton and Halifax-Moncton.
The cost to build HSR between Calgary and Vancouver would be so prohibitive as to never be viable given the grades, avalanche zones, tight canyons and national parks. Likely tens of billions of dollars.

Intercity passenger rail will never make sense. A better approach would be to open up the domestic air market to competition, repeal the Air Canada act, remove limits on foreign ownership or air carriers, improve ground transportation connections to airports and streamline airport check-ins. Wouldn't it be convenient to check-in for a flight at Union station, clear security there with luggage transported seamlessly to YYZ? That model already exists at Kuala Lumpur. Australia, another country with vast geography, has far lower airfares than Canada due to intense competition. In routinely fly Perth to Gold Coast (4.5 hours) for AUD 350 return or less or to Singapore (5.5 hours) for AUD 400. Canada is also way behind the times in terms of airport screening technology. Most Asian countries and Australia use facial recognition at customs and sometimes in place of boarding passes.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 10:16 PM

Like I said the aviation lobby. Heck, they've even been lobbying against a more robust HFR that might hurt the cash cow. And rail is the only thing that will provide true competition to short-haul flying. High speed rail has won against air everywhere it's available. And would definitely work in our high cost aviation market.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Intercity passenger rail will never make sense. A better approach would be to open up the domestic air market to competition, repeal the Air Canada act, remove limits on foreign ownership or air carriers, improve ground transportation connections to airports and streamline airport check-ins. Wouldn't it be convenient to check-in for a flight at Union station, clear security there with luggage transported seamlessly to YYZ? That model already exists at Kuala Lumpur. Australia, another country with vast geography, has far lower airfares than Canada due to intense competition. In routinely fly Perth to Gold Coast (4.5 hours) for AUD 350 return or less or to Singapore (5.5 hours) for AUD 400. Canada is also way behind the times in terms of airport screening technology. Most Asian countries and Australia use facial recognition at customs and sometimes in place of boarding passes.
Aviation infrastructure is heavily subsidized in a lot of the world. It's a cash cow for government in Canada (via airport ground rents). No amount of competition would get us down to Australian costs.

There's also that climate change thing....

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 10:36 PM

Quote:
There's also that climate change thing....
Exactly what I was going to say.

My approach; scrap the air carrier protectionism, but impose a meaningful universal carbon tax that actually includes the most wasteful activity. What the carbon prices currently apply to is opaque, but AFAIK only some intraprovincial flights are taxed.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 10:45 PM

I don't think HSR or even normal passenger rail from Calgary to Vancouver is something to focus on - even if it was a flat prairie it would still be beyond the distance HSR is good at. What is worth looking at is everything in between, if pieces work on their own then they can be built and eventually, maybe, after we die, they can all be linked together.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada