HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Apr 22, 2007, 1:21 AM

well i was down in sowa, but primarily to use the tram as a transportation tool b/c i was not going to bother biking up those hills, going down is nicer. didn't get any pictures though (thats what i meant by skipped) but will do so the next time i'm there. but for updates, i saw people beginning to move into the John Ross. wanted to go in but did not bring a lock for the bike, so oh well. and its courtyard space is shaping up really nicely.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2007, 2:25 AM

the streets are pretty dead still I don't know how much you need to worry about crime. although I would probably of done the same thing. btw what happened to that guy that had access to one of the sowa buildings and he posted some pics but then never came back, i wished he posted reguraly

Old Posted Apr 22, 2007, 6:35 PM
Kicking a** since 1907

How is it big for the neighborhood? Just blocks away are the highrises at Park and Vista, the Envoy is practically across the street, the only thing different is that it's the first built in the last 30 years.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2007, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsider View Post
How is it big for the neighborhood? Just blocks away are the highrises at Park and Vista, the Envoy is practically across the street, the only thing different is that it's the first built in the last 30 years.
True, the Envoy has about the same visual mass, but it's at the foot of a steep hill and set back by a full block from the nearest pedestrian thoroughfare. And Park and Vista are just plain eyesores, so comparing the Westerly to those buildings does not do it any favors, in my opinion.

The Westerly just "feels" obtrusive to me ... Have you walked in that area now that the building is filling out? There just seems to be a lot of sunlight missing; the corner of NW Everett and NW Westover now feels like an alleyway...

It would be a great location to live. But for >$500/sf, the floorplans in the building are just uninspired ...

Old Posted Apr 22, 2007, 8:31 PM
Kicking a** since 1907

I might be a little apathetic because I don't live right there, but I don't really sweat the issues of shadows and "boxing". Northwest neighborhood is a dense area that is only getting denser and problems like that are unavoidable. Its quite difficult to have nearly any changes to an area that won't adversly affect some, so the only thing you could do is put a moritourm on building or declare every structure in the city historical.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2007, 12:46 AM

http://www.portlandonline.com/bds/in...153082&c=42262

can't get .pdfs to work today, so here's a link to the BDS application for a four story condo building at 47th and Burnside. Looks like it'll be called the Laurelview, there are some renders on the link

Old Posted Apr 28, 2007, 5:23 PM

I was riding the Yellow line yesterday and noticed site prep work at the old Thunderbird motel site across from Memorial Coliseum. I went to portlandmaps and found they have numerous "Commercial or Multi-Family Dwelling/Structure" permits approved and in the works. Anybody know anything.

1225 N THUNDERBIRD WAY

Old Posted Apr 28, 2007, 11:32 PM

There is probably something on the PDC website but I haven't heard anything

Old Posted Apr 29, 2007, 2:44 AM
Karma Police

Doesn't Paul Allen own the old Thunderbird site?

Old Posted Apr 29, 2007, 4:07 AM

⬆ I was under the same impression that Allen owned that site.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2007, 7:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65MAX View Post
Doesn't Paul Allen own the old Thunderbird site?
Yes. It's a Vulcan property.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2007, 7:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchE View Post
I was riding the Yellow line yesterday and noticed site prep work at the old Thunderbird motel site across from Memorial Coliseum. I went to portlandmaps and found they have numerous "Commercial or Multi-Family Dwelling/Structure" permits approved and in the works. Anybody know anything.

1225 N THUNDERBIRD WAY

Vulcan has studied numerous configurations for development, there. Not certain where it stands today. I can ask a couple people who have a good chance of knowing, though.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2007, 3:06 PM

this is a vulcan site and most recent studies that i'm aware of were for office buildings developed with gerding edlen...that was years ago....

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 11:21 PM

More recently, Vulcan has looked at housing possibilities, but that has gone quiet.

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 1:29 AM

just a suggestion for this thread: it would be cool if it were similar to the boom rundown lists in which on the first page every project is listed because it is so hard to keep track of them all otherwise, and if another project is announced it could be added to the front page. And maybe even classify as under construction, proposed etc. Unfortunately I did not start this thread so I can't go back and edit the first post. Mark can you do this? if you don't feel like doing the work I can do it and you can just copy and paste it onto the first post...
anyway here is a quick rundown of all of myhre group's project since I was just browsing their site most of these have probably already been posted before but feel free to point out any new ones or ones that are dead...
http://www.myhregroup.com/

20th & Morrison
Portland
Myhre Group Architects was responsible for the architectural design, interior design, and planning entitlements for this market-rate, mixed-use development in Southeast Portland, Oregon. The building is four stories in height and is constructed of light-gauge steel framing over a below-grade concrete parking structure. The design includes 40 condominium units and ground-floor commercial spaces, as well as full-site parking. The exterior of the building features large areas of glazing, exterior decks, and an architectural composition befitting of a multi-block development. The project contains a total of 81,000 square feet and is located on a 13,400-square-foot urban site. Construction is anticipated to begin in the spring of 2007 and is expected to be complete in the summer of 2008. The total construction cost of the project is $10 million.

Barbur Condos
Portland
Myhre Group Architects was responsible for the architectural design and planning entitlements for these market-rate condominiums in the Lair Hill neighborhood of Portland, Oregon. Notable for its involvement in the Green Building Council’s LEED-H (housing) sustainable building pilot program, the project would be the first of its kind adapting the standards for single family residential design for a low-rise multifamily building. The building is 4 stories in height and built of concrete and traditional wood frame construction. The design includes 18 dwelling units with aerial windows, traditional lap siding, and expressive translucent polycarbonate scrim. The project contains a total of 21,746 square feet building area on an 8,536-square-foot site. The total construction cost of the project is $2.4 million.

The Béranger
Gresham
Myhre Group Architects was responsible for the architectural design and planning entitlements for this market-rate commercial/retail and apartment community in Gresham, Oregon. The building is four stories in height and is constructed of a wood frame over a concrete slab-on-grade. The project consists of ground-floor retail, "tuck-under" parking, and 30 dwelling units. Of those 30 dwelling units, the second-story floorplan is particularly unique-each unit has a large floor plan with a loft. The building contains a total of 37,825 square feet of space located on a 23,520-square-foot site, and is located directly adjacent to the new Gresham Performing Arts Center. The project is currently in the schematic design phase. The estimated construction cost of the project is $3.5 million.

Civic Neighborhood
Gresham
Myhre Group Architects was responsible for the conceptual architectural design for this market-rate, mixed-use development in Gresham, Oregon. The two condominium buildings will be five to six stories in height over retail space and a below-grade concrete parking structure. In addition, there are live/work townhouses, with individual two-car garages, and the pedestrian-friendly Station Plaza and Central Canal Zone, which feature harvested rainwater features. The design includes approximately 180 dwelling units and 30,000 square feet of ground-floor commercial space on a 4.35-acre urban site. The development is architecturally-responsive to the design created for Phase I of this project—the Crossings at Gresham Station (completed in spring 2006).

Milwaukie Town Center
Milwaukie
Myhre Group Architects, in partnership with KemperCo, LLC, is responsible for the architectural design, master planning, interior design, and planning entitlements for this full-block, mixed-use condominium/retail community located in downtown Milwaukie, Oregon. The building is five stories in height along McLoughlin, stepping down to three stories along Main Street and will be constructed of post-tensioned concrete slab and light-gauge steel framing. The design includes structured parking, a central green space, harvested rainwater landscape features, 16,000 square feet of ground-floor retail, and 76 dwelling units. The project contains a total of 114,800 square feet and is located on a .96-acre site. The total construction cost of the project is estimated at $14 million.

The Montanas
Myhre Group Architects will be responsible for the architectural design and planning entitlements for this market-rate, condominium development in Northeast Portland, Oregon. The six-floor building will contain a mix of studios, one-bedroom, and two-bedroom units and features an eco-roof and a 14 below-grade parking spaces. All of the 22 units will feature balconies and views of either the West Hills or the Cascades. This project contains a total of 26,000 square feet and will be the first high-density residential project in the Arbor Lodge neighborhood, setting a precedent for Transit Oriented Development in this area.

Grant Place
Portland
Myhre Group Architects was responsible for the architectural design, interior design, and planning entitlements for this market-rate condominium community in the Hollywood District of Northeast Portland, Oregon. The building is six stories in height with a set-back penthouse level, and is constructed of post-tensioned concrete slab and light-gauge steel framing. The design includes structured parking behind a row of retail in a sloped to below-grade configuration, and 31 condominium units with large expanses of glazing and exterior decks. The project contains a total of 73,300 square feet and is located on a 13,835-square-foot urban site. Construction is anticipated to begin in the spring of 2007 and is expected to be completed in the spring of 2008. The total construction cost of the project is $10 million.

Lake Oswego D-Avenue
Lake Oswego
Myhre Group Architects was responsible for the architectural design, interior design, and planning entitlements for this market-rate condominium community in Lake Oswego, Oregon. The building is four stories in height over a daylit basement parking structure, and is constructed of post-tensioned concrete slab and light-gauge steel framing. The design includes a visitor drop-off area, exterior residential plazas, many LEED elements, and a total of 24 dwelling units. The project contains a total of 57,345 square feet and is located on a 14,000-square-foot site edging the perimeter of Lake Oswego. This ideal location is nestled near the banks of the majestic Willamette River. The project is expected to start construction in the fall of 2007. The estimated total construction cost of the project is $13.6 million.

Multnomah Village Lofts
Portland
Myhre Group Architects was responsible for the architectural design, interior design, and planning entitlements for this market-rate condominium community in Southwest Portland, Oregon. The building is four stories in height and is constructed of post-tensioned concrete slab and traditional wood framing. The design includes structured parking in a daylight basement configuration, 23 condominium units with a butterfly roof, large areas of glazing, and exterior decks. The project contains a total of 31,805 square feet and is located on a 17,812-square-foot urban site. Construction is expected to be complete in the spring of 2007. The total construction cost of the project is $3.65 million.

Murray & Jenkins
Beaverton
Myhre Group Architects was responsible for the architectural design, master planning, and planning entitlements for this eight-building, high-density condominium community located in Beaverton, Oregon. The buildings are all eight stories in height and are constructed of post-tensioned concrete slab and light-gage steel framing. The design includes 366 condominium flats, 18 townhomes, 761 parking spaces, spas, pools, barbeque pavilions, community clubhouses, and exercise rooms. The project contains a total of 672,858 square feet and is located on a 10-acre site. The estimated construction cost of the project is $56.4 million.

NE 181st
Portland
Myhre Group Architects will be responsible for the architectural design and planning entitlements for this mixed-use development in the Portland Metropolitan Area. The design includes 90 affordable housing units, office and commercial/retail space, 104 on-site parking spaces, and a gym and daycare for residents. To create a sense of community among residents, the building is structured around a central, elevated gathering courtyard space. The project contains a total of 169,700 square feet and is located on a 2.28 urban site.

North Main
Milwaukie
Myhre Group Architects, in partnership with Kemperco, LLC, was responsible for the architectural design, master planning, interior design, and planning entitlements for this six-building, market-rate, commercial/retail, apartment, rowhouse, and condominium community located in Downtown Milwaukie, Oregon. The buildings are all between two and four stories in height and are constructed of traditional wood framing, post-tensioned concrete slab, and light-gauge steel framing. The design includes surface and structured parking, a central green space, harvested rainwater landscape features, 8,468 square feet of ground-floor retail, and 97 dwelling units. The project contains a total of 109,602 square feet and is located on a 1.95-acre site. The total construction cost of the project is estimated at $10 million.

Overton
Portland
Myhre Group Architects was responsible for the architectural design, interior design, and planning entitlements for this market-rate condominium development in Northwest Portland, Oregon. The building is seven stories in height and is constructed of a combination of post-tensioned concrete, and a composite steel joist and concrete deck floor system. The design includes a full-site, below-grade, structured parking level, and 71 condominium units split between two towers with large areas of glazing, exterior decks, and a traditional Portland architectural style. The project contains a total of 115,000 square feet and is located on an 18,500-square-foot urban site. Construction is anticipated to begin in the spring of 2007 and is expected to be completed in the summer of 2008. The total construction cost of the project is $16.2 million.

now some of Holst's stuff http://www.holstarc.com/
NE 7th and Knott Townhomes
Portland

Meranti Lofts
Portland

Clintin Condominiums
Portland

Kurisu International
Portland

Burnside Rocket
Portland

H45
Portland

Backbridge Station
Portland

Beech 15
Portland

Lane 1919
Portland

Sophia's View
Portland

I know I missed some please post any I missed

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 1:51 AM

Dougall.
what you have labeled as "Backbridge Station" is incorrect.

I believe the project you are showing is actually proposed for upper Hawthorne, near JaCivas Bakery...

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 9:26 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

It's great to see all those projects... boy, a lot will be built from 2007-2008... wonder how many will actually go through tho? 50%? All? Hmm...

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougall
Unfortunately I did not start this thread so I can't go back and edit the first post. Mark can you do this? if you don't feel like doing the work I can do it and you can just copy and paste it onto the first post...
great idea Dougall, and thanks for the start! I will begin updating the first post in a couple of days when things quiet down here.

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 4:10 PM

What's the deal with the artsy windows on this project?

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 4:50 PM
Well designed mixed use

I walked by the Rocket last night. They've painted a graffiti mural near the entrance. It's not as hideous from the street level.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland