HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted May 26, 2022, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Permit for renovations of 206 King St E.. This would be great news if it happens..

The building currently:

In my head I always wanted this to be a music venue with multiple levels, no idea if that's conducive but it has that 90s music venue/nightclub vibe

Old Posted May 26, 2022, 6:57 PM
Hammer'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftbeerdad View Post
In my head I always wanted this to be a music venue with multiple levels, no idea if that's conducive but it has that 90s music venue/nightclub vibe
Probably way too much space but that'd be amazing. Kinda like the old kathedral in Toronto.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted May 26, 2022, 7:25 PM

Oh I how miss that venue (hard to believe it's a furniture store) and a few others. Saw many a concert at the Big Bop & Kathedral and played there multiple times as well.

In other Village news, Absinthe is returning to its original location at 233 King ST E.

Old Posted May 27, 2022, 2:47 PM

I really hope we get a good reno at 206 King. I'd love to see some windows in there, after it being covered for so long.

Also, thanks for giving Absinte's old address. I was trying to remember where exactly it was, but couldn't place it!

Old Posted May 27, 2022, 2:52 PM

Is that the same location of The Cow in the 90s? Anyone?

Old Posted May 27, 2022, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Permit for renovations of 206 King St E.. This would be great news if it happens..

The building currently:

That north wall, i would be very excited to see what is behind the siding . love to dream that that will be full window wall.

Old Posted May 30, 2022, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapht View Post
Is that the same location of The Cow in the 90s? Anyone?
That's a good question. I remember going there and not being sure where exactly it was afterwards. I do remember when they left there hearing the rumour that the landlord booted them because they wanted to open their own bar so that tracks.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2022, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
Anyone got any idea what's going on here? It was for sale a while ago and now there is a "project"

Forge & Foster purchased it.
The first 3 units from Rebecca & James, currently listed trying to find some new tenants. Corner unit is quite large but very run down atm

Old Posted Jun 2, 2022, 6:25 PM

Out in today's Spec.

Downtown boom town: ‘Hamilton is the new Brooklyn'

https://www.thespec.com/news/hamilto...velopment.html

Old Posted Jun 3, 2022, 2:42 AM
It's a nickname from work

Taking a moment to distract from this dreadful election, here are tue conceptual plans for Delta - the 70s additions will be demolished, and in their place two 14 storey buildings and two 11 storey buildings are proposed at the rear. The side streets will be fronted by 3 storey townhouses. There will be internal driveways for service vehicles, and to access both surface and internal parking. As youd expect, there are over 100 more parking spaces than units. The original portion of the building will be completely retained, and hopefully given a wash. The auditorium could be retained for amenity purposes.

First Development Concept for East Hamilton’s Delta Secondary School Site Submitted to City - https://www.thepublicrecord.ca/2022/...itted-to-city/

Quote:
New Horizon Development Group is proposing to build four mid-rise buildings and six blocks of townhouses on the rear portion of the Delta Secondary School site and to retrofit the heritage-designated former high school building for residential use.

The Delta Secondary building opened in 1924 and was Hamilton’s oldest secondary school when it closed in 2019.

The building’s heritage designation includes protection of its Modern Gothic style architecture that “ boasts handsome building elevations in Milton red rug brick and Tyndall limestone – the first such use of this stone building material in Hamilton and one of the first instances of its use in Ontario.”

New Horizon was the high bidder to purchase the site from the Hamilton-Wentworth District School Board earlier this year. Delta Joint Venture Inc. is the corporation created by New Horizon for this development.

The City of Hamilton’s planning staff are reviewing the developer’s first Formal Consultation proposal.

Hamilton’s formal consultation process enables developers to pitch early concepts to the City for comment prior to filing their official planning application.

The City’s internal Development Review Team will meet with the developer this coming Wednesday to discuss the plan.

708 residential units are envisioned in this early conceptual proposal.

583 units are proposed in two 14-storey residential buildings and two 11-story buildings behind the existing former school building. 51 three-storey townhouses are proposed along Graham Avenue, Maple Avenue, and Wexford Avenue.

The Delta Secondary buildings will contain 74 units.

858 vehicle parking spaces are proposed, of which 756 will be underground. 366 long-term bicycle parking spaces are pitched, as well as 30 short-term bicycling parking spots.

GSP Group Inc is the planning agent for the project. Graziani + Corazza Architects created the preliminary renderings and design for the project. Whitehouse Urban Design, a company affiliated with UrbanSolutions Planning and Land Development, prepared the design brief explaining how the proposal integrates and respects the Cultural Heritage Value of the existing school building.

This early proposal is now being circulated to the dozens of City divisions which review aspects of applications. Following circulation, the City will provide comments and recommended changes to the developer.

Developers traditionally modify their early proposals before making their official applications under the Planning Act.

The final proposal will require rezoning approval from either City Council or the Ontario Land Tribunal.

The property, 1284 Main Street East, is currently zoned “Institutional 2,” which does not permit the proposed residential uses.

Neighbouring properties along Main Street are zoned “Transit Oriented Corridor Zone 1.”

TOC1 permits building heights of up to 22 metres, which translates to six or seven stories.

This site has over four times the depth of any other site along Main Street east of the Delta [the intersection where King and Main Streets cross] and is multiples larger than any other property in this area.

Larger properties along the LRT corridor that are zoned TOC4 are permitted up to 40.0 metres.

Once submitted, the final proposal will be reviewed by Hamilton’s Design Review Panel before going to City Council’s Planning Committee for approval.

If approved, construction timelines will be subject to approval by Metrolinx because the site is along the B-Line LRT route.
I'm on my phone so I can't include photos, but there are preliminary renderings in the article.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2022, 3:14 AM

This is horrific. Like grade A garbage. The site plan is terrible, and the massing is mediocre. So much space is useless grass and asphalt.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Jun 3, 2022, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeHamilton View Post
Out in today's Spec.

Downtown boom town: ‘Hamilton is the new Brooklyn'

https://www.thespec.com/news/hamilto...velopment.html
Can someone copy and paste the article or do the paywall removal link, please and thank you?

Old Posted Jun 3, 2022, 4:57 PM
Ham-burgher

Old Posted Jun 3, 2022, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftbeerdad View Post
Can someone copy and paste the article or do the paywall removal link, please and thank you?
https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%...velopment.html

Old Posted Jun 4, 2022, 11:20 AM

Nice article but I wish they would have been more independent with what's under construction but even more so proposed. I don't think that many people in Hamilton outside of us on thus site really realize how much is going on. Also what was that tool used to get around that pay wall?

Old Posted Jun 4, 2022, 12:39 PM
Burger Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_planner View Post
Nice article but I wish they would have been more independent with what's under construction but even more so proposed. I don't think that many people in Hamilton outside of us on thus site really realize how much is going on. Also what was that tool used to get around that pay wall?
Agreed, they didn't touch on so many proposals! Also 12ft Ladder is the current best website to use to bypass paywalls - https://12ft.io/ copy a paywalled link and past it into their website. Outline used to be the goto but they suddenly vanished one day?

Old Posted Jun 4, 2022, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StEC View Post
Agreed, they didn't touch on so many proposals! Also 12ft Ladder is the current best website to use to bypass paywalls - https://12ft.io/ copy a paywalled link and past it into their website. Outline used to be the goto but they suddenly vanished one day?
Thanks for the link.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2022, 10:09 PM

Old Posted Jun 5, 2022, 4:42 PM
It's Hammer Time

^ Looks like a miniature version of the Hamilton GO Station

Old Posted Jun 5, 2022, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
^ Looks like a miniature version of the Hamilton GO Station
Good comparison. Looks like they're trying to do an art déco style thing. It could look cool, but I hate the original heritage building being covered.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton