HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Mar 18, 2023, 11:37 AM

Someone mentioned to me that they heard Giant Tiger may be looking at the current Kent building to possibly relocate to after the new Kent store opens. Has anyone heard anything along these lines.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2023, 1:32 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I saw that rumour over on Retail Talk & Share. I think it is only a rumour. It has only been in the Riverview Mall for five years or so, and I imagine their lease agreement there was for longer than that.

I think a better use for the old Kent store would be to convert it into a new grocery store like Save Easy or Co-op/IGA.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2023, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
Someone mentioned to me that they heard Giant Tiger may be looking at the current Kent building to possibly relocate to after the new Kent store opens. Has anyone heard anything along these lines.
I'd be surprised to see Giant Tiger move from their current location in the Riverview mall. They're doing a fantastic business there, and I just don't think that the old Kent location is ideal for retail.

I'd like to see it demolished and replaced with a residential building (or two). The lot is much larger than the lot where there is an apartment building currently under construction.

However, I don't think we'll see this happen. When Kent moves, I suspect we'll see the building remain vacant for some time, and eventually it will be leased out.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2023, 2:47 PM

I also can’t see them leaving. I just thought I’d share to see if anyone had heard anything. I actually missed it on the retail talk & share but I’m not surprised it made its way over to there as well.

Ideally I’d like to see that site be redeveloped into a mixed use development. Maybe a 4-6 storey building right in the corner of Suffolk by the traffic lights with ground floor retail. The whole site could probably hold 4 buildings and perhaps a parking garage under it with an entrance off Suffolk in the back.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2023, 6:41 PM
I Rise Again

Wouldn't it be from their Mapleton Road location rather than their Riverview location if they relocated? This seems really strange to me that they would have two so close to each other. This doesn't make any sense.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2023, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonianSentinel01 View Post
Wouldn't it be from their Mapleton Road location rather than their Riverview location if they relocated? This seems really strange to me that they would have two so close to each other. This doesn't make any sense.
The rumour is they would relocate the Riverview one to the current Kent location IN Riverview after the new Kent in Riverview opens.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2023, 9:18 PM
I Rise Again

Quote:
The rumour is they would relocate the Riverview one to the current Kent location IN Riverview after the new Kent in Riverview opens.
Now I feel like an idiot. I should never have posted.

Forgot about Kent building a new building in Riverview!

Old Posted Mar 18, 2023, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Exactly. No way I can see a 2nd Giant Tiger that close to the first one. I predict that once it's vacant, it'll be hard to find a new tenant for the old Kent location. But you never know.

Maybe they'll put it on the market and some developer will buy it.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2023, 9:40 PM

Giant Tiger's cheapen the aesthetic of just about any city they open up in... it just screams 'bargain'

Old Posted Mar 18, 2023, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 905er View Post
Giant Tiger's cheapen the aesthetic of just about any city they open up in... it just screams 'bargain'
In today’s economy, nothing wrong with saving a little bit of money. I often find they have much cheaper prices than Superstore or Sobeys.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2023, 1:18 PM

Quote:
In today’s economy, nothing wrong with saving a little bit of money. I often find they have much cheaper prices than Superstore or Sobeys.
oh, 100% I agree ...just wish the storefronts didn't scream bargain basement discount.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2023, 1:50 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 905er View Post
oh, 100% I agree ...just wish the storefronts didn't scream bargain basement discount.
What would you prefer?

Anything can be construed as 'cheap' or 'bargain' depending on ones standing. Most Canadian cities are being enveloped by Dollaramas and one could view them as 'cheap' but they also provide good deals that many on the lower-end of the income spectrum sorely need and definitely take advantage of. Giant Tiger is no different.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Land clearing for the new Kent store on the NE corner of Findlay/Gunningsville Blvds in Findlay Park is now complete, and site prep is also well underway. Given the rapid progress, I suspect Irving wants this new store open by this fall.

I drove by the new Kent site, and the footprint is massive!! When you see it in person it really hits you. This is going to be a substantial construction project for Findlay Park.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 8:07 PM

When Kent's moved to Dartmouth Crossing from Mic Mac Mall they repurposed the old building into new office space.

https://www.partnersglobal.com/sites...2020.04.27.pdf

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser111 View Post
When Kent's moved to Dartmouth Crossing from Mic Mac Mall they repurposed the old building into new office space.

https://www.partnersglobal.com/sites...2020.04.27.pdf
Doubtful that happens here since the market for office space has bottomed out.
Irving did a nice job on this site though!

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 12:36 AM

This is what I would like to see happen on the site of the soon to be former Kent.
Just a little mixed use neighbourhood. It would probably be hard to do because of the elevations, but you get the point. Also, where Riverview doesn't have a single hotel, I thought it would be the perfect place for one. Also thought, rather than having a bunch of surface parking lots, that diagonal on street parking ought to do the trick in its place as well as parking garages under several of the buildings. Plus there is also a small parking lot on the north side of Suffolk street that staff or patrons could also use.

I'd envision a bank locating there (CIBC is in a wonky location in the mall, perhaps this would be better for them) and local shops or restaurants (maybe Freddies pizza could relocate from across the street)

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 3:11 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Nice site plan concept Josh, although I'm sure any hotel in that area would rather be right on Coverdale Road rather than hidden in behind.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Nice site plan concept Josh, although I'm sure any hotel in that area would rather be right on Coverdale Road rather than hidden in behind.
Yeah your probably right, I just picked the size of the building I thought would be more appropriate. I suppose there could be 2 buildings fronting on Coverdale with the hotel main entrance being off Coverdale rather than the on street parking I have. I think it would be nice see something similar on the opposite side of Coverdale road too where the TD, gas station and Chinese food restaurant is.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 2:20 PM

I wonder how a hotel would do in Riverview though?

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 2:59 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
I wonder how a hotel would do in Riverview though?
My opinion is that a hotel in Riverview might do OK, but it has to be in the proper location, and to me, that would have to be on the road leading out of town towards Fundy Park.

And a further complication here are the mutterings that they might close off Hillsborough Road, and divert all through traffic to an extended Bridgedale Blvd. So, until this is sorted out, then where would be the best place for a hotel, Hillsborough Road or Bridgedale Blvd?

If Bridgedale were extended and traffic diverted, then the ideal spot would be on Bridgedale, right next to the new field house/aquatic centre that the town plans to build.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces