HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 20, 2023, 9:57 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
McCombs? The entire business school? I definitely think not. McCombs encompasses far more SF than the School of Social Work now. There is no way they're moving one of the best business schools on the planet to a small, refurbished student mall and replace the space with the School of Social Work.
That's what was reported. But no details provided.

https://247sports.com/college/texas/...oon-208364675/

Quote:
But it took a domino effect to make it happen, including finding a temporary home for the School of Social Work, which will move into the current location of the McCombs School of Business when McCombs moves into its location at the old Dobie Mall on Guadalupe in a few years.
freerover said he thinks it's just the graduate program. That would make sense. That has moved to Rowling Hall over on MLK. But the article states McCombs WILL move in the coming years to Dobie. I wonder if they'll replace Whitis Place and the rest of that half block with a new highrise to house undergrad.

Last edited by lzppjb; Apr 20, 2023 at 10:10 PM.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2023, 2:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Whats the location for this? That is a really good looking building.
1800 Guadalupe, the north end of Downtown just before West Campus.

https://austin.towers.net/this-downt...-shaped-story/

Old Posted Apr 21, 2023, 7:54 AM
Ex Houstonian

Too bad that beautiful house is getting destroyed, I assume it dates to the 1930s or so.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2023, 3:10 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Too bad that beautiful house is getting destroyed, I assume it dates to the 1930s or so.
It's not a historic building. If I remember correctly, it was built in the mid-1980's.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2023, 7:42 PM

Wilson Tower’s upper half gone in high-rise’s updated plans

"The downtown apartment tower’s original plans would have made it the tallest building in all of Texas at 1,035 feet tall, but new plans call for a trimming of floors: from 80 to 45"

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...ted-plans.html

Old Posted Apr 25, 2023, 12:46 AM
Ex Houstonian

Thats too bad, that building had a great design.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2023, 1:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
It's not a historic building. If I remember correctly, it was built in the mid-1980's.
It dates back to 1923. The city didn’t deem it historic as the original structure received multiple additions overtime.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2023, 3:06 AM

Here’s a New View of the Downtown Austin Hotel Planned at Fifth and Lavaca

Quote:
The 30-story downtown Austin hotel plan proposed by local hospitality firm Merritt Development Group at the southeast corner of West Fifth and Lavaca Streets is set to appear before the city’s Design Commission tonight, seeking a ruling on its compliance with the design requirements of the Downtown Density Bonus Program.

That’s great news for us, since it means we’ve got a full set of updated renderings of the approximately 370-foot tower from national architecture firm DLR Group to peruse at our leisure. You’ll note that the building seen here looks fairly different from the earliest renderings of the project first made public.

Remember, this project will be a dual-branded hotel containing two Hilton flags, a duo of the classic Embassy Suites and lifestyle-focused Tempo by Hilton brands together containing a total of 480 rooms.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2023, 4:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
"The downtown apartment tower’s original plans would have made it the tallest building in all of Texas at 1,035 feet tall, but new plans call for a trimming of floors: from 80 to 45"

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...ted-plans.html
I really hate that!

Old Posted Apr 25, 2023, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dariusb View Post
I really hate that!
Maybe by the time this project happens (if it ever does) they’ll bump the floor count up slightly. I could like with this thing being in the 600+ foot range, but anything smaller and it will just get absorbed into the skyline like Frost.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2023, 3:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
FYI...this is not the final design. It's preliminary imaging to kick-start the fundraising.

If you are speaking about the "white" building to the immediate southwest of the new Moody Center (east of this new football facility) - that's the new basketball training facility (which is already open). The School of Social Work is moving to the space occupied by Dobie Mall.
Nah, I'm not. The basketball training facility isn't white. The building I pointed out is. It's literally right next to it.

Also, I'm pretty damn sure that will be pretty close to the final design. And it's good, so it should be.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2023, 7:06 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
Nah, I'm not. The basketball training facility isn't white. The building I pointed out is. It's literally right next to it.
I'm also confused. The façade of the new basketball training facility is brick. However, its roof is white - to reflect the sun's heat. The only other buildings next to the new facility are the Swim Center, Student Rec Center and the new Moody Center.

If it's not one of those, what are you seeing that we are not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
Also, I'm pretty damn sure that will be pretty close to the final design. And it's good, so it should be.
CDC said it was not the final design. How close? Not sure. But, I would expect some tweaks.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2023, 1:45 PM
World Traveler

I see what he's talking about - this is the only of the posted photos that seems to show it. You see the Moody Center and the basketball training facility immediately next to it (light brown with white roof). Immediately to the right of that is an angled roof on a white building that does not currently exist. If you look at the Longhorn logo on the roof, it's just above the right horn.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2023, 6:28 PM
Member since 2001

Ah. Great catch, Drummer - Great eye, Syndic.

It's a small parking lot immediately adjacent to that ugly water tank. Maybe it will be another athletic facility, maintenance facility, or something to do with the Dell Medical School. Or, simply a filler in the rendering.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2023, 6:33 PM
World Traveler

^^ At least it seems somewhat architecturally interesting for a small infill project in the area - and it covers up said ugly water tank from one angle!

Old Posted Apr 30, 2023, 12:54 AM
クラブトクヨ

Looks like good infill!

Old Posted May 1, 2023, 6:43 PM
Member since 2001

Speaking of this area...UT will complete the demolition of The Drum (aka The Frank Erwin Center) by October 2024. This will clear the way for the medical school's expansion.

Old Posted May 2, 2023, 7:09 PM

Redevelopment Planned for Six-Acre Site on South Congress

Quote:
An application for a planned unit development (PUD) at an approximately six-acre land assembly on South Congress Avenue could represent the next step towards building out the South Central Waterfront planning area directly south of the river near downtown Austin. Filed with the city earlier this week, the PUD concerns a collection of three adjacent tracts located around 500 South Congress Avenue, containing the 115-unit South Congress Square apartment complex and two office buildings at 510 South Congress Avenue and 105 West Riverside Drive.

New York-based international development firm The Related Companies, best known for massive projects like Hudson Yards but now turning its interest to a number of sites in South Austin, purchased these properties out of bankruptcy for $65 million from perpetually struggling local firm World Class Holdings last summer. The eventual plan for the site is some sort of mixed-use redevelopment, but now that the owners appear to be kicking off the PUD negotiation process with the city for the land, we’ll probably soon get a better idea of precisely what’s in store for this uniquely large site. Local land use law firm Armbrust & Brown filed the PUD application with the city earlier this week, but no details of its scope have been made public at this point.

Old Posted May 7, 2023, 7:17 PM

Old Posted May 8, 2023, 6:22 AM

^A lot of buildings under construction.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations