HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 12, 2007, 5:15 PM

Last HU Tower Progress Shots (for now...)

...and I thought I'd finish it off with pics of the new downtown Harrisburg Starbucks!

Old Posted Nov 12, 2007, 10:29 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crs921 View Post
Nice pics! Would it be possible for someone to get some w/ a wider shot so I can see how this fits into the area?

So we have a pic of the first FREESTANDING HBG Starbucks...the times, they are a-changin'!

Old Posted Nov 12, 2007, 11:06 PM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

Great photos!!

Old Posted Nov 13, 2007, 2:48 AM
Man on a mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
Nice pics! Would it be possible for someone to get some w/ a wider shot so I can see how this fits into the area?

So we have a pic of the first FREESTANDING HBG Starbucks...the times, they are a-changin'!
It fits pretty well. I'll take a walk up to 7th on saturday

Old Posted Nov 13, 2007, 6:21 AM
Eurosceptic

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07317/833315-28.stm

Hershey's top shareholder tightens grip over struggling company

Tuesday, November 13, 2007
By Marc Levy, The Associated Press

HARRISBURG -- The charitable trust that controls Hershey Co. is flexing its muscle by overhauling the board of the nation's biggest candy maker, mired in a yearlong slump.

Analysts said that, with The Hershey Trust committed to remaining Hershey's largest shareholder, a sale of Hershey appears even less likely than before.

But they also said they expected the trust will demand better performance from the company.

The Hershey Trust asked six directors to resign, while two others volunteered to leave, the company said Sunday.

The trust then installed two of its own members, several people with deep roots in Pennsylvania -- including former Gov. Tom Ridge -- and others with experience in the investment world.

"This is clearly the strongest indication yet that the trust wants to be in the driving seat of the next phase of the company's history," Sanford C. Bernstein & Co. analyst Alexia Howard said in a research note.

The changes came against the backdrop of speculation that the trust and the company have clashed over a potential deal with rival Cadbury Schweppes PLC.

In the past, the Hershey Trust has said it is obligated by Pennsylvania law to retain its controlling interest in the candy maker, even though it says the company's prosperity requires aggressive pursuit of growth.

Analysts said a merger with Cadbury, or similar major move, seems unlikely,

Still, Ms. Howard said she at least expects the trust to make bold moves, and cited the deal-structuring expertise of new board members from the private equity world.

Goldman, Sachs & Co. analyst Steven T. Kron, who questioned Hershey's ability to absorb Cadbury without significantly diluting profits, said he expected the trust to look hard at improving the company's fundamental performance.

Hershey's stock price closed yesterday at $41.29, up 25 cents.

This fall already has been tumultuous for the maker of Hershey's Kisses and Reese's, which is trying to revive its sales while undergoing a dramatic shift to cut its domestic plants and expand production in China, India and Mexico.

On Oct. 1, Chief Executive Officer and Chairman Richard H. Lenny abruptly announced his resignation amid speculation about a deal between Hershey and Cadbury.

A week later, the trust put out a strongly worded statement saying that it was unhappy with Hershey's performance.

Any merger with Cadbury would stoke deep concern in Hershey, a community that closely identifies with Hershey's founder, Milton S. Hershey, over whether the century-old candy maker would abandon its hometown.

Wounds in the town are still fresh from 2002, when the previous Hershey Trust board sought to sell the company.

That prompted a ferocious community backlash and a lawsuit by the state attorney general, who led a purge of trust board members who voted for a sale.

The trust is the custodian of Milton S. Hershey's fortune, using it to fund a school for underprivileged children that is just blocks away from the company's original chocolate factory on Chocolate Avenue.

Joining the company's board are Mr. Ridge, who also served as the nation's first Homeland Security secretary; former Hershey CEO Kenneth L. Wolfe; and the trust's chairman, LeRoy Zimmerman, a former Pennsylvania attorney general.

Also added were Charles A. Davis, who spent 23 years at Goldman, Sachs and is now CEO of Stone Point Capital, and Edward J. Kelly III, the managing director of private equity firm the Carlyle Group.

Copyright 2007 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2007, 1:29 PM
Keeping the dream alive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Gun View Post
It fits pretty well. I'll take a walk up to 7th on saturday
Could probably get a good shot from the State Street Bridge...

Old Posted Nov 13, 2007, 5:19 PM
Man on a mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidtownMike View Post
Could probably get a good shot from the State Street Bridge...
That would be a good spot. Also from the parking garage that is on the other side of 7th from the building. I think it has a clear view.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2007, 6:39 PM
Man on a mission

Sadly I have just heard of this when it is so close to where I live. I think this is great news. I even like the bloggers creation of SoMa term. This could develop into a great college bar with the growth of the university.

Quote:
Well, I heard about this new project last week and I’m glad we finally get some good hard info about it– and quickly thanks to Sara.

She reported in her column that a previous manager of Ceoltas will be remodeling the former Epic Bar and Grille near the train station into a new multi-level bar and nightspot. It’s actually open now under it’s new name, but according to the article, will be closed in January for renovations.
Full Blog

Their Myspace page

Penn Live article

I think I'll stop by this friday and check it out. If anyone in town to join me let me know.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2007, 9:05 PM

New 19-story Building on 2nd Street

I got an email from Greg Rothman, one of the partners involved in this new 19-story tower going on 2nd Street - with a skybar on the 19th level -- saying it was "moving forward." Haven't heard anything since. Anyone else have any news?

Old Posted Nov 13, 2007, 9:14 PM
Man on a mission

Quote:
I got an email from Greg Rothman, one of the partners involved in this new 19-story tower going on 2nd Street - with a skybar on the 19th level -- saying it was "moving forward." Haven't heard anything since. Anyone else have any news?

We can only hope. I read some gossip in the blogs when reading about Tara Station. Nothing definatively named. When did Rothman say this?

Old Posted Nov 13, 2007, 9:18 PM

Gossip??

What gossip did you hear/read about this 19-story project?

I'd say the email from Greg was from 2-3 weeks ago, so fairly recent.

A skybar would be cool for Harrisburg - of course, the higher the better! But on the 19th floor isn't too bad...

Old Posted Nov 13, 2007, 9:40 PM

Quote:

A skybar would be cool for Harrisburg - of course, the higher the better! But on the 19th floor isn't too bad...
The only thing that dissapoints me about the 19-story project is that so much of it is going to be used for parking. Every new office building we have got in this city recently is at least half parking! I think Harrisburg has TOO MUCH parking downtown.

Whats the chain that is supposedly going to open in the space of The Spot?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2007, 12:46 AM

Night Shot

Old Posted Nov 14, 2007, 1:48 AM

harris...... blah.....

Harrisburg, home to more bland concrete buildingsand parking garages per capita than anyplace on earth. Lots of potential, none of it realized.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2007, 2:09 AM
Man on a mission

I don't think you can fault the amount of parking garages. It allows people a place to park. Harrisburg expands by about 10-25k people during the day from the communters. It is listed several pages back what the % is. The parking garages allow the success you have seen downtown. If you want something to complain about start with the lack of an expansive area wide public transportation system neccesitating the need for the garages. Harrisburg can't expand out so it will have to go up. Parking garages are part of that solution. Any new building needs to provide its own parking because there are very little excess spaces currently available downtown.

I think the planners of the building know what they are doing. The new tennants will want anementies they can get in the suburbian office parks.

exiciting soap box now!

Old Posted Nov 14, 2007, 3:03 PM
Man on a mission

Quote:

It was basically refering to the project and hoping that they would raze the entire block including the Dragon Fly and Hardware bars when they did the project. I found this to be good news since the project hasn't been anounced in major media. Although I noticed your photo came from emporis. It seems that word of this project is spreading. I say we berate the project planners till they build 26 stories or higher. I want a new tallest building!!

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 8:18 PM
Man on a mission

Taking tomorrow off. Any picture request from the out of towners?

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 9:33 PM

Dauphin County tops state in business retention, growth
11/15/2007 12:04:50 PM
Dauphin County leads all other counties in the state for business retention and growth, according to a three-year survey conducted by the Team Pennsylvania Business Retention and Expansion Program.

Economic development professionals conducted interviews at 475 local businesses. Results show that 80 percent of those interviewed projected sales growth within the next year, according to a statement from Dan Robinson, county director of economic development.

The county’s unemployment rate of 3.7 percent is the lowest in county history, Robinson said.

The county received the survey results yesterday, Robinson said. - Eric Veronikis

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 9:34 PM

Metro-York wants changes in government, education
11/15/2007 2:27:34 PM
Metro-York today called for broad changes to government and educational systems in York County.

The civic group proposed tax reform, regional planning and police department mergers. Metro-York also proposed incentives to draw middle-class families back to city schools and said there should be a focus on finding jobs for struggling city residents.

Many of the group’s recommendations called for more study, but Metro-York leaders emphasized they planned to follow through.

“The goal was to produce a list of ideas that are aggressive and can have a big impact but are also very doable,” said Eric Menzer, co-chairman of Metro-York, speaking to an audience of more than 150 people at the York Jewish Community Center this morning.

Metro-York proposed a commission to study how taxes could be shared among municipalities and school districts. Another group would examine the structure of county government. Metro-York also called for raising $30 million to spend over the next 10 years on programs for at-risk youth in city schools, citing an alarming dropout rate.

Metro-York leaders highlighted polling results that suggest widespread support for their ideas among York County residents. - David Dagan

-----
GREAT ideas....York is getting on the right track. We'll see how receptive the public is to this however.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 10:01 PM

Young Gun REQUESTS

Hey Young Gun!
For those of us out of towners - lol - I'd like to see progress shots of the HU tower from different views (nat'l civil war museum view etc), maybe a floor count. (i dont think the HU tower will be as tall as I had hoped for 16 stories.)

Get creative and have fun!

-Chris
Fort Lauderdale, FL

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations