HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Feb 8, 2022, 3:10 PM
Hong Kong

Chinese New Year in Hong Kong 2022

Chinese New Year is marked by malls putting on various decor to attract shoppers. Beyond the comfort of an indoor mall, there are also markets that sell festive ornaments and flowers.

Several streets in Sham Shui Po turn red in the lead-up to Chinese New Year, offering all sorts of festive wares and decorations.

Laterns have been installed all along Central's long footbridge to Star Ferry.

The malls also put up decor to attract shoppers. Just weeks earlier, these scenes were celebrating Christmas.

More photos on my website : https://www.globalphotos.org/hk-cnymain.htm

Old Posted Feb 8, 2022, 3:45 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

nice to see.

so, a question -- what do they call chinese new year in china?

Old Posted Feb 8, 2022, 5:38 PM
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
nice to see.

so, a question -- what do they call chinese new year in china?
Here in Hong Kong, we call it Chinese New Year.

In China, they use Spring Festival.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2022, 5:42 PM
你的媽媽

Great shots! HK is amazing.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2022, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Here in Hong Kong, we call it Chinese New Year.

In China, they use Spring Festival.
Interesting; there are other cultures too that consider spring to be the start of a new year. For some reason, I never thought of Chinese New Year to be tied to spring, until now.

Great pictures, btw!

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Feb 8, 2022, 6:13 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

spring festival -- i really like that -- it gives us hope for better weather ahead at this time of year!

Old Posted Feb 9, 2022, 6:02 AM

Nice pictures! I love the decorations!

I didn't tie it to spring either, until the picture of the cherry blossoms close up. So how is it connected to spring, if it takes place in late January or early February? Does it tie to a certain area of the country? For instance, someone I know in Tennessee posted pictures of the daffodils coming out of the ground, so spring is on the way down there.

On another note, how are things in Hong Kong since the summer?

Old Posted Feb 9, 2022, 9:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post

I didn't tie it to spring either, until the picture of the cherry blossoms close up. So how is it connected to spring, if it takes place in late January or early February? Does it tie to a certain area of the country? For instance, someone I know in Tennessee posted pictures of the daffodils coming out of the ground, so spring is on the way down there.

It's based on the traditional Chinese calendar, which is a lunisolar calendar that identifies years, months, and days according to astronomical phenomena. That's why Chinese New Year isn't a fixed date on our Gregorian calendar. This year, Chinese New Year was on 1 Feb. Next year, it's on 22 Jan.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2022, 10:47 AM
Hong Kong

Quote:

To add, quite a number of countries in this region also use a lunar calendar, so we share some common festivals. Summer would begin on May 5.

We've had a fairly decent 2021 with relatively small outbreaks but overall life was pretty normal. That changed this week with omicron and delta having gotten into the community so the infection numbers are spiking now.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2022, 5:43 PM

Colorful. It must be the tiger year in their superstitious zodiac, given all those cute little tigers.
There's always some of the traditional dragon too, though. I know because the event is celebrated in our local Asian districts too.
They use tons of firecrackers to make some noise for their parades and dances. It's something to see in the 3rd arrondissement of Paris where there's the oldest Chinese community in town over just a couple of little blocks.
They settled there in the 1930s and were the very 1st permanent Chinese residents over here.
So their new year is an yearly event of the little neighborhood.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 4:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hourglass View Post
It's based on the traditional Chinese calendar, which is a lunisolar calendar that identifies years, months, and days according to astronomical phenomena. That's why Chinese New Year isn't a fixed date on our Gregorian calendar. This year, Chinese New Year was on 1 Feb. Next year, it's on 22 Jan.
Quote:
To add, quite a number of countries in this region also use a lunar calendar, so we share some common festivals. Summer would begin on May 5.
I understand that, but why does spring start at this time? I consider late January and early February to be the height of winter, just like late July and early August is the height of summer. Why is it not tied into the next moon cycle, which would be early March?

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 4:25 PM
Hong Kong

Quote:
I understand that, but why does spring start at this time? I consider late January and early February to be the height of winter, just like late July and early August is the height of summer. Why is it not tied into the next moon cycle, which would be early March?
The concept is we're far down from the coldest day of the year (winter solstice in December) and now the weather is getting gradually warmer.

These are the key dates in the lunar calendar, which guides how farmers plant and harvest :

https://www.chinahighlights.com/fest...olar-terms.htm

Old Posted Feb 11, 2022, 1:27 AM

Nice set!

Old Posted Feb 11, 2022, 3:37 AM

Quote:
The concept is we're far down from the coldest day of the year (winter solstice in December) and now the weather is getting gradually warmer.

These are the key dates in the lunar calendar, which guides how farmers plant and harvest :

https://www.chinahighlights.com/fest...olar-terms.htm
That link seems to make a little more sense, and admitting that it's not really a real start of spring is interesting. So "start of spring" basically it means that winter has crested. I guess the start of spring in the western world is considered when you see plants actually waking up: grass turning green, daffodils coming out, etc.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2022, 4:16 PM

Quote:
That link seems to make a little more sense, and admitting that it's not really a real start of spring is interesting. So "start of spring" basically it means that winter has crested. I guess the start of spring in the western world is considered when you see plants actually waking up: grass turning green, daffodils coming out, etc.
It's funny because we in the west seem hung up on precise/black-and-white terms/terminology. For us, "spring" is officially the date of the spring equinox, when "spring" is really more nuanced than that. Where I live in southern California, some trees already started flowering towards the end of January.

And, you can say spring has started once winter has started "dying" (has crested already).

It's funny, because in Sweden, they refer to the summer solstice as being "midsummer," which I used to think was odd, but then I thought it made sense if you look at the year as being only "winter" and "summer"; "midsummer" would be when the day would be the longest.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Feb 11, 2022, 4:41 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

well, imo marking a precise four seasons is very important, at least in my area, where we have a very definite four seasons, but it is more interesting to also have festivals for the more subtle midsummer solstice and this 'crest of winter' spring festival (when actually we most certainly need a festival the most as its the winter doldrums now and it's also hope for better weather ahead).

and on a related note, if you go to the chinese new year firecracker event in downtown manhattan's chinatown, and i highly recommend you do, it's fun, but definitely take earplugs. it is beyond loud, ain't no bad spirits sticking around after that racket!

Old Posted Feb 12, 2022, 1:53 PM
Hong Kong

January and February are blooming months for the Chinese New Year flower, appropriately named for its timing. The reverse-hanging pink flowers come in clusters so the tree becomes noticeably bright.

Wilson Trail's Stage 5 overlooking Shatin is a good spot to see these flowers as opposed to Sai Kung, which is the most popular and crowded spot.

The Chinese New Year flower is a protected species so it is illegal to pick and collect them. In the past, these flowers and the trees were harvested for the festivities and became endangered.

As a bonus, these are the views from the hike as well :

More photos on my website : https://www.globalphotos.org/hk-cnyflower.htm

Old Posted Feb 15, 2022, 4:19 AM

Nice!

Old Posted Jun 2, 2022, 1:37 AM

Wow that last image is impressive, the highrises are so dominating!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos