HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted May 21, 2012, 7:27 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

GETTYSBURG, PA: Through Glowrock's Lens

This past weekend I attended a friend of mine's graduation from Dickinson College in Carlisle, PA. I ended up spending the night in Harrisburg, and realized I had time to either do a photo tour of Harrisburg or head to Gettysburg, so of course I chose Gettysburg! Unfortunately, I didn't really have time to explore the battlefield sites themselves, but I did have a chance to walk around town a bit. Here are my photos from that couple of hours!

Aaron (Glowrock)

---------------------------------------------------------------------

In front of the Gettysburg National Battlefield Visitor Center:

A corner of the main square downtown:

Gettysburg Hotel, I believe established in 1791!

Majestic Theatre:

Where I ate lunch!

Historic architecture abounds:

Another of the Gettysburg Hotel, right on the main square:

Lots of art galleries and antique shops:

Lots of pubs, of course!

Gorgeous!

Ernies... TEXAS Lunch??? WTF???

Another historic hotel:

More amazing architectural details...

Free trolley around town!

Rows... And rows... And rows...

Current library, perhaps old courthouse?

Clocktower:

Centrally Located!

Hershey's only about an hour away! Heh

Fourscore and seven years ago...

Civil War, but of course...

So good you'll want to kiss cow!

Agricultural roots:

Last edited by glowrock; May 21, 2012 at 7:38 PM.

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 12:34 AM

Very nice photo thread. Gettysburg is an amazing and beautiful town. The Historic impact of the town has made it into a well preserved and vibrant gem. Many of the towns in eastern Pennsylvania have an amazing stock of old historic structures, but Gettysburg's is preserved in plastic wrap.

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 12:52 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Great pics.
I hope they throw another battle sometime though. They've been milking that last one for so long, I just wish they'd update things with a new skermish, nothing fancy maybe just like 20,000 deaths or so to keep things interesting.

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 1:28 AM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubicalRebel View Post
Very nice photo thread. Gettysburg is an amazing and beautiful town. The Historic impact of the town has made it into a well preserved and vibrant gem. Many of the towns in eastern Pennsylvania have an amazing stock of old historic structures, but Gettysburg's is preserved in plastic wrap.

Yeah, it's amazing how many towns in eastern and central PA have such a fantastic stock of old historic buildings. I took a different route back here to Pittsburgh from Carlisle last night, and ended up going through Chambersburg. That's another small city with what looks like a pretty amazing collection of historic buildings!

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 3:40 AM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

It's a very nice town.

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 6:20 AM
furified freestyle

gettysburg and chambersburg ... man, you were all over my old stompin' grounds. i went to college at shippensburg and spent a lot of time in both places, and of course the appalachian roads traveling between them. i love gettysburg. i presume you've been out to the battlefields before, yeah? nice pics man, love seeing the place here. one of my best friends from PA was there this weekend too.

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 10:00 AM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by giovanni sasso View Post
gettysburg and chambersburg ... man, you were all over my old stompin' grounds. i went to college at shippensburg and spent a lot of time in both places, and of course the appalachian roads traveling between them. i love gettysburg. i presume you've been out to the battlefields before, yeah? nice pics man, love seeing the place here. one of my best friends from PA was there this weekend too.
Actually, I haven't been to the battlefields before, Gio. This was my first visit to Gettysburg, and definitely need to get back there to do MUCH more investigating... Of course I need to get my photo tour of Harrisburg and certainly do my HersheyPark visit as well!

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 10:35 AM

Enjoyed your photos, Gettysburg is a must see destination. I don't want to start a food fight, but I have two words for anyone who visits Gettysburg: Lincoln Diner!!

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 10:57 AM
Eurosceptic

Beautiful photos, glow. It appears you made the right choice.

Love the Lord Nelson's sign, the Birthday Cakes Building and all the people riding scooters.

As for Ernie's "Texas Lunch"... I am assuming that's referring to a unique type of "chili dog" introduced to Pennsylvania by Greek immigrants. It's common throughout PA... I can think of "Texas Hot / Texas Lunch" restaurants in Altoona, DuBois and Kane.

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 12:20 PM
@LaidByMonty

What a super looking town. Stupid me lived in Baltimore for five years and never made the short trip.

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 1:44 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box2565 View Post
Enjoyed your photos, Gettysburg is a must see destination. I don't want to start a food fight, but I have two words for anyone who visits Gettysburg: Lincoln Diner!!
I'll definitely check it out the next time I'm in town. The place I went to was really quite good, but it does look like Gettysburg has LOTS of great places to eat and drink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
Beautiful photos, glow. It appears you made the right choice.

Love the Lord Nelson's sign, the Birthday Cakes Building and all the people riding scooters.

As for Ernie's "Texas Lunch"... I am assuming that's referring to a unique type of "chili dog" introduced to Pennsylvania by Greek immigrants. It's common throughout PA... I can think of "Texas Hot / Texas Lunch" restaurants in Altoona, DuBois and Kane.
Thanks for the kind words, my friend. And also for the information on exactly what the heck a "Texas Lunch" is, for I had no idea about that whatsoever!

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 2:10 PM
3rd Coast King

gettysburg packs in a lot for a small town. Lots of great old buildings and they look like they are in really good shape still.

My Book

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 6:04 PM
furified freestyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post
Actually, I haven't been to the battlefields before, Gio. This was my first visit to Gettysburg, and definitely need to get back there to do MUCH more investigating... Of course I need to get my photo tour of Harrisburg and certainly do my HersheyPark visit as well!

Aaron (Glowrock)
damn dude, you can't say you've been to gettysburg and not have been to the battlefields! that's like claiming you've been to chicago but only stopped at o'hare on a layover. on top of the pivotal american history, the scenery of the battlefields is vintage pennsylvania, and the richard neutra cyclorama building is an endangered specimen of mid-century modern. see it while you still can. if you have time, the eisenhower homestead is somewhat interesting, and the adams county apple orchards are beautiful too, especially (obviously) at harvest.

Box2565: i'll accept your food fight. forget the lincoln diner -- general pickett's buffet wins every time!

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 6:22 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
damn dude, you can't say you've been to gettysburg and not have been to the battlefields! that's like claiming you've been to chicago but only stopped at o'hare on a layover. on top of the pivotal american history, the scenery of the battlefields is vintage pennsylvania, and the richard neutra cyclorama building is an endangered specimen of mid-century modern. see it while you still can. if you have time, the eisenhower homestead is somewhat interesting, and the adams county apple orchards are beautiful too, especially (obviously) at harvest.

Box2565: i'll accept your food fight. forget the lincoln diner -- general pickett's buffet wins every time!

I actually did see the cyclorama, but it was inside of the new visitor's center/museum off of Baltimore Pike... Or are there two of them in town?

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 9:33 PM
furified freestyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post
I actually did see the cyclorama, but it was inside of the new visitor's center/museum off of Baltimore Pike... Or are there two of them in town?

Aaron (Glowrock)
there's only one cyclorama, but there are two buildings. the visitors center it's in is newish, within the last five years or so. the original cyclorama building is by richard neutra, one of the most formidable mid-century american architects (he's most famous for his work around palm springs). the old one was deemed outdated by the jackasses of the NPS and the age old problem of surviving the grandfather's generation. it's still there, but last i heard there were plans to demolish it. not sure where that is now though.

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 10:55 PM
Honored Member

Excellent downtown tour. I visited the area in 2008 and saw the visitors' center and part of the battlefieds, but didn't make time for the downtown. To see it all would take days, but it would be time well spent.

Better than ever and always growing: [url=http://www.robertpence.com][b]My Photography Web Site[/b][/url]

Old Posted May 23, 2012, 9:03 AM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
there's only one cyclorama, but there are two buildings. the visitors center it's in is newish, within the last five years or so. the original cyclorama building is by richard neutra, one of the most formidable mid-century american architects (he's most famous for his work around palm springs). the old one was deemed outdated by the jackasses of the NPS and the age old problem of surviving the grandfather's generation. it's still there, but last i heard there were plans to demolish it. not sure where that is now though.
Ahh, now I understand. Thanks for the info, Gio!

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted May 24, 2012, 1:33 AM
Corporate logo

Great photos. See any ghosts???

Old Posted May 24, 2012, 3:49 AM
Beer Stampede

Nice job on the Gettysburg shoot!! Some really great shots here!!

Old Posted May 24, 2012, 7:07 AM
Motor City Mountaineer

Oh my gosh! My parents have lived in Chambersburg and Hagerstown, MD. We used to always go to Gettysburg and the talk of HersheyPark made me so nostalgic. Very nice, unexpected thread. Thank you!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos