HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 1:08 PM
-

This sounds silly to me. If a game changing neighborhood hinges on completing a golf amusement facility in time for an event that last a weekend at best thats not a good sign for the overalll success of the project. I get people wanting things done for the Superbowl but there has to be more to the success of a neighborhood than that.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 4:54 PM

Metairie Towers to be sold to Dallas developer with New Orleans ties. A big reno is ahead.

https://www.nola.com/news/business/m...e=featured-top

A Dallas-based developer with deep ties to Old Metairie is set to purchase the former Metairie Towers condominium complex on Metairie Road and convert the 1970s-era property into high-end apartments.

Darren Aschaffenburg, a real-estate investor with projects in Louisiana and Texas, was selected from among nine investors who submitted proposals in December to purchase the building and redevelop the property. His offer of $24.5 million was the highest with the most favorable terms of those received by real estate broker Shaun McCarthy, whose firm, The McCarthy Group, marketed the property and vetted the proposals on behalf of the condominium's owners.

Unlike some of the proposals, which called for tearing down the property and building something new on the nearly four-acre site, Aschaffenburg said he plans to renovate the existing 219-unit building, which has been vacant since Hurricane Ida and was later gutted. He plans to keep the existing floor plan more or less intact, while significantly upgrading the units and common areas.

“It’s going to be a nice, Class A development with first-class amenities, fixtures, appliances, equipment, and finishes,” Aschaffenburg said. “We’re going to make it a beacon in the city of class and elegance.”

While the deal must still be approved by two-thirds of the building's condo owners and a state court judge, Aschaffenburg said he hopes to finalize the sale in June and could start construction later this summer.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 7:33 PM

I'll wait for some facts before I make a statement. I've seen too many "sources" turn out to be a whole bunch of nothing.

They added THIS to their website, not even a month ago. Doesn't seem that they're too concerned about anything at all.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 10:52 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingque View Post
I'll wait for some facts before I make a statement. I've seen too many "sources" turn out to be a whole bunch of nothing.

They added THIS to their website, not even a month ago. Doesn't seem that they're too concerned about anything at all.
I have to agree here. Sure I bet they are happy to have top golf in their project but thats not what their neighborhoods success is banking on nor that place being open in time for the superbowl.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2024, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDot View Post
Well they also have a major commitment/ agreement with Shell to build that new office high rise - so they better get the ball rolling.
Isnt that tied up in litigation?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2024, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socigradstudent View Post
I heard this as a well. I want to know what specifically this means. The plot thickens!
I have heard that the city council is trying to kill top golf. While i dont think the whole deal hinges on top golf, obviously not a good look or encouraging for developers when the first two announced projects have been completely unsupported by the city council, that being Top golf and Shell office. Really surprising that this current city council, especially Morell and Moreno are so against the largest development project in the history of the state. Says alot about how either would act as mayor and for development and growth that is concerning.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2024, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickapedia View Post
I have heard that the city council is trying to kill top golf. While i dont think the whole deal hinges on top golf, obviously not a good look or encouraging for developers when the first two announced projects have been completely unsupported by the city council, that being Top golf and Shell office. Really surprising that this current city council, especially Morell and Moreno are so against the largest development project in the history of the state. Says alot about how either would act as mayor and for development and growth that is concerning.
Typical politics at play here. No wonder the city struggles with economic development; because the people who run it- don’t want see prosperity. Sad.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2024, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickapedia View Post
as a voter of orleans parish, JP and Moreno have shown me countless times that they don’t care about education, housing and clearly nothing about the economic stability of the city(more so Moreno). They haven’t shown much support for many of these projects like the river District, Bayou phoenix, Lincoln Beach, Louisiana space campus office park or the Louisiana international container terminal. all of these project can directly and immediately diversify and give an extreme boost to the city’s and regions economy.

Being the at large members you would think they would focus more on things like The economy education and infrastructure. It’s clear they seem to be more worried about The mayor and an apartment then they are about how the city can grow its economy and grow its tax base in order to survive and thrive.

Then on the other side you have the mayor who is playing the politics game with them and has lost her vision and abandoned all economic promises that she told the citizens the past 8 years. The East, Gentilly and 9th ward still have little or no Retail in areas with crazy commenter data. lots of acreage / parking lots that would be turned into mix use developments w/ Office retail and housing components on them by now if our leaders had any type of will to move the economy forward. Many may not like it but New orleans can learn lots from Atlanta when it comes to reinventing itself, the cities are basically twins when it comes to demographic data in both the city proper’s and Metro’s.

Leslie Harris, Eugene Green and Oliver thomas are the only council members that i have seen actively working at community meetings for some of these projects.

Last edited by Gee32; Mar 20, 2024 at 9:15 PM.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2024, 10:13 PM

New Orleans falling apart man.

The people so used to nothing lol.

They don’t wanna build nun new .

You’ll be surprise at how many big corporations wanna move to New Orleans but the city state leaders don’t care.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2024, 10:14 PM

We will know more information on river district tomorrow
Council meeting for 10 am I believe

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 2:29 AM
NOLA Razorback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green0007 View Post
I presume the River District developers are just trying to get leverage over recent opposition, but this is a tremendously bad sign for the overall development. I don't see how the whole project can hinge on TG. Would be a massive failure if the only product of the River District is Top Golf, with none of the promised work force housing etc. I'd prefer it remained undeveloped if all they can do is top golf.

Gensler is currently working on the facility needs assessment for the Smoothie King center. Assuming they conclude the facility is inadequate for an NBA franchise, I would not be surprised if we see the River District parcels announced for a new stadium given the inability to develop anything else.
Tbh as someone that lives close by I don't want the Top Golf to happen.

A. it's fucking ugly with huge ass nets and bright lights literally abutting a gd historic district. And b. the developers have been shady af presenting housing/affordable housing and a grocery store then magically doing away with that and changing it to a Top Golf?.. Which this city def does not need two of. It's a bait and switch and classic NO bullshit. If the rest of the development is hinged on a stupid golf course then we're better off without it. They're going to sell the land at way below market value to a company that doesn't need a discount and give them a tax break like letting gd Shell have a tax break. This city/state is falling apart because politicians in this city/state whore themselves out to corporations that do not benefit anyone and push all the cost on us taxpayers/homeowners... (Literally half of the taxable real estate in the city isn't taxed) and barely any of these corporations pay any taxes while destroying our environment or giving people cancer. We can do a lot better.

What this city actually needs is affordable housing.. And another grocery store would be a welcome bonus for the neighborhood. Talk to anyone that's a neighbor. They're fine with the original proposal and not this shady BS. A top golf is literally not going to change anything economically. Minimum wage jobs and what happens if it fails? The city will sell them the land for only $7mil then they'll sell it for twice that.. and Shell already has their shop in the CBD after sending most of it to Houston, so what does them moving to a tax free spot (lol with record profits) say about supporting our CBD downtown, especially since they continue to downsize?

If there has to be a top golf, put it on the river away from a historic neighborhood where literally no one nearby will benefit from or wants it. An AMC makes so much more sense for locals/the neighborhood. Want the neighborhood/city to actually thrive? Make it affordable so locals can actually live there rather than hold your breath for a corporation to magically come save everything which doesn't happen anywhere. If we didn't whore out the tax breaks we'd be in the top 5 wealthiest states in the country btw. lol

Last edited by jjslonaker; Mar 21, 2024 at 2:47 AM.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 3:46 AM

Mannnn idc about nun of that !

Lights
Historic neighborhood nothing !!

Build it !!

Lucky it ain’t up to me. I’ll build hotels skyscrapers and a new arena

lol just get some blinds if the lights too bright.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco96 View Post
We will know more information on river district tomorrow
Council meeting for 10 am I believe
Looks like the vote got pushed back. Developers and residents are still at odds. https://www.nola.com/news/business/n...26945.amp.html

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 4:01 AM
NOLA Razorback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco96 View Post
Mannnn idc about nun of that !

Lights
Historic neighborhood nothing !!

Build it !!

Lucky it ain’t up to me. I’ll build hotels skyscrapers and a new arena ������������

lol just get some blinds if the lights too bright.
LMAO.. I'm glad you're not an urban planner. Houston and the lack of zoning would suit you well!

At the end of the day the developers proposed housing along with multiple affordable housing units and a grocery store for multiple years and got approval, then switched to this BS. It's classic shady NO business and locals deserve better than a stupid glorified driving range and I'm generally very pro YIMBY most of the time but not for this shit. I'm all for the rest of the development, sans especially Shell/everyone else getting a tax break. The other golf location makes 1000 times more sense.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 4:01 AM

I also live, work, and own property within a few blocks of the future River District. I'm generally pro development, and I'm absolutely in favor of returning that land to commerce. I'm not in favor of huge public subsidies to national and international companies, and it makes me resentful as sit here trying to afford a $20k property tax bill.

I don't care too much either way if Top Golf is built there, but I live far enough away that I won't have lights shining in my windows. I'm sure I'd be way more anti if I lived closer. I also don't think we need two similar businesses so close, and I'd much rather support the one at the old TP site.

At this point I feel like the city/state should just sell the land instead of signing a contract no one seems to have had time to read, and on first glance doesn't guarantee anything except for an enormous windfall to the developers.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 4:15 AM
NOLA Razorback

Quote:
Originally Posted by olligator View Post
I also live, work, and own property within a few blocks of the future River District. I'm generally pro development, and I'm absolutely in favor of returning that land to commerce. I'm not in favor of huge public subsidies to national and international companies, and it makes me resentful as sit here trying to afford a $20k property tax bill.

I don't care too much either way if Top Golf is built there, but I live far enough away that I won't have lights shining in my windows. I'm sure I'd be way more anti if I lived closer. I also don't think we need two similar businesses so close, and I'd much rather support the one at the old TP site.

At this point I feel like the city/state should just sell the land instead of signing a contract no one seems to have had time to read, and on first glance doesn't guarantee anything except for an enormous windfall to the developers.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 5:44 AM

There was an article in the Times-Picayune maybe 6 years ago about the command center that Shell built at one shell square /Hancock Whitney center to oversee their Gulf operations.. The article made it sound like it was extremely expensive and something that basically guaranteed that they would be staying. If they're moving to River District I assume they're taking it with them which means they could also end up just moving it to Houston. My question is if there are any job guarantees at all or if we're just giving Shell the ability to build a new office for cheap which they might then leave and sublet. I know Louisiana has advantages over Texas when it comes to access to the Gulf oil fields but I'm not sure how much they need the Gulf headquarters to be here.

Last edited by Chris from N.O.; Mar 21, 2024 at 6:52 AM.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 1:05 PM

careful y'all, there are some on this forum who are ravenous for top golf, against all intelligent development logic.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjslonaker View Post
Tbh as someone that lives close by I don't want the Top Golf to happen.

A. it's fucking ugly with huge ass nets and bright lights literally abutting a gd historic district. And b. the developers have been shady af presenting housing/affordable housing and a grocery store then magically doing away with that and changing it to a Top Golf?.. Which this city def does not need two of. It's a bait and switch and classic NO bullshit. If the rest of the development is hinged on a stupid golf course then we're better off without it. They're going to sell the land at way below market value to a company that doesn't need a discount and give them a tax break like letting gd Shell have a tax break. This city/state is falling apart because politicians in this city/state whore themselves out to corporations that do not benefit anyone and push all the cost on us taxpayers/homeowners... (Literally half of the taxable real estate in the city isn't taxed) and barely any of these corporations pay any taxes while destroying our environment or giving people cancer. We can do a lot better.

What this city actually needs is affordable housing.. And another grocery store would be a welcome bonus for the neighborhood. Talk to anyone that's a neighbor. They're fine with the original proposal and not this shady BS. A top golf is literally not going to change anything economically. Minimum wage jobs and what happens if it fails? The city will sell them the land for only $7mil then they'll sell it for twice that.. and Shell already has their shop in the CBD after sending most of it to Houston, so what does them moving to a tax free spot (lol with record profits) say about supporting our CBD downtown, especially since they continue to downsize?

If there has to be a top golf, put it on the river away from a historic neighborhood where literally no one nearby will benefit from or wants it. An AMC makes so much more sense for locals/the neighborhood. Want the neighborhood/city to actually thrive? Make it affordable so locals can actually live there rather than hold your breath for a corporation to magically come save everything which doesn't happen anywhere. If we didn't whore out the tax breaks we'd be in the top 5 wealthiest states in the country btw. lol
while I agree it may not be the most physically attractive development in the world, I dont buy the bait and switch argument. Any development of this size goes through many iterations from concept to reality. I am sure the developers are reacting to the needs to prospective tenants while also trying to balance that the river parcels are the most valuable portion of the RDNI district and therefore the logical place for high value portions of the development. Just because their original plan showed something in one place does not mean that is how it has to be from now to eternity. Even if they were talking to top golf at that time, it doesnt mean top gold had made a decision on where in the river district they wanted to be. Thats called working through a development project, not a bait and switch.

Also it needs to be stated that your understanding of the RDNI deal and top golf deal are fundamentally incorrect. RDNI is a consortium of developers that master lease the land parcels which are owned by the convention center, not the city. The convention center and the city are two different things. But as a public entity the convention center doesnt pay property tax. So all those vacant lots currently generate $0 for the city. For the shell deal, the developers of RDNI are asking for a tax break that freezes taxes at current levels (ie zero) for 15 years. That break doesnt go to shell, it goes to RDNI developers to help make the numbers work to build an office building that they can then turn around and lease to shell. The shell deal is an important first step to build momentum for the greater river district and ultimately provides the city with a new class A office building and an anchor tenant to make the overall project work. In 15 years shell could leave and another tenant could come in. Also in 15 years the property would be paying property taxes which by my count is better than the zero dollars in property taxes it currently pays. Shell doesnt own the building they are leasing it. To cover the high costs of construction shell is probably paying way more in rent than they do at their current building. So viewed that way, shell is making a strong commitment to the city, which in a city with declining population, weak economic growth and few stable employers is a good thing. Those workers in the district will support new retail in the district which in turns creates jobs and provides new sales taxes to the city. Again, something positive for the city vs nothing as it currently sits.

For top golf, there is no similar tax break as the shell deal. The RDNI developers are leasing the land from the convention center and then turning around and leasing the land to top golf. It will generate sales tax, employment and property tax from day one. Again, that site currently generates zero in property tax income because its owned by the convention center. The only thing at issue is whether the city and convention center do a land swap so that Melpomene street can jog around the full length of top golf. Thats it. No subsidies, no shady dollars, just a land swap between public entities to jog an underused section of Melpomene street.

As an affordable housing developer i can tell you that affordable housing development only happens with a huge amount of public subsidy. I am sure the RDNI development team will be hard at work trying to get those subsidies over the next few years. If you really want to see affordable housing creation, you should be lobbying the council to allocate a larger % of the new tax revenues generated at top golf to fund adjacent affordable housing developments. Its way too easy to stand on a pedestal and say "we need more affordable housing" without doing anything to fund it. Affordable housing costs more than market rate housing to building and requires a boat load of government cash from feds, state and local. NOLA has done a terrible job of subsidizing this. If they did a better job, you would see more developers like me building more. But without more $$s for affordable housing (or a magic wand) all the cries for affordable housing will continue to be shrill voices screaming into an empty void.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 2:57 PM
-

Ok after reading all this crap I realize this is a waste of time . so i’m out . i’ll post on my tumblr from time to time but that’s it .

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations