HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 6:57 PM

What If LaGuardia Airport Expanded Into the Bronx?

In October, Governor Cuomo announced a competition to modernize four of New York's (ruthlessly plagued) airports. Out of that contest with a $500,000 bounty came ReThinkNYC, a plan to extend LaGuardia Airport from East Elmhurst to the Bronx, while paving over Rikers Island and a substantial amount of the surrounding waterways (h/t W2tB).

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2015/0..._the_bronx.php

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 9:36 PM
Show me the blueprints

That would be amazing! As in a miracle amazing.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Apr 4, 2015, 5:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggieSmalls View Post

In October, Governor Cuomo announced a competition to modernize four of New York's (ruthlessly plagued) airports. Out of that contest with a $500,000 bounty came ReThinkNYC, a plan to extend LaGuardia Airport from East Elmhurst to the Bronx, while paving over Rikers Island and a substantial amount of the surrounding waterways (h/t W2tB).

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2015/0..._the_bronx.php
I think it is great ideas. It will helps to reduce the congestion. It will helps. They won't have any problem at all. I'd agree with that. They don't have worry about the flight delays. I think it's right choice. They will build 2 more new runways and a new concourse, as well. It will eased the congestion. I think some foreign airlines will moved from JFK to LGA. JFK is always delays all the times. Due to slots restrictions. I was hoping that they will build a new runways, new terminals and extend the rail lines, as well.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2015, 6:24 AM
BANNED

That's far too good of an idea to ever happen!

But seriously, can you imagine what it would cost to get something like that built in NYC? They do stuff like that in China all the time, but we could never afford it here.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2015, 9:00 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ yeah its kinda like what they are doing with the hong kong airport right now.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2015, 12:56 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownTown View Post
That's far too good of an idea to ever happen!

But seriously, can you imagine what it would cost to get something like that built in NYC? They do stuff like that in China all the time, but we could never afford it here.
I don't think its a matter of price, but politics. Its easy to build over there, and they have a get it done attitude along with the fact that they invest HEAVY in transportation and on infrastructure. Here though, its a mix of incompetence and mismanagement, especially when it comes to transportation related projects from rail to airports and so on. It would be expensive, but I'm sure they could get the cash. What makes it expensive though is the mismanagement of projects and delays.

But something on the level of an expansion to the Bronx would be a nightmare to manage and occur in the city. Would take decades to fruition. They have a hard enough time building subway expansions, often with delays measured in years, time tables that are off, scandals, and so on. But it could be done theoretically just not any time soon.

The time it takes to build a simple train platform in the U.S., the Chinese already built a whole skyscraper complex. And they do. Literally whole cities from a massive lot that was just dirt.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2015, 6:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
^ yeah its kinda like what they are doing with the hong kong airport right now.
Yeah, I can see that. They will build a third new runways, and the terminals, as well. It will helps. They will reduced the congestion. I was hoping that they can gets fourth new runway.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2015, 11:50 AM
Transport Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
I don't think its a matter of price, but politics. Its easy to build over there, and they have a get it done attitude along with the fact that they invest HEAVY in transportation and on infrastructure. Here though, its a mix of incompetence and mismanagement, especially when it comes to transportation related projects from rail to airports and so on. It would be expensive, but I'm sure they could get the cash. What makes it expensive though is the mismanagement of projects and delays.

But something on the level of an expansion to the Bronx would be a nightmare to manage and occur in the city. Would take decades to fruition. They have a hard enough time building subway expansions, often with delays measured in years, time tables that are off, scandals, and so on. But it could be done theoretically just not any time soon.

The time it takes to build a simple train platform in the U.S., the Chinese already built a whole skyscraper complex. And they do. Literally whole cities from a massive lot that was just dirt.
The real nail in the coffin is Rikers. Closing the facility and dispersing those inmates would make this dead on arrival...the timeline and cost are irrelevant (and things in China don't move nearly as fast as you people seem to think).

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 6:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixboi08 View Post
The real nail in the coffin is Rikers. Closing the facility and dispersing those inmates would make this dead on arrival...the timeline and cost are irrelevant (and things in China don't move nearly as fast as you people seem to think).
Do you know where old Rikers Island is? Is that near LGA airport? Is going to be demolition? Where the prisoners will be at? I think they will build a new facility. How those inmates will be transferred? I think they will be in Manhattan or Queens.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 11:39 AM
Transport Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
Do you know where old Rikers Island is? Is that near LGA airport? Is going to be demolition? Where the prisoners will be at? I think they will build a new facility. How those inmates will be transferred? I think they will be in Manhattan or Queens.
Their proposal calls for splitting the facility up across the city. I can't see that flying, tbh - even if it would be great, and more humane.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 12:02 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
Yeah, I can see that. They will build a third new runways, and the terminals, as well. It will helps. They will reduced the congestion. I was hoping that they can gets fourth new runway.

if they wanted to do something like use rikers or connect it up with lga -- here is a fairly recent shot i took of the hong kong expansion project for comparison

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 7:22 PM
Transport Planner

Quote:
if they wanted to do something like use rikers or connect it up with lga...
That's the crux of their proposal...

before

They want to relocate all of the terminals on reclaimed land, add 2 additional runways, and connect it to the bronx with an air train (as well as all the commuter lines and the T,Q,and A trains). It wouldn't involve nearly as much reclamation as with the original terminals at HK's new airport...

The real stickler with the plan is how to convince city officials and residents that relocating Rikers inmates to new facilities in their neighborhoods is a good thing.

after

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 7:45 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixboi08 View Post
T

The real stickler with the plan is how to convince city officials and residents that relocating Rikers inmates to new facilities in their neighborhoods is a good thing.

that might not be so much of a stickler as you might think -- it's already being done with juveniles:

http://ocfs.ny.gov/main/rehab/close_to_home/

Old Posted Apr 13, 2015, 3:03 AM

Quote:
that might not be so much of a stickler as you might think -- it's already being done with juveniles:

http://ocfs.ny.gov/main/rehab/close_to_home/
Can you show me a map? Where they will be at? Is going to build a new juveniles facilities?

Old Posted Apr 16, 2015, 12:07 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

LaGuardia terminal's $4 billion makeover stalled, yet again

Quote:
The two finalists in the running to handle the nearly $4 billion makeover of the central air terminal at LaGuardia Airport, often described as “Third World,” are going to have to extend their bids, again.

The yearlong selection process to pick a winner for the redevelopment will now stretch to at least May as the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey waits for a panel appointed by Gov. Andrew Cuomo to evaluate broader upgrades to LaGuardia and Kennedy airports.

"The Central Terminal redevelopment is the linchpin in improving LaGuardia's poor reputation," said Joe Sitt, chairman and founder of Global Gateway Alliance, an airport advocacy group. "It was past time for a bidder to be chosen by the end of last year and now the project faces real delays. We urge the Port Authority to select a bidder and get the project underway."
The panel, which is chaired by construction and real estate executive Dan Tishman and also includes Amanda Burden, the former director of the City Planning Department, and John Zuccotti, co-chairman of Brookfield Office Properties, is expected to unveil winners of an airport design competition in the coming weeks.

The design contest could spur changes to the central terminal’s redevelopment by suggesting specific improvements to it that are not part of the current project that is envisioned or by asking it to accommodate surrounding infrastructure or design upgrades. The Port Authority has paused in picking a winner for the terminal project in order to see who among the two remaining bidders can best modify their plans.

It will be the second time the bidders for the main terminal will be asked to extend their bids to make way for the design competition. The two finalists for the terminal previously agreed to a 90-day bid extension. The initial deadline was at the end of January. Several sources familiar with the project say the longer it takes to pick a winner for the terminal project, the harder it will be for the bidders to guarantee their bid price. The city's construction boom has pushed the cost of labor and materials higher over the past year, those in the industry say.

The Port Authority narrowed the field of bidders for the terminal project to two teams at the end of last year. They are: LGC Central Terminal Consortium, a joint venture of Tutor Perini, Aéroports de Paris, TAV Construction, Goldman Sachs, Suffolk Construction, STV, Arup and Kohn Pedersen Fox; and LaGuardia Gateway Partners, a joint venture of Skanska, Vantage Airport Group, Meridiam, Morgan Stanley, Citigroup, Wells Fargo and Parsons Brinckerhoff.
=================================
http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...lled-yet-again

Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 6:23 PM

^^^
Surprise, Surprise!!!

Delays may scuttle $4B plan to revamp LaGuardia terminal
If the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey doesn't pick a winning developer for the megaproject by the end of May, the two finalists may pull out.

DANIEL GEIGER
APRIL 23, 2015

Quote:
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey will have one more month to select a winning bidder for the $4 billion redevelopment of LaGuardia Airport’s Central Terminal building, or risk letting plans to replace the antiquated facility collapse as the two finalists begin to balk about the delays.

Adding pressure to the tight deadline are soon-to-be-unveiled results of a broader airport design competition initiated by Gov. Andrew Cuomo late last year. The winner of that competition will suggest upgrades to the Central Terminal building, which Vice President Joe Biden famously likened to the facilities of a "Third World country," and other improvements to LaGuardia and JFK airports.

Some are concerned about whether it will be possible to reconcile the existing terminal redevelopment, which the Port Authority and the bidders have spent two years working on, with the design competition’s recommendations for the facility and its surroundings, especially within such a short time frame. The bids for the design competition are currently being evaluated by a Cuomo-appointed committee chaired by construction executive Dan Tishman.

“I very much hope that the recommendations of the advisory committee can be reconciled with the existing bids,” said John Degnan, the chairman of the Port Authority’s board of commissioners, who was appointed to that post last year by New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie.

It's unlikely that the bids to redo LaGuardia’s Central Terminal will be extended beyond May, Mr. Degnan said. The bids were initially set to expire at the end of January, but the Port Authority arranged a 90-day extension through April. The two final bidders are expected to accept the the new May deadline.
“The finalists have been asked to consent to one additional 30-day extension,” Mr. Degnan said. “I expect this to be the final request, and that’s what they have been told.”
Mr. Degnan said he was optimistic that a winning bidder would be selected next month and that the terminal redevelopment plan will mesh with the recommendations from the design committee.

But there appears to be little room to integrate the two if the design competition's vision for the terminal redevelopment veers from the current rebuilding plan. Several sources familiar with the project say that the bidders have begun to bristle at the idea of any further extensions beyond the end of May. That would leave the Port Authority with only a month before its May 28 board meeting to salvage the project.

The Central Terminal project is being structured as a public-private partnership in which the winning bidder will pay the nearly $4 billion to rebuild the facility in exchange for a share of the its revenue. The bidders believe further delays would eat into their profits because construction costs are rising as the real estate market reaches new highs, sharply pushing up the price of labor and materials.

The Port Authority narrowed the field of bidders for the terminal project to two consortiums at the end of last year. They are: LGC Central Terminal Consortium, a joint venture of Tutor Perini, Aéroports de Paris, TAV Construction, Goldman Sachs, Suffolk Construction, STV, Arup and Kohn Pedersen Fox; and LaGuardia Gateway Partners, a joint venture of Skanska, Walsh Construction, Vantage Airport Group, Meridiam, Morgan Stanley, Citigroup, Wells Fargo and Parsons Brinckerhoff.

Old Posted May 28, 2015, 8:51 PM

The $4B LaGuardia Overhaul Looks Like It's Going to Happen

Thursday, May 28, 2015
Zoe Rosenberg

Quote:
In what is plausibly a modern-day miracle, Port Authority has finally announced a winning bid for the overhaul of LaGuardia's Central Terminal. The agency has chosen LaGuardia Gateway Partners—a a consortium of Vantage Airport Group, Skanska, Meridiam Infrastructure, Parsons Brinckerhoff, Walsh, and HOK—to lead the long-awaited overhaul.

According to the Port Authority, the $4 billion overhaul will,

include the demolition of the existing CTB and associated infrastructure and the construction of a new 1.3 million square foot, 35 gate terminal building; a new aeronautical ramp; frontage roads that will serve the new terminal; a new central heating and refrigeration plant; and other utilities and site improvements.

Just because a winning bid's been chosen doesn't necessarily mean the overhaul is guaranteed to happen. The project is structured as a public-private partnership, where LaGuardia Gateway Partners will pay $4 billion to rebuild the facility in exchange for a portion of its revenue. Crain's reported earlier that the bidders in the long drawn out process were starting to sweat over the months of delay in choosing a winning bidder as the cost of construction, labor, and materials continued to rise, potentially eating into their profits.

Old Posted May 29, 2015, 1:06 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

oh great - rearrange the deck chairs on the titanic so to speak, but not expand it with infill around rikers like the plan above or just put a fork in it and close it. bah.

Old Posted May 29, 2015, 1:08 AM

Pardon my ignorance, but isn't a big capacity issue at LGA runways? It sounds to me like we're getting another WTC Transit Hub here, will look nice, but does nothing to address actual capacity issues.

Old Posted May 29, 2015, 2:20 AM
Show me the blueprints

Throwing good money after bad seems to be a long standing PA tradition.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development